Options

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Those new Leixia vids are getting me a little more hopeful for my main. Looks like she's got some new lows which hit grounded (!) in addition to X's arsenal. The new AAB looks nice. I wonder if the B is a low or a mid, it's hard to tell. SXS looks to be gone, unless it's simply not using it in those videos (which I feel is a stretch, SXS was key in IV). It needed a tweak, not full on removal. I hope I'm wrong here!

I'm still not feeling the whole Critical Edge system, hopefully those France players can convince Project Soul to scrap ultra's entirely. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    Those new Leixia vids are getting me a little more hopeful for my main. Looks like she's got some new lows which hit grounded (!) in addition to X's arsenal. The new AAB looks nice. I wonder if the B is a low or a mid, it's hard to tell. SXS looks to be gone, unless it's simply not using it in those videos (which I feel is a stretch, SXS was key in IV). It needed a tweak, not full on removal. I hope I'm wrong here!

I'm still not feeling the whole Critical Edge system, hopefully those France players can convince Project Soul to scrap ultra's entirely. That would be fantastic.

Yeah, that's not going to happen.

A man can hope. :(

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I can't say I've ever known a company to make major gameplay changes towards the end of a game's development cycle. Unless they had broken something.

Not to mention, they probably don't have a problem with the system to begin with(outside of minor tweaking).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:
    I can't say I've ever known a company to make major gameplay changes towards the end of a game's development cycle. Unless they had broken something.

Not to mention, they probably don't have a problem with the system to begin with(outside of minor tweaking).

Yeeahh... I know I'm being irrational, but Critical Edge's just look so goddamn boring.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well...honestly, I can't say any of the gameplay I've been seeing from the demos is all that extraordinary. Though I reason that to be that people are still getting used to the game and it looks like people are still messing around with how stuff works.

I'm pretty sure we won't be able to see how things play out well until months after the game's release.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    If my calculations are correct, and they could be very wrong as I'm tired and having trouble forming thoughts, the Project Soul broadcast is tomorrow morning at 8am est. Chances are better than certain that I'll be nowhere near a computer then, but it'll be archived, so whatever.

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/nbgi-live-channel

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Jedi_BoiJedi_Boi Registered User regular
    No one can stop my Raphael.

i.imgur.com/DG7Jj7H.jpg
    Godspeed, Ironsides.
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Bizazedo wrote:
    I'm excited for Nightmare as well as he was my main. I'm a sucker for certain character designs.
    Athenor wrote:
    Man, I haven't played a Soul Calibur game since 2, so some of the things (like the special moves) were completely foreign to me.

But seeing Nightmare do the same basic move that I banned among my casual friends? Hmmm..

Banned? :(.

Wrong phrasing, I think. First, I didn't ban it myself, but it was more like.. a mutual decision not to do his high-high-low attack, as it was extremely repetitive and hard to counter at our skill levels. Then again, I was also the guy who could do 20-30 parry/ripostes in a row and could not get the timing right on that attack.

If any game could get me into the competitive fighting scene, or at least the edges of it and knowing the terminology, it would be this one. Assuming they aren't asshole pricks like the guy who curbstomped people in my local arcade in Soul Calibur 2 and claimed to spend over $1,000 on the game up in Chicago.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote:

Namco added in VC due to a QA tester's request right before the release of Soul Calibur 3.

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Yeah...But additions and removals are different things and take different amounts of work depending on how ingrained something is into a system.

Though I don't even really see a point in arguing it since CEs aren't going anywhere.

• Options
    Stream archive is up here.

I've only had the time to watch a few minutes of the matches, which start about 40 minutes in. There's also some character creation stuff that I haven't seen at all.

It is nice to see someone play Soulcalibur 5 differently from the French.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Good news for all the Tira fans.

As of the latest build she can easily control her mood swings, and in Gloomy she only takes damage from certain attacks, and only if they hit (not on whiff, not on block).

Plus, she can do this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zOsDP-aiaBY&feature=player_embedded

There's also a strange thing: it seems that they've only recorded her Jolly voice in English, so in this build whenever she switches to Gloomy she also switches to Japanese. It would be kind of neat if they kept that in the game, and let players choose which mood would be in which language.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Holy fucking damage, Batman! No way that's staying like that.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Well, it is a combo, a tech trap, and another combo that takes 4 bars.

I also snagged these from the French feed:

3507vo1.jpg
    24m8brt.jpg
    aoaz9i.jpg

Nice to see that they're adding some sort of tutorial function, though they did the same thing in Soulcalibur 3 when there were a bunch of major system changes.

Apparently they've also added input displays to training mode, which is great. Soulcalibur already has one of the best training modes in fighting games.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Oh was it? I thought it was one fluid combo.

