As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[East] Hotel Discussion Thread *Westin Waterfront & Seaport are SOLD OUT*

• King of MarsKing of Mars A freak among weirdos A city in my mindRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Your friends should probably understand that there is a HUGE difference in standing for 8 hours and walking for 15 hours. HUGE.

True, but, unlike work, you can stop and sit on giant beanbags in the handheld lounge whenever you want.

Writhe your naked ass to the mindless groove.
    twitter //
    3DS: 2492-5478-6311 // Steam & WiiU: kingofmars2099
  • tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    Your friends should probably understand that there is a HUGE difference in standing for 8 hours and walking for 15 hours. HUGE.

True, but, unlike work, you can stop and sit on giant beanbags in the handheld lounge whenever you want.

true, but also unlike work, you probably won't want to stop.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Some thoughts on hotel distance:

A friend told me that when he stayed at a hotel that wasn't as close to the con center, BYOC was a lifesaver. He's the kind of person who is accustomed to nipping back to his room to grab stuff (switching out camera batteries, magic decks for lines, buttons for trading, granola bars for energy, or just checking the forums.) The year he stayed far away and didn't do BYOC, he felt stranded. The year he stayed far away and did BYOC, he just kept a jump backpack with all his vitals at his BYOC spot and everything was dandy.

If you're costuming, or doing any activity that requires a lot of outfit changes/resupply runs/inventory management/naps, staying close helps a lot. If you're the kind of person who tends to stop back by their room pretty often, BYOC helps if you're staying far away. Otherwise, staying a bit far away isn't too terrible.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Some thoughts on hotel distance:

A friend told me that when he stayed at a hotel that wasn't as close to the con center, BYOC was a lifesaver. He's the kind of person who is accustomed to nipping back to his room to grab stuff (switching out camera batteries, magic decks for lines, buttons for trading, granola bars for energy, or just checking the forums.) The year he stayed far away and didn't do BYOC, he felt stranded. The year he stayed far away and did BYOC, he just kept a jump backpack with all his vitals at his BYOC spot and everything was dandy.

If you're costuming, or doing any activity that requires a lot of outfit changes/resupply runs/inventory management/naps, staying close helps a lot. If you're the kind of person who tends to stop back by their room pretty often, BYOC helps if you're staying far away. Otherwise, staying a bit far away isn't too terrible.

We had a rough time of it this year without BYOC. The hotel a couple miles away meant lugging lunch around was kind of rough. Also the necessity of paying for cabs if you want to see concerts is a big bummer, too.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • FrugusFrugus Photographer MontrealRegistered User regular
    Going to PAX with a hotel that is far from the event is doable, you just have to know what you're getting into and be prepared accordingly. Having a way of going back and forth easily will make the difference, just don't be too cheap about it. There are many ways to do that, such as the MTBA, the shuttle service, cabs (if you have the budget, sharing with friends helps) or a car.

If you don't have an easy way of going back and forth you will definitely feel cut off, especially when you start getting tired. Your load out will count for a lot, keep things to a minimum required for your enjoyment. Plan for your break trips according to your activities (that includes after shopping sessions) and think about going back at least once, though personally I prefer two breaks for such events.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • risingtablerisingtable Registered User new member
    was just able to book a room at Boston Westin. I guess either people cancelled their reservations or they opened more rooms up?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    was just able to book a room at Boston Westin. I guess either people cancelled their reservations or they opened more rooms up?

it looks like there are some king bed rooms available at the westin still.

• belligerentbelligerent Registered User regular
    edited October 2011

Seriously. I have no idea who you are, but I owe you a drink. I was so bummed about missing the initial rush that I couldn't get into the westin. Now I'm there for the whole show.

Thanks to whatever I currently believe in that I checked this thread, your post made me recheck, and, seriously... thanks.

I'm really happy that people look out for each other in this community.

belligerent on
    For future people who end up in this thread bummed they heard about hotel registration late: As long as your attitude is good going into PAX your hotel won't dictate your enjoyment this weekend. Last year was my first PAX and my group stayed at a hotel 5 miles away I still haven't heard mentioned here. It was cheap and we all had a great PAX experience regardless.

This guy is doing it right.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    For future people who end up in this thread bummed they heard about hotel registration late: As long as your attitude is good going into PAX your hotel won't dictate your enjoyment this weekend. Last year was my first PAX and my group stayed at a hotel 5 miles away I still haven't heard mentioned here. It was cheap and we all had a great PAX experience regardless.

• Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    T-T-T-TIME WARP

E6LkoFK.png

• dalaamprincedalaamprince Registered User regular
    The truth I'm spittin' knows no limits.

