Options

X-Box Live hack? Fifa run mengamuk?

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    redfield85 wrote:
    I took my card off during the Summer. It was such a fucking hassle. I told the guy my card was expiring that week. He said they can get rid of the card but would have to cancel the rest of my subscription. I only had like 2-4 days left and I was going to renew anyway. I told him I was going to renew and, as the deletion process went on in the background or whatever, he kept bugging me and asking WHEN I was going to renew. Like, give me a break.

Weird. I'm guessing they changed it. I removed my credit card from my account just now via the website and it was just a matter of clicking a button. I'm not even sure why my credit card was on there -- maybe I added points that way once or twice.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Cynical Old Man Registered User regular
    Bastable wrote:
    Changed my passwords back when the PSN hack happened. Now every password for every service has an individual password, so if one or more are compromised that password won't work with anything else.
    Phasen wrote:
    Found a smaller image. Seriously fuck fifa.

I'm considering buying a PS3 just so I can play Skyrim. If they do not have my account resolved by skyrims release date.

Because we all know Sony's immune to any security related issues.
    I think the difference is Sony went public and pulled the plug on access when the PSN debacle occurred. MS seems to be busy blaming individuals for not being security conscious while people are having their credit cards used by third parties. While going with the line "there are no problems here."

Sony sort of handled their screw up well enough that peoples CC were not charged.

They pulled the plug because it was a giant hack. These hacks are done one at a time or something a tiny bit larger. Sony's was the entire network. And it took them over a week to decide what to do about it.

• Options
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:
    I took my card off during the Summer. It was such a fucking hassle. I told the guy my card was expiring that week. He said they can get rid of the card but would have to cancel the rest of my subscription. I only had like 2-4 days left and I was going to renew anyway. I told him I was going to renew and, as the deletion process went on in the background or whatever, he kept bugging me and asking WHEN I was going to renew. Like, give me a break.

Weird. I'm guessing they changed it. I removed my credit card from my account just now via the website and it was just a matter of clicking a button. I'm not even sure why my credit card was on there -- maybe I added points that way once or twice.

I think that works if the card is expired.

• Options
    Guitar Hero Of TimeGuitar Hero Of Time Registered User regular
    So, this happened to be very recently as well. No idea how they could have gotten my Live password. They locked out my account.

BUT I can still play Batman. All they do is lock you out from being able to log in to LIVE....if you can't sign in at all, it might mean that you did not recover your gamertag after you got hacked? The hacker recovers it to their Xbox so they can use it, and you have to recover it back before you can sign in again. Try that.

They also gave me a code for a free month of Live. This was a few days ago. That said, it took 3 or 4 calls of bad luck and getting the same lazy, dumb chick that would lie to me and say that it was impossible for them to do anything before a supervisor passed me to a guy who knew what he was doing. Phone tech support can be a very mixed bag.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

Its seems the only one I can't remove was the one tied to auto-renew. And I have to call to change that... so dumb.

How does buying XBL gold cards from a place like amazon work? Do they actually mail you a card, or just e-mail you the code?

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    They mail you the card.

And possibly charge shipping! :rotate:

• Options
    How stupid...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Skull2185 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

Its seems the only one I can't remove was the one tied to auto-renew. And I have to call to change that... so dumb.

How does buying XBL gold cards from a place like amazon work? Do they actually mail you a card, or just e-mail you the code?

It depends on which option you pick. The price is frequently different by a few cents.

This sucks about FIFA...PSN also had people end up being charged (a few of them were on this message board). Obviously, we're all hoping it doesn't spin out of control like that did.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    I'm still not entirely certain what's happening. Are these hacked accounts a result of the person who was hacked playing Fifa?

• Options
    BastableBastable Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote:
    Bastable wrote:
    Changed my passwords back when the PSN hack happened. Now every password for every service has an individual password, so if one or more are compromised that password won't work with anything else.
    Phasen wrote:

I'm considering buying a PS3 just so I can play Skyrim. If they do not have my account resolved by skyrims release date.

I think the difference is Sony went public and pulled the plug on access when the PSN debacle occurred. MS seems to be busy blaming individuals for not being security conscious while people are having their credit cards used by third parties. While going with the line "there are no problems here."

Sony sort of handled their screw up well enough that peoples CC were not charged.

They pulled the plug because it was a giant hack. These hacks are done one at a time or something a tiny bit larger. Sony's was the entire network. And it took them over a week to decide what to do about it.
    Going by GAF and Qt3 forum threads similar to this, Microsoft has been sitting on this for several months, and people are actually having their Monies stolen the entire time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442986

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=66686

But hell lolsony.

