As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    B:L wrote: »
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    I haven't had the chance to play this yet, but how's Maxi?

Maxi just took a tournament here in SoCal. His mixups are quite strong, just that you have to be careful to not get stuck in loops and be aware of your options at all times.

I have a question.

How do you fight Maxi?

Do you just have to get used to how his strings look? Because he is quite confusing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yk0KX7JaATE

10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    Well, yeah. But you have to recognize the loops before you can counter them.

Pretty sure I posted that video a few pages back anyway. O_o

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Page- wrote: »
    Well, yeah. But you have to recognize the loops before you can counter them.

Pretty sure I posted that video a few pages back anyway. O_o

Nonsense, Page. This is a new video

(with the English translation in the description)

• Options
    I didn't see that he made another. Weird.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options
    I didn't see that he made another. Weird.

Might as well post the whole set:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ql403kkOrs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s_rLamyBfcw

• Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Damn i spend like 1 hour writing up a post and all the sudden the thread gets more posts in 1 hour than it has in 1 week. Figures :O

• Options
    I'm so bad with dates. I just realized mlg Columbus is in a few weeks. For some reason I thought it was in April.

Three weeks notice for a major scheduled on the same day as an evo qualifier, which is another major. Poor planning. Everyone who was going to ncr should have made plans already, since that's been announced for way longer. Not that mlg Columbus wasn't announced a long time ago, but they only just added Soulcalibur and King of Fighters. Maybe they're hoping for an east and west split.

Anyway, I probably won't be able to go after all. Sucks. :<

stream
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I just realized there are going to be people playing this at PAX east and I've barely played at all.

Oh well. I'll probably sign up for the hell of it, but I fully expect my dreams of tourment glory to be dashed quickly. I'm super rusty and I don't have an arcade stick on the 360 to practice on.

How are you guys playing, are people meeting the public lobbies, or just inviting people on their friends list to games?

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    I usually invite those on my friends list to play (or play when invited), and then hit up randoms online if that fails. I'm on PSN, though.

Also thanks for the lengthy write up Kai, I remember you using her now (speaking of which we should play again sometime). Currently I'm still in the "immediately forgot all my combos as soon as Round 1 starts" mode with her, she's really foreign to play. Checking for stuff online with her I did find a couple of interesting things I wanted to note here though just because the game certainly doesn't reveal it. You probably already know all of this, but figured I could at least try to share the info in the off chance you don't for taking the time on your end.

-With orb, 2A+B is an immediately GI rather than having to charge up for it like you do without it, but it doesn't track the opponent either. It also leaves the Orb right on the ground, which leads to...
    -Her CE can actually hit grounded opponents if the orb is set right on the ground when its activated. Dunno how many moves leave it there to do so, though.
    -If the orb is set, 4A+B will normally try to swing twice. However you can cancel the second swing into other orb recalls before it hits, such as 2B+K, 6B+K, 2A+B, or even another 4A+B.
    -Her 66K BE (same w/orb or not) does a front flip followed by what is basically 2A+B (set orb version). If you hold the BE, though, it will charge the 2A+B into the GI version. If it is guarded you can get a free set orb 3B combo out of it to boot! Just make sure she stands back up from the animation first, doing it too early just gets you crouching B.

RoyallyFlushed on
  • Options
    Kai_SanKai_San Commonly known as Klineshrike! Registered User regular
    Yeah I knew about most of that. Like I said I always forgot which 2A+B guard crushes. The version with the orb also has a set distance, unlike the without which always appears above thier head.
    CE hits grounded but you cant launch someone grounded. CE does absolutely no damage, so thats a bad use of it. Her CE is to set up shit mostly. If they are going to stand up thought it will lock them down.
    I never use 66K and i forget the BE a lot, but it seems like everyone steps it forever and if they dont they always attack after and interrupt the BE. Too risky for me, but I guess it would be an ok lockdown option. Ill need to fiddle with it.

The 4A+B stuff, yeah, I fooled around with that and EVERY thing possibly out of it. It looks nice, but its easy as shit to mash out of or just completely miss.

• Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Just got this game and I'm loading it up. Who wants to play on PSN?

Sweaty2501

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    DaMoonRulz wrote: »
    Just got this game and I'm loading it up. Who wants to play on PSN?

Sweaty2501

Awesome. I might play tonight, so I'll send you a friend request then.

• Options
    I'm free til 7pm eastern, when the wife gets home

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I just saw the dumbest thing - twice by two different people. They took those circular hula drum accessory (3 of them) and put it around themselves such that when they are moving around, it is harder to tell what the hell they are doing because all this shit is in the way.

• Options
    I'm having a bitch of a time dealing with the blocking changes from 2 to 5

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    edited March 2012
    You should be able to report those custom characters in the lobby, which will force them to show up as default costumes.

Looks like Soulcalibur 5 will be in along with Final Showdown at SBO 2012. Yay.

