Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new one

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    I thought GTA V was already mentioned in the last thread. I still get angry at the "meh, GTA IV was bad/average/had issues" dismissals. Yes the friends stuff was annoying and, playing it again recently, I really hated how quickly they made you take that one woman out on a date as a tutorial for the friendships/dating stuff, and how it had to end in sex
    because she's an informant spying on you. And apparently people are cool with having sex with a wanted criminal under investigation because someone dear to them is in trouble or whatever.
    . So yeah, I think it has some issues, but it also did a great many things right. The atmosphere of the city is still absolutely incredible, for one.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    Yeah it's still a classic and a ton of fun to just do crime sprees in, turn on the cinema cam and see how far you can last running from the FBI.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    GTA IV took forever to get going

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    JCRooksJCRooks Registered User regular
    Sorry if I duped an article then. I've been busy at work/home, so no time to read through the forums much. It's always crazy this time of year. :)

Speaking of which, back to the craziness ...

Xbox LIVE, Steam, Twitter, etc. ...
    Gamertag: Rooks
    - Don't add me, I'm at/near the friend limit :)

Steam: JC_Rooks

Twitter: http://twitter.com/JiunweiC

I work on this: http://www.xbox.com
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    For me GTA suffered from "Why the fuck do I care?" issues with regards to the story. A passable shooting and driving system still despite their direct competitor in Saints Row doing better at that entirely. No interesting side activities to do that didn't feel like a really lame minigame. And a letdown of an ending.

The city was a pretty large new york city clone, but once the allure was off from that the actual game parts included left a whole lot to be desired. And again direct competition from SR2 which felt superior in just about every aspect I care about in an open world crime game.

4 felt lifeless, and humorless to me.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Allforce wrote:
    If you're expecting Captain America or Green Lantern on Netflix streaming the month it releases I don't know what to tell you, that's not really what the service is. It's catalog titles like Mad Max or Slapshot or Bullitt that you can watch whenever in HD without the commercials and editing that happens on cable.

To claim it's all SyFy ripoff made-for-tv stuff isn't genuine.

Also the Tower Heist thing was Comcast xfinity, not Netflix, and it's still a go as a trial. It's 70 bucks to rent it day of release in theaters, so like next Friday..

I don't think it's expecting new releases - but it's expecting old stuff that's actually good and not disappearing all the time. My son got hooked on Space Jam awhile back and the stupid movie would appear and disappear depending on the month (I think it was a Starz movie). We've tried finding Pokemon movies on their - none.

I thought it would be good to watch the first Batman flick - nope - only Forever is up. Same with X-Men - only the TV shows were there.

The issue is that there a lot of movies there, but finding the good stuff is a pain and searching usually leaves you frustrated. It can be really annoying to try to find a movie to watch - my wife and I usually end up searching for movies for 30 minutes, and then watching a streaming TV show instead.

All this has nothing to do with Netflix though and all to do with you, your wife's, and your sons personal preference. I mean I'd like to watch Thor tonight but I know it's not on there, and I'm not judging the entire worth of the service on that fact.

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Although having said that, gonna read Totilo's article about GTA V. Honestly, I'm wondering if the industry has moved on since then, and whether the series is as much of a juggernaut as it still was. I'm not saying it won't sell well and that if one platform didn't have it, they would be missing out (they absolutely would). But, I don't know, the fact that we got one thread about it on here some time after it came out, that's had only 33 replies? I know all we have is a logo and a trailer next week, but that kind of thing would've been enough to melt the forums down with about 5 threads all being made at the same time by excited people.

Or maybe I'm just getting too old for this.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    Remember leading up to gta4 launch we literally had zero gameplay footage? I found that phenomenal that they could keep it under wraps up until the game got leaked and YouTube vids started showing up online a few days before release.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Netflix Watch Instantly has Parks & Recreation, IT Crowd, 30 Rock, Better Off Ted, Arrested Development, Monk, Psych, lots of Star Trek, a bunch of cheesy kung fun flicks, several MST3K episodes, lots of anime, more than enough educational children's shows for the kids, and various random movies & shows. Add in free Hulu and I don't miss cable at all.

