As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Lets talk Horror Movies!

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sentry wrote:
    adytum wrote:
    The problem with 28 Days Later isn't that there was social commentary. It's that the social commentary was ham-handed.

As opposed to the subtlety inherent in a bunch of zombies attacking a shopping mall? Might I posit that zombie movies are not where one immediately goes for subtlety?

You can't make a movie with well-handled and subtle commentary? It's all-or-nothing? No in-between?

I will say that particular segment of 28 Days Later may have been salvageable with better acting and writing. As shot it was a multifaceted jewel of terribleness.

adytum on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
  • Options
    SentrySentry Registered User regular
    adytum wrote:
    Sentry wrote:
    adytum wrote:
    The problem with 28 Days Later isn't that there was social commentary. It's that the social commentary was ham-handed.

As opposed to the subtlety inherent in a bunch of zombies attacking a shopping mall? Might I posit that zombie movies are not where one immediately goes for subtlety?

You can't make a movie with well-handled and subtle commentary? It's all-or-nothing? No in-between?

I will say that particular segment of 28 Days Later may have been salvageable with better acting and writing. As shot it was a multifaceted jewel of terribleness.

I don't know. I won't lie, when it comes to zombie movies I've never seen it done. The Walking Dead maybe comes closest, but it is a series and can take the time to make it about the survivors and not about the zombies. Can you tell me a zombie movie you feel nailed the social commentary in a way that was both subtle and convincing? I can't think of one. But to be fair, I haven't watched Zombie Strippers on my Netflix yet... that could be the winner.

Honestly, the two that come closest are probably Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, but those are comedies and are kind of cheating.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:

I thought the vampires in the first movie were sneaky -- they're so sly in the sequel that you don't even know that the film's been released until a year after the fact!

• Options
    adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Sentry wrote:
    Can you tell me a zombie movie you feel nailed the social commentary in a way that was both subtle and convincing? I can't think of one. But to be fair, I haven't watched Zombie Strippers on my Netflix yet... that could be the winner.

Honestly, the two that come closest are probably Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland, but those are comedies and are kind of cheating.

This is exactly why I don't really watch zombie or horror movies: they're almost universally bad films. The only time they come on my radar is when they're of particular note. 28 Days Later was widely hailed as a breakthrough in digital film-making and an all-around great film. It was half a good film followed up by some ridiculous parts that ruined it. Yet, there was nothing inherently wrong with where the film went. It was just handled poorly in nearly every regard.

adytum on
  • Options
    There was social commentary in the zombie movie The House of the Dead?
    :rotate:

• Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    There was social commentary in the zombie movie The House of the Dead?
    :rotate:

Sure. The zombies represent people that would pay to see The House of the Dead.

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    something something videogames, models on rotating platforms, something something, bif naked.

That was about everything in the HotD movie.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    Kay wrote:
    something something videogames, models on rotating platforms, something something, bif naked.

I am kind of ashamed that I watched both House of the Dead movies, then again there is few zombie movies I havent seen...

But I will say, Redneck Zombies holds a special place in my heart. So bad, but so good.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    adytum wrote:

Capt Howdy wrote:
    I'm not saying it's not a commentary. I'm just saying no one has to acknowledge it, like it, or believe you have to have it in a zombie movie - or GTFO! Thats just plain silly. Some people just want to see zombies eat brains, and they shouldn't be ostracized or told to stop watching for it.

All he said was that Jars was doing it wrong. He didn't start gathering a petition to revoke his Netflix account.

He told him to go watch slashers instead because all they're about is titties and gore. Which we ALL know isn't true. Slashers are a morality tale; do something wrong and you will die horribly, whilst nude, and doing what you shouldn't have. Or some shit.

Like Zombie movies are some how more high brow than Slashers. Pfft.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    darkmayo wrote:
    Kay wrote:

I am kind of ashamed that I watched both House of the Dead movies, then again there is few zombie movies I havent seen...

But I will say, Redneck Zombies holds a special place in my heart. So bad, but so good.

