As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

games "journalism" - submit your shit to orikae already, jesus christ

• L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    insomni.ac accept no substitutes

• MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    i am still waiting for a modern game with general fantasy bullshit thrown in.

hopefully i get into the shadowrun beta. that's close enough.

wait no that's not it hold a minute

• OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    suck a dick llama

• DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    wolverine's all

I DON'T KNOW HOW TO FLY THIS THING BUT I'LL BE DAMNED IF I'M GONNA LET YOU FLY IT, JERK

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    Bob was never able to make his traffic report that day.

NNID: Rehab0
    edited October 2011
    you just don't UNDERSTAND how DEEP and NIETZSCHIAN this is, baka gaijin!!

L|ama on
  • Cilla BlackCilla Black Priscilla!!! Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:

I don't have high hopes for the rumored (is it more than that now? I don't even know) MMO. A good video game with some good writing would be way better than yet another online game to get sick of.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular

A serious argument for the 'games as art' debate

Melding wrote:

I don't have high hopes for the rumored (is it more than that now? I don't even know) MMO. A good video game with some good writing would be way better than yet another online game to get sick of.

it's a browser based flash(?) MMO that is being developed by the same people doing Jagged alliance online. And the people working on it are in contact contact with people who have and are writing for Shadowrun.

They are apparently focusing on game play (it is a turn based tactile game) and meta plot, which will tie into the current product line.

wolverine looks fucking crazy and i want to play it and it can't cost more than fifteen bucks at this point, can it?

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    You can probably find it for $10

it was alright, didn't grab my interest enough for me to finish it, though

it is ludicrously violent, though

• RehabRehab Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Super Jump is not one of his powers either!

Still, that sequence looked cool.

Rehab on
    NNID: Rehab0
  • VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

How are you?

eh

XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
    I'm getting a little worried that every game i am looking forward to to any large degree is a sequel.

And this has been true for a while. While it is good that there are some large franchises out there, the rate some of these come out at is, not.

Like, the number of first in a line titles i have been excited about in the past couple of years are pretty easy to count.

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

How are you?

eh

that's not good. Unless you're feeling canadian, then :winky:

the wolverine game is real fun

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Darric wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    i don't agree with your edit, yaya - saying 'i like the message, even if i don't like the way they make their points' is tantamount to 'ends justify the means' for me

I didn't say I didn't like the way they make their points! I guess what I meant was their rhetoric might bother some people but it doesn't bother me

I guess the key thing is that some people might see them acting as the word of god, but I can't think of any time where they have flatout said 'this is how it is, deal w/ it'

but I do understand why some people might be turned off by them

what are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that the team of extra credits could use some extra development credits to give them some legitimacy in their quest to co-opt the voice of 'what should be done in the industry'

one thing to critique something, quite another to set yourself up as a mouthpiece and appeal to development experience that is quite limited in reality

Yep, this is the other thing I have a problem with ... the voice of the show seems to be a single designer who, well, um.
    call of duty modern warfare and 2 iOS games, one of which is 'here is an inkblot, guess what your friends will see'

his current games company is actually a consultancy agency
    he also teaches at digipen, if I recall

really though I keep seeing hate for the show on this forum and the word "preachy" being thrown around a lot in particular and I just kind of tilt my head a little bit because I really don't get where those people are coming from at all

but then again I've been a big fan since it was fairly new to the escapist, so maybe it's just for me

• Macro9Macro9 Registered User regular
    wolverine looks fucking crazy and i want to play it and it can't cost more than fifteen bucks at this point, can it?

I have a question. Did you enjoy Arkham Asylum because it was a good game or a good game that let you be the Batman?

Would you like to be the Wolverine?

If so then get that fucking game.

I mean it's not as good as AA and it's kinda nuts in some ways but you really get to be Wolverine and fuck shit up.

Also, get messed up, walk around looking like a terminator with his shit blown apart, and I must say it again. Fuck. Shit. Up.

58pwo4vxupcr.png
    Macro9 wrote:

I have a question. Did you enjoy Arkham Asylum because it was a good game or a good game that let you be the Batman?

I mean it's not as good as AA and it's kinda nuts in some ways but you really get to be Wolverine and fuck shit up.

Also, get messed up, walk around looking like a terminator with his shit blown apart, and I must say it again. Fuck. Shit. Up.

I just want a game where I beat on dudes without having to think about it. Wolverine seems mindless enough to satisfy this urge.

• godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Macro9 wrote:

I just want a game where I beat on dudes without having to think about it. Wolverine seems mindless enough to satisfy this urge.

Better on than off, in this case.

Darric wrote:
    YaYa wrote:
    i don't agree with your edit, yaya - saying 'i like the message, even if i don't like the way they make their points' is tantamount to 'ends justify the means' for me

I didn't say I didn't like the way they make their points! I guess what I meant was their rhetoric might bother some people but it doesn't bother me

I guess the key thing is that some people might see them acting as the word of god, but I can't think of any time where they have flatout said 'this is how it is, deal w/ it'

what are your thoughts?

my thoughts are that the team of extra credits could use some extra development credits to give them some legitimacy in their quest to co-opt the voice of 'what should be done in the industry'

one thing to critique something, quite another to set yourself up as a mouthpiece and appeal to development experience that is quite limited in reality

Yep, this is the other thing I have a problem with ... the voice of the show seems to be a single designer who, well, um.
    call of duty modern warfare and 2 iOS games, one of which is 'here is an inkblot, guess what your friends will see'

really though I keep seeing hate for the show on this forum and the word "preachy" being thrown around a lot in particular and I just kind of tilt my head a little bit because I really don't get where those people are coming from at all

but then again I've been a big fan since it was fairly new to the escapist, so maybe it's just for me

It's not so much preachy as it is talking with a false air of confidence. Like when i claim to be a freelance anthropologist and give people a view on what is going on in human society. I have veyr little knowledge in the field outside of independent study, so to claim that i am an expert is undeniably wrong.