That's really the thing, yeah. I still live at home, but when I move out I'm gonna stick to Netflix, Hulu and an OTA Antenna. Between the three of those I can't imagine ever having a day with nothing to watch. Cable and Satelite can suck it, $16 a month is all I need to pay.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:
    Allforce wrote:
    If you're expecting Captain America or Green Lantern on Netflix streaming the month it releases I don't know what to tell you, that's not really what the service is. It's catalog titles like Mad Max or Slapshot or Bullitt that you can watch whenever in HD without the commercials and editing that happens on cable.

Also the Tower Heist thing was Comcast xfinity, not Netflix, and it's still a go as a trial. It's 70 bucks to rent it day of release in theaters, so like next Friday..

I don't think it's expecting new releases - but it's expecting old stuff that's actually good and not disappearing all the time. My son got hooked on Space Jam awhile back and the stupid movie would appear and disappear depending on the month (I think it was a Starz movie). We've tried finding Pokemon movies on their - none.

I thought it would be good to watch the first Batman flick - nope - only Forever is up. Same with X-Men - only the TV shows were there.

The issue is that there a lot of movies there, but finding the good stuff is a pain and searching usually leaves you frustrated. It can be really annoying to try to find a movie to watch - my wife and I usually end up searching for movies for 30 minutes, and then watching a streaming TV show instead.

All this has nothing to do with Netflix though and all to do with you, your wife's, and your sons personal preference. I mean I'd like to watch Thor tonight but I know it's not on there, and I'm not judging the entire worth of the service on that fact.

Applies to oranges. Thor is a brand new movie, I don't think anyone would expect that to be in a service like Netflix streaming. My comparison would be if you have a rental shop like Blockbuster, you have the racks and racks of new releases where movies stay probably 3-6 months post release. Those movies cost $6 to rent. I don't expect to get those flicks in my streaming service.

In the middle of the store are a ton of older movies for $2 rental - those are the movies that I would expect to have available to stream and in most cases they simply aren't there. I understand it's personal taste, but I think across the board that if you took a random sampling of people and had them search for their top 20 movies that were released more than three years ago, Netflix streaming would have a pretty low hit rate.

TV shows on the other hand would probably have a great success rate.

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Netflix did lose some subscribers, but they also had their highest quarter for revenue ever.

I was going to post this but you beat me to it.
    http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-10-24/netflix-3q-subscriber-losses-worse-than-forecast.html
    For the third quarter, Netflix reported net income rose 65 percent to $62.5 million, or $1.16 a share. Analysts projected 95 cents, the average of 25 estimates. Sales rose 49 percent to $821.8 million, beating expectations of $812.8 million.

They lost 800,000 users but still made more money.

I thought I had read that they were actually losing tons of money on shipping and handling costs for mailing DVDs all over the place, so canceled DVD subs equals more money.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Allforce wrote:

This is how my movie searching with the GF goes. We either play Russian roulette with an Indy film based on it's cover, a foreign film we've never heard of, or stream tv. Yeah I've seen some pretty cool movies I never would have if I didn't have Netflix, but If it wasn't for her kid always being able to find some cartoon to entertain himself, I'd probably be getting rid of it.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    slash000 wrote:
    Sorry missed the new thread just as I was posting in the other.... so anyway...
    Preacher wrote:
    shitty non-hdd texture pack footage of BF3

No need to go to the PS2 era, without it just looks like textures in Rage.

Seriously, I was thinking the exact same thing. BF3 w/out the high res textures looks bad - but in fact looks quite like Rage!

Also I'm just going to reiterate the point that the shitty-texture "option" is not an option -- they had to do this because it's a Microsoft rule that every 360 game has to be able to run without a hard drive for those 360 sku's that lack hard drives, and putting a note on the box that says "Requires hard drive" is not allowed by Microsoft (this is the general rule, though it might be supposed that MS could have made an exception).

Besides, do you think EA wants to miss out on potential non-hdd-owning Xbox 360 owner sales?

I think it's funny that Microsoft made an exception for Worldwide Soccer Manager 2006, but not for Battlefield 3.

The Curse of the Tard Pack claims yet another victim.

• Options
    So for BF3, if you have an Xbox that doesn't have a hard drive, you stuck with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for PS2 and another disk that is useless to you?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    So for BF3, if you have an Xbox that doesn't have a hard drive, you stuck with Tom Clancy's Rainbow Six for PS2 and another disk that is useless to you?

Worked for rage on the pc?

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    My friend played Rage on the PC and I thought it looked good... Or am I missing something?

