Options

I'm [Kingdom], he's [Hearts], and that's [Thread].

19394959698

Posts

  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm such a sucker and I will rebuy KH on PC. Probably will wait a sale but I'm looking forward to using Cheat Engine to fix all those damn rare drop rates.

    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    It's always a little sad when a gacha you're invested in dies. Use your newfound freedom to do something good for yourself!

    Thankfully, I cut myself off from spending any real money on it last year, the pacing of the power curve was becoming noticeably insane. I feel really sorry for the people who got baited into spending a lot during the holiday on the new hotness, they're probably feeling Iike idiots now. Which, they should, hopefully this harsh life lesson on gacha will stick.

  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    It's always a little sad when a gacha you're invested in dies. Use your newfound freedom to do something good for yourself!

    Thankfully, I cut myself off from spending any real money on it last year, the pacing of the power curve was becoming noticeably insane. I feel really sorry for the people who got baited into spending a lot during the holiday on the new hotness, they're probably feeling Iike idiots now. Which, they should, hopefully this harsh life lesson on gacha will stick.

    I'm glad I never really gave a shit about the competitive modes, because that seems to be what KHUX primarily used to encourage spending money.

    You could get through all the story quests with just one or two busted medals.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Welp, the damn Epic Game Store finally managed to get an exclusive that made me break my boycott. So I now actually own Kingdom Hearts for the first time. Just the 2.5 compilation and 3 so far, but I'm almost certainly going to get the rest sooner or later. For now, turns out Chain of Memories is as amazing as I thought it would be. There is something just incredibly satisfying about making a deck that perfectly executes a half dozen Fire Raids that then turn into Strike Raids the second time through. Best Kingdom Hearts game.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Welp, the damn Epic Game Store finally managed to get an exclusive that made me break my boycott. So I now actually own Kingdom Hearts for the first time. Just the 2.5 compilation and 3 so far, but I'm almost certainly going to get the rest sooner or later. For now, turns out Chain of Memories is as amazing as I thought it would be. There is something just incredibly satisfying about making a deck that perfectly executes a half dozen Fire Raids that then turn into Strike Raids the second time through. Best Kingdom Hearts game.
    How's the port? I'm tempted to replay through them all.

  • Options
    KaputaKaputa Registered User regular
    Chain of Memories is definitely underappreciated. It's a bit too easy to break the game (at least on the PS2, I don't remember that being true on the GBA but maybe I just didn't figure it out as well), but it's nonetheless a very cool and unique battle system, probably the most interesting game concept in the series. I can't call it the best Kingdom Hearts (I and II are just too good) but it's the best of the non-numbered titles and I personally got more enjoyment out of it than KHIII.

    I'd probably rank Birth By Sleep above KHIII too, for that matter.

  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    I feel like that's a misunderstanding of the nature of the game. It's a mistake to think of it as an ARPG. Making a deck that can kill a boss without them ever getting an attack off is the point imho. The difficulty and effort is in working out how to build such a deck and collecting the cards necessary to do it.

    Which is what make it so interesting to me. You're goal should be to win the fight before ever stepping into the room, you make a plan and then ideally you just need to execute that plan.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Guess who was the last Smash DLC character?

    https://youtu.be/L-q6Gz_4Yqc

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    edited October 2021
    The omission of Simple and Clean from the song list makes me sad :( I'm guessing the vocals are a whole giant rights can of worms but I mean, instrumental? Come on...

    I'm also a little surprised at the absence of Heartless, specifically in the stage background. Seems like an iconic part of the series that has no Disney attachments that they could have included :P

    Warlock82 on
    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
  • Options
    silence1186silence1186 Character shields down! As a wingmanRegistered User regular
    https://youtu.be/UPw-3e_pzqU

    Super psyched for this. It could go literally anywhere.

  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    The clown that I am was expecting a Steam release announcement for KH3.

    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Hopefully the normal shoes is only for that PergaTokyo.

    7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    I will absolutely play (or watch?) the ending of Dark Road and then make a post for everyone who isn't going to play it (that everyone can then also not read).

  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Can’t wait for all the garbage worlds from Disney acquisitions.

    Help Homer save his family from Darkness to the beat of a jaunty remix called Simpson and Clean!
    Free Chumlee from an evil pawn shop in History Channel World!
    In Nat Geo, avoid dying from the ultimate challenge: malaria!
    Summon the mighty Wilson in Home Improvement World!
    Assist Scrat by collecting all 500 nuts scattered across the game!

    A shady figure approaches Sora.

    “Sora, you’ve shown that you can handle the blade…”

    Charles Barkley emerges from the dark.

    “But can you can handle the ball?”

    Get ready to slam in ESPN World.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Have Warren Spector write it. It'll be Epic Mickey 3.

    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I dread the day the series crosses over completely from fun crossover to financial flexing. From Space Jam to Space Jam 2, if you get me.

    I think Star Wars would be that line for me.

    Enlong on
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Enlong wrote: »
    I dread the day the series crosses over completely from fun crossover to financial flexing. From Space Jam to Space Jam 2, if you get me.