While they do have experience, it's not like the top brass of a company coming down and explaining it to you, it's like the front line soldier who spent a week with the brass talking to you about how to war better.

Melding wrote:
    I'm getting a little worried that every game i am looking forward to to any large degree is a sequel.

And this has been true for a while. While it is good that there are some large franchises out there, the rate some of these come out at is, not.

Like, the number of first in a line titles i have been excited about in the past couple of years are pretty easy to count.

It seems like it's really bad now, but I'm not entirely sure this hasn't historically always been the case. The gaming market has always been huge on sequels, with the occasional breakout "slumber" hit that will provide more sequels in the future. It's a big old cycle.

how do you get funding to make a game?

prove that it'll make money.

how do you do that?

prove a previous one that's the same made money.

• TheySlashThemTheySlashThem Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Darric wrote:
    YaYa wrote:

what are your thoughts?

It's not so much preachy as it is talking with a false air of confidence. Like when i claim to be a freelance anthropologist and give people a view on what is going on in human society. I have veyr little knowledge in the field outside of independent study, so to claim that i am an expert is undeniably wrong.

While they do have experience, it's not like the top brass of a company coming down and explaining it to you, it's like the front line soldier who spent a week with the brass talking to you about how to war better.

I don't think one has to have been the head of a major developer to be familiar enough with the industry to speak with surety about it

and I really don't see where the air of false confidence thing is coming from

so they... speak as if they're sure that what they're saying is accurate? as opposed to?

Melding wrote:

It seems like it's really bad now, but I'm not entirely sure this hasn't historically always been the case. The gaming market has always been huge on sequels, with the occasional breakout "slumber" hit that will provide more sequels in the future. It's a big old cycle.

how do you do that?

It's true. It's why i'm only now starting to get worried. we're in no threat of everything being sequels, but there is a call of duty every year.

Every year. for like 6 years now. And more places are trying to do this.

I get that it's two different teams doing two year dev cycles, but that is still worrying.

That can only sustain its self for so long right? give people time to miss it.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Melding wrote:

I don't think one has to have been the head of a major developer to be familiar enough with the industry to speak with surety about it

so they... speak as if they're sure that what they're saying is accurate? as opposed to?

it is more like they are speaking with a false sense of authority

Shock G on

Well, they profess to know better then their, for lack of a better term, betters.

If you told your boss you could do his job better then him, would they believe you?

They do have some modesty about it, but the lead guy, James, often speaks about topics as if he is the expert on them when he has limited exposure to it.

seriously read insomnia.ac it's fucking hilarious

• T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Shock G wrote: »
    Melding wrote:

it is more like they are speaking with a false sense of authority

Yes, that was the word i was looking for, thank you.

• Shock GShock G Registered User regular
    no problem

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

how do you do that?

It's true. It's why i'm only now starting to get worried. we're in no threat of everything being sequels, but there is a call of duty every year.

I get that it's two different teams doing two year dev cycles, but that is still worrying.

There will be any kind of any game until they stop being good or successful, and there is arguably a higher amount of correlation between those two things in video games than in other media.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you don't like a game, don't buy it. We're currently living in some kind of gaming golden age where you can find something incredibly good for almost any price at almost any gameplay type for almost any platform. And more of it all just keeps coming out. It doesn't fucking stop, as this current quarter has been showing in damn spades.

Who was it that linked a conversation between James and another developer about one of their episodes and the other guy kept shutting him down?

• VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

How are you?

eh

Haha no. It's no big. Batman stole my boyfriend is all. Another few days and everything will be ok again.

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:

how do you do that?

There will be any kind of any game until they stop being good or successful, and there is arguably a higher amount of correlation between those two things in video games than in other media.

I wouldn't worry about it too much. If you don't like a game, don't buy it. We're currently living in some kind of gaming golden age where you can find something incredibly good for almost any price at almost any gameplay type for almost any platform. And more of it all just keeps coming out. It doesn't fucking stop, as this current quarter has been showing in damn spades.

Yeah, it is a pretty great time, all considered. Partly because things are getting pushed out so fast that there is just so many games to pick from. Sadly some good titles get left in the dust.

I guess i'm just sick of call of duty. Luckily haven't bought one since 2005, meaning i have missed five releases, and will skip the sixth.

Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Melding wrote:
    Hi Viv.

'lo

How are you?

eh

Haha no. It's no big. Batman stole my boyfriend is all. Another few days and everything will be ok again.

I could make it a big and get a plane ticket right now.

I'm implying my genitals are large.

The only CoD game I played was the first Modern Warfare. I have never felt a burning desire to play any of them really but maybe they are just not FOR me.

This discussion has been closed.