Options

[Soulcalibur 5] SBO on Saturday. Character lock go!

• Options
    EVOLEVOL Registered User regular
    So now that Just Guards have become more common, what are your thoughts on the mechanic?

Personally, I adore it and it seems to be bringing a whole new depth to the game. It keeps you on your toes and stops you from becoming too predictable.

• Options
    templewulftemplewulf The Team Chump USARegistered User regular
    EVOL wrote: »
    So now that Just Guards have become more common, what are your thoughts on the mechanic?

Personally, I adore it and it seems to be bringing a whole new depth to the game. It keeps you on your toes and stops you from becoming too predictable.

Do you think it does that in a way traditional impact guarding didn't?

Twitch.tv/FiercePunchStudios | PSN | Steam | Discord | SFV CFN: templewulf
  • Options
    Well, they're much harder to pull off so it's pretty damn difficult or even impossible at times to JG back like you can with Guard Impacts.

• Options
    B:LB:L I've done worse. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012

I think it's unintuitive garbage that raises the barrier of entry into the series. If it were activated on press rather than release and regular no-meter guard impacts were still in, sure, but what it did was remove the depth in the game and added in frustration as you could be facing predictable attacks but if your timing isn't precision perfect you can't counter it.

Basically it's what I don't like about VF.

B:L on
    10mvrci.png click for Anime chat
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited May 2012
    Just Guard shouldn't be easy.

Thing about guard impact is that even on successful hit it put you in a 50/50 situation, unless it was Just Impact of course.

A just guard can let you punish with impunity.

Also...I like that they don't have meterless GIs anymore. It makes moves that were easy to GI on reaction actually a bit more viable.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    B:L wrote: »

I think it's unintuitive garbage that raises the barrier of entry into the series. If it were activated on press rather than release and regular no-meter guard impacts were still in, sure, but what it did was remove the depth in the game and added in frustration as you could be facing predictable attacks but if your timing isn't precision perfect you can't counter it.

I do see where you're coming from, but really, they're not nearly as difficult as you say they are.

I have pretty piss poor reaction time for a fighting game player and play on a pad that has shitty buttons, but after about 2 hours or so on training, getting some tips from better players and a lot of attempts at practical applications, I can utilize them in matches pretty well. I'd say it took about 5 hours or so for me to get the mechanic down on total.

And that's really a drop in the bucket compared to the time you have to put into a fighting game, no?

And if they were too easy, they would've wrecked the game pretty bad in a way.

• Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular

I think it's unintuitive garbage that raises the barrier of entry into the series.

As apposed to backdash cancelling and reaction throw breaks? :p

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    interrobanginterrobang kawaii as  hellRegistered User regular
    Page- wrote: »

I think it's unintuitive garbage that raises the barrier of entry into the series.

i thought they patched out backdash cancelling

• Options
    Ragnar DragonfyreRagnar Dragonfyre Registered User regular

I do see where you're coming from, but really, they're not nearly as difficult as you say they are.

I have pretty piss poor reaction time for a fighting game player and play on a pad that has shitty buttons, but after about 2 hours or so on training, getting some tips from better players and a lot of attempts at practical applications, I can utilize them in matches pretty well. I'd say it took about 5 hours or so for me to get the mechanic down on total.

And that's really a drop in the bucket compared to the time you have to put into a fighting game, no?

And if they were too easy, they would've wrecked the game pretty bad in a way.

The problem is that JG will never be a reliable mechanic unless you have superhuman reaction times. It doesn't bring anything new to the table and would have been better served by adjusting Impacting. Soul Calibur was never originally intended to have execution barriers before V.

At least Guard Impacting was reliable after you had played the game for awhile and learned the frames, even if it didnt always give you an advantage. There were a number of moves I could Guard Impact with 100% success... I could Just Impact Taki's bomb pretty much everytime too.

I know I sound like a broken record, it's one of the reasons I stopped posting in this thread, but I honestly believe the game would have been far more enjoyable (for my friends and I anyway) had they left Guard Impacting in as it was in IV and tweaked Just Impacting to be essentially what Just Guard is now.

I totally see where B:L is coming from. It's simply not as intuitive as Guard Impacting used to be.

steam_sig.png
  • Options

i thought they patched out backdash cancelling

Tekken.

And you don't need superhuman reaction times for just guarding if you concentrate on just guarding moves that should be just guarded. It's not like you're expected to reaction jg bbs. But denying later hits in common strings is not that hard. It just takes practice.

Even then, there's still a place for GIs. They're very strong in specific situations and for specific characters. There are many moves that even if you jg them you get minimal frame advantage, sometimes so little that you can't punish. But if you GI you always get at least a launcher, and if your opponent can't re-GI then you just earned yourself 30%+ damage no problem.

Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    stream
  • Options

I've won Tekken tournaments without backdash cancelling. :P
    Besides, spacing was even easier in SC. Emphasis on was, because after the patches movement has been nerfed to all hell.

And I believe reaction throw breaks aren't a bad thing. Heck in SCII I used to break throws on reaction. Now, it just plants me on my ass for some reason.

• Options
    Breaking throws on reaction is perfectly natural and expected.

Being able to recognize which throw is coming and breaking it on reaction because you know which throw it is, well that's goofy and undermines the point of throws in the first place. Plus it's actually one of the biggest artificial barriers there is in fighting games.