    I think Star Wars would be that line for me.
    Space Jam was based on a shoe commercial.

    YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    LucedesLucedes might be real Registered User regular
    i literally finished KH3 last night and i wake up to THIS?! i was done! i was done forever!

  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    Sterica wrote: »
    Enlong wrote: »
    I dread the day the series crosses over completely from fun crossover to financial flexing. From Space Jam to Space Jam 2, if you get me.

    I think Star Wars would be that line for me.
    Space Jam was based on a shoe commercial.

    It's also a documentary on Jordans return to Basketball.

    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    Andy JoeAndy Joe We claim the land for the highlord! The AdirondacksRegistered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »
    I dread the day the series crosses over completely from fun crossover to financial flexing. From Space Jam to Space Jam 2, if you get me.

    I think Star Wars would be that line for me.

    I'd be fine with Star Wars. It fits already what with the magic swords and light/dark mysticism.

    Now the MCU, on the other hand...

    XBL: Stealth Crane PSN: ajpet12 3DS: 1160-9999-5810 NNID: StealthCrane Pokemon Scarlet Name: Carmen
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Yessss!

    Always more mainline Kingdom Hearts! Let's keep it going forever!

  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Three wrapped up pretty much all the characters/plot elements from the 47 previous games, right? Very curious what kind of new convoluted bullshit they'll come up with this time.

    3ae.jpg

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    3 definitely ended setting up for another game.

    And I am here for the madness. At this point I just straight up want more convoluted nonsense mixed with Disney worlds and a banger of an opening theme.

  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    WHATS IN THE BOX???

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I have a feeling that trailer is like a massive spoiler for the end of KH3 but it was still pretty sweet.

    I really, really need to get off my ass and play KH3 at some point...

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Three wrapped up pretty much all the characters/plot elements from the 47 previous games, right? Very curious what kind of new convoluted bullshit they'll come up with this time.

    3ae.jpg

    Lol no. I don't think you can even really claim KH3 wrapped up Xehanort given the finale of Union X and the fact that Dark Road still incomplete.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that trailer is like a massive spoiler for the end of KH3 but it was still pretty sweet.

    I really, really need to get off my ass and play KH3 at some point...

    If by "massive spoiler" you mean "uh, and now they're in a realistic world! For... some reason!" then yes.

    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Three wrapped up pretty much all the characters/plot elements from the 47 previous games, right? Very curious what kind of new convoluted bullshit they'll come up with this time.

    3ae.jpg

    No, not at all. Because KHUX established a bunch of prequel stuff that 3 brought roaring into the present day. Most significantly, one of the established villains was a prequel character in disguise (this actually completely tracks with this character's behavior up to now).

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that trailer is like a massive spoiler for the end of KH3 but it was still pretty sweet.

    I really, really need to get off my ass and play KH3 at some point...

    If by "massive spoiler" you mean "uh, and now they're in a realistic world! For... some reason!" then yes.

    Yes, that one :P A little surprised I managed to not get spoiled about that for so long - feels like the kind of thing Kotaku would randomly put in their headlines: "Sora is in the real world now and what this means for the series" (etc) :P (Gaming websites are so freaking bad about this shit)

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I have a feeling that trailer is like a massive spoiler for the end of KH3 but it was still pretty sweet.

    I really, really need to get off my ass and play KH3 at some point...

    If by "massive spoiler" you mean "uh, and now they're in a realistic world! For... some reason!" then yes.

    Yes, that one :P A little surprised I managed to not get spoiled about that for so long - feels like the kind of thing Kotaku would randomly put in their headlines: "Sora is in the real world now and what this means for the series" (etc) :P (Gaming websites are so freaking bad about this shit)

    It means he'll be sued by The Mouse for infringing on their iconography.

    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Lucid_SeraphLucid_Seraph TealDeer MarylandRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Welp, the damn Epic Game Store finally managed to get an exclusive that made me break my boycott. So I now actually own Kingdom Hearts for the first time. Just the 2.5 compilation and 3 so far, but I'm almost certainly going to get the rest sooner or later. For now, turns out Chain of Memories is as amazing as I thought it would be. There is something just incredibly satisfying about making a deck that perfectly executes a half dozen Fire Raids that then turn into Strike Raids the second time through. Best Kingdom Hearts game.

    THANK YOU MY GOD

    I've been stanning KH:COM since the GBA version, and I really think the reason people hate it is that they just... didn't get it! As you say later in the thread, it's not an ARPG, it's about building the most hideously busted-ass deck possible and stunlocking every single boss to death.

    This is also why Riku mode sucks, because he has a fixed deck, and that's like, what's the god damned point if I can't just faceroll a boss the second I walk into a room?

