As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

• HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mary Marvel?

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Mary Marvel?
    What the fuck ever.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    All white women look the same to me too.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    All women look the same.

Fixt

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DharmaBumDharmaBum Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So is Hulk always the Hulk these days? Does he ever revert back to Banner anymore? And if he doesn't, why doesn't he and what's going on with Banner is he locked away in Hulk's mind somewhere?

DharmaBum on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DharmaBum wrote: »
    So is Hulk always the Hulk these days? Does he ever revert back to Banner anymore? And if he doesn't, why doesn't he and what's going on with Banner is he locked away in Hulk's mind somewhere?

Basically they can flip back and forth at will if they feel like it. It seems that the Hulk is the more dominant however, so unless he was weak and Banner really wanted to get out, the Hulk can retain control as long as he wants.

And at least during the prologue, if something does manage to totally incapacitate or drain the Hulk he will revert to Banner, but that certainly may have changed with the warp breach, etc.

EclecticGroove on
    edited June 2007
    So is the Hulk a completely diffrent personality? Sorta like Banner has a split personality? I always was under the impression that it was just the manifestation of his "dark side" or whatever.

When was the last time Hulk reverted to Banner? He was Hulk for all of Planet Hulk wasn't he?

DharmaBum on
  • AAAAAARGGGHHHHAAAAAARGGGHHHH Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    So is the Hulk a completely diffrent personality? Sorta like Banner has a split personality? I always was under the impression that it was just the manifestation of his "dark side" or whatever.

When was the last time Hulk reverted to Banner? He was Hulk for all of Planet Hulk wasn't he?

He reverts to Banner twice (3 times?) during the Planet Hulk storyline.

Once accidentally, after being continuously fed on by the advanced Spikes, and a second willing transformation during the wedding ceremony to his alien space wife.

I remember a scene where Banner and the Hulk fight for control and Banner briefly wins, reverting to human form, but after rereading the Planet Hulk issues I couldn't find it. So I'm not sure if there was another time besides those two.

Also, Banner is the poster child for multiple-personality disorder in the Marvel Universe. It's revealed in one of the runs before Planet Hulk that the Hulk personality existed well before the gamma bomb blast. We're talking when Banner was in high school.

AAAAAARGGGHHHH on
    edited June 2007
    So does that mean that the Hulk and Banner are completely at odds with each other? You'd think that they could get a lot more accomplished than constantly fighting for controll.

DharmaBum on
  • EclecticGrooveEclecticGroove Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

As was mentioned the last time he reverted to banner was when he willingly showed both sides of himself to his wife.

Banner and all of the various Hulks are all seperate facets of the same person. It's not that the Hulk is his dark side, it's that all of his personalities, Banner included, are facest of his mind resulting from his childhood abuse/trauma and everything that's come after. The savage Green Hulk was his childhood rage and anger that he bottled up, the Grey Hulk was his persona he wanted to be in school but could not be, the Maestro was an incarnation molded from his perception of his father, the Devil Hulk is the personification of his guilt.. etc etc etc.

All of these, and any combination of them, are simply manifest in different ways as time goes on.. to be shaped, changed, and influenced by what's happened to them. There really is no "banner" and "Hulk", they are the same person, it's just the Banner personality is the one that is the most dominant and entrenched, and therefor is always vying for control, even when there may (temporarily) be a stronger personality that exists (Like the current Hulk persona).

EclecticGroove on
  • BalefuegoBalefuego Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The impression was that Banner ceded control to The Hulk during the Planet Hulk arc because he knew that was the only way to survive, and right now clearly Hulk is too angry/mad for Banner to assert himself again. Although its up in the air wether he would want to because I doubt Bruce is happy with the Illuminati either.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    Theres actually a Guilt Hulk I think. Devil Hulk is his dick side. The one that wants to smush puppies.

DarkWarrior on
  • augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    The Hulk is very complicated.

august on
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Gamma Corps sounds awesome in theory, but in reality, they're going to get their faces smashed in faster than you can say "Hulk".

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
    edited June 2007
    august wrote: »
    The Hulk is very complicated.

Yea no shit. Woulda been much easier to just say. Banner has a split personality. One is Banner, and one is Hulk.

The Gray/Devil/Green ect. All smacks of complete bullshit to me. Trying to add facets to a character that just doesn't need them. He's big, he's Green, and he's fucking strong as all hell. That's all you need to know (at least in my opinion).

If all of the diffrent forms were stripped away I think some pretty good stories are in there. (Excluding WWH, and Planet Hulk which for all intensive purposes seem to be pretty good, I don't read singles so I haven't read either story yet.)

