As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

recomend to me speekers for xbox/ps3/bluray

Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
at the moment i have a cambridge works DTT3500 5.1 dolby digital system. and its on the blink. sound keeps cutting in and out.

so im after a new 5.1 (or possably 7.1 budget permiting)

id prefer it to be optical in (tos link cable) as that seems the best way to have the sound from xbox / ps3

and somthing that will do dolby / dts / all the other sound formats blu rays come in

it dosnt have to be massivly powerfull as my places walls are think and i dont want to upset then nabours with bass

please recomend away

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
Conroy Bumpas on

• Options
    illigillig Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I'd recommend an Onkyo "Home Theater In a Box" (HTIB) complete setup as a great upgrade... they vary from the inexpensive $300 and on up but they're generally pretty good quality for the price (and they're set-up like a normal home theater system so you can upgrade components over time if interested)

I have an HT-S3300 like this one:
    http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-HT-S3300-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B003BEDQR6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1319202395&sr=8-1

I chose it for my smallish apartment b/c I have neighbors (like you) - and the sub is passive (unpowered) so it won't shake the building. It has HDMI switching, audio over HDMI, so all of the recent features i'd need.

It's also 5.1 - which i would recommend for you b/c 7.1 actually requires you to set two of the speakers a fair distance BEHIND where you are sitting - and most apartments i've seen have the couch pushed up against the wall :D

Things to think about:

1. Do you need HDMI decoding/upscaling in the receiver? You'll need a higher end model
    2. Find out how many HDMI inputs you need (i'm fine with 3);
    3. One of those integrated DVD or BluRay home theater systems typically offer lower quality for the price - and are not upgrade-able

<edit> also I'd recommend spell check... b/c... yeesh

illig on
  • Options
    Conroy BumpasConroy Bumpas Registered User regular
    yeah sorry about my spelling im dislexic and with spell check i pick the wrong words. so some times its easyaer for the read somthing thats spelt wrong rather than the wrong word. anyhoo

that looks damn good. anoying thing is its about dubble the cost here in the uk. but they sell it or a very simaler version without speekers. my cambrige speekers are all ok. so im thinkong of getting that . then upgradeing the speekers when i get some more money.

so another question. my speekers all come wired with phono conectors (round male) that go into the broken amp. where as this system your recomending just has those poke in the wires and crimp conectors. any way around this?

Please note I cannot be held responsible for any mental, physical, emotional, spiritual, karma, dharma, metaphysical, religious, philosophical, Logical , Ethical, Aesthetical, or financial damage caused by this post
  • Options
    MushroomStickMushroomStick Registered User regular
    You might be able to strip the ends of the wires and connect to the receiver that way, but I'm not willing to guarantee that those speakers aren't wired in some weird, proprietary fashion that could make things not so simple.