Options

Obscure DS rpgs

• Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    Bullio wrote:
    There's an awesome hack 'n slash RPG called Soma Bringer that's the closest we're likely to get to portable Diablo. It's a Japan-only release, but there is an English translation done by fans.

Actually the GBA Lord of the Rings movie license games are the closest we've been to portable Diablo, trust me. :) And now upcoming on the 3DS, Heroes of Ruin looks pretty close to modern Diablo-style games like Torchlight.
    jothki wrote:
    Hmm, I might have to check out Suidoken, at least.

You don't need to have played previous Suikoden games to understand it, in case that matters. In fact that's one reason it's kind of spurned by Suikoden fans, it's a new universe.

But yeah, I was impressed by what it accomplished on the DS for its time. Quite long with good looking prerendered backgrounds, polygonal battle system, decent music, voice acting spread throughout, anime cutscenes, it's like a full console game. And it's not all presentation, the story's enjoyable too, at least it was for me.

@UncleSporky, any advice on getting in to the GBA LotR game? I remember I started as Gandalf and the whole thing felt so awkward I just got distracted and haven't touched it since. Is there a better starting character (/skills?)?

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Fucking hell, this thread reminded me I bought Infinite Space day one, stuck it in my DS carrying case and my carrying case promptly vanished. I still have the game's case sitting on my shelf, but I didn't even get to put it in my system!

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    It was a very long time ago when I played that game, mahnmut, but I'm almost positive I started with a melee fighter. but I also remember dying a lot.

it did satisfy the loot and grind urge though. shiny items and such.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Mahnmut wrote:
    @UncleSporky, any advice on getting in to the GBA LotR game? I remember I started as Gandalf and the whole thing felt so awkward I just got distracted and haven't touched it since. Is there a better starting character (/skills?)?

Gandalf is awkward to start with, I think. Being a wizard he really relies on getting certain skills (spells) pumped up early and used as your primary method of fighting.

Gimli is probably one of the best starting characters because he's tough and straightforward and he has a passive skill that lets him find more gems and magic items, which you can then give to other characters' save files through those ent stump things. Makes the whole game a little easier, just go farm up some high quality items from your endgame Gimli to kit out your other characters. :)

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    Nobody mentioned Glory of Heracles yet?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hv9PUIdmgSs

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    BigDes wrote:
    Infinite Space is an amazing game

You get a spaceship

Man, Infinite Space. I completely forgot about this game, and I really wanted to play it. But... I'm not paying $50 for it.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    ThemadcowThemadcow Registered User regular
    It's about time Altus got busy making EO4 for the 3DS. You'd think that 3D visuals and dungeon crawling were a perfect match, but we're still waiting... (probably forever in my case, seeing as the UK didn't get EO2/EO3 and the 3DS is region locked).

• Options
    House of PaincakesHouse of Paincakes Spokane, WARegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Lufia: Curse of the Sinistrals is a pretty good action-RPG. It's essentially a remake of Lufia II: Rise of the Sinstrals which was a highly regarded (but not that well known) turn-based RPG for the SNES.

Although I would have preferred a remake more faithful of the original game, I still had a lot of fun.

For those curious, here are my complaints:
    -No capsule monsters (one of my favorite things about the original)
    -You can only play as one character at a time but can switch between characters at will. Each character has unique skills you need to progress through the levels/puzzles. I had assumed you had a party fighting alongside your character and was so bummed when I got my second character and realized that wasn't the case. In the end, it didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.
    -Overall, the game seems much shorter than the original and they changed some stuff (for those who played the original, see spoiler):
    My big beef is that the story progresses WAY too fast in the first part, so you get to the part where Maxim and Selan defeat Gades and proclaim their love for each other as they think they are going to die. I remember the original game having enough game time before this point to make it believable, but here it felt like they just met and BAM love.

Also, I didn't like how Tia stuck around with the party. I understand they spent the time to create this character and her attack animations, etc. but it felt more right to have her leave the party for good in the original when she realized that her and Maxim wouldn't be together.