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=zombies

From simply typing 'zombies' into imdb, I see there is Humans vs Zombies, Pot Zombies, and Cockney's vs Zombies.

EDIT: WUT. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014334/

emnmnme on
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    darkmayo wrote:
    Kay wrote:

I watched the first one, because I was looking for work and a housemate had ordered it through Netflix.

I still resent the fact that I watched it. (Even though it had Bif Naked in it. Briefly.)

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote:
    darkmayo wrote:
    Kay wrote:

http://www.imdb.com/find?s=all&q=zombies

From simply typing 'zombies' into imdb, I see there is Humans vs Zombies, Pot Zombies, and Cockney's vs Zombies.

EDIT: WUT. http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2014334/

yea there is probably far more zombie movies than one could possibly watch or even find. Thats the trick though, finding them, seen most of the 70 italian zombie films, a ton of indie zombie films, most of the big/ger budget zombie film, if someone was to say hey here is a zombie movie you should watch it, I probably would.. even if I knew it was going to be terrible.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    NappuccinoNappuccino Surveyor of Things and Stuff Registered User regular
    Just because a genre typically has added depth doesn't mean there aren't people who see those movies, miss the depth, and go "IMMA MAKE A ZOMBIE MOVIE"

It happens all the time in movies, music, books, art.... you name it and that happens.

Like to write? Want to get e-published? Give us a look-see at http://wednesdaynightwrites.com/
    Rorus Raz wrote: »
    There's also the possibility you just can't really grow a bear like other guys.

Not even BEAR vaginas can defeat me!
    cakemikz wrote: »
    And then I rub actual cake on myself.
    Loomdun wrote: »
    thats why you have chest helmets
  • Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    emnmnme wrote:
    Stay away.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    Nappuccino wrote:
    Just because a genre typically has added depth doesn't mean there aren't people who see those movies, miss the depth, and go "IMMA MAKE A ZOMBIE MOVIE"

It happens all the time in movies, music, books, art.... you name it and that happens.

shit.. I wanna make a zombie movie.

Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    Has anyone else seen Aaah! Zombies! (also apparently known as Wasting Away)? It's a low-budget zomedy (is that a word? it is now) filmed mostly from the POV of the zombies, who don't actually realize they're zombies. It's pretty clever and rather fun.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    Sentry wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    Mikey CTS wrote:
    Jars wrote:
    not just the end but the whole movie from when they get to the compound is it trying to be some sort of ivory tower social commentary movie instead of a horror movie and it's dumb. like the zombies only exist to force the people into the situation where the director can talk about it instead of the zombies.

I want zombies damn it not re population morality

Then you're watching the wrong goddamn genre. Almost every zombie movie ever is in some way a social commentary. It's one of the tropes of the zombie films. Night of the Living Dead? Racial tensions. Dawn of the Dead? Consumerism. Day of the Dead? With all the visuals specifically tied to Vietnam films is... you guessed it, commentary on war/military industrial complex. Zombieland poked fun at this trope, which is, in itself, a commentary on film.

I guess what I'm trying to say is this: you're doing it wrong. If you want mindless slaughter without any commentary go with any one of the myriad slasher flicks out there. I promise you, they are plentiful and with nary a thought out of "tits" and "gore" given to them.

No, you're doing it wrong. The viewer has no responsibility to understand, enjoy, support, or even acknowledge the film maker's intended message.

If all Jars gets from Dawn of the Dead is zombies eating brains and awesome kills, then there is nothing wrong with that. If I see DotD as a commentary about OWS vs Teabaggers, despite them not existing back then, there is nothing wrong with that either.

Its a movie, there is no wrong way to watch it, and no one should stop because they like different parts than you.

And slashers are about male domination of big boobied sluts with massive cock like penetrating weapons. (or just mindless killing, depends on your view)

You can watch it any way you want, but Mikey CTS's point was that it is stupid to criticize 28 Days Later for having overt social commentary when practically every zombie movie in history is chock full of it. Romero is not at all subtle about his social commentary (and I do believe Night of the Living Dead is about communism, the racial issues are actually present in the film if I remember correctly). You don't have to see the commentary if you don't want to, but to deny it's there, or even worse to criticize one movie for having it while letting the entire genre have a pass, is just unfair.

