Options

Computer Build Thread: Old Dead Thread, Read New Thread

• Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    Cool, thanks for the replies. Super duper helpful. Now I have to decide how much research I want to do on replacing power supplies? Sigh...

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    a better solution than trying to find a psu small enough to fit in that case, or trusting the quality of replacements like this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-320W-HP-Pavilion-Slimline-s5310f-Power-Supply-/260824259687
    would be to just buy a new case/psu combo, than you wouldn't be stuck with a single width video card, which tend to be a bit over-priced for the power they provide. Might cost you a little bit more though.

but ya those little hp/dell/whatever computers are always sigh inducing when you want to upgrade anything on them, they love to use custom parts to save money.

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    The Green Eyed MonsterThe Green Eyed Monster i blame hip hop Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Foomy wrote:
    but ya those little hp/dell/whatever computers are always sigh inducing when you want to upgrade anything on them, they love to use custom parts to save money.

Yeah, and I knew that when I bought it (great price!) I just wasn't prepared for how dismal the onboard graphics card is. But thanks, within two replies I pretty much have the road map I need to upgrade, so that's awesome. Really, really appreciate the help!

The Green Eyed Monster on
  • Options
    mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Djeet wrote:
    If I buy an SSD for windows and a few choice apps/games/whatever... how exactly do I:

A) clean out windows on my current primary HDD without losing the ~800gb of programs and steam I have on it?

B) get new windows on the SSD to find all the programs that are still installed on the old primary HDD?

If I'm interpreting what you say correctly you're wanting to move or otherwise reattach installed programs (up to nearly a TB) to a new installation of Windows on a significantly smaller drive (e.g. 256 GB SSD). You cannot do this with the vast majority of applications. There may be a way to move over steam games/saves to the new Windows install (I don't know how to do this, but other guys here will know), but you cannot "move" most applications as in addition to the files they copy to the Program Files (or AppData) directory, they will install and register DLLs, and make all kinds of registry edits that will be near impossible to replicate. Some utility applications are just runtime executables that don't require registry entries and whatnot, but they are not the norm.

Is this really true? I always got the impression that junction points (or whatever they're called) can fix most of this...those work at the filesystem level, so any application looking for c:\stuff\shit\files.whatever will find it just fine if you create a junction point linking c:\stuff to d:\stuff.

Like, you should literally be able to create a junction point for "Program Files" pointing to your D : drive (or whatever your mechanical drive is) and be just fine. Better though is to use steammover to create junction points for each application within another "Program Files" directory (so you have a "Program Files" on both drives). This is how I do it.

As for getting things migrated, there are tools out there that will basically migrate whatever will fit (starting with Windows), and then you could junction point for the rest.

EDIT: I can say from experience that I've had zero problem migrating windows over to a 120GB SSD, and junction-pointing several of my applications back over to my mechanical drives.

EDIT: According to wikipedia, there are a few little issues you need to watch out for with junction points, but in general they should serve you just fine as a way to move large applications back and forth across two drives.

mcdermott on
  • Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    mcdermott wrote:
    Djeet wrote:
    If I buy an SSD for windows and a few choice apps/games/whatever... how exactly do I:

A) clean out windows on my current primary HDD without losing the ~800gb of programs and steam I have on it?

B) get new windows on the SSD to find all the programs that are still installed on the old primary HDD?

If I'm interpreting what you say correctly you're wanting to move or otherwise reattach installed programs (up to nearly a TB) to a new installation of Windows on a significantly smaller drive (e.g. 256 GB SSD). You cannot do this with the vast majority of applications. There may be a way to move over steam games/saves to the new Windows install (I don't know how to do this, but other guys here will know), but you cannot "move" most applications as in addition to the files they copy to the Program Files (or AppData) directory, they will install and register DLLs, and make all kinds of registry edits that will be near impossible to replicate. Some utility applications are just runtime executables that don't require registry entries and whatnot, but they are not the norm.
    ...snip discussion of junction points...

Just to throw in another anecdote (≠ proof) I have had zero issues using junctions to move anything on/off my SSD, be it programs or data.

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Quick question about the 2500k:

When idle at 1600MHz, voltage sits at 1.24v, but when under load at 4400MHz, voltage drops to 1.20v. All of this on CPU-Z. Any reason to be worried?

• Options
    ParielPariel Registered User regular
    Does the temperature go up? Resistivity in semiconductors is reduced as temperature increases (slightly, anyway), which could be the reason you're seeing that.

Honestly, I wouldn't worry about anything other than temperature and whether things work. It's not like you're going to diagnose circuit problems in a motherboard or chip.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:

When idle at 1600MHz, voltage sits at 1.24v, but when under load at 4400MHz, voltage drops to 1.20v. All of this on CPU-Z. Any reason to be worried?

