As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Call of Cthulhu - IC] Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    "I'll go wherever you boys want to go, but I'd suggest we get you somewhere safe and secure while the dust settles. If you need anything from your hotel rooms, I can go get it for you if you give me your room keys."

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

Henri Emmanuel Gratien St Pierre in Where No Man Has Gone Before

Lord Augustus Cumberbatch in Eclipse Phase
  • Options
    rucdocrucdoc Crazy guy in the corner ClassifiedRegistered User regular
    Mathew cracks a smile. "My room is probably being watched by now, anyone goes in, they will probably get grabbed. I have not been a good boy recently. However I would like to get some disinfectant on my arm sooner rather than later."

Original Creepy Janitor

http://www.dust514stats.com
  • Options
    PeffPeff Registered User regular
    "Easy enough once we get the rest of my equipment, we can look over the patch but I'm sure Todt handled it." Looking up, "I don't know that anyone would come looking for us at the hotel. As far as we're aware, no one knows who we are yet...we'll except for Matt. If you're insisting though, it may draw less attention if we check out properly and move to a different location after that."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    PsychoLarry1PsychoLarry1 Registered User regular
    The Jeep pulls up to the hotel as the sun sets. For just a moment, the sky shifts to a queer mix of green, orange, and blue that sends chills down Mathew and Javier's bodies. There is no sign of any of the suits or the blue station wagon.

• Options
    CayrusCayrus Consul Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears!Registered User regular
    Nathan pulls the Jeep up into a secluded spot and looks around for anyone that may be watching them.
    Spot Hidden (1d100=53) vs 75, success

"Alright, we're here. Do you want to check out or just have me go get your stuff?"

Former Secret Service Agent Nathaniel Ford in Call of Cthulhu: Whispers in the Darkness

• Options
    "Well it might be best if we just checked out, people already know Matt is here so if it somehow gets out we were involved with the fire it might be best to just disappear. Any objections?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "How will they connect us to the fire? They don't know what happened in there, for all anyone knows we could've been roughed up by muggers or something."

• Options
    "Whatever floats your boats, gentlemen. I'll be here keeping watch. You never know when some maniac with a gun is going to appear out of nowhere."

• Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    "Okay, I will go in and do all ze talking and check us out, since I do not look like I just came out on ze wrong end of a fight with a butcher's knife. I'll need one or two ozers to carry ze luggage or steer ze carts or whatever. Let's go in and get out as fast as possible, in case zere are any suits waiting for us. If zere are, please don't be initiating anything until I give ze word, or zey take ze offensive." Guy opens the door and prepares to step out. "Anything else before we start, gentlemen?"

• Options
    Javier's mind was clearly elsewhere at the moment "Uh...yeah, let's get this over with. I'll come carry luggage for you." He falls in line with Guy.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Yeah, I should probably hit my room, that computer isn't cheap." Mathew said as he got out of the jeep.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Captain MarcusCaptain Marcus now arrives the hour of actionRegistered User regular
    "I still think this is rubbish. One house burns down, we're not connected to it, and suddenly we're all paranoid about our hotel. I liked this hotel! I'm staying in the car."

• Options
    [Captain Marcus and Cayrus]
    You keep a sharp eye out on the parking lot and surrounding area, but nothing particularly suspicious stands out. As the other investigators trudge wearily into the hotel, the Jeep's car phone begins to ring.
    [Rucdoc]
    You break off from the other two and head to your spare room. The cleaning staff has been through, making the bed and moving the envelope to the bedside table, finger, disk and all. The computer is still churning away on the database, and the heat has far outpaced the room's air conditioning. A small framed window sits at the corner of your computer screen, listing a phone number.
    [Peff and El Skid]
    As you walk past the reception desk, one of the staff calls out to you. "Sirs! This package arrived for you, the courier said it was quite urgent!" He holds up a nondescript package about a foot wide and wrapped in brown paper.

• Options
    Mathew grabs a piece of paper and pen and writes down the number. then begins packing his computer as fast as possible. Once done he grabs the rest of his things, leaving the envelope, the disk, and the finger in the room.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Nathan picks up the phone.

"This is Ford."

• Options
    Looking at Guy and then back to the package "Thanks...did the courier mention who it was from? How long has it been here?"

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    Guy shrugs and grabs the package, putting it under his arm. Nodding at the receptionist, he hands him a few dollars for his trouble.

