As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bonfire Night - 5th Of November.

• Options
    LiiyaLiiya Registered User regular
    after all her time on this forum I'm shocked there's any left
    I'm starting to think there isn't much left, too.

Good grief, Ed! D:

And Meiz, thats a terribly rude thing to say.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Skull Man wrote:
    Meiz wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    The worst part of V for Vendetta was everything

Hey here's an idea. How about grabbing a fist full of your pubes and yanking them?

what, seriously?

that movie was dog shit

I didn't think it was that bad. I mean, it was obviously not the comic, but so what?

• Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    Yeah, I don't tend to live in very nice places. I hope no one had any lasting damage...

And Meiz is such a classy gent that I sometimes wonder what he's doing around here

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    meiz is pretty much always awful fyi

also there were some good bits in v, but man was there some hamfisted shit goddamn

also I am all for setting shi on fire and eating and then watching explosions

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    I would feel just awful if I found out the next day I'd burned a hedgehog alive.

Me too.

I hand-reared two hedgehog babies once whose mother had been accidentally speared by a gardener's fork. Man that poor gardener felt so bad.

• Options
    whoa I forgot you guys have wild hedgies

we just have rabbits here in florida

• Options
    Janson wrote:
    Liiya wrote:
    I would feel just awful if I found out the next day I'd burned a hedgehog alive.

Me too.

I hand-reared two hedgehog babies once whose mother had been accidentally speared by a gardener's fork. Man that poor gardener felt so bad.

D:

I suddenly understand that my grandfather's religious checking of the leaf litter for hedgehogs was a solemn duty and not just a way to keep his grandkids occupied

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    DrZiplockDrZiplock Registered User regular
    This was one of my favorite nights when I was living in York.

The entire crew team stumbled our way to the boat house, had a rather large part with required bonfire, burned an effigy or two and set off a whole mess of fireworks. By the end of the night/early there were just a few of us still sitting around the embers enjoy ourselves when someone tossed the trash into the fire to get it back up and blazing again.

Little did we know that the trash actually had a bunch of unused/dud fireworks still in it. Surprising light show while running for cover, let me tell you. I think two people ended up making a beeline for the river and diving in.

Ahhh..I miss that boathouse.

England has to be the only place in the world where you'll do a grueling 2 hour work out, come in off the water and have someone offer you hot tea. No..I want cold water, but thank you.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Liiya wrote:
    after all her time on this forum I'm shocked there's any left
    I'm starting to think there isn't much left, too.

Good grief, Ed! D:

And Meiz, thats a terribly rude thing to say.

V For Vendetta is serious business, lady.

• Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Hey, it was merely a suggestion, just like V being all kinds of awful was a suggestion.

The movie was pretty true to the graphic novel so I don't know what the hell you were expecting to see. Perhaps more fighting and explosions?

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    V for Vendetta wasn't a very good movie at all. I never read the comic, but i saw the movie and said "well that wasn't a very good movie"

• Options
    edited October 2011
    PiptheFair wrote:
    whoa I forgot you guys have wild hedgies

we just have rabbits here in florida

They are very cute to see snuffling about in the hedges. We're lucky with that.

Liiya on
  • Options
    Yes! Your grandfather was a good man, hedgehogs are great for gardens.

And yes, the UK has wild hedgehogs (in fact I believe it's illegal to keep them as pets?) and badgers, which together are just about cool enough to almost make up for the lack of kinds of wild animals that many other countries have.

• Options
    badgers are vicious things though

• Options
    Melding wrote:
    V for Vendetta wasn't a very good movie at all. I never read the comic, but i saw the movie and said "well that wasn't a very good movie"

Yes, this.

Also, it was weird how many of the actors were British but had been instructed to pronounce certain words in an American fashion. And the overuse of 'bugger' was just cringe-inducing.

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    I went to a hedgehog rehabilitation farm once
    it's where they nurse hedgehogs who have been injured back to proper health and it is the cutest thing in England besides maybe Imogen Heap

• Options
    A badger could eat me alive.

• Options
    I remember when we used to live at our old place, occasionally we'd see little bunnies hopping around on the property down the street

• Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    Ever get badger infestations? like rats, but badgers?

That'd be neat.

In concept.

"Oh ignore that, we just have a bit of a badger problem. don't' worry, the traps will get them"

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    also V for Vendetta wasn't that bad, people

• Options
    I've never encountered a badger! All my knowledge of them comes from anthropomorphic literature

• Options
    we have foxes and buns and raccoons and opossum and armadillos here

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Liiya wrote:
    A badger could eat me alive.

I never realised quite how big they were. Or how loud. They kind of grunt and breathe deeply and lurch around when they run and they're a tad scary

...look it was dark and there was no one else there, don't judge me!

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Brits and americans need to have shared holidays more.

So I'll make you guys a deal, I'll do this bonfire thing, and I'll get crackers and chocolate oranges for Christmas, but you guys have to blow shit up on July 4th and be disenfranchised with your family on Christmas like Americans do

• Options
    Janson wrote:
    I've never encountered a badger! All my knowledge of them comes from anthropomorphic literature

The kind where they are best friends with moles...? :D

• Options
    Janson wrote:

they are tremendously mean and quite strong

basically do not fuck with a badger unless they offer you a bit of tea and walk upright

• Options
    WrenWren ninja_bird Registered User regular
    I had a pet cat once

tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • Options
    MeizMeiz Registered User regular
    Was it the big words that they used? The layered story? I mean Kill Bill had the same premise but a little less layers and you probably liked that.

• Options
    You know what are the worst

Possums

hideous disgusting animals

• Options
    Liiya wrote:
    Janson wrote:

The kind where they are best friends with moles...? :D
    Exactly!

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote:
    we have foxes and buns and raccoons and opossum and armadillos here

Oh god opossums are the worst. And so ugly, to boot.

But, we have all read Stale's story.

• Options
    Meiz wrote:
    Was it the big words that they used? The layered story? I mean Kill Bill had the same premise but a little less layers and you probably liked that.

You are being really defensive about a movie that you had nothing to do with, man.

• Options
    Moriveth wrote:

Possums

you mean opossum

possums are from australia

• Options
    Also I thought the Kill Bill films were monstrously overrated

cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Bucketman wrote:

So I'll make you guys a deal, I'll do this bonfire thing, and I'll get crackers and chocolate oranges for Christmas, but you guys have to blow shit up on July 4th and be disenfranchised with your family on Christmas like Americans do

Ah, while it is a lovely offer, I guess as Brit spokesperson, we will decline. But thank you!

edit: Stale's story is out of this world!

Liiya on
  • Options
    Bucketman wrote:

That's not a fair trade at all.

Give the UK Thanksgiving, and then it'll be square.

• Options
    Janson wrote:
    Bucketman wrote:

whoa whoa whoa

for you to get thanksgiving, at some point you needed to have not oppressed a native peoples

• Options
    Edcrab wrote:
    Also I thought the Kill Bill films were monstrously overrated

Yuuuup.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Moriveth wrote:

Possums

you mean opossum

possums are from australia

Yeah, that one. Those things suck.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote:
    Janson wrote:
    Bucketman wrote:

whoa whoa whoa

for you to get thanksgiving, at some point you needed to have not oppressed a native peoples

So it's only fair if you start oppressing them after they help you out of a jam, right?