As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

A Midsummer Night's [chat]

• Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I have contacted the G&T B:AC thread to see if my code will get a good home.

MyDcmbr, thank you for consuming a caffeinated drink for my benefit. I'm sorry it didn't work out.

• Options
    Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Drez wrote:
    I never understood the obsession with reading plays. The works of Shake'n'spear are not great as books.

Well, they aren't "books." They are "plays." Just like a short story isn't a book, a poem isn't a book, a novella isn't a book (though it is book-like). And so on.

A play is text, but it isn't a book.

This may sound like semantics, but I posit that if you approach reading the text of a play like it's a book you are doing it wrong.

To clarify where I'm coming from, a lot of classrooms handle them that way. They're not read as plays. The teachers assign acts like chapters to read overnight and you discuss the next day. It's terrible.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    God you guys are wusses. 5 hours aint no thing.

• Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Drez, that's just crap. By what method did you deduce the maximum length of time a play could last?

• Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Moliere rights some funny fucking plays

They are pretty hilarious to read.

Midsummer Night's Dream was a pretty great read as well in all honesty.

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Lawndart wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Seriously, Hamlet is my favorite play from any author. It's a fantastic play.

But five hours worth of play to read is quite different from five hours of play to watch.

Nobody wants to watch a five hour play. Fuck that.

I'm pretty sure most modern stagings of the longer Shakespeare plays edit the text down a bit.

Also, hearing Shakespeare acted aloud is a much different experience than reading it on the page.

Yes, that's my point. 95% of all film and stage representations of Hamlet are trimmed down extensively. As far as I'm concerned, the crux of Hamlet can be communicated by eliminating certain parts of the play. While every scene relates to the text, it's not necessary to produce all of it for a staged or filmed representation to tell roughly the same story.

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Bogart wrote:
    Drez, that's just crap. By what method did you deduce the maximum length of time a play could last?

By estimating the maximum length of time I can sit watching my favorite play without wanting someone to jam an icepick in my eye.

Drez on
  • Options
    DaxonDaxon Registered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I never understood the obsession with reading plays. The works of Shake'n'spear are not great as books.

Well, they aren't "books." They are "plays." Just like a short story isn't a book, a poem isn't a book, a novella isn't a book (though it is book-like). And so on.

This may sound like semantics, but I posit that if you approach reading the text of a play like it's a book you are doing it wrong.

To clarify where I'm coming from, a lot of classrooms handle them that way. They're not read as plays. The teachers assign acts like chapters to read overnight and you discuss the next day. It's terrible.

Well yeah.. how else would you teach it?

Although we also spent time reading it in class so we'd have people picked for parts for an act or a couple of scenes and they'd say their lines and whatnot.

I remember having a lot of fun with plays in school.

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I really want to see waiting for godot again.

And would murder to see a production of rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead.

• Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    I've been to fair number of plays. I think most of the recent ones have tended to start at 7.30-8pm, have a 15-30 minute interval, and usually finish around 10.30-11pm.

When I was at Cambridge the main show quite often started at 7 and went on till 10.30 with a 15 minute interval because I used to stick around and go to the 11pm 1 hour play/footlights show.

• Options
    Drez wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

By estimating the maximum length of time I can sit watching my favorite play without wanting someone to jam an icepick in my eye.

The flaw here is with your attention span.

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    wandering wrote:
    Plays are best appreciated viewed on stage, nothing will convince me otherwise.
    You're not going to see Anthony Hopkins/Ian McKellen quality actors at your local playhouse.

I disagree. Some of the best stage stuff I've seen has been put on by small, local groups. I was in an adaptation of Terry Pratchett's "Wyrd Sisters" sme years back, and the guy we had playing the Fool was incredible.
    Now that you say that I do recall that I saw a local production of Little Shop of Horrors and I thought the lead guy was better than Rick Moranis.

And I love Rick Moranis.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote:

And would murder to see a production of rosencrantz and guildenstern are dead.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1122775/

• Options
    Drez wrote:

No, I understood where you were coming from. I think that method of teaching and discussing a play is fine. Devoting class time to acting out/reading aloud a play is useful as a single exercise, maybe, but not necessary and is rather wasteful in my opinion.

Assigning a play as reading material doesn't magically turn the play into a book. It's not a book. Unless, by "book," you literally meant "something the teacher makes you read at home." Which is not what "book" means.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote:

I saw Patrick Stewart and Ian McKellan do that a couple of years ago. They didn't suck.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    man five hours is like seven star trek episodes

who would want to watch patrick stewart yak on a set for five hours when you can see him blow up seven motherfucking temporal anomalies

Elendil on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    man five hours is like seven star trek episodes

who would want to watch patrick stewart yak on a set for five hours when you can see him blow up seven motherfucking temporal anomalies

You have obviously never seen him do Shakespeare. The man is simply breathtaking.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    Leitner wrote:
    Oh.

See I thought you meant old people do because they're racist, and young people do because they're one of the most tolerant generations in history, and that doesn't really line up with islam.

A problem to us specifically. Question asked was "do you think there are too many muslims in norway?" and "Do you think islam is a threat against norwegian culture?"

Although less people said "yes" in norway than in a lot of other west european countries.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I prefer to read rather than watch s'pere because otherwise I don't get all the allusions and word play and shit

• Options
    Maybe I'm just way too fidgety but I literally cannot sit and watch anything for five hours. I don't want to. I can't even play a video game for that long anymore. After 2-3 hours I have to get up and stretch my legs or do something else. No matter how much I like it or how captivating it is, being stuck watching anything for 5 hours is way too much.