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Ok, I'm getting back on SCV if anyone wants to play

3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    Project Soul live stream tonight at midnight est.

http://ja.twitch.tv/soulcalibur5

Maybe they'll take some questions.

stream
  • Options
    Man the online is amazing in this game. Kudos to Namco for getting the netcode right.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    Man the online is amazing in this game. Kudos to Namco for getting the netcode right.

When you can connect. Me and two other people I know just can't play MP at all. :(

• Options
    Suriko wrote: »

When you can connect. Me and two other people I know just can't play MP at all. :(

Firewall issue?

• Options
    Rex DartRex Dart Registered User regular
    Hey. I realize I'm super late to the party, but I'm still planning to pick up SCV. Can anyone tell me if the Collector's Edition worth it?

At this point, it's over $30 more than the standard edition, so I'm guessing no. But I'm sucker for (cool) extras, so let me know if there's anything that could possibly sway me.

• Options
    SurikoSuriko AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Suriko wrote: »

Firewall issue?

Nope. Tried everything (right up to a total DMZ), but even before doing that, the network settings showed as correct (NAT 2) and other PS3 games can get online fine. It's just SCV. It connects initially, but drops from the lobby after a couple of seconds. 8wayrun has a thread where people have the same issue, but there are no solutions and Namco's silent on the issue.

Suriko on
  • Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Rex Dart wrote: »
    Hey. I realize I'm super late to the party, but I'm still planning to pick up SCV. Can anyone tell me if the Collector's Edition worth it?

At this point, it's over $30 more than the standard edition, so I'm guessing no. But I'm sucker for (cool) extras, so let me know if there's anything that could possibly sway me.

The packaging is really cool, but the artbook and ost are... lacking. A proper artbook is being released later, and the OST doesn't even contain all of the tracks. You're getting it for the packaging, Dampierre(who's been released lately) and the White Knight/Black Knight armor pieces for CAS.

EVOL on
  • Options
    The CE gets a few other optional extras, like Ultra Hard AI. The standard edition only gets Very Hard.

stream
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    The CE gets a few other optional extras, like Ultra Hard AI. The standard edition only gets Very Hard.
    I thought the discs were the same though? The discs dont appear different to me. The dlc in the CE is on a code card.

• Options
    Probably. But if you don't have the CE then you shouldn't have Ultra Hard.

stream
  • Options
    ...I don't have Ultra Hard...? Not that I care too much though, but that's strange.

• Options
    edited March 2012
    Man it's so frusting playing people in this on the 360 when I am so much better with a joystick.

Is there anyway to always mute an opposing players microphone? I've never had anyone saying anything, some people just leave it on and it picks up on ambient noise.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    Isn't there an option for that in the xbl dashboard thing?

I know I don't usually plug a mic in and I never hear what anyone says.

stream
  • Options
    stream
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Any good strategy guides up online for SC5? I need just general advice on good combos, wakeups and general strategy for the characters.

How is the official strategy guide? The one for 4 wasn't particularly good, but the one for 2 was excellent.

Uselesswarrior on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The FuturePress guide is one of the best damn guides I've seen for a fighting game.

• Options
    There are a few typos, but otherwise that guide is great.

Next weekend will be the final tournament in the series Namco has been running throughout Europe, Asia, and Australia.

Not only does the winner get all the cash prizes and other stuff from various sponsors, but they get a one of a kind, custom made Soul Edge replica. It's pretty neat.

357ltky.jpg

stream
  • Options
    Holy shit. That looks great. I'd pay a great amount of my precious money for one of those things.

• Options
    The patch has been dated for March 21st, which is next Wednesday.

As Daishi promised, there will be some tweaks to the online stuff, some changes to how ranked mode works, and the first round of character balance changes, and possibly support for more items in the future.

stream
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Any idea what may be in store for the character tweaks? Really curious as to what kind of balance changes they feel needed to be made already.

• Options
    Besides fixing qs4g and possibly some other movement issues I haven't heard much. There are things that people want, and some of it can obviously be done. Certain characters (Sieg, Algol) still have to deal with whiffing moves and I doubt a simple patch is going to clear that up.

There's some obvious stuff that can be fixed. Making aPat's twister not hit grounded would pretty much fix that character.

Daishi and Utoh have been paying attention to some streams and tournament results, as well as hosting the Namco Invitational thing in Europe.

stream
  • Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    edited March 2012
    Besides fixing qs4g and possibly some other movement issues I haven't heard much. There are things that people want, and some of it can obviously be done. Certain characters (Sieg, Algol) still have to deal with whiffing moves and I doubt a simple patch is going to clear that up.

There's some obvious stuff that can be fixed. Making aPat's twister not hit grounded would pretty much fix that character.

Daishi and Utoh have been paying attention to some streams and tournament results, as well as hosting the Namco Invitational thing in Europe.

Are you talking about 2143aB?

templewulf on
    Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    edited March 2012
    Yes. He doesn't have an umbrella so everyone calls it the twister.

The fact that the jf version hits grounded means he can always hit 2 of them with every punish, which is stupid.

Page- on
    stream