• HeleorHeleor SeattleRegistered User regular
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    T-T-T-TIME WARP

It's just a jump to the left?

• KyussKyuss Registered User regular
    Heleor wrote:
    Moe Fwacky wrote:
    T-T-T-TIME WARP

It's just a jump to the left?

And then a step to the r-i-i-i-i-i-ght!

• flatlineflatline Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:

6245935639_7f179b9260_o.png
    What just happened?

East 2014 Status: Badge [ Friend got it ] Hotel [Crappy] BYOC [YES] Transport [ ] Name on Forum Badge [ ] Challenge Coin [ ]
    I told you, Time Warp.

Do we have to do the time warp again?

E6LkoFK.png

• Exodus1Exodus1 MarylandRegistered User regular
    flatline wrote:
    Frugus wrote:

6245935639_7f179b9260_o.png
    What just happened?

time_warp_poster-p228696715778569071t5wm_400.jpg

Back on topic though, I totally agree, even with blisters last year I had a great time, BYOC definitely helped though so that's good advice as well, I think having a Westin room is just a cherry on top of the sundae.

• tvethiopiatvethiopia Salem MARegistered User regular
    the BYOC stuff is definitely good advice for those already planning to do/considering doing BYOC, but it should probably be clarified that it's not really cool to sign up just to have a dumping ground for your stuff, as space is limited and should be left for those who actually plan on using the space for gaming and whatnot.

<3 Daintier. Smarter. Better dressed. <3
    7YIpfE5.png
    tvethiopia wrote:
    the BYOC stuff is definitely good advice for those already planning to do/considering doing BYOC, but it should probably be clarified that it's not really cool to sign up just to have a dumping ground for your stuff, as space is limited and should be left for those who actually plan on using the space for gaming and whatnot.

Well said. It is generally frowned upon to sign up for a BYOC slot specifically to have a place to dump stuff. There are a very limited amount of spots available.

The BCEC bag check was very well done last year and should suffice for any quick-storage needs. Alternatively one could make friends with someone staying in the Westin and store things there ;)

zerzhul wrote:
    [...]Alternatively one could make friends with someone staying in the Westin and store things there ;)

That... is a very good idea.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    I'm staying at the Westin, but my friendship is not easily earned. Cookies is a good start; bacon is better!

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

acumen101 wrote:
    I'm staying at the Westin, but my friendship is not easily earned. Cookies is a good start; bacon is better!

Last year I was handed a chocolate chip and bacon cookie. May the FSM help us all.

Frugus Eggbeater
    ufCl1ui.png
  • acumen101acumen101 Registered User regular
    Frugus wrote:
    acumen101 wrote:

Last year I was handed a chocolate chip and bacon cookie. May the FSM help us all.

no...words......should've sent a poet! Cookie Brigade, you have your charge! (and sorry for swerving slightly off topic, but I don't have a problem offering up some storage space)

Life-Long Nerd from New England

PAX East 2015: -Pass [X] -Hotel [X] -Time off[X]

twitter: acumen101 | fb: fb.com/acumen101
    Steam: acumen101 | xbl/psn: caseBlaster101

• ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    zerzhul wrote:
    Alternatively one could make friends with someone staying in the Westin and store things there ;)

haha Nice. I stayed at the Ren last time. Since we wore jackets and brought lots of other junk across, the bag check was great. though, we tried to pack so many things into one bag to avoid multiple hits at the bag-check :P

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
    edited October 2011
    fixed

zerzhul on
  • ishtraishtra Long IslandRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    haha that is odd :P o'well. Edited for clarification.

ishtra on
    Attendee: PAX East 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2018, Unplugged 2017
  • XerlithXerlith Registered User regular
    Girlfriend and I got a room at the Westin. Likely not PAX rates, but hey. We'll only be there Friday and Saturday nights, but I wouldn't have a problem with running a little extra storage (I say a little because we're kind of having two other friends who get the floor).

You vant to cross, maybe?
    SoulSilver: 5200 4466 6956
    Black: 1721 2788 2039
    PAX East 2014 Checklist: Passes Purchased [X] Passes Received [ ] Transportation [ ] Hotel Reservation [X]
  • VariVari Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I snagged one of the Westin slots too. Supra-looking forward to lurking around the lobby! I've only done PAX Prime in the past, but I've never been so close to the convention center-- so the "PAXers have taken over the hotel" event is going to be rather novel for me. ^_~

Vari on
    The Westin has a feel that I hadn't experienced in quite the same manner since PAX was in Bellevue and took over the Red Lion and Doubletree hotels. It's good to be able to capture that feeling again.