The real difference here is that Soulcalibur 5 tells you what just guards are and everyone knows they're in the game. Tekken, Street Fighter, etc, don't tell you fuck all about these skills that are pretty much required to play at any sort of competitive level. I mean, that so many people don't even know about backdash cancelling (and other Tekken movement gimmicks) though it's been one of the biggest input hurdles in the series for years now. That speaks volumes.

stream
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Yeah. That honestly something that annoys me about fighting games in general.

I think competent tutorial modes should be placed in most of them.

• Options
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Yeah. That honestly something that annoys me about fighting games in general.

I think competent tutorial modes should be placed in most of them.

Competent tutorials should be placed in ALL of them.

At least most communities point users to the right resources, and strategy guides have improved immensely with pro input.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    There was a tournament held in the Korean SC community to send the best player to EVO. I obviously didn't participate because I had no chance in hell to even get into the top 10.

http://ko.twitch.tv/cafeid

The winner was Kura, who now plays as Pat.

EVOL on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    I get the suspicion that the US isnt going to arrange to send anyone to SBO for SC5 :<

Went to a tournament in Memphis over the weekend. Mick came up, since he is from that area. Murdered me completely free 2nd round. Then he loses to a Zwei and then to someone else to get 9th, whereas I cleared the rest of the loser's bracket and got 3rd :3

• Options
    They're more likely to go to France, since that's an established relationship. Japan is pretty far. Hell, it's rare for Capcom players to go to SBO. I would be less surprised if some European players made it, as some of them are rolling in money (which is why they go to as many North American tourneys as they do).

stream
  • Options
    Daishi posted the results for some online Japanese tourney. An Ezio won! I guess those Japanese players really are doing something different.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vQguXaVhNok&amp;feature=channel&amp;list=UL

I also wrote something that has a little to do with SC5 and I've got nowhere else to promote it so here.

stream
  • Options
    Got 2nd at Midwest Championships in Nashville. Makin it rain EVO points.

• Options
    Who came in 1st?

• Options
    One of the locals that goes by Astaroth. I consistently get bodied by Astaroth. Who is his worst matchup. I need a pocket character anyway.

• Options
    I think Maxi does pretty well against him, but mostly it's about being able to recognize his silliest setups and not eat stupid 60% meter combos. And never go near a wall.

stream
  • Options
    One of the locals that goes by Astaroth. I consistently get bodied by Astaroth. Who is his worst matchup. I need a pocket character anyway.

My brothers advice for Astaroth was something akin to "Just duck a lot."

That being said I've been getting more accustom to the match myself. Just use his slowness to your advantage and yeah...tech crouch attacks.

A lot of tech crouch attacks.

• Options
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Best of luck, Dr Mario.

I got a seeder as my 1st match myself.

Guys how do i fight natsu with mitsu i dunno

B:L on
  • Options
    If they made the brackets before the results and points were in from the major I just played....I think I may have wasted a lot of time and money :\

Though I immediately recognize any of those names, so maybe its not so bad.

• Options
    edited June 2012
    woah. The brackets are changing in real time. Now I'm in a different pool entirely. I have to play Rip now. Man, give me the old position with that guy I've never heard of :|

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    I think your first opponent is a Pat, and you've got animefreak in there, who is pretty good, and Eddypistons but I'm not sure who he's maining in sc5. The Japanese player I have no idea.

Good luck. If evo wasn't so early this year a might have. Chances of sc5 making it again next year are probably low. Not sure how long I'll have to wait before there's another I'd want to go to.

stream
  • Options
    Now theres a #9 next to my name! NINE! feelsgoodman.jpg

• Options
    They're changing the brackets every 10 minutes!

stream
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Best of luck, Dr Mario.

I got a seeder as my 1st match myself.

Guys how do i fight natsu with mitsu i dunno

My brother is saying he think Mitsu has a decent enough time against Natsu.

You can punish her 66b attack with b6.

I would also suggest a lot of 2a to keep her from doing dumb shit.

But 2a is always a good answer.

And of course never tech.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited June 2012
    Natsu 66B is -16. So is 66K. 66AB. You can probably get AA off of 22B. Blocked purple bomb is -14 or -15.

For the love of god, duck the 2nd hit of 66B(BE). Mitsu might be able to space her out with his better attack range.

You're probably going to eat a lot of random A+B from midrange. Its -12 and I dont think Mitsu can do much about that.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Nah forget Natsu, brackets changed.

Now I get to face this Voldo from Singapoor

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AbHmuWEcV7E

• Options
    Fuudo beats Kayane!

I just got home and missed most of the matches. I'll have to check the vods tomorrow, if they're up. In fact, Soulcalibur is getting all of Saturday off.

stream
  • Options
    edited July 2012
    double post ftl

Page- on
    stream
  • Options
    Looks like Mario Kart got 4th in his group? So close!

stream
  • Options
    who's that siegfried who just put woahzzz on blast?

• Options
    Shen Yuan from Singapore. Those Shens are all really good players.

stream
  • Options
    yo shoutouts to namco for viola infinites

• Options
    Doesn't seem to matter. Land 3 Viola infinites, lost anyway.

And lose to Justice!!

stream