Now, the good things:
    +Despite my above story complaints, the story is still enjoyable and the characters are fleshed out pretty well. Memorable ending too IMO.
    +Combat is still fun even though you only have one character.
    +I think I remember the puzzles being pretty good. They are not nearly as difficult as they were in the original, but have enough challenge to make you think a bit.
    +You do need to switch between characters fairly often to make use of their unique skills, which keeps things interesting.
    +There seems to be some cool stuff to do in New Game+ (didn't do this myself but have heard)

I understand some purists have a problem with this remake for a number of reasons (such as those I listed), but I personally played through the original at least twice (maybe three times) and still really enjoyed this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghHnOBKF_rw

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Contact is a weird game. It has a lot of brilliant ideas on the table, but ends way before they could be fully fleshed out. You can tell that the developers were rushed. I still recommend it, though, because there are few games like it. Also, for those of you who have not finished it, it has the best ending of any game I have ever beaten. You should definitely finish it up. It's not very long.

For what it's worth, if I could wish for any game to be made, I'd wish for a Contact 2.

Jurg on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    Contact was freaking annoying to play at times.

• Options
    JurgJurg In a TeacupRegistered User regular
    What weapon type did you use? I used fists and smashed the shit out of everything, which went way better than the times I tried to use blunt weapons, and slightly better than the time I used swords.

sig.gif
  • Options
    eobeteobet 8-bit childhood SwedenRegistered User regular
    Catshade wrote:

Wow, the animation is really nice... but is the game any good? I must investigate!

Heard the proposition that RIAA and MPAA should join forces and form "Music And Film Industry Association"?
  • Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    My big beef is that the story progresses WAY too fast in the first part, so you get to the part where Maxim and Selan defeat Gades and proclaim their love for each other as they think they are going to die. I remember the original game having enough game time before this point to make it believable, but here it felt like they just met and BAM love.

Also, I didn't like how Tia stuck around with the party. I understand they spent the time to create this character and her attack animations, etc. but it felt more right to have her leave the party for good in the original when she realized that her and Maxim wouldn't be together.

I can assure you that this is Nostalgia blinding you. Even in the original it was like an hour from meeting Selan till Maxim *magically* falling in love.

I never really liked that scene or the Tia/Maxim/Selan Love Triangle. The only thing I got out of that is seeing Maxim as a dick and made me question why the devs even included the Mia charachter considering her only purpose seems to be to get dumped (It kinda seems like the writer or someone inserting some personal issue).

I still love the rest of the game and the cast, but that whole thing still annoys me and keeps me from replaying

C2B on
  • Options
    edited January 2012
    C2B wrote:

I can assure you that this is Nostalgia blinding you. Even in the original it was like an hour from meeting Selan till Maxim *magically* falling in love.

I never really liked that scene or the Tia/Maxim/Selan Love Triangle. The only thing I got out of that is seeing Maxim as a dick and made me question why the devs even included the Mia charachter considering her only purpose seems to be to get dumped (It kinda seems like the writer or someone inserting some personal issue).

I still love the rest of the game and the cast, but that whole thing still annoys me and keeps me from replaying

More Lufia story stuff:
    I was pretty young when I first played Lufia II so you're probably right. The love triangle thing never really bothered me that much but I can see why it might bother others. I remember it being over pretty quick in the original game though.

Despite the whole Maxim/Selan love thing being fast, I still like the idea of them getting married, having a kid, etc. mid-game, but maybe they should have stretched out the first part of the story a bit more to make it more believable. I'm so used to the RPG cliche of "unlikely, young, brash hero saves the day" that it was nice to change it up a bit. Having defeated Gades, they're already recognized heroes at that point in the game who have moved on with their lives. With the new threat, now they're trying to save the world for their child. It makes the stakes seem higher and especially makes the ending more poignant.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    eobet wrote:
    Catshade wrote:

Wow, the animation is really nice... but is the game any good? I must investigate!

It's...ok.

The main thing going for it is that it bombed so hard that it is incredibly cheap.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    eobet wrote:
    Catshade wrote:

-snip-

It's...ok.

The main thing going for it is that it bombed so hard that it is incredibly cheap.