Explains why the damage scaling was so janky.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    stream
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    Okay, regarding Nightmare, I understand that his voice needed to change since he's not Siegfried anymore, but I really miss him having a normal voice.

• Options
    Finally wrote a new article for the blog. It's not quite done yet, but there were some ideas I needed to put down and it seemed as good a place as any.

Need to keep it going.

stream
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Not a whole lot of new stuff this week, but there's some.

Seems that gamestop is offering some sort of Ivy bobblehead as a pre-order bonus.

Daishi says that they'll do another live stream in a few weeks and show off the character creation mode. He's also hinted that they'll do more in English if enough people request it.

There were a few other things that were confirmed during and around the last stream. First, the only dlc that's been confirmed so far is music sets from previous Soulcalibur games. Second, they've added shortcuts for the CE command to make it easier to do on pads. There's an MK-style command that's 2626a+b+k, and a Street Fighter 4-style command that's 2323a+b+k.
    I wouldn't say the game has become complex, but players should have more options to choose from to make the game something deep.

Seems to be the way they're going. Less overt complexity in commands, more options for players to think about.

And yes, as the new thread title says, you can make fat characters now.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    El FantasticoEl Fantastico Toronto, ONRegistered User regular
    Fat, as opposed to just large and muscular like Rock?

Incoming Natsu moveset on 6'4, 300lb custom character.

PSN: TheArcadeBear
    Steam: TheArcadeBear

• Options
    I can't only imagine the horrors the new CAS will bring.

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    My ninja William Shakespeare named Billy Shakes was my greatest creation.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    TehSpectre wrote:
    My ninja William Shakespeare named Billy Shakes was my greatest creation.

Stealing that name for...something. I don't know what, but I love that name.

Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Couple of new interviews from the last French demo have been released, both with Tago.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVqfE3V49qc&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

This is Kayane's interview.

Viola: Is she Amy? Tago dodges that one, but affirms again that Soulcalibur 5 is only the first game in a new series. Also interesting that her current build is still being worked over. There's no such thing as a cross-up in a 3d fighting game that has a block button, and it's already been confirmed that she can't cause unblockables with the orb by attacking on 2 levels at the same time, as any successful block will defend against both attacks. She can probably throw out of block stun, but she does need more orb moves.

Leixia: Has more range than Xianghua, but less damage. Tago also says she's faster, which so far her French gameplay hasn't shown, but the brief glimpses of her during the Project Soul stream made her look quite furious.

Nightmare: He says they've gone through his movelist again, which shows that this interview was done before most people had played the new version. Although he does have a few new moves, and a few old moves have new properties, it generally looks like Soulcalibur 3 and 4 Nightmare. Not to say he'll play exactly the same, as his CE and BE attacks will change a lot. Tago also says he should be a strong character for tournament play, and it reminded me that Daishi said one of the game's main testers and designers is FUG, a well known Japanese Nightmare player from the Soulcalibur 3 days. And he's got a body again.

He also confirms that Soulcalibur 5 happens after Siegfried's Soulcalibur 4 ending, in which Nightmare is killed.

Raphael: Out looking for Amy, as was obvious in his artwork. There's been some speculation that Raph is the new Nightmare, and the Raph in the game is his wondering spirit, also based on artwork. I don't see it, since it kind of conflicts with him looking for Amy, unless Amy had also been taken from him, which would imply that Amy is working for Nightmare, not Zwei, or that Zwei works for Nightmare. Not important. He's got most of his Soulcalibur 4 stuff, but according to Raph players it looks better, especially the stance moves that he can now use out of stance, like prep a. He's still open to changes, though.

Then some stuff about the soundtrack that I don't care about.

She asked about pre-rendered cinematics, especially for the game's intro and ending, and Tago seemed to lean toward them, but didn't confirm anything. At least we know they're done, which means the story stuff is further along than I thought.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMkUIHOqHjA&feature=mfu_in_order&list=UL

This is the Keysona interview.

Tago says the game is 100% finished, which is a surprise. They still have some stuff to work on for the online modes and singleplayer modes, but I guess all the characters are done. That gives them 2 and a half months or so to work on balance and characters, which they do seem intent on doing. I wonder how old the current demo build is.

Tournament play: Tago says they do watch it, and we already know there are at least 3 tournament-level players on Project Soul's staff.

Interestingly, he says that Soulcalibur 4 was not as successful as it should have been, which is why Project Soul was disbanded. That's classic Namco-speak right there. Soulcalibur 4 was their highest selling non-Naruto game, and certainly the highest selling fighting game of its time. But it didn't sell 50 billion, so it wasn't a success in Namco's eyes. Then he said that Namco really cares about its communities and I about choked from laughing. It was nice of him to say they would put more focus (and really, any focus at all would be more) on the offline competitive scenes.

They know that online in Soulcalibur 4 is old and painful, they want to make Soulcalibur 5 better.