El Skid on
  • Options
    [Cayrus]
    "This won't take long, Agent Ford. My name is Jameson Codburn, regional Director for EON operations. The men you've been placed with have already committed a number of felonies while performing some sort of wild goose chase. We believe they are placing the company into a very precarious situation, and require you to maintain a close watch over them. For the time being, we will not countermand your previous order as personal security liason, but it is in the company's best interests, and your own professional ones, that you keep me up to date on their activities.
    [Peff and El Skid]
    "I'm sorry sir, I really don't know." The employee takes Guy's tip and gives him a slight bow. The pair of you return to your room and begin to pack as quickly as you can.

• Options
    Javier's eyes wander to the package while packing. Once done, he looks up from his bag and nervously says "Guy...should be open that? I mean given our luck with packages it might not be a good idea but its honestly making me crazy."

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Guy smiled. He was content to wait to open it, but at Javier's suggestion he methodically opened it such that he would hopefully be able to make it looked like it hadn't been opened yet.

• Options
    "Understood, sir."

As Nathan hung up the phone, he glanced over at Todt.

"Just the boss checking in, you know how management gets sometimes."

He shifted slightly in his seat. "You guys never did tell me how you got into that... predicament."

• Options
    Having gotten all his things Mathew walked out of his room, then down the stairs and out thru the back door, before heading towards the parking lot.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    "Oh, certainly. Let me begin from the beginning. We're a team of "fixers" who have been tasked with finding a Dr. Jeremiah Morgan, an employee of EON. He recently became ill after a heart transplant and while he was at the hospital he escaped. We think he might have kidnapped a little girl in the process too. We've got to track him down because he works with sensitive Company secrets and if he babbles to the media our stock price will hit rock bottom.

Anyways, when we got here and were talking to authorities in the hospital Matthew went to talk to our colleagues at the Sorocco Regional Headquarters. Apparently a Dr. Noun Samphan, an outsider, has taken over a majority of the facility and no one there can be trusted. I doubt EON is aware of this. It's worth making a few phone calls to National Headquarters. They told us that we would be getting help from Regional, but all we've gotten is threats.

Dr. Morgan received his heart from an unknown donor. I'm not sure if you're aware of this, but that's extremely illegal. We visited the local organ bank, and while the director there was helpful at first, my colleagues made some idiotic threats for no reason and he quickly clammed up. I yelled at them outside for that- I'm sure you know that politeness and not being a nuisance works wonders, yes?

The director told us that the files were erased by a Dr. Appleton, the local coroner. We visited his house to ask him some questions. There was a dead body submerged in acid in the tub, clear evidence of foul play in the kitchen, and when we entered the basement we found Appleton."

Todt swallows and looks uncomfortable.

"Or rather, he...it... found us. He was dead. But he was still alive, because locomotion and the ability to cut a hunk out of Dr. Cubillo with a rusty knife implies vitality. But there wasn't anything in his eyes anymore and when we shot him black liquid came out. It took a lot of bullets to... to....."

Todt trails away, then straightens and coughs.

"Ahem. Sorry. We set the house on fire, because we certainly didn't want the police finding that thing in the basement with our fingerprints everywhere. Then you came and rescued us.

As far as clues go, we've got some goo from Appleton and the information of a dead organ donor we found in his basement. Oh, I forgot to tell you- Guy slept with a young reporter and when he woke up she had overdosed on some sort of weird cocaine. He called us, we stabilized her and got her to a hospital, but we do have a sample of both her vomit and the cocaine itself.

I suggest we find lab space for rent. Dr. Cubillo and I need to analyze these samples, and the rest of you can go investigate the dead organ donor or call up National Headquarters to find out what to do about Regional."

• Options
    "I see..."

Nathan mentally lists off the crimes the team has probably committed so far: breaking and entering, three murders including Appelton, arson to cover their tracks, and attempted murder of a young woman.

And this guy expects me to believe there's some vast conspiracy stemming from regional hq? And I might have believed it too if it weren't this guy's crazy stories. Really, Appelton was a zombie? I need to contact Director Codburn asap.

"It sounds like you boys have had quite a couple days. I think our first priority will be to find a place to lay low and figure out a plan. I'm not sure where you're going to be able to find lab space. I'd suggest the local EON office but you seems to be at odds with them."

• Options
    "The local EON office sent Matthew a finger. We're staying the hell away from them. Lab space should be easy enough to find. We don't need that much special equipment. I suppose we could look in the Yellow Pages."