In fact, I think if aliens or God were set to arrive on earth and I had front row tickets I'd start to get antsy around the three hour mark. If God or Z'lthronkian III were taking questions, I'd raise my hand and ask "can we maybe speed this up a little bit?"

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I've seen Stewart in MacBeth, Antony & Cleopatra and as Claudius in Hamlet. I did not yearn to see him go to warp speed.

Bogart on
  • Options
    Bogart wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    Bogart wrote:

The flaw here is with your attention span.

I'd say the flaw is with everyone else's attention span.

• Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    getting stuff shipped from America is stupid expensive :(

• Options
    wanderingwandering Russia state-affiliated media Registered User regular
    Bogart wrote:
    How the fuck you can say Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long when it was pretty much the exact same length as the play is beyond me.
    well in shakespeare's day they read the words way faster, because the words were easier to understand back then.

• Options
    YamiNoSenshiYamiNoSenshi A point called Z In the complex planeRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    Maybe I'm just way too fidgety but I literally cannot sit and watch anything for five hours. I don't want to. I can't even play a video game for that long anymore. After 2-3 hours I have to get up and stretch my legs or do something else. No matter how much I like it or how captivating it is, being stuck watching anything for 5 hours is way too much.

In fact, I think if aliens or God were set to arrive on earth and I had front row tickets I'd start to get antsy around the three hour mark. If God or Z'lthronkian III were taking questions, I'd raise my hand and ask "can we maybe speed this up a little bit?"

I'm the same way with one caveat: If I'm doing something with friends and socializing I can just keep rolling. But yeah, I was playing Batman AC last night and after a an hour or two I was just done with that.

• Options
    ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    October is almost over, gotta rep my boi in my av
    is that jesus

it's a piece by Wayne Barlowe, who did some uber-creepy illustrations of hell

this one is from Sargatanus: http://waynebarlowe.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/barlowe_sargatanas.jpg?w=653&h=969

JKKaAGp.png
  • Options
    wandering wrote:
    Bogart wrote:
    How the fuck you can say Branagh's Hamlet was an hour too long when it was pretty much the exact same length as the play is beyond me.
    well in shakespeare's day they read the words way faster, because the words were easier to understand back then.

Again I say unto thee wut? What kind of drawling Shakespeare adaptations are you going to?

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    I dislike reading plays. Mostly because you could just watch it instead.

Our teacher had us read the play right before we all went to actually see it. Facepalm'd so hard.

then pretended to read while doodling all over the pages we got.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    Bogart, if you want I will re-read Hamlet just to refamiliarize myself with the specifics of each scene and will give you a full essay by next week on why a five hour stage production is completely unnecessary to tell the tale of Hamlet.

• Options
    LawndartLawndart Registered User regular
    As a side note, Ian McKellan's "Acting Shakespeare" is really awesome, since not only does he go through the process behind how he delivers the famous "Tomorrow, and tomorrow" soliloquy from Macbeth, and then delivers it, but he also does a hilarious bit where he delivers it in the overblown, weirdly-accented, presentational style that it would have originally been delivered in during Shakespeare's lifetime.

• Options
    Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    There is a story about Patrick Stewart returning to stage work either shortly after or during the production of TNG. He was appearing in a Shakespeare play - I forget which one - and he was sat in a throne of some sort. As he stood up he tugged on the bottom of his shirt (as he would often do as Picardo n TNG) and the audience erupted into cheers.

He vowed never to touch his clothing on stage again.

As for McKellen... well, there's this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FqU5-2o-9cM

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    Organichu wrote:
    6'1

Like all men, you are actually 5'11". You think you can get away with two inches because the shoes add one and the next is an honest mistake.

MaleHeightDistributionYoink.png

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Elendil wrote:
    October is almost over, gotta rep my boi in my av
    is that jesus

it's a piece by Wayne Barlowe, who did some uber-creepy illustrations of hell

this one is from Sargatanus: http://waynebarlowe.files.wordpress.com/2011/06/barlowe_sargatanas.jpg?w=653&h=969

I...am probably crazy, but do those grey shapes in the upper-right resemble the Minbari Cruisers to anyone else?

• Options
    Most people don't even understand Hamlet. It's a very dark tragedy, but it's also one of Shakespeare's funniest plays.

I saw a "futurized" version of it where everyone was dressed up as jedi monks and wielding lightsabers but they left the text and diction alone. The fight between Laertes and Hamlet was truly something.

I was quite familiar with the play and everyone else in the half-packed theater was just stone cold silent while I was in the back laughing my ass off. Not just at the temporal shift but there is so much hilarious dramatic irony in a well-done production of Hamlet.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    that is an interesting chart

I am 6.2

I mostly notice when other dudes are taller than me, which isn't often

and most guys seem about my height

which I guess makes sense as most men are

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Aaron Spelling was Shakespeare's modern day incarnation.

Search your feelings you know it to be true

Ludious on
  • Options
    that is an interesting chart

I am 6.2

I mostly notice when other dudes are taller than me, which isn't often

and most guys seem about my height

which I guess makes sense as most men are

I think the arrow saying "yoink!" is the most interesting part of that graph.

• Options
    Ludious wrote:
    Aaron Spelling was Shakespeare's contemporary.

Search your feelings you know it to be true

What is wrong with you.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    used the wrong word there. Sorry. My brain is tired from pain meds.

• Options
    I'm just saying if Shakespeare were alive today he'd write soaps

This discussion has been closed.