Options

Batman - Arkham Origins/Blackgate announced, October 25th release date GET HYPE

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    They should do Batman Beyond anything

^^

Batman: Beyond Arkham has a nice ring to it.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    I loved both Arkham games but just can't seem to get excited for this one. Arkham City came out... what? Fall 2011, right? And with all the DLC and what not, I was still playing it 'till early-mid 2012. And just one year later, the hype cycle has begun again. The series could have used another year off, I think.

But then, City had a similar timegap after Asylum. I guess I just really sunk a lot of time into City. Probably wait a year before buying Origins.

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    To put it in perspective:

Arkham Asylum came out fall of 2009

In December 2009, a few months later, there was already a teaser for Arkham City at the VGAs (when it didn't have a title yet, remember?

It's been a year and a half since the last game, I think it's fine for the hype cycle to begin now

Besides, you should be hyped about the 3DS/Vita game, and we haven't had one of those yet

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    There was a teaser for Arkham City within Arkham Asylum itself, that's how soon they were working on the next one. And not just an easter egg, wink-wink type of deal. An actual plan of Arkham City on a wall in a hidden room.

The real shame is that this is a prequel. The ending of Arkham City gave me some hope that, for once, a comic book story would have permanence and progression. But I guess they nixed all that with the DLC, didn't they?

I kinda wish the Arkham storyline would conclude. It's a moneymaker, sure. But I actually really enjoyed the narrative arc of the first two games. The way the second built on the events of the first one in meaningful ways, more than just lip service.

Also: I don't fucking care about Batman's origins anymore. I'm sick of seeing a young Bruce learning anything. That's an arc that has been done to death and no matter what they do they're treading on Year One's territory and even Nolan came up short on that. It can't be done. It's already been done.

I guess Rocksteady are doing the Batman Beyond game then. I mean, if this is becoming a Call of Duty type deal then Arkham Origins is the Call of Duty 3 (WW2) to Rocksteady's Call of Duty 4 (NotIraq)

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    But this new game isn't Bruce's origin.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    Taranis wrote: »
    - Can string up an explosive barrel under a perch, lure enemies with a sonic batarang, then cut the rope with a normal batarang, dropping the explosive on their heads

So, Batman used to be a murderer?

He used a gun at one point

Not hockey pants though

Pads

Hockey pads

Not hockey pants

Sorry, his throat cancer made him difficult to understand

• Options
    The_ScarabThe_Scarab Registered User regular
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »

Anything with a younger Batman is still treading the same ground. Having to reconcile a regression in technology/abilities with the need for enhancement over the previous game. Plus, from the description, we're getting origin stories for how he met the supervillains, which is even more old hat at this point.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    i was hoping the rocksteady silver age batman game was a real thing. i honestly dont know if im in for a b team batman game this soon after arkham city, but we'll see as it gets close i guess. getting the platinum on arkham city kinda sucked me dry of enthusiasm for these games for the forseeable future.

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »

Anything with a younger Batman is still treading the same ground. Having to reconcile a regression in technology/abilities with the need for enhancement over the previous game. Plus, from the description, we're getting origin stories for how he met the supervillains, which is even more old hat at this point.

"Oh...that? Batman just forgot he had this convenient device in AA and AC."

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    So, the announcement of the new games had me pop AC in my ps3 last night, and I remembered that the new tv I got a few months ago is 3d capable, and hey, so is AC!
    A little disappointed, to be honest. Could just be my tv, but the 3d was subtle to the point of being barely noticeable. It's also the only game I've played in 3d, so I don't know if this is a common occurrence, either. I know the handful of 3d movies I've watched on it didn't have this 'problem' (airquotes because it's not really a huge deal to me, just an observation).
    Also, I realized I never got around to playing any of the DLC. How worth it is any of it if the idea of challenges for their own sake (that is, no story) doesn't appeal to me?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    I never played the Harley Quinn DLC, but if you don't care about the combat challenges, then you should probably skip the other ones.

Robin is really cool, though. His challenge stage is like a 2.5D side scroller. Nightwing is ok, but I could never really get the hang of him.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    So, the announcement of the new games had me pop AC in my ps3 last night, and I remembered that the new tv I got a few months ago is 3d capable, and hey, so is AC!
    A little disappointed, to be honest. Could just be my tv, but the 3d was subtle to the point of being barely noticeable. It's also the only game I've played in 3d, so I don't know if this is a common occurrence, either. I know the handful of 3d movies I've watched on it didn't have this 'problem' (airquotes because it's not really a huge deal to me, just an observation).
    Also, I realized I never got around to playing any of the DLC. How worth it is any of it if the idea of challenges for their own sake (that is, no story) doesn't appeal to me?

its all challenge rooms, so if you dont want to play a shitload more challenge rooms with different characters then dont buy it. if youve finished all the challenge rooms in the base game and somehow want to do all that stuff again with different movesets then go for it.

• Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I left a number of goons face down and unconscious in sewer water in AA. I'm guessing that's probably fatal.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    Didn't we decide that Batman pretty much kills everyone a while ago. Alfred programmed the AR stuff in the cowl to display "unconscious" status on the mooks so Bats doesn't lose his shit.

It's the best explaination.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    Ben McKenzie did a decent job for Batman: Year One, I think.

It's hard for me to be objective here since anything without Kevin Conroy just sounds weird.

Diedrich Bader did a really good job in Batman: Brave and the Bold.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    jclast wrote: »

It's hard for me to be objective here since anything without Kevin Conroy just sounds weird.

He's good, but I have a hard time seeing him as a truly serious Batman.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    In Arkham Asylum there's that one area built around Mr Freeze's cell where you can knock people off ledges. Every time you did so, you would hear a "splash", indicating they hit water.

I always thought that was an amusing way to cover their tracks.
    I never actually heard the splash from the combat sounds of fighting the 10 other goons on the platform.

forty on
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular

In December 2009, a few months later, there was already a teaser for Arkham City at the VGAs (when it didn't have a title yet, remember?

It's been a year and a half since the last game, I think it's fine for the hype cycle to begin now

Besides, you should be hyped about the 3DS/Vita game, and we haven't had one of those yet

It's actually working perfectly for me because I'm just rolling off of Armored Edition and I'm hungry for more Batman.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

It's actually working perfectly for me because I'm just rolling off of Armored Edition and I'm hungry for more Batman.

And now you can get 2 games!

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Oh hey, I'm all over another BATMAN: ARKHAM game. I'd rate it the second-best series in PC gaming right now, after MASS EFFECT.

• Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular

Every time he spoke all I could think is "why is Oswald pretending to be Batman?"

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options

Every time he spoke all I could think is "why is Oswald pretending to be Batman?"

And why was he pretending to be Guy Gardner?

guy-gardner.jpg?w=584

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jclastjclast Registered User regular
    I like him in that, too. I actually prefer Guy to Hal every time they're both on screen.

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    MugaazMugaaz Registered User regular
    Mugaaz wrote: »
    Im sick of prequels in any form. Not interested.
    1818_3803_500.jpeg.jpg

No. The first two games were good, really good. There was a story there that I was following and enjoyed. Now they are just doing ultra lame bullshit prequel stuff, relying on old hat origin story material Ive seen 50 times and don't care about. They setup a very interesting premise for where the last one ended and the next would go, now they are bailing. Why? because it would be more difficult to continue that story? Prequel story/games are the F'ing worst on top of it. Gee, this life or death scenario batman and side character are in is really nerve-wracking, considering I already know for a fact they survived. Pass.

• Options
    Im sick of prequels in any form. Not interested.
    1818_3803_500.jpeg.jpg

No. The first two games were good, really good. There was a story there that I was following and enjoyed. Now they are just doing ultra lame bullshit prequel stuff, relying on old hat origin story material Ive seen 50 times and don't care about. They setup a very interesting premise for where the last one ended and the next would go, now they are bailing. Why? because it would be more difficult to continue that story? Prequel story/games are the F'ing worst on top of it. Gee, this life or death scenario batman and side character are in is really nerve-wracking, considering I already know for a fact they survived. Pass.
    Batman dies

Happy now?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Well, if you can wait a super long time for Rocksteady's (99.9% certain) next Arkham game, more power to you.

I'll be feasting like a pig on a buffet of Arkham Origins and Blackgate goodness.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Well, if you can wait a super long time for Rocksteady's (99.9% certain) next Arkham game, more power to you.

I'll be feasting like a pig on a buffet of Arkham Origins and Blackgate goodness.

Seriously. A 2.5D Batroidvania game sounds awesome to me.

And more console goodness is never a bad thing.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    "Batroidvania" is my new favorite word.

• Options
    Yeah, people getting mad over this not being a sequel...what the hell do you think Rocksteady's doing? Would you rather have nothing in the meantime? Batman is WB's cash cow, who knows how Injustice will do, so yeah, getting another one out is likely needed. And it's not like we're at a saturation point. Bet dollars to donuts that the Rocksteady Arkham game will continue the story, and be PS4/Durango/PC. Maybe even as early as next fall, though I'd put my money on early 2015.

• Options
    When it goes Next Gen, it better look as good as the original Arkham City reveal trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SESNFHf5x-g

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    Yeah, people getting mad over this not being a sequel...what the hell do you think Rocksteady's doing? Would you rather have nothing in the meantime? Batman is WB's cash cow, who knows how Injustice will do, so yeah, getting another one out is likely needed. And it's not like we're at a saturation point. Bet dollars to donuts that the Rocksteady Arkham game will continue the story, and be PS4/Durango/PC. Maybe even as early as next fall, though I'd put my money on early 2015.