• Options
    [El Skid and Peff]
    Nestled within the small package, nestled amongst a pile of newspapers is a toe from a human foot, and two molars, still red from where the root was removed from the gum. As you lift the paper to better see the contents, a small puff of powder drifts up from the box. Guy hears a soft whisper in his ears saying something in a harsh and guttural tongue. The world turns a hue of green and orange that you have never before encountered before the ceiling falls away and he's staring into a gaping oval maw. It is ringed with jagged, rotten teeth and the tendril of tongue in the center writhes with some type of black larvae. From one of the hundreds of oozing abscesses he sees the figure of a man lifting himself up and out before stumbling into the forest of teeth. Then it's gone and there is only the vastness of space framing thousands of pale lights.
    Guy loses 2 sanity and gains 2 Cthulhu Mythos
    Javier sees Guy open the box and breath in sharply. His eyes glaze over for a moment and he wanders over to the window and falls to his knees. A thin stream of blood drips from his ears.

• Options
    Noting Guys reaction "Hey...are you alright? What's in the box?" After noting the blood coming from his ear "Jesus!" Javier grabs Guy by the shoulder "Sit on the bed, let me grab kit."

Tossing one of the pieces aside, Javier grabs his medical case and begins examining Guy.
    First aid check on Guy after opening box. (1d100=97) vs 60. Fail! Gotta love bombing those rolls.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "Do whatever you guys need to do. I'm just the muscle."

Nathan looked around the parking lot. "I wonder what's taking those guys so long?"

• Options
    Guy shook his head gently, as though recovering from a hard right hook to the jaw. Feeling something wet on the side of his head, he reached back and looked at the blood on his finger. "Okay, that was really freaky. I'm really careful about what I eat, but it seems like someone slipped something in my feed- that was really tripping, but not in a good way..."

• Options
    Guy casually shrugs away Javier's hand, which was ineffectually daubing at the trickle of blood. As he slowly comes out of his haze, he and Javier return to the business of packing the team's belongings and checking out. They are joined in the lobby by Mathew, who is hauling a full cart of boxed electronics. The three of you converge on the jeep and unload your gear into the back. It's a tight fit, but you all manage to cram into the vehicle and head down the road.

You eventually settle on the Desert Rest Inn, as nondescript a motel as you're likely to find on the outskirts of southern Albuquerque. Guy hands the sullen clerk $50 and the group is given two adjacent rooms in the back of the complex, hidden from the road. You all unpack just enough to bunk down for the night.

• Options
    "That's too much of a day for me, gents. I'm crashing." Javier dropped his bag near a bed and lays down. "We can wait 'til morning for anything else" as he turns over and fluffs up the pillow.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    "I'm going to make sure the gear is secure in the jeep. I'll be back in a bit. Don't worry about saving me a bed, I'll crash on the floor."

Nathan heads outside and away from the hotel, looking for a payphone with which to call EON HQ and report in. He glances over his shoulder to make sure none of the team are following him. He tries to stay in the shadows to avoid detection.
    Spot Hidden vs 75 (1d100=37) to find a payphone.
    Spot Hidden vs 75 (1d100=100)to make sure I wasn't followed.
    Sneak vs 30 (1d100=30) to do the above without being seen.

• Options
    With his eyes set firmly on his feet, Nathan stumbles his way through the shadows around the motel, bumping into a family that is loading itself into a nearby room. After loudly shutting himself into the nearest phone booth, he fumbles some change out of his pocket and picks up the receiver.

• Options
    Mathew, not being comfortable about having left his computer in the jeep, gets up. "I'm gonna go grab my computer." He says as he walks out the door. He heads straight for the jeep hoping to catch Nathan at the Jeep so he could get his computer.

Original Creepy Janitor

• Options
    Todt is exhausted and goes to sleep, on top of the blanket on Javier's bed.
    TOTALLY NOT GAY BRO

• Options
    Nathan inserts the coins and dials the number he'd been given for the local EON HQ.

"Hello, could I have Director Codburn, please?"

When (if) Codburn answers, Nathan will say,

"Just checking in, Director. The team has checked in the Desert Rest Inn on the outskirts of town. You were right sir, these boys seems crazy. One, Todt I think, was raving about zombies and that you were out to get them. He said you'd sent Mathew a finger in the mail for christsakes.

They may have murdered or assaulted several people, including someone named Dr. Appelton, to cover up whatever they're doing. I'll stay with'em and keep you updated. If they try to harm anymore individuals, do I have permission to use force to prevent them from doing so?"

• Options
    @jimmyhelu that last comment doesn't seem like it's in the right thread...

• Options
    Guy is still a bit shaken from his little vision earlier, but true to form doesn't let it show. After talking with the others he excuses himself and hops into bed.

• Options
    Nathan hangs up the receiver and makes his way back to the motel.

• Options
    As Nathan returns to the hotel, he notices Mathew near the jeep.

Shit. Hopefully he didn't see me on the phone.

"Hey, uhm, Mathew, was it? Need something out of the jeep?"