• Options
    edited October 2011
    Today's troll article of the day brought to you by Cnet.
    Why portable console gaming needs to go away

Throw in the towel, Sony and Nintendo; it's game over. Portable console gaming no longer has a practical place in the current landscape of casual flick, drag, and swipe games. There is no room for the 3DSes and Vitas of the world when all-in-one functionality is now more important than high-tech, gaming-focused mobile systems.

Please don't read this like I'm saying smartphone and iPad games are better than those found on Nintendo and Sony's portables. They're not. They're just extremely accessible. Quite frankly, a lot of them are just plain awful. But that doesn't matter. There are enough affordable titles with flashy graphics and cute creatures to pacify anyone who's sitting in a waiting room for 25 minutes. Why would anyone carry around Brain Age if they can just play Sudoku for free on their iOS or Android device?

I consider myself a hard-core gamer. But when it comes to portable console gaming, I'm a dying breed. People don't want to carry around an extra device with them if they don't need to. It's not how we're being conditioned. Ask a 13-year-old if they would mind hauling around a separate device with its own proprietary charger and custom game cartridges. Then tell them it can't text or call anyone.

"But the iPad is an extra device." Sure it is. But it's also replacing the magazine, newspaper, comic book, and game system you'd otherwise be backpacking around. All-in-one is the ultimate goal, and try as they might, portable consoles just aren't cutting it.

So what should Nintendo and Sony do? First, recognize the fact that portable gaming is evolving more rapidly than a portable console's development phase. Next, keep quiet about the misery that is playing core games without physical buttons and license out preexisting software on universal platforms. It's not the most honorable of solutions, but at least money will be made without the gamble of producing hardware.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo would sell many more copies of Super Mario World on the App Store than it ever could in the 3DS Store.

Kind of had a realization, thinking about "dedicated gaming handhelds" vs. "all-in-one devices."

At this point, all that makes a device dedicated to gaming is the presence of buttons and a focus on horsepower.

And the primary thing that makes a device all-in-one is being able to make calls on standard cell networks and an app store that welcomes non-gaming utilities.

Why hasn't anyone really successfully done both yet? I wouldn't count the N-Gage because it wasn't successful and its buttons sucked, and I don't count the Xperia Play because it isn't successful and is just another phone at heart.

But what if the Vita could place standard calls, or what if the next iThing contains everything thus far plus buttons? Why hasn't this been done yet?

And what would the media call it? They keep referring to them as two separate entities that can never cross paths. I think it'd just blow too many minds.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    urahonky wrote:
    My friend played Rage on the PC and I thought it looked good... Or am I missing something?

The entire 40-50% of the PC market being unable to play Rage at anything approaching decent-looking because of their use of ATI/AMD video cards.

Have they fixed that yet?

MechMantis on
  • Options
    Two Headed BoyTwo Headed Boy Registered User regular
    They fixed ATI card issues the week it came out.

4hNKbHH.png
    Twitter 3DS: 0860 - 3257 - 2516
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

A limited edition collectible coaster is hardly useless.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Today's troll article of the day brought to you by Cnet.
    Why portable console gaming needs to go away

Throw in the towel, Sony and Nintendo; it's game over. Portable console gaming no longer has a practical place in the current landscape of casual flick, drag, and swipe games. There is no room for the 3DSes and Vitas of the world when all-in-one functionality is now more important than high-tech, gaming-focused mobile systems.

Please don't read this like I'm saying smartphone and iPad games are better than those found on Nintendo and Sony's portables. They're not. They're just extremely accessible. Quite frankly, a lot of them are just plain awful. But that doesn't matter. There are enough affordable titles with flashy graphics and cute creatures to pacify anyone who's sitting in a waiting room for 25 minutes. Why would anyone carry around Brain Age if they can just play Sudoku for free on their iOS or Android device?

I consider myself a hard-core gamer. But when it comes to portable console gaming, I'm a dying breed. People don't want to carry around an extra device with them if they don't need to. It's not how we're being conditioned. Ask a 13-year-old if they would mind hauling around a separate device with its own proprietary charger and custom game cartridges. Then tell them it can't text or call anyone.

"But the iPad is an extra device." Sure it is. But it's also replacing the magazine, newspaper, comic book, and game system you'd otherwise be backpacking around. All-in-one is the ultimate goal, and try as they might, portable consoles just aren't cutting it.