E6LkoFK.png

• FuzzDadFuzzDad Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Looks like the Westin is sold out again! Heading to Waterfront. As to BYOC...follow twitter and if you plan on *really* bringing your gaming PC to game...sign up...please don't use as rest area w/o anything but laptop to check Facebook...

FuzzDad on
  • evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    Last year I stayed at the Fairmont Battery Wharf. While it is a very nice hotel, it is long to get to the convention center. Use this only if all other options are not available.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • evanextremeevanextreme Registered User regular
    Vari wrote:
    I snagged one of the Westin slots too. Supra-looking forward to lurking around the lobby! I've only done PAX Prime in the past, but I've never been so close to the convention center-- so the "PAXers have taken over the hotel" event is going to be rather novel for me. ^_~

Me neither. Hopefully I can snag a straggling Westin spot. Want to be far closer this time.

New Yorker. @evanextreme on Twitter. I do a ton of things on the internet.
    I went to East 11, Prime 12, East 13, and will be attending East 15.
  • SquishfaceSquishface Registered User regular
    Ouch, just came across this post. Westin is booked up, I see. What are the odds that they will release more rooms — anyone have inside info or past experience?

Squishface wrote:
    Ouch, just came across this post. Westin is booked up, I see. What are the odds that they will release more rooms — anyone have inside info or past experience?

Some people will likely cancel at some point. If they do release more rooms it will likely be a very small amount, especially considering there is plenty of space available at the other two close hotels (Seaport and Renaissance)

• zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    I hear if you can't get Westin that Seaport is lovely.

• Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular
    Dammit, didn't realize Hotels reservations had gone up already. I kept checking registration, figuring they'd go up at the same time. I stayed at the Westin last year and being connected to the BCEC was totally sweet. Very bummed that all the rooms are full up already :/ Just reserved a room at the Seaport though, its really close to the BCEC (just a 0.2Mi walk down the street).

Having been to PAX East both times even though I'm bummed about not being at the Westin, I know PAX itself will more than make up for it.

E68SJmZ.png
  • Cultural Geek GirlCultural Geek Girl Registered User regular
    Dammit, didn't realize Hotels reservations had gone up already. I kept checking registration, figuring they'd go up at the same time. I stayed at the Westin last year and being connected to the BCEC was totally sweet. Very bummed that all the rooms are full up already :/ Just reserved a room at the Seaport though, its really close to the BCEC (just a 0.2Mi walk down the street).

Having been to PAX East both times even though I'm bummed about not being at the Westin, I know PAX itself will more than make up for it.

Also, unless you have a full room or don't like strangers, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the room share thread. You might be able to find someone with a Westin group who has beds available, especially as time gets closer and people cancel.

So far I've stayed with strangers from the boards four times, and every time it's been cool.

Buttoneer, Brigadeer, and Keeper of the Book of Wil Wheaton.
    Triwizard Drinking Tournament - '09 !Hufflepuff unofficial conscript, '10 !Gryffindor
    Nerd blog at culturalgeekgirl.com
  • zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    edited November 2011

Also, unless you have a full room or don't like strangers, I'd suggest keeping an eye on the room share thread. You might be able to find someone with a Westin group who has beds available, especially as time gets closer and people cancel.

So far I've stayed with strangers from the boards four times, and every time it's been cool.
    For the most part people here seem to use their rooms to hold their clothes sleep and shower.

zepherin on
  • Commander CainCommander Cain Registered User regular

Doesn't sound like a bad idea but I'm going up with a buddy or two so it would be too many to group up and we're only 0.2Mi for the BCEC so we'll manage lol
    zepherin wrote:
    For the most part people here seem to use their rooms to hold their clothes sleep and shower.
    This is 100% fact lol.

E68SJmZ.png
  • bushisprezbushisprez Registered User regular
    Booked at the Seaport (*) for my 2nd visit to PAX with my pops and best friend.
    Hoping sleep will be manageable since I know Seaport will be fully booked after the westin by time passes are released.
    I nearly got in a brodown
    south-park-1511-broadway-bro-down-clip11.jpg
    with a group from my local game store that couldn't be courteous enough to let me travel with them be at the westin in a single king bed room for like 4-6 people. o_O
    But at least I'm not in the la quinta having to take a train, shuttle, taxi each day to and from the convention getting to enjoy more after events.
    I'm glad I booked early cause :twisted: will freeze over when Anime Expo is at the Hynes the same weekend as PAX East.

[x] Hotel booked
    [x] Ride Booked
    [x] 3-day Pass
    Will be more prepared than ever for the show than the previous year. XP!!!!!