As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Deus Ex: Mankind Divided, but not over the lameness of countdowns

• Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    I've played through both. They're definitely improved, but still not great. I'd still have the Aug ready just in case.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Dirty wrote: »
    The one aug suggestion that I have, regardless of play-style, is the Typhoon Explosive System. The boss fights are kind of the low point of this game, and the upgraded Typhoon is basically an easy button for them.

The Wii U version is the Director's Cut, I believe, so boss fights shouldn't be as bad given that you have other options than pour bullets into them.

How do you stealth Tychus (The first boss)?

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    Yo, I cleared that room from above with minimal effort, thanks for the heads up on the alternate route!

Now I'm cleaning this place out. Noticed a lot of mentions of a Manderley on these FEMA computers. I feel like that's a name from the original game, but I remember virtually nothing about it. Should I remember that guy? ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    The one aug suggestion that I have, regardless of play-style, is the Typhoon Explosive System. The boss fights are kind of the low point of this game, and the upgraded Typhoon is basically an easy button for them.

The Wii U version is the Director's Cut, I believe, so boss fights shouldn't be as bad given that you have other options than pour bullets into them.

Well, I don't think there's any true stealth options. But I used the invisibility to get from terminal to terminal to open those doors and turn the turrets against him. I guess that's kinda stealthy.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Yo, I cleared that room from above with minimal effort, thanks for the heads up on the alternate route!

Now I'm cleaning this place out. Noticed a lot of mentions of a Manderley on these FEMA computers. I feel like that's a name from the original game, but I remember virtually nothing about it. Should I remember that guy? ;P
    Your boss at UNATCO.

• Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular

Congrats on clearing that room! I tend to favour the high ground whenever possible.

And yeah, like cB said, Manderley is the head of UNATCO by 2052 when the original game takes place.

• Options
    BOSS FIIIIIGHT

yo that was the most intense bit of hacking I ever did do.
    Noticed some turrets sitting around, and I lucked into a Praxis point as the fight started. Barrett kindly blew a door open for me. Hacked a terminal in there that gave me access to the turrets. BOOP. He managed to blow one up before it did any damage. Second one took him down.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular

Well, I don't think there's any true stealth options. But I used the invisibility to get from terminal to terminal to open those doors and turn the turrets against him. I guess that's kinda stealthy.
    I recall going up into a vent somewhere, and slowly sniping him to death through a grate. Does that count?

• Options
    hippofant wrote: »

I recall going up into a vent somewhere, and slowly sniping him to death through a grate. Does that count?

Close enough.

• Options
    Just got up to what turns out to be the Missing Link DLC, only here it's integrated into the game. Gotta say... not a fan. Losing all my augs is a neat idea, but then getting them back seems to be restricted to a very specific build, you need like level 4 hacking to get at some of the Praxis kits, and I just don't have the points to spare. :I

Trying to google info about it mentions a dump of 7 Praxis kits near the start which I guess I just walked past and can't get now. Would've been nice if they had a marker on em! THEY'RE KINDA IMPORTANT! So maybe if I'd had them this section of the game wouldn't have been so ball breaking. As is, was an unfun slog. And the weird back and forth through the sections with the biometric scan loading walls is very strangely designed.

So do I get all my stuff back at the end of this? Or was I just expected to find enough Praxis and XP throughout this wild ride to make up the difference?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    You get all your stuff back.

• Options
    JutranjoJutranjo Registered User regular
    What happens if you rebuy upgrades you already had?

• Options
    They just give you a ton of praxis kits equal to the number of skill points you earned prior.

I don't like that section, but it's a good opportunity to respec.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    You just get all the points you had before the dlc and essentially get to respec before moving forward. Any points you gain during missing link are bonuses!

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Beat Missing Link. It got a lot more fun once I'd gotten a little breathing room and actually was able to do stuff. Ended up getting the recharge batteries first, so I could do a bunch of takedowns. I can't fathom ghosting that section, I was alarming like every room, at certain times just running through laser grids or past cameras cause I had no options. Really wish I'd found the 7 Praxis kits at the start, I imagine just that tiny bit of leverage would have made it a lot more fun to play.

The choice at the end, I managed to find a third way! Followed the pipe from the console into a hidden room, managed to disable the gas at source, saved everyone. <3

Also I found Burke's revolver when ransacking the place, pawned it at the shop for a Praxis kit. Reading up on it after, turns out this deprives him of it during the boss fight. Hah!

So with how this sequence begins and ends, I could see it being excised without missing a beat. In the original release, did it feel like there was something missing in between getting in the pod and getting out? And was it cut content, or something developed after release and that was the most natural place to put it?

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    It was odd..but I can't remember if they mention the passing of time while you are in the pod or not. Either way I don't remember feeling like I'd missed anything, just that the transit took a longer time than expected. What is fun is getting Factory Zero, which definitely is pushing it for a first run through, that plus the third option are a pretty entertaining combination.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The expansion plotline kinda explains some things about what you face at the end of the game.

• Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It also connects HR to the original a bit more

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    Finished!
    Hahahah, the original theme playing at the end of the credits is very jarring and outta place here. :P

I chose the blow it all up ending. I didn't agree with any of the 3 options, and letting people figure it out for themselves felt like the thing Adam would want.

Then I read the plot synopsis for Mankind Divided and got sad. I killed everyone for nothing, they covered it up. :<

this game was overall fantastic, and I wish I'd played it sooner. But leaving it so late means I have less time to wait for Mankind Divided at least! ;D

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Endgame spoiler
    Isn't the "blow it all up ending" the one that's canon anyway? I recall a trailer for Mankind Divided showing Jensen in the ocean after the destruction of Panchaea.

• Options
    AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    Endgame spoiler
    Isn't the "blow it all up ending" the one that's canon anyway? I recall a trailer for Mankind Divided showing Jensen in the ocean after the destruction of Panchaea.

I certanly hope not, and we will get some kind of "hybrid" canon ending anyway.
    MY Adam Jensen is not a murderer!

• Options
    Asthariel wrote: »
    Endgame spoiler

I certanly hope not, and we will get some kind of "hybrid" canon ending anyway.
    MY Adam Jensen is not a murderer!
    Maybe right after Jensen makes his decision, but right before anything happens, some higher up blows it up to keep it under wraps. Same outcome regardless of choice, and your personal narrative remains intact.

• Options
    yossarian_livesyossarian_lives Registered User regular
    Meh, they'll probably just have the place blow up no matter what you actually chose, thus negating all decisions and setting up the new game.

"I see everything twice!"

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Nah, it's a Deus ex sequel, all the endings happened. And then random aliens appear.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Are the other Deus Ex games still canon (DX1 and DX2)?

I'm not sure if DX:HR was a prequel or a reboot of the entire thing, after the shit show that was DX2.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    Are the other Deus Ex games still canon (DX1 and DX2)?

I'm not sure if DX:HR was a prequel or a reboot of the entire thing, after the shit show that was DX2.

Deus Ex is definitely still canon

HR Spoilers
    Bob Page, the main antagonist of DX is shown at the end of HR talking about an AI which turns into Morpheus in DX and a virus which eventually becomes the Grey Death in DX.

Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    Oh yeah, I completely forgot about that.

I stand by my point about DX2

• Options
    I never really played the old games. I mean, I tried the original, but without the nostalgia goggles, I can't get past how clunky and dated it all feels.

• Options
    Deus Ex was groundbreaking for it's time (which is why I love it so).

But yeah it did not age well.

In Karl's ideal world, they'll just remake it with modern gameplay/graphics after DX:Mankind Divided.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I love Deus Ex, it's one of the old games that I still play. I find it very playable.

• Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2016
    I love Deus Ex, it's one of the old games that I still play. I find it very playable.

Agreed. I can't deny some parts seeming dated but I'd still play Deus Ex over pretty much anything.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    If they redid the first DX the internet would implode with rage, regardless of the final product.

• Options
    Remakes of classics are entirely possible

XCOM:Enemy Unknown is a perfect example.

• Options

Oh I'd love a remake.

I'm just saying...

• Options
    I never got too far in the original Deus Ex either. Think I ended up watching a friend play it. I got as far as shooting a person in the head with a tranq round and it having no effect. Couldn't handle that. ;P

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    I never got too far in the original Deus Ex either. Think I ended up watching a friend play it. I got as far as shooting a person in the head with a tranq round and it having no effect. Couldn't handle that. ;P
    Tranq rounds do have an effect, it just takes a bit for them to work. They're not a stealth option, they're purely there for if you want to be a pacifist.

• Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular

Its doable, what I have trouble with is picturing a remake thats as big as the original was, DX is a long ass game and modern development costs have pushed games towards shorter lengths.

The FF7 remake was apparantly on he back burner for years for this exact reason, another long as hell game that becomes potentially very costly when you try to modernize it.

• Options
    QuiotuQuiotu Registered User regular
    Jeedan wrote: »

Its doable, what I have trouble with is picturing a remake thats as big as the original was, DX is a long ass game and modern development costs have pushed games towards shorter lengths.

The FF7 remake was apparantly on he back burner for years for this exact reason, another long as hell game that becomes potentially very costly when you try to modernize it.

The trick is to remake it so that you keep interest with both the folks who played the old games, and the folk who played the newer games and we're curious about the older games. It's a tough balancing act, but it's been done before.

wbee62u815wj.png
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »
    Tranq rounds do have an effect, it just takes a bit for them to work. They're not a stealth option, they're purely there for if you want to be a pacifist.
    I seem to recall tranq darts knocking people out immediately on a headshot - so they can be a stealth option, if you have good aim/the right upgrades.

Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    Quiotu wrote: »
    Jeedan wrote: »

The trick is to remake it so that you keep interest with both the folks who played the old games, and the folk who played the newer games and we're curious about the older games. It's a tough balancing act, but it's been done before.

It has been done before, but only rarely is it successful (e.g. X-Com).

This discussion has been closed.