DharmaBum on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    It'd be great if the Hulk's surprise curevball to fuck everyone up is that he's so mad that all of his personalities are in agreement that they need to kill Tony and Reed. So he ends up using things like the Grey Hulk and Meastro's sneakiness and dirty fighting along with Bruce's brains to pull something crazy out of nowhere.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • core tacticcore tactic Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jesus Christ, you can't help but feel sorry for the member of the Gamma Corps who has The Leader's powers. He's fugly as hell and his head is like 3 feet tall.

core tactic on
    6700ab2ed7bb6f9876150c388a78a011.png
  • SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Reynolds wrote: »
    It'd be great if the Hulk's surprise curevball to fuck everyone up is that he's so mad that all of his personalities are in agreement that they need to kill Tony and Reed. So he ends up using things like the Grey Hulk and Meastro's sneakiness and dirty fighting along with Bruce's brains to pull something crazy out of nowhere.
    Isn't that basically what his current personality is like right now, I.E a (not perfect) combination of all Bruces personalities?

Silpheed on
  • ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    They already done 'perfect' combined Hulk. I'm thinking more that the savage Hulk is in control, but all the others are piping up in the background with advice or something.

Reynolds on
    uyvfOQy.png
  • HtownHtown Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

He reverts to Banner twice (3 times?) during the Planet Hulk storyline.

Once accidentally, after being continuously fed on by the advanced Spikes, and a second willing transformation during the wedding ceremony to his alien space wife.

I remember a scene where Banner and the Hulk fight for control and Banner briefly wins, reverting to human form, but after rereading the Planet Hulk issues I couldn't find it. So I'm not sure if there was another time besides those two.

I think it was in the Hulk Annual or something. It was a collection of stories; I think it was that one and maybe the original Mastermind Excello story or something.

Banner was in control roughly long enough to say "I won!" and then the Hulk immediately took control again.

Htown on
    steam_sig.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Giant-Sized Hulk #1 was what the story was in.

Was the Ghost Rider WWH issue any good?

DarkPrimus on
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited June 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »

The next one is the one where shit goes down.

Fencingsax on
    edited June 2007
    Is Banner still at odds with the Hulk side of his personality? Like is he still actively fighting to gain controll?

DharmaBum on
    edited June 2007
    Is Banner still at odds with the Hulk side of his personality? Like is he still actively fighting to gain controll?

He didn't seem all that bothered when he was tonguing that hot alien.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
    edited June 2007

That's what I'm talking about. Has he finally just given over to what the Hulk is, and sort of accepted it? Is it to the point where he can sort of just transform when he wants to? I mean obviously when Banner get's ticked he's gunna transform, but when he's just sort of at a base-line level of angry-ness can he sort of turn into the Hulk when he pleases?

Also in that Cho vs. Reed thing. Who is more right. I mean clearly Reed's a total asshole. But it Cho completely right in saying that the only times that the Hulk has gone on a rampage is when he was provoked by the "heroes?"

DharmaBum on
  • The Muffin ManThe Muffin Man Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Jen had it pretty spot-on. The Champions were wrong because they thought the Hulk was a monster and nothing more. Cho is wrong now in seeing Hulk as a hero, and nothing more.

The Muffin Man on
  • JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited June 2007

That's what I'm talking about. Has he finally just given over to what the Hulk is, and sort of accepted it? Is it to the point where he can sort of just transform when he wants to? I mean obviously when Banner get's ticked he's gunna transform, but when he's just sort of at a base-line level of angry-ness can he sort of turn into the Hulk when he pleases?

Also in that Cho vs. Reed thing. Who is more right. I mean clearly Reed's a total asshole. But it Cho completely right in saying that the only times that the Hulk has gone on a rampage is when he was provoked by the "heroes?"

Not always, but the examples Reed chose to point out, were ones that happened because Heroes/villains tried to make use of him.

We have to remember Cho hero-worships the Hulk, Im sure Hulk has had one rampage or two that were unprovoked, but those that Reed tried to use as a reason why the Hulk is dangerous werent one of them.

Cho hasnt done bad shit in Civil War, nor saved Galactus and Doom, and has a pretty clean slate, hasnt killed anyone so far. But he´s still a manipulative one.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    lol "one rampage or two"

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Balefuego wrote: »
    lol "one rampage or two"

lol "selective quoting", try reading again-

We have to remember Cho hero-worships the Hulk, Im sure Hulk has had one rampage or two that were unprovoked, but those that Reed tried to use as a reason why the Hulk is dangerous werent one of them.

EDIT- On a different topic, WFT?
    22524010tc5.jpg

Please tell me Marvel retconned this.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    "Saved Galactus or Doom."

Pretty sure that letting a force of nature that, once it stops existing, brings about a far worse being isn't exactly evil.
    Neither is saving someone despite their attempts to kill you.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007
    I don't know why I'm bothering.