So what should Nintendo and Sony do? First, recognize the fact that portable gaming is evolving more rapidly than a portable console's development phase. Next, keep quiet about the misery that is playing core games without physical buttons and license out preexisting software on universal platforms. It's not the most honorable of solutions, but at least money will be made without the gamble of producing hardware.

I'm willing to bet Nintendo would sell many more copies of Super Mario World on the App Store than it ever could in the 3DS Store.

Kind of had a realization, thinking about "dedicated gaming handhelds" vs. "all-in-one devices."

At this point, all that makes a device dedicated to gaming is the presence of buttons and a focus on horsepower.

And the primary thing that makes a device all-in-one is being able to make calls on standard cell networks and an app store that welcomes non-gaming utilities.

Why hasn't anyone really successfully done both yet? I wouldn't count the N-Gage because it wasn't successful and its buttons sucked, and I don't count the Xperia Play because it isn't successful and is just another phone at heart.

But what if the Vita could place standard calls, or what if the next iThing contains everything thus far plus buttons? Why hasn't this been done yet?

And what would the media call it? They keep referring to them as two separate entities that can never cross paths. I think it'd just blow too many minds.

I think it's a combination of size and price. No one wants to carry a cell phone the size of the Vita or 3DS every day or be seen with a brick up to their ear. Also, when cell phones are purchased for $0-300 with two year contracts, adding another $100 or so more onto that for extra hardware to make them suitable for gaming could price them out.

My biggest concern about losing dedicated portable gaming equipment is kids. I want to give my kids a game system to play on when they get old enough. I don't trust them with my phone, and Nintendo systems in the past were bulletproof to kids. A glass-encased iPhone 4S or glass front iPod Touch or the many Android or WP7 phones out there are more likely to break when dropped or mashed in frustration.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    The major difference on handheld vs phone will always be the same - that children are a huge audience for handhelds (especially Nintendo). As a parent of a 7 year old, I don't want to have to set up an account on an online store to let him buy games (like an iPod Touch), I don't want to deal with going in and managing available storage space for him, and I especially don't want a monthly bill for service for him. I just want to pick up a Kirby game before a long trip and have him be able to play it immediately.

Nintendo can succeed with a handheld without making a single game aimed at core gamers. The younger set will buy Mario, Kirby and especially Pokemon in high enough quantities to make profit for Nintendo. The only issue they have this generation with that audience is not having that killer app that Nintendogs was last round.

A jack of all trades device would be interesting, but hard to truly profit off of I think.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    I'm sure this case is unique to me (I'm a special little snowflake!) but I just flat got burnt out on GTAIV. I dug the three previous ones, but had to give up on IV by the time I hit the second major section. I got annoyed by the "dating", and there was a lot about the game that was good but not great, but the story and game world was just awful. Within the first five minutes, we pretty much got this:

Niko: I have come to America hoping to escape my violent, dark past and begin anew.
    Some Guy He Just Met: Hey, wanna go be a thug and beat up mans?
    Niko: Woo hoo, sign me up!

...and it just continues on through what I played, Niko lamenting his past while continuing to ram shotguns up people's butts. The story tries to be meaningful but it just makes Niko look like a deluded hypocrite. And the sense of humor... gawd. Utterly juvenile, unsubtle and utterly lacking in creativity, and I say this as a guy who is extremely excited about Beavis and Butt-head's return this Thursday. It's the kind of crapola that you'll only like if you think an internet cafe named "Tw@t" is funny. I read the game's hellhole of an "internet" for two hours looking for funny, and I think that broke me.

Meanwhile I dug the crap out of Red Dead Redemption, and that's Grand Theft Horse on the surface.

At any rate, this exists:

mariokart7wheel_50207_screen.jpg

It's being made by Hori, but still. Geez.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    farbekriegfarbekrieg Registered User regular
    admittedly nico wasnt that great, but the ballad of gay tony was fantastic and the lost and damned was good.

im not quite as pumped for V as i was for IV, but i still look forward to see the video

• Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    They fixed ATI card issues the week it came out.

They certainly haven't, I've seen evidence of this as recent as Sunday.

Semi-fixed it, yes, but there's still the niggling problem of texture pop-in every time you turn around.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    GTA IV has been spared a lot of heat this gen by just how bad MGS 4 turned out.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options

?

• Options
    GTA IV was disappointing, took itself too seriously, was fairly low on actual content. MGS 4 was series ruining.

