Options

Sword of the Stars II: Apparently all is now clear.

1141516171820»

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    So I brought this game when it was first released way back during the year of whatever (I can't remember), and I put in 8 hours into it and just couldn't take it.

All I want to know is whether this game is as fun as SOTSI or is it still.....bad?

• Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    So I brought this game when it was first released way back during the year of whatever (I can't remember), and I put in 8 hours into it and just couldn't take it.

All I want to know is whether this game is as fun as SOTSI or is it still.....bad?

I would say its about as much fun. There is a lot more prep work you have to do with your fleets and planets, but the management is much more granular too.

steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    I need to set aside a full day to sit down and deal with the slower pace. Maybe I'm just not at the right point in my genre cycle. The itch is there but the mind is unwilling.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    So, PSA for those who want this game but still don't feel like shelling out $20 for a "maybe" purchase(Like me!)

It's $5 on Gamestop/impulse today. You have to go through impulse(The ex-stardock now-gamestop steam attempt)to buy it and get the product code, but the code can then be entered into steam and you never have to worry about it again.

• Options
    SokpuppetSokpuppet You only yoyo once Registered User regular
    Not installing Impulse is easily worth $15.

• Options
    You can....

you can uninstall programs

• Options
    edited March 2013
    but you'll know it was there at one time.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    I guess then, yes, if you care that much about never installing impulse then it would be worth $15.

If you don't mind installing a program that you can then uninstall then you can save like $15

• Options
    Picked up The Pit.

Fullscreen initially breaks mouse controls, but if you alt-tab out and back in they're fixed.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    What's that you say? You want a dedicated Pit thread? Well, if you insist...

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Hello thread! How are you doing? Great.
    So, I seem to have almost 200 hours logged with this game, most of which around the time it came out and the Christmas holidays that followed. I must have really enjoyed it, since it made me attempt and partially succeed to program a map generator and map viewer, and learn python to do it. But I've hardly touched it since.

Can anyone tell me about all the stuff that's improved in the last year?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    I've never played a SotS game before in the past...but I love 4x games (Civilization in particular), and I like space. Will I like this?

camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Get SotS 1, not SotS 2. SotS 1 is a reasonably polished light combat focused 4x game. SotS 2 has better combat mechanics, but the 4x layer is downright unfriendly.

• Options
    VicVic Registered User regular
    edited April 2013
    Funny that this thread just surfaced again. I gave this another try just the other day, and while it was somewhat playable I thought it was still far less fun than SotS 1. I am also not sure if it is a bug or a feature, but I kept having battles in systems repeat up to three times between each turn. This was particularly annoying when I set the computer to autobattle, but it only resolved the first one and then forced me to sit through two more full battles where I could only watch my gate slowly get killed off.

It was even worse in one particular battle, because the tactical AI was stupid/bugged and sent the defensive fleet off in the wrong direction full speed during the first, computer controlled battle phase, forcing me to spend the whole five minutes of the second battle phase flying them back while the tiny enemy fleet killed my gate, then five minutes in a final battle trying to chase down the escaping enemy ships. Suffice to say that was enough to make me stop playing the game.

Vic on
  • Options
    rockrngerrockrnger Registered User regular
    Heir wrote: »
    I've never played a SotS game before in the past...but I love 4x games (Civilization in particular), and I like space. Will I like this?
    Taste aside, this game is and probably always will be too buggy for its length and scope.

If you can lose 10 to 20 hours of preparation to a show stopper there is just no way to recommend it.

• Options
    edited April 2013
    SotS 1 is fantastic and well worth as much of your time as you let it devour.
    SotS 2 never quite made it there and probably never will.

Sokpuppet on
  • Options
    CaedwyrCaedwyr Registered User regular
    So, with Sword of the Stars showing up in the current Indie Royale bundle, can anyone who has the game let us know if there has been any more improvement to the game, or have things stagnated since last report? I really enjoyed the first game and was hoping the second would be a good successor.

• Options
    kaortikaorti Registered User regular
    Sokpuppet wrote: »
    SotS 1 is fantastic and well worth as much of your time as you let it devour.
    SotS 2 never quite made it there and probably never will.

Still the current state of things.