Frankly, zombies are almost by definition social commentary, and lazy social commentary at that. Pick your boogie-man, zombies are a ready-made stand in. At least 28 Days Later tries to go for a reversal, with man being more of a monster blah blah blah. A bit played out, but something different for the genre.

Spoilered for brevity. Basically this. :^:

I love when people who read my posts can more concisely elaborate on my points than I can. :P I'm a bad forumer it seems.

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    But just because Zombie history is littered with it doesn't mean it can't ruin the movie for some people. Especially when it punches you in the face the way 28 did. The rest were a little more subtle, 28 Days Peter Northed that shit. As many forumers have posted.

• Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    So I watched Lake Mungo last night and then I woke up at like 3 this morning and opened my eyes to see my daughter lying in my bed staring at me. Apparently she had a nightmare. Thanks sweetie, now I did too.

I think she was a Japanese ghost story in a past life, because she has this predilection for turning up in your bedroom in the middle of the night and staring at you until you awaken. One of these days I'm probably going to freak out and brain her with a table lamp or something.

Anyway, Lake Mungo was pretty good, though several of the shots didn't make a lot of sense given the mockumentary style.
    The jump-scare noise at the end when the camera freezes on Cell Phone Ghost Annie was cheap as hell but it about made me shit myself.

I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Help me remember this horror movie from the 80s: there is a green obelisk under a church. The obelisk contains the Devil. Local scientists study this obelisk and how it affects dreams but the Devil subtly influences them and eventually possesses/infects them outright, one by one. It must not have been very good or else I'd remember it better but it's always bugged me that I didn't know the title.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    emnmnme wrote:
    Help me remember this horror movie from the 80s: there is a green obelisk under a church. The obelisk contains the Devil. Local scientists study this obelisk and how it affects dreams but the Devil subtly influences them and eventually possesses/infects them outright, one by one. It must not have been very good or else I'd remember it better but it's always bugged me that I didn't know the title.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Prince_of_Darkness_(1987_film)?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    That's the one.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    But just because Zombie history is littered with it doesn't mean it can't ruin the movie for some people. Especially when it punches you in the face the way 28 did. The rest were a little more subtle, 28 Days Peter Northed that shit. As many forumers have posted.

That's a valid complaint. If it's not handled well, that's one thing.

But to say that social commentary ruins a zombie film which should be about killing flesh-eating zombies is to show that you are unaware of where the genre started.

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    ElJeffe wrote:
    So I watched Lake Mungo last night and then I woke up at like 3 this morning and opened my eyes to see my daughter lying in my bed staring at me. Apparently she had a nightmare. Thanks sweetie, now I did too.

I think she was a Japanese ghost story in a past life, because she has this predilection for turning up in your bedroom in the middle of the night and staring at you until you awaken. One of these days I'm probably going to freak out and brain her with a table lamp or something.

Anyway, Lake Mungo was pretty good, though several of the shots didn't make a lot of sense given the mockumentary style.
    The jump-scare noise at the end when the camera freezes on Cell Phone Ghost Annie was cheap as hell but it about made me shit myself.

Jeffe have you ever considered writing a book purely of anecdotes regarding your children? Because they are awesome.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Capt Howdy wrote:

But to say that social commentary ruins a zombie film which should be about killing flesh-eating zombies is to show that you are unaware of where the genre started.

Unaware or uncaring. Either way, you shouldn't tell someone to go watch something else if either is the case.

I didn't care for 28 Days/Weeks. Can't remember why, just didn't. I do remember really disliking the Military being portayed as the true bad guys, but I was born/raised/joined the military. I may have taken it personally. :D

• Options
    Part of my issue with 28 days later wasn't really a fan of "Hey lets throw in some rape references especially of an underage girl!" Zombies are horror enough don't need to add rape to the mix.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:

Unaware or uncaring. Either way, you shouldn't tell someone to go watch something else if either is the case.