• Options
    The impression I get is that it wasn't bad, it just wasn't the holy shit awesome PS3 savior it was hyped up to be.

I own it but haven't cracked into it yet. I've about decided it'll be the very last thing I play this generation. :P

• Options

FFXIII is in a similar boat.

It's funny, a bunch of those biggest name games that everyone was looking forward to have been widely criticized this gen. Of course a lot of other games have done really well for themselves, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Red Dead etc.

When's Last Guardian coming out?

• Options
    MGS 4 was series ruining.

You keep making these statements without explaining what you mean...

MGS4 felt like another MGS game, and I enjoyed playing it. You didn't and that's fine, but how is it a series ruiner?

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I and I say this as a guy who is extremely excited about Beavis and Butt-head's return this Thursday.
    What what what?
    When did this happen?
    Kick ass!

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    The gameplay outside of the first two acts is flat, the bosses suck, the cutscenes are too long, the story is terrible, installing every act is a pain, eight million weapons and only four of them are worth using, stupid product placement everywhere, and the ending which retroactively makes other games worse for being related to this steaming pile.

Kojima had a vision with this game, but someone needed to tone it down some. It's the worst waste of potential in video game history.

• Options

FFXIII is in a similar boat.

It's funny, a bunch of those biggest name games that everyone was looking forward to have been widely criticized this gen. Of course a lot of other games have done really well for themselves, Dragon Age, Mass Effect, Red Dead etc.

Heh, good point. On top of the surprises you mentioned, who would have guessed that one of this gen's top new game series would be based on a superhero IP? I still can't believe how well Batman turned out.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    I got exactly what I was looking for out of MGS4. I don't think I would call it the best ever, but it sure as shit wasn't a series ruiner. I liked it a lot.

The Wolfman on
    "The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Incindium wrote:
    cloudeagle wrote:
    I and I say this as a guy who is extremely excited about Beavis and Butt-head's return this Thursday.
    What what what?
    When did this happen?
    Kick ass!

Ooooh yeah. And if this is anything to go by, they're still in top moronic form:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKKNBbBopoY&feature=player_embedded

Back on topic, you know that horrible, money-draining and embarrassing PSN hack? Turns out it was a good thing!
    Sony is now saying that the PSN breach that occurred earlier in the year has had a silver lining of sorts. The result of the breach actually did more to help the company than hurt it, insists Soichiro Saida, an executive within Sony.

"Our outage has woken up our dormant customers, we have improved the platform, the content, how you can access your content," he said to TechRadar.

"We have increased the revenue of games by 14 percent. We have acquired 800,000 active users for Music Unlimited, five percent revenue for Video Unlimited and we now have three million accounts for this service.

"We created the welcome back package, which is one of the reasons for the upsurge in activity on the site."

Of course, he also made sure to mention that the resulting breach has resolved into a massive overhaul in security for PSN and the PS3. There is more of a push by Sony to ensure that consumers are aware and educated about the new measures enacted to ensure consumer safety.

"We have put various security issues in place, moved the data center, automated log-in can now be blocked, we have monitoring system so we can detect it much sooner," Saida offered. "We also have the insurance scheme to protect those customers. We also notify customers if the password strength is not enough.

"Sony has been attacked but we have been upfront and honest and informed the world about what has happened.”

"Network companies get hacked all the time - but do they make a noise about it? This is happening all of the time, it happened to us and it is about educating the consumers, making sure that they have their ID protected."

http://www.industrygamers.com/news/psn-hacking-resulted-in-boost-of-activity-from-dormant-customers/

Upfront and honest? Didn't it take them weeks to finally acknowledge the problem?

• Options
    More upfront then Microsoft at this point which is seemingly facing a serious hacking scandal of their own.

• Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

Memorex already makes one of these, I saw it at Best Buy last month.

3dswheelbig.jpg

Problem being is that I don't think any of the existing racers on the 3DS support tilt steering, unless someone wants to correct me.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote:

Memorex already makes one of these, I saw it at Best Buy last month.

3dswheelbig.jpg

Problem being is that I don't think any of the existing racers on the 3DS support tilt steering, unless someone wants to correct me.

Racing games may not support tilt steering, but your adorable family photos clearly do!

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    More upfront then Microsoft at this point which is seemingly facing a serious hacking scandal of their own.

yeah, what the hell is going on there and why isn't it causing a lot more outrage then it is? I haven't even seen it mentioned on Joystiq.