This is called "voltage droop". It's perfectly normal.

• Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Satsumomo wrote:

This here is correct.

The only reason to care is if your overclock is unstable and needs more volts.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I just went out and spent $200 on a sound card. I'm a god damn wackjob sometimes.

minor incident on
    Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
  • Options
    emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    I think my Corsair Force 3 SSD might be slow...are there any recommended benchmarks?

AS SSD reports my speeds as :

Read Write
    Seq: 205.21MB/s 95.88MB/s
    4k: 18.02MB/s 68.74MB/s
    4k-64: 95.17MB/s 95.49MB/s
    Acc. Time: .195ms .273ms

Is that normal? Is that good? Am I crazy?

Crystal Disk Mark puts it at:
    Seq 211.4MB/s read/110.7MB/s write
    512k 202.4MB/s read/105.2MB/s write
    4k 27.34MB/s read/ 97.33MB/s write
    4k QD32 86.86MB/s read/103.3MB/s write.

Just seems low for something rated at 550MB/s 510MB/s sequential read/write.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    I just went out and spent $200 on a sound card. I'm a god damn wackjob sometimes.

No worse than a bunch of us!

@emp123 I think people generally tend to use crystal disk mark for short term drive benchmarking.

There are some longer term tests/analysis you can run but I'm not very familiar with it.

For comparison here's a quick run on my 256gig m4

jRek5.png

I had my usual complement of stuff open but wasn't doing anything particular to put a load on the drive. It's my main windows/app drive and has about 160gigs of stuff on it.

How much free space does your drive have? And also what size is it?

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    120GB drive with 46.9GB free.

It looks like Im getting half the speeds you are on a drive that should be theoretically faster...

emp123 on
  • Options
    edited February 2012
    Just ran CDM on my 120gig agility 3, which is presently entirely empty.

9PPaN.png

The extra size on my m4 is playing a big role since one of the big speed gains SSDs have is parallel access to the nand chips, so on smaller drives throughput is naturally lower.

I'd chalk up the differing speeds between the two smaller drives as the difference between a loaded drive and an empty drive, so it looks like you're roughly in the right ballpark as far as real world performance goes.

Day of the Bear on
    m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Oh right, now I remember why I was waiting for the 256GB SSDs to drop in price. Still though I paid under $1/GB for this drive so I guess its not all bad. Maybe I'll throw it in my laptop when the 256s drop.

Kinda makes me wonder why its taking a long time for my computer to switch between Aero and non-Aero (if I play BF3 for a long time Windows kicks down to non-Aero).

• Options
    Could be a CPU bound issue? I doubt that the change from aero being on to off is tied up mostly in storage.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular

Yes, but you have really good taste so it's ok. Also, if I had any part in you spending that kind of money to get better sound from your Mixamp I'm really sorry, but I do hope you enjoy what you hear.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    I dunno, switching between the two was slow on my mechanical drive and it was fast when I first got the SSD and I have moved some shit off it (temp folder and something else) so maybe thats it, but I have a 2600k running at 4.5Ghz, I dont think switching between Aero/non-Aero would be much of an issue for it.

• Options
    FoomyFoomy Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    hmm do you have AHCI enabled? that could cause a little slower results than advertised if it isn't on.
    http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/61869-ahci-enable-windows-7-vista.html

Foomy on
    Steam Profile: FoomyFooms
  • Options
    Yep, both in the Bios and in Windows.

• Options
    SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    a5ehren wrote:
    Satsumomo wrote:

Sweet, thanks!

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    well shit. I may have just killed my computer. I was following an OC guide linked by someone on these forums, set my 2500k to 4.5 and tfollowed all the settings in the guide from ASUS. on saving and booting it went to an error screen saying my temp and my voltage where too high and I had to go to setup to deal with that. In the bios screen it froze. I reset the computer and it did the same thing. this time in BIOS i had it reload it's defaults, saved and reset. Now it powers on but nothing ever happens. The monitor never flips from standbye to on.

So um... shit.

• Options
    unplug everything except a single stick of ram and try booting again.

If it still doesn't work you can go all the way to pulling the CPU and power cycling and then letting it sit for a while.

Does your motherboard have a reset cmos button on it?

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Cormac wrote:

Yes, but you have really good taste so it's ok. Also, if I had any part in you spending that kind of money to get better sound from your Mixamp I'm really sorry, but I do hope you enjoy what you hear.

