Options

Video Game Industry Thread: November's done, post in the new one

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Ahhhh hahahaha!

Its like Codemasters just said "Fuck it... everyone knows we're only good for the Dirt series, just fuckin make another Dizzy game or something"

Also, I hate that game... the one time as kids my brother let me choose the game we got to rent... ugh. The game literally made me cry.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Doesn't Zero Punctuation love the Dizzy games?

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote:

Good people love the Dizzy games. I don't know, maybe it's just not for you Americans, like the original Office.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Hey, the original Office is really good.

The American version is simply magical. I haven't seen any episodes sans Steve Carrell yet though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    Hey, the original Office is really good.

The American version is simply magical. I haven't seen any episodes sans Steve Carrell yet though.

You're not from these rain-shrouded Isles, are you?

forumsig.png
  • Options
    I live in Freedom land!

• Options
    ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    Dashboard update.

http://www.oxmonline.com/xbox-live-dashboard-update-coming-december-6
    Xbox Live subscribers have been waiting for this year’s dashboard update for a little while now. With new features like integrated voice and gesture controls and cloud storage, the latest version of the 360’s operating system is shaping up to be the most impressive yet. Though a select few have been participating in a beta test of the new dashboard, the rest of us have been patiently awaiting its arrival. The good news is the wait is almost over. Xbox’s Major Nelson revealed today that the Xbox Live update would be happening on December 6.

I thought it was gonna be released this week.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

"We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    I think Obsidian should get another crack at Alpha Protocol. The game had some flaws, but it was still so good

That's right, I said it.

• Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    So, a mediocre modern military shooter with some okay-to-great characters and conversation wheel?

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I loved loved LOVED the NES Dizzy game. I'm hyped for a new one.

edit: Whoops I played the Genesis one.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I think Obsidian should get another crack at Alpha Protocol. The game had some flaws, but it was still so good

That's right, I said it.

Said what. Most people I've talked to are in the opinion that they really like certain parts of AP, they just really hated other parts(mostly the combat).

And it still managed to sell around 1mil I believe.

• Options
    Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Not one mention of TOR in that trailer (unless they're keeping it to released games.)

Hell, has there even been a commercial for it?

Al Baron on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    AutomaticzenAutomaticzen Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

That's right, I said it.

Alpha Protocol was a Frankenstein of equal parts awesome and shit.

It was a great idea with subpar execution. I still own the game, but I do think it could definitely be done better.

http://www.usgamer.net/
    http://www.gamesindustry.biz/
    I write about video games and stuff. It is fun. Sometimes.
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Welp, Namco finally nixed Tales Studio and folded it into the company proper.
    Namco Bandai hasn't given a reason for the closure, which will be finalized at the company's board meeting later in the month. However, Tales Studio has been facing financial strife for some time, with rumors of bankruptcy hovering throughout 2011. If anything, this move actually secures the series' future by assuring that the studio doesn't have to shut down due to financial problems.
    So, uh. . . DOOOOOOM? At least in the sense that we'll probably never get to see anything Tales-related outside of Japan in the foreseeable future?
    We barely do now.

Man, we've gotten every flagship Tales title in North America for years now. The fandom just likes to whine because we don't always get the re-releases and the shitty side-games. I expect Tales of Graces F to sell reasonably well here since Namco figured out that the JRPG fandom tends to own PS3s rather than Xboxen, and after that we'lll probably see an announcement for Xillia.

We didn't get OG Graces nor did we get Hearts, both Flagship games.

OK, so we've gotten every flagship game except Hearts. Seeing as OG Graces was apparently a buggy mess, I'm ok that they waited for the fixed version before exporting.

And Pink, while it's true I can't personally verify that most of the side Tales games are shitty, I have a few friends in Japan/who speak Japanese and like to import who assure me that this is true.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    fragglefartfragglefart Registered User regular
    Dizzy is coming back?

Holy nostalgia rush!

fragglefart.jpg
  • Options
    RamiRami Registered User regular
    Dizzy was a big part of my childhood on the Amiga, interested to see what they do with it.

• Options
    chocoboliciouschocobolicious Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Welp, Namco finally nixed Tales Studio and folded it into the company proper.
    Namco Bandai hasn't given a reason for the closure, which will be finalized at the company's board meeting later in the month. However, Tales Studio has been facing financial strife for some time, with rumors of bankruptcy hovering throughout 2011. If anything, this move actually secures the series' future by assuring that the studio doesn't have to shut down due to financial problems.
    So, uh. . . DOOOOOOM? At least in the sense that we'll probably never get to see anything Tales-related outside of Japan in the foreseeable future?
    We barely do now.