Philippe about the tactical deployment of german Kradschützen during the battle of Kursk:
    "I think I can comment on this because I used to live above the Baby Doll Lounge, a topless bar that was once frequented by bikers in lower Manhattan."

• Options
    edited October 2011
    I'd be highly suspicious--I was pretty skeptical of the damage of the PSN outage until it hit its peak and was pretty hard to deny--and from what we know, even from the doommongers, this seems to be on a near-individual basis.

But, it could spin out of control. Hope it doesn't. Plus, I'm extremely reluctant to believe anything coming from NeoGAF, because, well, it's NeoGAF.

Synthesis on
  • Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

They email you the code. It works well for me... Also if you generally wait until your live is about to expire you can usually get some free MS Points for renewing (even if you buy the code from Amazon).

• Options
    Bastable wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Bastable wrote:
    Phasen wrote:

Going by GAF and Qt3 forum threads similar to this, Microsoft has been sitting on this for several months, and people are actually having their Monies stolen the entire time.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=442986

http://www.quartertothree.com/game-talk/showthread.php?t=66686

But hell lolsony.

It was lolsony because it was every damn person on PSN. It hasn't reached that on the XBox yet.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    This happened to me too. I'm not sure if MS is done 'investigating' or not yet, but they sent me a survey.

My EA account is also permabanned for 'exploits in FIFA '12', which I've never bought or played. I can't remember if I have anything else tied to an EA account though, so I'm not sure how bad it is.

• Options
    AllforceAllforce Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    edit: never mind, I have no idea how I missed the 14 responses

Allforce on
  • Options
    I had first heard of this problem when watching Jeff Gerstmann's little "Jar Time with Jeff" thing on Giant Bomb a few weeks ago. He's in the middle of answering a question and gets a text message. He reads it and has a surprised look on his face and says "Man...I'm not going to say what that just said, but..." and advised everyone to keep an eye on their Xbox Live accounts for the Fifa thing. It was definitely a little alarming.

• Options
    Oh they are done, I had just already changed my password and recovered my gamertag on my own.

The first thing I knew, Paypal was emailing me receipts for XBox live points. So at first I was worried that my Paypal account had been compromised. Then when I saw that the points had been bought for my gamertag, not someone else's, I figured out it was only my Live account. Not as bad. I got both MS and Paypal to do investigations. Paypal had my money back in a couple of days, MS took a bit longer, but not unreasonably long. MS gave me 2 1-month Gold codes so that was nice of them. I wish I knew if the security issue was on their side or mine though. I think it's theirs, since I hardly touch my live account, and I never play online, etc.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

They email you the code. It works well for me... Also if you generally wait until your live is about to expire you can usually get some free MS Points for renewing (even if you buy the code from Amazon).

I've done it twice and both times they mailed me a physical card.

• Options
    Skull2185 wrote:
    I'm still not entirely certain what's happening. Are these hacked accounts a result of the person who was hacked playing Fifa?

No, FIFA stuff is just what they buy with your money because they can sell it for Real$ later.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

You have to select digital. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Month-Online-Game/dp/B002VBWIP6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319822726&sr=8-3

• Options
    The lasting result is my EA account got banned and getting it unbanned is proving tricky.

• Options
    Just for clarification, there are two types of points cards you can buy on Amazon.

The ones marked with [Online Game Code] which they email to you immediately after purchase.

And the regular ones they physically mail to you.

• Options
    urahonky wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    Skull2185 wrote:
    urahonky wrote:
    SteevL wrote:
    redfield85 wrote:

You have to select digital. :)

http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-Live-Month-Online-Game/dp/B002VBWIP6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1319822726&sr=8-3

Yeah, it's literally the difference between ordering a game in digital and in an actual disc. I've done it multiple times--you don't even need your email, they just send you to a page with the code and attach it to your account (so it's held in a record along with anything else digital).

• Options
    PhasenPhasen Hell WorldRegistered User regular
    Thanks for the tip on recovering my gamertag. I can access my saves now and have created a new account which comes with a free month of live so I can watch netflix/hulu. Havent decided on if I want to just start from scratch with the new tag or continue with the old one... oh look I could play Fifa.

psn: PhasenWeeple
  • Options
    BroktuneBroktune Registered User regular
    I hope it's faster than 25 days, especially with Target's buy 2 get 1 sale. I also didn't have any problem removing my cc from the website, just clicked a button and it was removed. I want to pound on the face of whoever did this to me.

