As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

World War Hulk Thread: Don't Be Fucking Ninnies

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    UFOff wrote: »
    You just know if there wasn't a Ghost Rider movie out right now they wouldn't even bother wasting the ink to draw him fighting the Hulk.

That may be, but as long as they actually square off, I don't care. I hope Hulk gets Penance Stared into oblivion.

Now, why would Hulk be affected by the Penance Stare? After all, he united a planet and brought down a tyrant, and now he's on a mission to exact revenge on friends who betrayed him. If anything, Ghosty should be going around giving the Illuminati the evil eye.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Didn't he kill some folks?

august on
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    At my theater Ghost Rider's already gone. I doubt the comic will bring in any extra movie money, or vice versa.

Scooter on
  • Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    edited March 2007
    Well, Ghost Rider was number 1 at the box office two weeks in a row, and is still doing decent business overall for a movie in its fourth week of release

DJ Eebs on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    august wrote: »

When, accidentally while fighting for his life against government cronies or something?

I don't know why you think collateral damage is something he should feel guilt over- Hulk just wanted to be left alone.

Of course, it's too late for that, now.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    DaMoonRulzDaMoonRulz Mare ImbriumRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Actually Ghost Rider already gave Dr. Strange the Laaaaaaaazy eye. I mean Penance Stare.

DaMoonRulz on
    3basnids3lf9.jpg

• Options
    UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    august wrote: »

When, accidentally while fighting for his life against government cronies or something?

I don't know why you think collateral damage is something he should feel guilt over- Hulk just wanted to be left alone.

Of course, it's too late for that, now.

Well, I'd feel bad if I knocked over a building while fighting the Abomination. :oops:

But yeah, I was a fan of the Ketch Ghost Rider a few years back and coming out of the movie, I couldn't help but wonder what would happen if Ghostie fought the Hulk.

The Penance Stare thing actually dovetails nicely out of that whole Bendis/Slott argument about whether Hulk has killed people (accidentally or not). Knowing Marvel, they'll probably just say that Banner and Hulk are 2 different people and Hulk feels no remorse while Banner bla bla bla.

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Options
    mattharvestmattharvest Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You just know if there wasn't a Ghost Rider movie out right now they wouldn't even bother wasting the ink to draw him fighting the Hulk.

That may be, but as long as they actually square off, I don't care. I hope Hulk gets Penance Stared into oblivion.

Now, why would Hulk be affected by the Penance Stare? After all, he united a planet and brought down a tyrant, and now he's on a mission to exact revenge on friends who betrayed him. If anything, Ghosty should be going around giving the Illuminati the evil eye.

Hundreds of death over the years due to his mindless rampaging. End of sentence.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The great thing about Hulk is that it doesn't matter if he's in the right or the wrong, because he has but one response to anything confrontational.

And if you're not down with that I've got two words for ya:

Hulk Smash.

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    HooraydiationHooraydiation Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Would the Penance Stare work on a dog?

How about one of those monkeys that know sign language?

I'd argue that Hulk isn't really in control of his actions, so how could he be held accountable for them.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    The Penance Stare has the potential to be awesome, but the fact that it requires eye contact (as if it's some sort of hypnosis rather than rays of plain old mystical WTF) means that over the years it hasn't worked on eyeless beasties, a few machines and otherworldly cosmic entities.

I'd guess that the Stare could work on Hulk, but the response would probably be along the lines of "Hulk cause so much sadness and destruction! That makes Hulk really godawfully mad raarghh." Then again, didn't Ghost Rider freak out when he tried it on Venom? Split-personalities have resistance too, eh?

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Venom actually had two personalities, though. Hulk is just a different part of Banner.

Another possibility is that the Penance Stare might just make Hulk stronger as it fuels his self-hatred which, I think, is ultimately the primary source of his rage.

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    EdcrabEdcrab Actually a hack Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Another possibility is that the Penance Stare might just make Hulk stronger as it fuels his self-hatred which, I think, is ultimately the primary source of his rage.

Heh, aye, that'd be a nicely ironic twist. If Hulk's eyes were fully opened to all the discord he'd caused directly or indirectly over the years, he could probably sucker-punch the likes of Darkseid.

Through Eternity. And into the Source Wall.

Edcrab on
    cBY55.gifbmJsl.png
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    More like Big Bang 2. Which means we won't get a new issue of WWH for a few trillion years (insert "Late comic jokes" after this post)

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    The great thing about Hulk is that it doesn't matter if he's in the right or the wrong, because he has but one response to anything confrontational.

And if you're not down with that I've got two words for ya:

Hulk Smash.

Hulk is Captain America?

mattharvest on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm starting to think that Mattharvest is a bot that exsists simply to argue about CW.