Man, we've gotten every flagship Tales title in North America for years now. The fandom just likes to whine because we don't always get the re-releases and the shitty side-games. I expect Tales of Graces F to sell reasonably well here since Namco figured out that the JRPG fandom tends to own PS3s rather than Xboxen, and after that we'lll probably see an announcement for Xillia.

We didn't get OG Graces nor did we get Hearts, both Flagship games.

OK, so we've gotten every flagship game except Hearts. Seeing as OG Graces was apparently a buggy mess, I'm ok that they waited for the fixed version before exporting.

And Pink, while it's true I can't personally verify that most of the side Tales games are shitty, I have a few friends in Japan/who speak Japanese and like to import who assure me that this is true.

You totally missed me stating Rebirth, Innocence, and Hearts, huh? Tsk.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Rami wrote:
    Dizzy was a big part of my childhood on the Amiga, interested to see what they do with it.

Apparently it's an iOS of Prince of the Yolkfolk.
    http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2011-11-22-new-dizzy-game-is-an-ios-port-report

I bet £10 to Child's Play earlier if it wasn't something for the iPad. I guess Codemasters hate charity.
    Lucky I decided to leave in a "sack of morons" clause, whereby I'll give £10 anyway.

forumsig.png
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    Graces Wii isn't exactly a mess; it's playable to be sure.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:

That's right, I said it.

Alpha Protocol was a Frankenstein of equal parts awesome and shit.

It was a great idea with subpar execution. I still own the game, but I do think it could definitely be done better.

They need to try the game with a different approach. Maybe a super-spy setting, kinda like a modern day Shadowrun. There was this RPG setting, Shadowforce Archer, that would be really cool to see in videogame form.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote:

That's right, I said it.

Although Deus Ex: HR was definitely the better designed and crafted game, I had more fun with Alpha Protocol.

• Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    Graces Wii isn't exactly a mess; it's playable to be sure.
    Yeah, bosses who just stand there are real challenging. And there were some crashes in the original release as well.

Honestly, after seeing how the studio has handled its recent games I wouldn't buy them at/near launch. Better to wait a while for the inevitable re-release that has the extras and content that was cut from the original.

Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru
  • Options
    SwashbucklerXXSwashbucklerXX Swashbucklin' Canuck Registered User regular
    OK, I'll amend myself, since I wasn't aware that some of those portable titles were considered "flagship." We've gotten Symphonia, Abyss, Legendia, Symphonia 2, Vesperia, and now Graces... by all accounts we've gotten the best of the series over the past decade... Symphonia, Abyss, and Vesperia, but all I ever hear from the self-professed fandom is gripes that we never get any Tales games and that Namco hates us. I've never seen a fandom that likes to gripe more about non-localized titles, and it's starting to burn my bacon.

Want to find me on a gaming service? I'm SwashbucklerXX everywhere.
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Yay shooties.
    The Call of Duty Elite launch wasn't the smoothest deployment in virtual military history, but that didn't stop the first-person shooter subscription service from enlisting more than a few good men.

Activision today announced that within six days of Elite's November 8 launch (which coincided with the multiplatform debut of Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3), the service had sold 1 million paid subscriptions. According to the publisher, it took high-profile subscription services like Netflix, Hulu Plus, Sirius XM, and Xbox Live a full year each to hit the 1 million paid mark.

However, Call of Duty Elite isn't strictly a paid service. Elite provides players with gameplay statistics, video sharing, and clan support features for free, but those who shell out for the $50 annual subscription will also receive all downloadable content released in the year, as well as exclusive video content and other perks. Combining the free tier with the paid subscribers, Activision reported more than 4 million Elite registrants to date. Put together, those members have formed 80,000 clans and uploaded more than 100,000 user videos to the service.

In addition to doling out new numbers, Activision has acknowledged a mistake with one of the numbers it announced shortly after the launch of Call of Duty Elite and Modern Warfare 3. Previously, the publisher claimed to have had 3.3 million simultaneous Modern Warfare 3 players on Xbox Live for the game's launch date. Last night it amended that figure, correcting it to 1.4 million simultaneous users. The 3.3 million figure was total players on day one, not concurrent players.

http://www.gamespot.com/news/call-of-duty-elite-hits-1-million-paid-users-6346484?tag=topstory;title

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    BTP wrote:
    Beltaine wrote:
    What about console games using the old shareware model?