• Options
    We finally got a reponse from Microsoft. They say the email change to Russia amd the 400$ spent on FIFA is legitimate and are advising the credit card company to not refund the money. Which they then won't because they already refused to do it until Microsoft told them it was fraudulent. They claimed they already sent two free months of Xbox live but they sent the codes to the Russian address the thieves changed it to and refuse to send it to the actual address previously associated with the account.

Customer service!

• Options
    TehSpectreTehSpectre Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    We finally got a reponse from Microsoft. They say the email change to Russia amd the 400$ spent on FIFA is legitimate and are advising the credit card company to not refund the money. Which they then won't because they already refused to do it until Microsoft told them it was fraudulent. They claimed they already sent two free months of Xbox live but they sent the codes to the Russian address the thieves changed it to and refuse to send it to the actual address previously associated with the account.

Customer service!
    Call back and ask to speak with a supervisor.

9u72nmv0y64e.jpg
  • Options
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Customer service!

That WAS the supervisor.

• Options
    TommattTommatt Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Customer service!

That WAS the supervisor.

Keep calling back. I once got the same guy they said was the supervisor when I had asked for a supervisor before (might have been a different company, pretty sure it was MS though).

It worked for the Russian guy who stole your account.

• Options
    Moridin889Moridin889 Registered User regular
    For call centers they very rarely actually give you the supervisor, just transfer you to another rep with a flag on your call. Keep trying. Send e-mails. Once you get through the first apathetic layer you should be good.

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Someone just bought 10000 points on the account I use solely for a Zune subscription. Just called to kick off the investigation. They didn't change the pw or anything though, just bought/spent the points.

Artereis on
  • Options
    Artereis wrote:
    Someone just bought 10000 points on the account I use solely for a Zune subscription. Just called to kick off the investigation. They didn't change the pw or anything though, just bought/spent the points.

Sounds familiar. You'll want to change the password and recover the gamertag if you have a 360.

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    Artereis wrote:

Literally the same thing happened to me. But replace 'just' with 'eleven days ago.' Didn't catch it until I looked at my account activity for my card and saw $135 worth of XboxLive purchases on it.

I haven't even touched my X-Box for, like, over a year.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    I went to the xbox live site just now to try change my password and remove my credit card, except every time I try to do one of those two things, I'm given an error and told I can't.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ShimshaiShimshai Flush with Success! Isle of EmeraldRegistered User regular
    So these all seem like pretty serious issues, but for the most part it seems to have flown under a lot of people's radar. Has Microsoft issued any statements regarding this whole debacle?

Steam/Origin: Shimshai

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited October 2011
    Shimshai wrote:
    So these all seem like pretty serious issues, but for the most part it seems to have flown under a lot of people's radar. Has Microsoft issued any statements regarding this whole debacle?

It's been a huge problem, but Microsoft acts like it doesn't exist.

It happened to me, and now I constantly hear about how it happens pretty much every day. http://www.gregalor.com/2011/09/microsoft-fraud/

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    expendableexpendable Silly Goose Registered User regular
    isn't there like, a press string of buttons password that you can set up on your gamertag? I thought I recall there being a way that you could make a password using the face buttons. I wonder if that would be sufficient to stock these intrusions?

I don't know about sufficient, but on your Xbox:
    1) Select the box with your avatar
    2) Account Management -> Manage your account
    3) Scroll over to Your Information and select Xbox Live Pass Code

So far all I've seen it do is not let me sign in until I put in the code.

Djiem wrote: »
    Lokiamis wrote: »
    So the servers suddenly decide to cramp up during the last six percent.
    Man, the Director will really go out of his way to be a dick to L4D players.
    Steam
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:
    TehSpectre wrote:
    Magic Pink wrote:

Customer service!

That WAS the supervisor.

You need to talk to the supervisor from your credit card company. Tell them Microsoft is saying you have moved to Russia and the charges are legitimate, and then request they review your account history. The two together should be enough for the bank to say "wait, what?"

Any talk of court for any of this bullshit yet?

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Yep, console networks no longer get to have my credit card.

So glad I never ended up putting my new CC info on XBL after my last one expired, due to the headache and hassle of them deciding that I really want autorenewal even when I explicitly tell them I don't.

• Options
    kildykildy Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

Customer service!

Huh. I just had this all happen to me (random purchases of points, an attempt to add another email address to my account, and apparently buying something from FIFA12 since I got a registration confirmation from them.)

MS refunded me all but the points purchase that went towards FIFA (so the bulk of the charges, since they charged something silly like 4000, 400, and something else tiny). I never had them even imply that it was anything other than fraudulent.

I will say their "we locked the account" system is poorly explained, as are the followup steps and the "oh yeah, and it won't really be addressed for 30 days at which point your account will be fully suspended!" bit. But by sheer volume? Something wonky is up.