*looks at the thread* Hmmm, it says Hulk Smash World: The World War Hulk Thread.

How vague.

Why not go back to the best of the week thread to... oh it's locked.

Matt it's time to focus your power and create your own thread!

Caveman Paws on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    I'm starting to think that Mattharvest is a bot that exsists simply to argue about CW.

*looks at the thread* Hmmm, it says Hulk Smash World: The World War Hulk Thread.

How vague.

Why not go back to the best of the week thread to... oh it's locked.

Matt it's time to focus your power and create your own thread!

The 'm' isn't capitalized. Not a big deal, but a lot of people seem to be cutting it as if my name is "Matt".

Here, I was making a little joke. Apparently a very little one. However, like all jokes it has a kernel of truth: both Hulk and Rogers seem to think that force is a good tool for making their arguments. More pragmatically, WWH is clearly and inextricably tied to CW, for what I think are obvious reasons.

BTW, if you check, I didn't start it in the other thread, but I'm not going to threadjack this thread to defend myself in another thread.

mattharvest on
  • Options
    Peeps ChickenPeeps Chicken Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    All superheroes seem to think that force is a good tool for making their arguments.

I think it's a little more accurate with my edit.

Peeps Chicken on
  • Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Edcrab wrote: »
    The Penance Stare has the potential to be awesome, but the fact that it requires eye contact (as if it's some sort of hypnosis rather than rays of plain old mystical WTF) means that over the years it hasn't worked on eyeless beasties, a few machines and otherworldly cosmic entities.

I'd guess that the Stare could work on Hulk, but the response would probably be along the lines of "Hulk cause so much sadness and destruction! That makes Hulk really godawfully mad raarghh." Then again, didn't Ghost Rider freak out when he tried it on Venom? Split-personalities have resistance too, eh?

I can't find the (really) old issue it happened in, but Ghost Rider freaked because "this costume. It is alien. Re-acting to the Penance Stare in an unknown way. It-" And then his head blew up. I suppose something similar could happen if it tried to affect the Hulk.

Whatever the case, I'll be looking forwards to their fight, when it comes.

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I don't know if he even has a penance stare anymore of Ennis re-re-retconed him.

august on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    1) Just a guess on Ghost Rider and the Costume... the Symbiote is like insanely fricking evil. I don't know that it comprehends guilt. That may be the issue there.

2) Honestly, I hope Ghost Rider fights him to a more or less equal point, and then realizes that Hulk is in the right, and just lets him pass, watching him jump off in to the distance before hopping back on to his bike. Say his Penance Stare has no effect because Hulk's rage is so incredibly pure and justified or something, such that the spirit of vengeance is at peace, because the Hulk is taking up that mantle for the moment.

It would just be cool to have Ghost Rider say something like, "You are innocent, and you are righteous." to the Hulk.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I just wanna see Dan and Noble. Those two were Ghost Rider when I started reading Marvel properlly. I want Marvel to tell me why Johnny looks like Noble now when he changes and can use the Penance Stare. And damnit, I want them to give him his shotgun back. Johnny running around with a fireball shotgun is what made me dig him in the first place.

Owenashi on
  • Options
    siliconenhancedsiliconenhanced __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    When I was younger, I had a comic book called "Spirits of Vengeance/Venom" that was a crossover between Johnny Blaze, Ghost Rider, and Venom. I have been unable to find any proof that it existed.

Does anyone know what the fuck I'm going on about, and if so, can you tell me how it ended?

siliconenhanced on
  • Options
    DeicistDeicist Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    You'll be wanting 'Spirits of venom'. A TPB which collects Web of spider-man 95 & 96 and Ghost Rider/Blaze:Spirits of Vengeance 5 & 6.

Deicist on
  • Options
    UFOffUFOff Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Incenjucar wrote: »
    1) Just a guess on Ghost Rider and the Costume... the Symbiote is like insanely fricking evil. I don't know that it comprehends guilt. That may be the issue there.

2) Honestly, I hope Ghost Rider fights him to a more or less equal point, and then realizes that Hulk is in the right, and just lets him pass, watching him jump off in to the distance before hopping back on to his bike. Say his Penance Stare has no effect because Hulk's rage is so incredibly pure and justified or something, such that the spirit of vengeance is at peace, because the Hulk is taking up that mantle for the moment.

It would just be cool to have Ghost Rider say something like, "You are innocent, and you are righteous." to the Hulk.

Wow, that's actually really good. Damn, this is the problem with the internets; if this isn't the way it goes down, it'll be a dissapointment.

UFOff on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]...yeah
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    How come everyone is saying Hulk is in the right?

Violence is never the answer!

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ENERjAKzeroENERjAKzero Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

In comics it is.