You pick up the disc at a retailer for $5, come home and are able to play the first level/tutorial/whatever. If you want to unlock the game, you purchase the rest through the console (minus your inital $5).

Not a very good solution for non-internet connected consoles, but they could still have full version hard copies available.

I think this is what Project $10 will eventually become, or at least be attempted.

Does seem that way with the way some publishers are handling it. I'm a fan of the way EA handled it with Battlefield 3 since the Limited Edition codes also get you the first DLC free. And it isn't like the Limited Edition was actually limited.

But really shareware is basically what the PSN and Xbox Arcade games are. You play a short demo and if you like the game you buy the full version.
    Shareware used to offer a whole lot of game for being free though. You literally got 1/3rd of Doom's levels (Later 1/4th when they released another episode in Ultimate Doom). That's 9 out of 27 levels. On a good day that's probably a decent 3 hours of gameplay if you're new to the game. Not to mention replayability with that large of a chunk of the game. Shit I must have sunk well over 30 hours into Doom shareware before I finally purchased the full game.

XBLA trials feel much more limited. Often only offering a level or two, and rarely more than a half hour of gameplay. I know I shouldn't be complaining about free, but talking about shareware just reminds me of a simpler time where I could spend fucking ages playing what amounts to a game's DEMO!

• Options
    SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Man, don't get people's hopes up like that. It's probably just going to be mass effect without space :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Sheep wrote:

Yahtzee has jokingly suggested that one of the Dizzy games is the greatest game ever made. He later retracted that statement as stupid for another joke, but it wouldn't surprise me if he did like them, or at least did back when they were new(er) releases.

His actual top 5 (at least from videos, I have no idea how it stands now) includes things like Portal, Silent Hill 2 and Prince of Persia: Sands of Time.

... I may or may not have about 200 of the ZP videos on my phone for killing time when I'm bored. :oops:

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    Man, the Vita has like the best 1st Party launch lineup in the west ever. EU list (NA will probably be similar):

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    WipEout 2048
    Reality Fighters
    Little Deviants
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip
    Everybody’s Golf
    Escape Plan
    Gravity Rush
    Hustle Kings
    MotorStorm RC (buy Vita/PS3, get the other free)
    Top Darts
    Super StarDust Delta

3rd Party launch titles have yet to be confirmed.

// Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    StericaSterica Yes Registered User, Moderator mod
    Yeah I know Yahtzee mentioned Dizzy a bunch, but it always seemed like a joke to me.

I wouldn't have been surprised if he never even played it.

YL9WnCY.png
  • Options
    Spoit wrote:
    Man, don't get people's hopes up like that. It's probably just going to be mass effect without space :P

Time-traveling RPG?

That preview made think Bad Company 3.

XBL - ArchSilversmith

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Petermolydeux twitter account has been suspended. Sad times for the games industry.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Man, the Vita has like the best 1st Party launch lineup in the west ever. EU list (NA will probably be similar):

Uncharted: Golden Abyss
    WipEout 2048
    Reality Fighters
    Little Deviants
    ModNation Racers: Road Trip
    Everybody’s Golf
    Escape Plan
    Gravity Rush
    Hustle Kings
    MotorStorm RC (buy Vita/PS3, get the other free)
    Top Darts
    Super StarDust Delta

3rd Party launch titles have yet to be confirmed.

No kidding. Gravity Rush is my #1 most wanted game at the moment on any system and there's a lot of quality elsewhere on that list as well.

• Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'll admit, I'm impressed that Uncharted made it into the Vita launch line-up. And yes, Sony specified it'll be out day and date with the machine. Let's just hope that it's as good as the God of War PSP games and not as meh as the Ratchet and Clank PSP games.
    Adda wrote:
    Petermolydeux twitter account has been suspended. Sad times for the games industry.

vadernooooo.jpg

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    How the hell do you get a Twitter account suspended???

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    How the hell do you get a Twitter account suspended???

^^^ seriously

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    #1 get hacked and spam people
    #2 i have no idea??

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    Pretty sure that you can make complaints about parody accounts and that's likely what has happened here.

steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    Even then its not even close to the person's real name. You can get in trouble for squatting and defaming.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Nah, Peter was just mining that account for ideas and now wants to dispose of the evidence.