I read a couple reviews for it that basically boiled down to, "You should give it a chance because it's trying REALLY hard to be a good game!"

• Options
    Ov3rchargeOv3rcharge R.I.P. Mass Effect You were dead to me for yearsRegistered User regular
    So I'm think about Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, anyone here play it?

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Anyone able to give me a good reason to go back to Radiant Historia? I kinda got to the part where shit got real and sort of lost interest due to not really feeling the cast, plus the difficulty kinda ratcheted up a notch and I didn't wanna find myself grinding so I took a break and never really went back.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png
  • Options
    ConstrictorConstrictor The Dork Knight SuburbialandRegistered User regular
    Ov3rcharge wrote:
    So I'm think about Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume, anyone here play it?

I played it and enjoyed it but be warned it can be difficult, especially at the end.

• Options
    I was pretty young when I first played Lufia II so you're probably right. The love triangle thing never really bothered me that much but I can see why it might bother others. I remember it being over pretty quick in the original game though.

Despite the whole Maxim/Selan love thing being fast, I still like the idea of them getting married, having a kid, etc. mid-game, but maybe they should have stretched out the first part of the story a bit more to make it more believable. I'm so used to the RPG cliche of "unlikely, young, brash hero saves the day" that it was nice to change it up a bit. Having defeated Gades, they're already recognized heroes at that point in the game who have moved on with their lives. With the new threat, now they're trying to save the world for their child. It makes the stakes seem higher and especially makes the ending more poignant.
    I liked the idea too (As everything else in the game). It's just the pacing that was flawed there.

P.S To sum my previous (Tia) point up: The problem wasn't even that he had a childhood friend who had a crush on him. Its that her charachter solely was based on the Maxim crush and only seemed to exist to get ignored by him.

• Options
    joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    Is suikoden for the DS worth an two hour total drive?

• Options
    edited January 2012
    C2B wrote:

I liked the idea too (As everything else in the game). It's just the pacing that was flawed there.

P.S To sum my previous (Tia) point up: The problem wasn't even that he had a childhood friend who had a crush on him. Its that her charachter solely was based on the Maxim crush and only seemed to exist to get ignored by him.

Yeah, I can see your issue. Did you play the remake? They did do one thing different with Tia that was interesting:
    Her and Dekar end up together. It adds a bit more depth to the Dekar sacrifice scene (at least, I think they're "together" at that point in the game). He still ends up alive in the end though, as in the original game.

Not sure if that makes you feel better about the inclusion of Tia but it at least gives her more of a purpose in the game.

Now that I think about it, I believe the main reason the remake felt so much shorter was that they cut out the overworld entirely. You just jump from dungeon to dungeon which I think makes the game feel like it's on fast-forward sometimes.

House of Paincakes on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    eobet wrote:
    Catshade wrote:

-snip-

It's...ok.

I read a couple reviews for it that basically boiled down to, "You should give it a chance because it's trying REALLY hard to be a good game!"

What I personally liked about the combat system is that when you Overkill enemies, you get some mana back (or something, it's been a while). So you're sort of encouraged to really pull out all the stops to put the enemy down hard.

• Options
    Yeah, I can see your issue. Did you play the remake? They did do one thing different with Tia that was interesting:

No, I didn't. Will check it out down the line.

• Options
    TayaTaya Registered User regular
    Try Rune Factory 3. The first two are good too, but there's no reason not to skip straight to the best one. It takes the concept of Harvest Moon (own a farm, grow crops, raise animals, attend festivals, make friends, get married) and adds dungeons, monsters, magic, equipment crafting, and other RPG elements.

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Catshade wrote:

it wasn't particularly well received and no one really knew why they ported that game specifically

• Options
    edited January 2012
    Because it's a long standing series in Japan (this is actually the 6th game) that is quite popular over there and they thought they might have another Fire Emblem situation on their hands.

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    joshgotro wrote:

• Options
    chocojoshchocojosh Registered User regular
    Any decent RPGs in the last three months or so? All the DS news seems catered towards the 3DS. I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawlers (own EO 1/2/3, SMT: Strange Journey, and The Dark Spire).

