As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Geography question

RhinoRhino TheRhinLOLRegistered User regular
edited October 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I need to find maps of rivers/lakes (water) for certain areas. What type of map is that called?

For example, if I want to get maps of rivers, lakes, etc in New York state, what would I type into images.google.com?

93mb4.jpg
Rhino on

• Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Perhaps try nautical charts?

There are several free sources, including OpenSeaMap.org and GeoGarage.

• Options
    AldoAldo Hippo Hooray Registered User regular
    What do you need to look up? Most maps display waterways and lakes, but they would not provide any data other than the name and course of the river and the name and form of the lake.

The general name for maps related to water (both surface and ground water) is "hydrological map", but this is a ridiculously broad. Perhaps the USGS has information you can use?

• Options
    SkeithSkeith Registered User regular
    Try "map of ________ waterways", less quotes, and with the location in place of the underscores. That should give you what you need. Topographical maps on a large enough scale would also have waterways on them.

aTBDrQE.jpg
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    There is a county in Ireland called 'Laois'. I'm trying to get a basic map of it. Rivers, lakes, mountains, etc. - but coming up short. My googlefu is failing me! :(

It doesn't have to be super detailed or accurate; but still having troubles.

HALP?

93mb4.jpg
  • Options
    Caelum MilitisCaelum Militis Registered User regular
    I believe you're looking for a topographic map. This is close, though doesn't seem to give elevations.

~Unyielding resolve has no conquerer~
  • Options
    RhinoRhino TheRhinLOL Registered User regular
    I believe you're looking for a topographic map. This is close, though doesn't seem to give elevations.

thanks, that is what I'm looking for!

93mb4.jpg