You may have been responsible, but it's okay. I'm rather pleased with the whole setup now. Now that you pointed it out to me and I did some A/B testing, I saw the light. Also, my Soundblaster was shit, so out I went for an Asus Xonar Essence STX. I couldn't be more pleased with the setup now. I'm thinking I might actually just use the Dolby Headphone feature on the Xonar and move the Mixamp to my MacBook Pro so I can get better sound there. I was pleasantly surprised by how well the Xonar does surround sound to headphones all by itself.

So, in short: Thanks. You've further enabled a nasty addition, but you're helping me make my manshoots sound better.

• Options
    edited February 2012
    unplug everything except a single stick of ram and try booting again.

If it still doesn't work you can go all the way to pulling the CPU and power cycling and then letting it sit for a while.

Does your motherboard have a reset cmos button on it?

I don't know if it has a button on it. I think I can pull the battery on it though. I guess I'll start pulling stuff.

initiatefailure on
  • Options
    My first step would be a cmos clear if you can, and then trying it with nothing except a single stick of ram. Is it a z68 or a p67?

If z68 I'd even pull your gpu and just run off the onboard graphics while you troubleshoot

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Hey Minor, does that card allow for swapping between different outputs from within windows, like without having to plug/unplug stuff?

I like listening to music/watching netflix with speakers, but headphones are good for games and i'd very much like to be able to swap easily between the two.

Having actual headphone surround would also be nice, but there's a lotta ways to get that.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Hey Minor, does that card allow for swapping between different outputs from within windows, like without having to plug/unplug stuff?

I like listening to music/watching netflix with speakers, but headphones are good for games and i'd very much like to be able to swap easily between the two.

Having actual headphone surround would also be nice, but there's a lotta ways to get that.

Yep! It has optical/coax audio out, 2-channel RCA stereo out, and headphone out. It also has a pass-through to your front panel inputs, of course. You can swap to any of those outputs in the config application without having to unplug the headphones. I've got my speakers plugged into the RCAs and my headphones into the headphone-out. It's working great so far. The headphone surround sound is working wonderfully, too. Very happy with this purchase.

• Options
    it's a p67.

tried resetting cmos with the jumpers. nothing.
    tried removing the cmos battery and moving jumpers. nothing.
    only things plugged in are power, fans GPU and one ram stick

• Options

Yep! It has optical/coax audio out, 2-channel RCA stereo out, and headphone out. It also has a pass-through to your front panel inputs, of course. You can swap to any of those outputs in the config application without having to unplug the headphones. I've got my speakers plugged into the RCAs and my headphones into the headphone-out. It's working great so far. The headphone surround sound is working wonderfully, too. Very happy with this purchase.

Hmmm

guess I'll end up picking one up in the not too distant future then.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options

Hmmm

guess I'll end up picking one up in the not too distant future then.

Somehow it makes me feel better about blowing 200 bucks if I know it's caused you to do the same.

Is this how alcoholics feel?

• Options
    Oh you make me wanna spend a whole lot more than that on audio gear.

I'm just trying to restrain myself right now since I'm blowing out the budget on other stuff just now.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Alright well none of the solutions involving CMOS clears and unplugging all non-essentials worked.
    Work in the morning so I'll let everything cool down overnight. Tomorrow I'll dig out my motherboard speaker and see if I'm getting any post messages. If there's no change I'm basically at the limit of my expertise.
    Called in all my tech friends that I may need their advice tomorrow as well.

Ugh, I just hope it's fixable. Because half my paycheck for a new i5 the same time as rent is due just isn't going to work out.

• Options
    Hey hey, when did we start concerning ourselves with silly things like budgets?

• Options
    Looking at my machine? Apparently never.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    @day of the bear I'll get back to you on those voltage settings but I think 4.5 is good and I'll just wait to see what Kepler prices are like for gpus. I just had a spending itch and thought about liquid cooling.

• Options
    Heh, fair'nuff. Liquid is neat stuff.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Im not going to lie, Ive been super tempted to try evaporative cooling for a while now. I mean, I know itll make whatever room my computer is in humid and itll probably be loud and its totally overkill, but fuck man, that shit cools nuclear power plants.

• Options
    HandgimpHandgimp R+L=J Family PhotoRegistered User regular
    emp123 wrote:
    Im not going to lie, Ive been super tempted to try evaporative cooling for a while now. I mean, I know itll make whatever room my computer is in humid and itll probably be loud and its totally overkill, but fuck man, that shit cools nuclear power plants.

Not really the same thing. The point of cooling a nuclear plant is make make dry saturated steam to push a turbine. :p

PwH4Ipj.jpg
  • Options
    Handgimp wrote:
    emp123 wrote:

Not really the same thing. The point of cooling a nuclear plant is make make dry saturated steam to push a turbine. :p

Then whats with the steam here:
    c32aa010_Nuclear-cooling-tower.jpeg

This discussion has been closed.