I didn't care for 28 Days/Weeks. Can't remember why, just didn't. I do remember really disliking the Military being portayed as the true bad guys, but I was born/raised/joined the military. I may have taken it personally. :D

The problem with criticizing a zombie movie for being too heavy handed with the social commentary is that they are ALL like that. It's like criticizing a Michael Bay movie for having explosions, or for being terrible. I didn't particularly care much for the end of 28 Days Later (although I won't lie, I absolutely loathed 28 Weeks Later), but it wasn't because the social commentary was heavy handed as much as it was just asinine and predictable. It just wasn't GOOD social commentary. But man, compare it to Romero's Land of the Dead if you want to see some REALLY heavy handed commentary.

Like I said, if someone can point out a zombie movie that is able to provide a good viewing experience without being too heavy handed, I'm all for it. I very much liked the remake of Day of the Dead, but come on... even leaving out the shopping mall retread you had plenty of commentary with the security guard and the gunshop owner, not to mention the other one dimensional characters populating that movie.

Still enjoyed the hell out of it though. Possibly because it didn't seem to take itself too seriously. Which actually may have been 28 Days Later's biggest fault. The zombie movies that seem to be the best are the ones that are more tongue-in-cheek.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Just because it was obvious to you in DotD doesn't mean it was to other people. I'd say DotD and NotLD were much more subtle than 28 Days. Sure, I thought it was obvious, but thats because I read about it before I saw it. Not everyone goes in looking for the meaning or engages their brain to notice during a movie.

28 Days made sure you got the point. It was kind of just there in the first 2 Dead movies.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    My favourite zombie flicks are NotLD (despite Romero being involved) Return of the Living Dead, Undead and Shaun of the Dead. None of them tend to hammer the social commentary. Special mention to [REC] and Mulberry Street (which, granted, isn't about zombies but is certainly a zombie film).

the point with zombie films is never about the zombies tho; if they do that the movie is a complete bore. Zombies really aren't very interesting. The films are always about the breakdown of the people involved and how they deal with the situation. It's tough to do that without some sort of social commentary leaking in.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Capt Howdy wrote:
    Just because it was obvious to you in DotD doesn't mean it was to other people. I'd say DotD and NotLD were much more subtle than 28 Days. Sure, I thought it was obvious, but thats because I read about it before I saw it. Not everyone goes in looking for the meaning or engages their brain to notice during a movie.

28 Days made sure you got the point. It was kind of just there in the first 2 Dead movies.

I honestly don't see the difference. It was the plot of the movie. If you didn't want to see the meaning behind it then the movie is just about an army captain driven insane by a zombie outbreak who then gathers other soldiers driven insane by the zombie outbreak to do things that are insane. If you can just look at the surface of DotD or NotLD then why are you suddenly so introspective about 28 Days Later? I mean, you've already said it probably hit closer to home with you, and that's fine, but there's no reason Joe Schmoe has to look any deeper into 28 Days Later then you're saying he has to in any of Romero's work. And trust me, Romero's work (at least after Night) is SIGNIFICANTLY more heavy handed then anything 28 Days Later managed to accomplish.

On a different note, I just finished Trick r Treat. How have I never seen this before?

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
  • Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    My favourite zombie flicks are NotLD (despite Romero being involved) Return of the Living Dead, Undead and Shaun of the Dead. None of them tend to hammer the social commentary. Special mention to [REC] and Mulberry Street (which, granted, isn't about zombies but is certainly a zombie film).

the point with zombie films is never about the zombies tho; if they do that the movie is a complete bore. Zombies really aren't very interesting. The films are always about the breakdown of the people involved and how they deal with the situation. It's tough to do that without some sort of social commentary leaking in.

It's kind of curious that one of the best zombie flicks out there is a parody of zombie flicks.