    I also think the overall writing of CoM is actually quite good - if you just go straight from KHI:FM to CoM, there's still a genuine sense of mystery and intrigue, and the plot hasn't gone totally kudzu nowhereville yet. Mostly because they haven't "explained" anything yet; the sum total of what you know are that there's some group called the Organization (I don't even think we knew the Thirteen part of it yet) and they've got some investment in fucking up your memories. I *think* we find out early on that Nobodies are the remnants of people who lost their hearts? But like... I remember back in the day speculating wildly and thinking "oh dang there's a lot of cool places they could go with this!"

    and then they didn't

    Anyway I guess about KH3... I'm... not actually that impressed yet :\ This looks like KH3 but for some reason in Tokyo and I'm just... no longer invested? None of the magic that made the first game cool feels like it's left, it just feels like Nomura Tetsuya doing what he wants to do and gluing Disney stuff onto it because he's contractually obliged to.

  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I should eventually get back to KH. I bought the all in one collection on PS4 and started working through it in chronological order. Petered out around the start of KH2. I'm more worried that if I put it off for too long, I'll do the thing where I'll go "It's been so long and I'm fuzzy on the details... let's start over from the beginning!".

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2022
    I should eventually get back to KH. I bought the all in one collection on PS4 and started working through it in chronological order. Petered out around the start of KH2. I'm more worried that if I put it off for too long, I'll do the thing where I'll go "It's been so long and I'm fuzzy on the details... let's start over from the beginning!".

    Unless you absolutely, positively need to absorb every scrap of lore, you can happily ignore everything that isn't 1-3 and Birth by Sleep. Possibly Dream Drop Distance since it explains where Sora and Riku end up at the start of 3.

    And of course, this is the bar-none best way to catch up on the plot pre-3:

    https://youtu.be/tjiHufVEc7g

    cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Actually now I'm trying to remember what I went through and what I have left.

    Done:
    -That Union prequel video thing (I can't be bothered to watch a summery of the actual game though)
    -BBS
    -KH1
    -CoM
    -I think I watched the 358/2 video? I would have reasoned that watching that before KH2's prologue fits with the chronology, and I was ready to start 2, so...

    So left to do:
    -KH2
    -Re:Coded. That was after 2, right?
    -DDD
    -The Aqua demo. Which boy could you debate where it fits chronologically, but I figured it's better to leave as a chaser for 3.
    -KH3

    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I should play COM again.

    COM was actually the first KH game I played. Well, sorta. I played the intro of KH1 at a sister's friend's house once. Which was really cool, but hard to track as a kid. I played COM later by borrowing it from a guy on a long bus ride for marching band. It was great. And also, it meant I actually got fooled by the memory shenanigans in it.

    Anyway, I have been kinda down or RE:COM in the past, but I'd like to give it another shake, because I did like COM when I first played it.

  • Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Welp, the damn Epic Game Store finally managed to get an exclusive that made me break my boycott. So I now actually own Kingdom Hearts for the first time. Just the 2.5 compilation and 3 so far, but I'm almost certainly going to get the rest sooner or later. For now, turns out Chain of Memories is as amazing as I thought it would be. There is something just incredibly satisfying about making a deck that perfectly executes a half dozen Fire Raids that then turn into Strike Raids the second time through. Best Kingdom Hearts game.

    THANK YOU MY GOD

    I've been stanning KH:COM since the GBA version, and I really think the reason people hate it is that they just... didn't get it! As you say later in the thread, it's not an ARPG, it's about building the most hideously busted-ass deck possible and stunlocking every single boss to death.

    This is also why Riku mode sucks, because he has a fixed deck, and that's like, what's the god damned point if I can't just faceroll a boss the second I walk into a room?

    I also think the overall writing of CoM is actually quite good - if you just go straight from KHI:FM to CoM, there's still a genuine sense of mystery and intrigue, and the plot hasn't gone totally kudzu nowhereville yet. Mostly because they haven't "explained" anything yet; the sum total of what you know are that there's some group called the Organization (I don't even think we knew the Thirteen part of it yet) and they've got some investment in fucking up your memories. I *think* we find out early on that Nobodies are the remnants of people who lost their hearts? But like... I remember back in the day speculating wildly and thinking "oh dang there's a lot of cool places they could go with this!"

    and then they didn't

    Anyway I guess about KH3... I'm... not actually that impressed yet :\ This looks like KH3 but for some reason in Tokyo and I'm just... no longer invested? None of the magic that made the first game cool feels like it's left, it just feels like Nomura Tetsuya doing what he wants to do and gluing Disney stuff onto it because he's contractually obliged to.

    I really liked chain of memories, but I only really like the GBA version. I didn't really appreciate the move to 3d.

    The biggest problem I have with the game is that the Sora mode is by far the most fun, but the story in that half of the game is braindead. The Riku half is where all the story is, but it's the half that's boring gameplay-wise.

  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I should eventually get back to KH. I bought the all in one collection on PS4 and started working through it in chronological order. Petered out around the start of KH2. I'm more worried that if I put it off for too long, I'll do the thing where I'll go "It's been so long and I'm fuzzy on the details... let's start over from the beginning!".

    This is me like all the dang time.

    Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
Sign In or Register to comment.