ENERjAKzero on
    eZEROBanner.gif

Petey+Blanco.gif
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited March 2007

Mainly because the people he's going after have been dicks throughout Civil War (well, mainly just Reed and Tony), so it'll be nice to see them get their comeuppance.

Munch on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Munch wrote: »

Mainly because the people he's going after have been dicks throughout Civil War (well, mainly just Reed and Tony), so it'll be nice to see them get their comeuppance.

I still wanna see him tear Mr. Fantastic in half, literally, but I don't think anyone's going to be joining up with the HUlk beyond any of the alien cronies he brings with him (assuming they're still alive in that series).

Hooraydiation on
    Home-1.jpg
  • Options
    ben0207ben0207 Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    It's Hulk, he doesn't need help.

ben0207 on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I am nub at marvel comics, but after civil war they have started to intrigue me. If I want to get up to date on the hulks exiling and his alien planet romp, where should I start reading?

Vic on
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Vic wrote: »
    I am nub at marvel comics, but after civil war they have started to intrigue me. If I want to get up to date on the hulks exiling and his alien planet romp, where should I start reading?

Planet Hulk trade is out June 20th, according to Amazon.

It is excellent. You will only regret buying it if you hate fun.

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    JCMJCM Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    World War Hulk? I prefer to call it, Civil War: Namor was right

tnai01021fr3.jpg

JCM on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh? I thought Strange was on Hulk's side and against sending him nito space.

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Huh? I thought Strange was on Hulk's side and against sending him nito space.

Nope, Strange thought he might be able to find a sense of satisfaction there and worried about what would happen to him on earth.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Wow, that's actually really good. Damn, this is the problem with the internets; if this isn't the way it goes down, it'll be a dissapointment.

It's really too bad that Ghost Rider doesn't have a very sturdy following.

He's really about the perfect guy to be involved in this whole affair.

Hulk can beat the hell out of everyone, sure.

But Ghost Rider can make sure that they know EXACTLY how horrible they were.

I would love for him to get ahold of Tony Stark after Hulk breaks every bone in his body.

--

Then again, I'd also love to see Hulk getting the Ghost Rider treatment.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    dcleedclee Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    We know that Hercules will be joining up with Hulk because of past debts owed to the Hulk or something. Or at least it said something like that according to the wikipedia article on Hercules. And I remember there was as cover that showed Hulk surrounded by about 4 other heroes, though besides Hercules I forget who was there. I think Black Widow too...

dclee on
  • Options
    HeatwaveHeatwave Come, now, and walk the path of explosions with me!Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    I wouldn't be so sure on Hercules helping out the Hulk. As seen in a panel in Civil War, Herc smashed She-Hulk out of his way during a battle. That kinda shit tends to cause bad blood.

Hercules: "HULK, old friend, I WILL help you in YOUR quest to fuck up Stark AND the Illuminati."
    Hulk: "Really? I thought you'd wanna protect them?"
    Hercules: "NOT anymore, my shirtless wonder. They were BASTARDS in the Civil War. Tried to lock everyone UP in the negative zone...and shit."
    Hulk: "Well, at least you had my cousin's help, right?"
    Hercules: "ACTUALLY, she was on their side, so I had to SLAP your lovely cousin in the bosom. No hard feelings, right?"
    *BAM!*

Heatwave on
    P2n5r3l.jpg
    Steam / Origin & Wii U: Heatwave111 / FC: 4227-1965-3206 / Battle.net: Heatwave#11356
  • Options
    edited March 2007
    Heatwave wrote: »
    I wouldn't be so sure on Hercules helping out the Hulk. As seen in a panel in Civil War, Herc smashed She-Hulk out of his way during a battle. That kinda shit tends to cause bad blood.

Hercules: "HULK, old friend, I WILL help you in YOUR quest to fuck up Stark AND the Illuminati."
    Hulk: "Really? I thought you'd wanna protect them?"
    Hercules: "NOT anymore, my shirtless wonder. They were BASTARDS in the Civil War. Tried to lock everyone UP in the negative zone...and shit."
    Hulk: "Well, at least you had my cousin's help, right?"
    Hercules: "ACTUALLY, she was on their side, so I had to SLAP your lovely cousin in the bosom. No hard feelings, right?"

Hulk: "High five!"

DarkPrimus on
  • Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited March 2007
    Vic wrote: »

Planet Hulk trade is out June 20th, according to Amazon.

It is excellent. You will only regret buying it if you hate fun.

Fun?! Bah, humbug!

Your words make no sense to me. Planet.. Hulk Tra-de? I thought the Hulk was exiled ages ago, and that I would have like a hundred magazines to read up on.

*reads up on amazon*

Ah, it is a hardcover collection of previous issues. Sounds good.

Vic on
This discussion has been closed.