So, it looks like they'll be announcing the rest of modes in the game later this month, and possibly the return of team battles.

We've seen that there are now slots for 4 players in the main menu, and that Soulcalibur 4 already had 4 controller options. Maybe they'll be some form of character or information sharing? Doesn't make sense to allow 4 people to sign in when 99% of people will be playing on their own machine with their own account, or on a different machine where they don't have an account.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Interestingly, he says that Soulcalibur 4 was not as successful as it should have been, which is why Project Soul was disbanded. That's classic Namco-speak right there. Soulcalibur 4 was their highest selling non-Naruto game, and certainly the highest selling fighting game of its time. But it didn't sell 50 billion, so it wasn't a success in Namco's eyes.

Jesus, what the fuck is with this industry these days.

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    EVOL wrote:
    Interestingly, he says that Soulcalibur 4 was not as successful as it should have been, which is why Project Soul was disbanded. That's classic Namco-speak right there. Soulcalibur 4 was their highest selling non-Naruto game, and certainly the highest selling fighting game of its time. But it didn't sell 50 billion, so it wasn't a success in Namco's eyes.

Jesus, what the fuck is with this industry these days.

This is Namco. Look at their American treatment of the Tales franchise and you can see they are completely out of touch with reality. While that is a much smaller fanbase as games like this, they have still made some of the stupidest mistakes its almost as if they tried to make the series fail over here NUMEROUS times.

• Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    Minerva_SCMinerva_SC Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    That is so insane, easily the best CaS of any fighting game. It needs to be the standard for all 3d fighting games to come.

I made so many chars in SC4 CaS, this is gonna be another game in itself for me, will spend countless hours in there. :(

Minerva_SC on
    "If a cherry pie filled cape is wrong, I don't want to be right.
    I'm dead serious."
  • Options
    BizazedoBizazedo Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    Tago says the game is 100% finished, which is a surprise. They still have some stuff to work on for the online modes and singleplayer modes, but I guess all the characters are done. That gives them 2 and a half months or so to work on balance and characters, which they do seem intent on doing. I wonder how old the current demo build is.

"Okay, boys, the game is done! We have 2-3 months until release and 1 month until this thing goes gold, so lets start looking at the netcode!"
    /hangs self.

XBL: Bizazedo
    PSN: Bizazedo
    CFN: Bizazedo (I don't think I suck, add me).
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote:
    That is so insane, easily the best CaS of any fighting game. It needs to be the standard for all 3d fighting games to come.

I made so many chars in SC4 CaS, this is gonna be another game in itself for me, will spend countless hours in there. :(

Holy F. I had some reservations about the combat system, but this CaS video just re-sold me on the whole thing.

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    Minerva_SC wrote:

Indeed, I had many a good time recreating various manga characters in SC3 back in the day. Looking forward to playing around with this.

It makes you wonder, how come no other fighting game outside of Soul Calibur has had a Create a Warrior mode with the amount of customisation this has? (Besides wrestling games, but a lot of modes in those games are mainly painting different textures.) A series like Street Fighter or Tekken with a full character creation mode (and not just swapping out existing character's clothes) would be fucking golden.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Not buying until good netcode is confirmed by PA.

I care not for adventures or making a character. I want to stab mans online without lag.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Good luck with that. Can't say I've ever seen an online game that didn't have lag.

• Options
    Yes, lag is 100% a given. It will happen.

However, unlike Soulcalibur 4 where the online was a gimmick, Project Soul knows that the online play is a huge part of how the game will be received. They're also planning to get most of their sales in the west, not in Japan and Korea. Both of those should help.

stream
  • Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Page- wrote:
    Yes, lag is 100% a given. It will happen.

However, unlike Soulcalibur 4 where the online was a gimmick, Project Soul knows that the online play is a huge part of how the game will be received. They're also planning to get most of their sales in the west, not in Japan and Korea. Both of those should help.
    One can only hope.

Worst comes to worst I'll just play this at my local arcade :bz

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Something I thought was pretty cool. SCV got a ad spot on youtube.

It's the Ezio introduction trailer but it was still pretty awesome going to the front page and seeing it.

• Options
    The CAS is... Wow. That shit is fucking Sims level of customization. Color me impressed

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    So that taking a picture, I wonder if you usee that for the character select pose? If so that alone is greater than any of that other stuff for me. So much fun with poses. The only other thing they could possibly ever add would be like an entry / win pose customizer. Movelists are set for a reason, but why not let you say, use a nightmare moveset with maybe phyrra's win pose? Silliness abounds.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    holy shit I am going to lose so much time in the character creation

that looks crazy fun

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    JaysonFourJaysonFour Classy Monster Kitteh Registered User regular
    ...I should have pre-ordered this when I was last at Gamestop.

steam_sig.png
    I can has cheezburger, yes?