JCM sounds like the type of person who thinks that 9/11 was perpetrated by the Illuminati(the "real" ones, not the super heroes) who also had JFK shot because he was planning to speak out against their black magicks to corrupt the world, and that their legacy goes on for ages and that's what the witch hunts were for.

The Muffin Man on
    edited June 2007
    yeah pokemon kid, whatever... seeing all my opinions are based on something I can debate and posts scans of, no need to apply yor cooky theories of JFK on me. Heck, I dont give a shit why he killed, nor about Sept11, as long as that shit stays away from where I live.

I live by facts, not pokemons and off-topic posts whining about a poster.
    "Saved Galactus or Doom."

Pretty sure that letting a force of nature that, once it stops existing, brings about a far worse being isn't exactly evil.
    Neither is saving someone despite their attempts to kill you.

*snips sad trolling*

*yawns*

Do I need to keep reposting the same post over and over?
    JCM wrote: »
    He might be an essential froce a few years later when Franklin Richards nearly destroys him, but at the time reed saved him, thats wasnt the reason-

Reed just felt he could not let another being die.
    000op2705it3.jpg

And like most of Reed´s self-important ideas, it just happens that years later, a writer makes it into something good. Like his concentrartion campo for heroes, which now serves as a prision for villains. But it doesnt change the fact that Reed saved a guy who went on to murder trillions, just because he couldnt let someone die.

- Now, this Reed is also the one who lied to Ben for 10 years saying that there was a cure, so he could use ben as a guinea pig.
    - The same Reed that EVERY other time he invades some dimension, the earth gets attacked and many die, and yet he still keeps doing it, without caring for the world.
    - The same reed that cut the Hulk up against his will in the name of science.
    - The same Reed that has let his son, a force that is more destructive than the Hulk, alive and well, and overlooks Iron man´s uncountable crimes, yet thinks himself worthy to send Hulk to space (although he did put his son in a comma once)
    - The same Reed that took a Doom that had accepted his place in Hell and let him out, ending up with Reed having to kill te Thing, and Doom, after knowing that he COULD get out, fighting his way out (with the help of mjolnir)
    -The same Reed, that even though he has one of the worst records in sending rockets to the right place, still thinks that Hulk´s rocket will arrive where he wants it to.
    -The same Reed that put a bomb strong enough to nearly destroy a planet inside that rocket.
    -Lets add helping Tony set up the control thingy for letting villains free (Thunderbolts), creating a concentration camp for heroes (Spiderman:CW) and creating Clor without an off switch (Civil War)

As much as the Hulk has destroyed through rage, Reed has destroyed more though curiosity.
    And like the Hulk destroys thinking he is right to punish puny humans who wont leave him alone, Reed does things thinking that he is right to risk the fate of the human race for a simple scientific discovery or two.

But hey, if ad hominems helps you sleep well at night in mommy´s basement, good luck to you.
    And before making imaginary facts kid, my life is bare for all to see, sadly I cant say that about an off-topic troll with a pokemon avatar.

JCM on
    edited June 2007
    No JCM, I read that bolded part too, and its still lol worthy.

I mean I am mostly on Hulk's side but seriously, you are fuckin crazy.

Balefuego on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    edited June 2007
    Well, Ive got the Essential Hulk, most of the Peter david run and the Gery Hulk saga, and I can only find one instance where he rampaged unprovoked by people.

Care to enlighten me with some issues, so that I may add to my collection?

JCM on
  • CharcoalNinjaCharcoalNinja Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crazy or no not one of you have bothered to... you know... prove him wrong. So until you actually feel like doing so, he's got one hell of a point.

CharcoalNinja on
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

But is it any good?

DarkPrimus on
  • BlankspaceBlankspace __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2007
    [
    22524010tc5.jg

Please tell me Marvel retconned this.
    Uh, no. That was early Stark Armor, and Danny's Iron Fist is definitely strong enough to damage his armor.

Blankspace on
    SIG.gif
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    But hey, if ad hominems helps you sleep well at night in mommy´s basement, good luck to you.
    'Pokemon kid' is somehow a more refined insult?

Wildcat on
    edited June 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »

But is it any good?
    I liked it. Johnny shows the demon who's boss. Also, I'm glad that other people are beginning to notice JCM's crazy.

Fencingsax on
  • SentrySentry Registered User regular
    edited June 2007
    Crazy or no not one of you have bothered to... you know... prove him wrong. So until you actually feel like doing so, he's got one hell of a point.

Agreed... you can hate his posting style, or consider him fairly abrasive, but at least he backs up what he says... stop treating him like he's Terrorbyte.

Sentry on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    wrote:
    When I was a little kid, I always pretended I was the hero,' Skip said.
    'Fuck yeah, me too. What little kid ever pretended to be part of the lynch-mob?'
This discussion has been closed.