Options

Obscure DS rpgs

124»

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote:
    Dritz wrote:
    Shen wrote:
    Anyone able to give me a good reason to go back to Radiant Historia? I kinda got to the part where shit got real and sort of lost interest due to not really feeling the cast, plus the difficulty kinda ratcheted up a notch and I didn't wanna find myself grinding so I took a break and never really went back.

You've gotta be doing something wrong. Radiant Historia is a lot of things (awesome for one) but difficult isn't one of them until you get to end game stuff. Just pile guys on top of each other and go to town.

It also happens to have possibly the most badass protagonist on the DS. Such a gem of a title. You should never have to grind. That tends to mean you're just not capitalizing on your team's movement skills enough.

or not using aht and her traps

• Options
    RenegadeDrizztRenegadeDrizzt Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Jars wrote:
    Artereis wrote:
    Dritz wrote:
    Shen wrote:
    Anyone able to give me a good reason to go back to Radiant Historia? I kinda got to the part where shit got real and sort of lost interest due to not really feeling the cast, plus the difficulty kinda ratcheted up a notch and I didn't wanna find myself grinding so I took a break and never really went back.

You've gotta be doing something wrong. Radiant Historia is a lot of things (awesome for one) but difficult isn't one of them until you get to end game stuff. Just pile guys on top of each other and go to town.

It also happens to have possibly the most badass protagonist on the DS. Such a gem of a title. You should never have to grind. That tends to mean you're just not capitalizing on your team's movement skills enough.

or not using aht and her traps
    Exactly. Movement skills and traps are the most effective way to completing a battle in short order. One of the reasons I enjoyed Radiant Historia so much is that the gameplay and story flowed so well, grinding was almost never necessary.

Traps are your friends in a difficult battle -- and make sure you're thinking through each turn as opposed to rushing into a battle without a game plan. Playing strategically means better XP after battles, too.

Edit: Also, does anyone here play Tin Pin Slammer anymore? I wanna get my slam on.

RenegadeDrizzt on
  • Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I think it's kind of funny that Left Assault and Right Assault come several levels apart. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to apply you knowledge of knocking guys left to knocking them right :lol:

captaink on
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    edited February 2012
    captaink wrote:
    I think it's kind of funny that Left Assault and Right Assault come several levels apart. You'd think it wouldn't be that hard to apply you knowledge of knocking guys left to knocking them right :lol:

"But... I'm right-handed! Hitting people in the other direction is a completely different skillset!"

What bothered me more is that "left" and "right" were relative to the character, and equaled "down" and "up" to the player. For everyone's sake, it would have been easier to name the attacks according to what they actually did in the game.

Bursar on
    GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    edited February 2012

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=axeMdMQHGwU

The Dark Spire - A great old school first person RPG that I recently finished. Reminiscent of early editions of Dungeons and Dragons in some ways. Enjoyably archaic design in terms of stats, classes, puzzles, maps...on the fly, you can switch between modern presentation and old school DOS/C64 style graphics and sound, and both styles are well done. You will probably need a guide or a lot of outside help, but I really enjoyed it regardless.

Man the Dark Spire looks amazing. I will have to pick that up when I finally get around to buying either a DS or a 3DS.

Uselesswarrior on
    Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • Options
    TDawgTDawg Registered User regular
    Come on, really, no Tingle RPG love? Did anyone else play this game?

Years ago, when I was on a highschool choir trip to the Czech Republic, Austria and Germany, I saw a copy of this game in an airport shop. I was strongly tempted to buy it, but as it was the beginning of my trip I knew that 1) I would need to be reasonably conservative with my limited funds, 2) Airport shops are all kinds of Too Expensive, and 3) I had just bought The World Ends With You and would have my gaming set for the rest of the summer, so I couldn't see when I would even get the chance to play it. Not to mention, I was with friends and I was a horribly impressionable high school student. I didn't buy the game.

It is still one of my biggest regrets in life.

NNID: ohnoTom || 3DS: 1762-3198-2019 || Steam || Take My Good Pokemon
    Let's Plays of Japanese Games
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    How's the Sakura Taisen Rouge-Type game?

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Shen wrote:

Did you get past the sewer level? If you did then at least you probably finished the worst part because I hope that is the worst part.

• Options
    FrosteeyFrosteey Elaise 1521-2945-8940Registered User regular
    Taya wrote:
    Try Rune Factory 3. The first two are good too, but there's no reason not to skip straight to the best one. It takes the concept of Harvest Moon (own a farm, grow crops, raise animals, attend festivals, make friends, get married) and adds dungeons, monsters, magic, equipment crafting, and other RPG elements.

This is the one game I would pick! There's even like fifty stats! Magic was even kind of a fun option.

If I had to pick a second game, I don't know, Summon Night Twin Age? I played it for maybe 30 minutes and have no recollections of the game, so there couldn't have been anything too bad about it.

Distant third place honorable mention is Luminous Arc 2. The story is potentially offensively bad but the gameplay doesn't seem like it would be worse than generic. Overall the game probably can't be worse than -2/10.

• Options
    SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    Summon Night Twin Age was alright, I didn't think it was as good as the GBA games, but still ok.

Luminous Arc series...hah. As strategy RPGs go they're fairly easy, but still kinda fun. The story is pretty bleh.

• Options
    ShenShen Registered User regular
    Frosteey wrote:
    Shen wrote:

Did you get past the sewer level? If you did then at least you probably finished the worst part because I hope that is the worst part.
    I got to the bit where you've got that dude in the red armour and you'r'e trying to break back into the city to prevent the horned guys' village from being wiped out? Random encounters suddenly started smacking the shit out of me.

So far the protag is... I like his attitude, but he's not really interesting? It's like playing a story about a pretty cool regular guy.

3DS: 2234-8122-8398 | Battle.net (EU): Ladi#2485
    ladi.png