• Options
    joshgotro wrote:
    joshgotro wrote:
    Is the drive the only cost, are you buying it new, are you buying it used? Even knowing that, I don't think anyone could tell you. It depends on how much you like video games.

Some people will say that no game is worth a two hour drive, others will say that most games are.

But this particular game I liked a lot. I'd drive at least an hour for it, I guess.

• Options
    CatshadeCatshade Registered User regular
    chocojosh wrote:
    Any decent RPGs in the last three months or so? All the DS news seems catered towards the 3DS. I'm a huge fan of dungeon crawlers (own EO 1/2/3, SMT: Strange Journey, and The Dark Spire).

There's SMT: Devil Survivor 2 coming up on Feb 28th.

• Options
    Gaming-FreakGaming-Freak Registered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Chrono Trigger DS. What? No one else thought of the awesome remake?

EDIT: Oh wait. "Obscure"... umm SMT: Devil Survivor?

Gaming-Freak on
    jagobannerpic.jpg
    XBL: GamingFreak5514
    PSN: GamingFreak1234
  • Options
    DritzDritz CanadaRegistered User regular
    Shen wrote:
    Anyone able to give me a good reason to go back to Radiant Historia? I kinda got to the part where shit got real and sort of lost interest due to not really feeling the cast, plus the difficulty kinda ratcheted up a notch and I didn't wanna find myself grinding so I took a break and never really went back.

You've gotta be doing something wrong. Radiant Historia is a lot of things (awesome for one) but difficult isn't one of them until you get to end game stuff. Just pile guys on top of each other and go to town.

There I was, 3DS: 2621-2671-9899 (Ekera), Wii U: LostCrescendo
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2012
    Suikoden for DS is a $20 game. You can buy that online have it delivered to you. That is not an economical 2 hour drive.

Street price for infinite space has dropped into the $25-30 range.

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    Suikoden for DS is a $20 game. You can buy that online have it delivered to you. That is not an economical 2 hour drive.

Suikoden Tierkreis no where near $20.
    http://www.google.com/#q=suikoden+tierkreis&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=BywgT7HmIMjt0gHx1q0G&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6bc7aa2f04e6ee34&biw=1280&bih=665

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    Dritz wrote:
    Shen wrote:

You've gotta be doing something wrong. Radiant Historia is a lot of things (awesome for one) but difficult isn't one of them until you get to end game stuff. Just pile guys on top of each other and go to town.

It also happens to have possibly the most badass protagonist on the DS. Such a gem of a title. You should never have to grind. That tends to mean you're just not capitalizing on your team's movement skills enough.

• Options
    I broke down and walked into Gamestop and picked up their cartridge-only copy of Infinite Space for $24.99. I mean, I have everything but the cartridge at home, so...

Anyway, just an hour in, and I really like how different it is from anything else.

• Options
    DoctorArchDoctorArch Curmudgeon Registered User regular
    joshgotro wrote:

Suikoden Tierkreis no where near $20.
    http://www.google.com/#q=suikoden+tierkreis&hl=en&prmd=imvns&source=lnms&tbm=shop&ei=BywgT7HmIMjt0gHx1q0G&sa=X&oi=mode_link&ct=mode&cd=6&sqi=2&ved=0CBgQ_AUoBQ&bav=on.2,or.r_gc.r_pw.,cf.osb&fp=6bc7aa2f04e6ee34&biw=1280&bih=665

Ebay is a better gauge of what the current market value for Suikoden Tierkreis is. Based on an ebay search (link) it looks like it has a sales price between 15 and 30 dollars for the US/NTSC game/case/manual.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6732-9515-9697
  • Options
    EvilRedEyeEvilRedEye Registered User regular
    I'd second Solatorobo (if you've not already heard of it). Unlike a lot of obscurish things it's playable and unfussy, and motivates you to play 'til completion.

I wish Ghostlight would release Radiant Historia in the UK. Guess I'll have to import.

Gone.
  • Options
    RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Come on, really, no Tingle RPG love? Did anyone else play this game?

RenegadeDrizzt on