Night of the Living Dead is pretty fantastic, too. It pulls off the "fishbowl" thing really well, where you seal a bunch of characters in a small place and it kind of turns into a mini version of society. I read somewhere once that NotLD is a great argument against auteur theory. A whole mess of people worked together to make that movie the classic that it became, and once it shot Romero off into stardom, and he started directing movies without all those people, The series went downhill fast. I do really like the original Dawn of the Dead, though.

• Options
    Sentry wrote:
    Capt Howdy wrote:

I honestly don't see the difference. It was the plot of the movie. If you didn't want to see the meaning behind it then the movie is just about an army captain driven insane by a zombie outbreak who then gathers other soldiers driven insane by the zombie outbreak to do things that are insane. If you can just look at the surface of DotD or NotLD then why are you suddenly so introspective about 28 Days Later? I mean, you've already said it probably hit closer to home with you, and that's fine, but there's no reason Joe Schmoe has to look any deeper into 28 Days Later then you're saying he has to in any of Romero's work. And trust me, Romero's work (at least after Night) is SIGNIFICANTLY more heavy handed then anything 28 Days Later managed to accomplish.

On a different note, I just finished Trick r Treat. How have I never seen this before?

It's easy to just look at the surface of DotD, but the social commentary of 28 Days is the surface. And I'm only making an issue of this because a guy was told to switch to slashers since he doesn't get what Zombie movies are supposed to be about.

As for Trick or Treat; Probably because the studio bungled the release pretty badly. I waited 2 or 3 years for that to be released after I first saw the trailer for it. Date kept getting pushed back, at one point it switched to not having a date, and then it was magically on DVD. Damn shame it got treated like that, I suspect it could have made some $$$ at the Box office.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    The weird thing about arguing what "all zombie movies" do is that most people are either talking about the basic exclusive set of George Romero's first three movies, plus Shaun of the Dead (a direct response to those movies), or they're talking about all of the zombie movies that branched off from those. Saying "all zombie movies contain social satire" is like saying "all Indiana Jones movies contain archaeology". The data set is far too small and incestuous to make the analysis meaningful. You could easily widen the data set to include pre-Romero zombie movies, offshoots like "Fido", brainless schlock like "Zombie Strippers" or "Dead Snow", pastiches like "Planet Terror", spiritual brethren like "28 Days Later", foreign interpretations like "Zombi 2", black comedies like "Return of the Living Dead", straight survival stories like "The Walking Dead", and dozens if not hundreds of others. But that would involve approaching the genre like any other disparate, largely irreducible group of films, and that's a lot harder to dismiss off-hand or obsessively curate.
    Night of the Living Dead is pretty fantastic, too. It pulls off the "fishbowl" thing really well, where you seal a bunch of characters in a small place and it kind of turns into a mini version of society. I read somewhere once that NotLD is a great argument against auteur theory. A whole mess of people worked together to make that movie the classic that it became, and once it shot Romero off into stardom, and he started directing movies without all those people, The series went downhill fast. I do really like the original Dawn of the Dead, though.

Auteur theory doesn't say that the director makes it good; it says that all of a director's movies share commonalities. Night and Dawn certainly do, and Romero's style is also quite evident in his (criminally underwatched) vampire movie "Martin". I'd have to watch more of his work to argue more effectively, but I think he probably qualifies.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I enjoyed the first 20-30 minutes of I Am Legend.

• Options
    Delta AssaultDelta Assault Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote:

"One of the greatest movies ever made." -Ben Lyons

• Options
    SammyFSammyF Registered User regular
    RT800 wrote:

I recall enjoying basically the entire thing, but all I can remember specifically is the scene where Will Smith sings Bob Marley's Three Little Birds to his dog...

...I am so fucking depressed thinking about that.

• Options
    jefe414jefe414 "My Other Drill Hole is a Teleporter" Mechagodzilla is Best GodzillaRegistered User regular
    I liked the first 20-30 minutes and then wish I turned it off. I have to watch Idle Hands tonight.

Xbox Live: Jefe414
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Jessica Alba was great in that movie.

Great looking

• Options
    Yeah the best part of that movie is when she's down to her bra and panties. Outside of that its horrible in every way possible.

pleasepaypreacher.net