Should have done a Catwoman spin off.

Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    I loved Catwoman's gameplay but wasn't particularly happy with their portrayal of her

Anyways, if this hits 100 pages and no one else has made a new thread I'll be happy to do so with all known info on the new games

• Options
    I loved Catwoman's gameplay but wasn't particularly happy with their portrayal of her

What? Would you have preferred Halle Berry?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    skeldare wrote: »

Her design was pretty similar to the one in the comics right now, right?

I'm not sure which direction Rocksteady could've taken that would've been better.

EH28YFo.jpg
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    The_Scarab wrote: »
    The real shame is that this is a prequel. The ending of Arkham City gave me some hope that, for once, a comic book story would have permanence and progression. But I guess they nixed all that with the DLC, didn't they?

What?

s7Imn5J.png
  • Options

Her design was pretty similar to the one in the comics right now, right?

I'm not sure which direction Rocksteady could've taken that would've been better.

I thought her design was fine, though I would have kept her goggles on more often, only taking them off at key plot moments like Batman's cowl

Remember those charges of sexism aimed at this game? Well, though for the most part I think they're off-base (can't expect Blackgate prisoners to be politically correct), Catwoman does nothing to challenge this notion. The literal first thing a thug says in this game during the intro is wanting to see what's underneath Catwoman's suit. And that's okay, for a criminal that's about to have the shit beaten out of him, but then you have Catwoman doing things like having a counter move where she kisses a random thug before slamming him to the ground. It's stupid. I get that Batman is silent in combat and it makes sense for him, but Catwoman should be similar to Spider-Man in being a barrel of wit in combat situations. Instead she simply takes all these sexually-charged insults (and there are a ton of them) with stone cold silence and a sexualized fighting style. It's...disheartening. I don't know if I'd want a full Catwoman game in that style, but if they changed the aesthetic and tone somewhere down the line, then absolutely.

Traversing the city was more fun with Catwoman than Batman, straight up

It was just annoying that while doing so with Catwoman, your intercom picked up messages repeatedly talking about how they were going to sexually assault her

• Options
    These aren't exactly the sanest most rational people.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited April 2013
    Yeah but the developers are

If we're going to use the old excuse of "these are prisoners," what kind of sexual assault do you think happens in prison? Typically man on man. And among all the big-talk threats of how they're going to kill Batman, does one ever threaten him in any sexual manner?

One line is said to Bruce in the intro - "You're gonna be my bitch, Wayne!" He is not suited up and not Batman at that point in time. You never hear any of these criminals say they're gonna make Batman his bitch. Batman kicks ass and is not to be trifled with to the point where no one would dare make that sort of remark, I suppose, but even though Catwoman also kicks equal amounts of criminal ass, all they can ever muster to say about her something sexually degrading. They don't even make simple death threats! Just sexually-fueled ones.

I'm not even arguing against it being in the game - it's just that they went completely overboard with it

You're playing it currently on the Wii U, right?

When you get to the endgame, switch to Catwoman and just swing around the city for an hour. You'd be amazed at the shit you hear.

I just hope they tone it down in the next game, is all. Contrary to current popular belief, your product does not need rape or implied rape to be dark and serious.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    I've gotten to the end game for both the 360 and Wii U versions, and I know what you're talking about. I understand what you're saying, I just don't necessarily agree or really care.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    I've gotten to the end game for both the 360 and Wii U versions, and I know what you're talking about. I understand what you're saying, I just don't necessarily agree or really care.

That's actually one of the main problems with it. It was included and considered acceptable by the developers because most males playing the game wouldn't really care. It doesn't make it a non issue to not care. It makes it worse. The worst type of discrimination is the kind that a victim would feel awkward or uncomfortable to speak up about because it's not overt enough. Subtle forms of discrimination actually end up harming the individual more because they feel helpless to do anything about it. They often actually feel guilty about feeling bad when it's not their fault and they have nothing to feel guilty about.
    It's the borderline cases you have to be more up in arms about, because they still do all the damage with none of the ability to speak out to mitigate some of the damage. It ends up being a constant set of wounds they can't do anything about and it does all the same psychological harm as the overt cases with this added baggage of feeling bad about feeling bad on top of it.
    You have to be more careful about edges case rather than less, or you are only paying lip service to the idea.
    The gray area might exist as a technicality, in a morally barren, cold as fuck kind of way, but treating it as a valid solution is actively harmful. You have to stomp on this shit with both feet from a flying dropkick. It's the only way to be sure.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.