As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Gathering of Loathing:[mini-Phalla] - GAME OVER: VILLAGE VICTOLY!

• stever777stever777 AFK most Saturdays Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Thanks for running, Bedlam!
    I had fun.

stever777 on
    Hosting Android: Netrunner - Thread 2: The Revenge

The Black Hole of Cygnus X-1
  • DarianDarian Yellow Wizard The PitRegistered User regular
    Cythraul will need to unlock the Bro-boards.

This was fun, even if I came into an impossible situation. Why wouldn't anyone join me in voting out Spoit? :(

• SpoitSpoit *twitch twitch* Registered User regular
    Was every villager masoned? :rotate:

And looking at the mafia boards, they weren't the ones who blacked out kime, who was the asshole who did that?

steam_sig.png
  • I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Spoit wrote:

And looking at the mafia boards, they weren't the ones who blacked out kime, who was the asshole who did that?

afaik jackisreal was not?

liEt3nH.png
    Yeah, I guess there would be 1, what with 29 people and everyone else being paired off

steam_sig.png
  • RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    Darian wrote:
    Cythraul will need to unlock the Bro-boards.

This was fun, even if I came into an impossible situation. Why wouldn't anyone join me in voting out Spoit? :(

I unlocked the bro-boards for you. Who killed me, anyways? I can't find the order that did it on the sub-boards...

• BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    MrTLicious wrote:
    Thanks, Bedlam! I like hard mafia games, but I think this was a bit too hard :)
    Yeah. I forgot to tell you guys that most of the village was in mason pairs so that might have helped you guys figure out cover roles(I did do cover roles in pairs for the mafia but it was never explicitly stated). I tried to balance this by not having a seer power but then Arivia super confirmed Tayrun and he got so many guards he could never really be killed. Maybe if Wormhole was still in the game. There was two groups of three that needed to kill each other and two SNs that needed to kill each other. Silas took care of Peccavi day 1 and a truce was called with the others. There was supposed to be way more village infighting than there ended up being. My biggest mistake was not asking anyone to look over things and from where I stood I thought the mafia would be overpowered. I had an idea to give them passive abilitys and really wish I had actually did that. Day 4 spoit and roman said something about the mafia not having a kill power so I magically gave them one but everyone they targeted was either guarded or dying already.

Hiding HP was stupid stupid stupid. I felt really bad day 1 when redasuar took 5 damage and I had already swore not to tell anyone. I wanted to change it imediatly but there were two powers to look at player's HP so it felt too late to change by then without making anyone mad. I dont remember why exactly I wanted it that way other than probably to increase the kill count.

The randomness of powers was supposed to self balance things. The idea was one day you would crap and the next day you would get an awesome bomb. In some cases it worked this one but in others people would get the same thing two days in a row and just ughhh. Some more structure would probably have been nice there. Also there was too many crazy things since anything that seemed fun made it in and things that didnt seem fun, didnt.

edited November 2011
    Spoit wrote:

The twins wernt. The Sk wasnt. The unlosing ranger wasnt. And Jackisreal was supposed to have one but didnt. I definetly underestimated the power of masons while overestimating the cordination of the mafia.

Silas blacked out kime. Which made me happy.

Bedlam on
  • TayrunTayrun Registered User regular
    So was Wormhole a busdriver ability? I never saw a classic busdrive in the game, so I figured Peccavi died with it. The name fits.

Bedlam wrote:

Silas blacked out kime and then vigged Cayrus on a whim.

Made it easy to pick mason targets for confirmation at least.

The mafia definitely needed at least a passive group kill, for balance. But the BROs threw the game by both groups cooperating with Tayrun; that dropped the potential mafia pool so far that there was no time for us to hunt down each other.

The problem with a passive mafia kill is that odds are it would have let me build a network even faster.

I think the main issue was there being way too many mason pairs. Six was clearly too high a number. Maybe three would have been okayish?

Yeah. Heres all the roles:
    1) You are the PSYCHOPATH

When you were young The UnLosing Ranger and Dr Badman had a big ol battle that resulted in your parents being deaAAaaaAaad. You swore vengeance and always meant to take on the mantle of a hero but your brain just got all twisted and eventually your only goal became watching the world burn.

Special Ability: You draw two cards each day but may only select one for use.

Victory Condition: Kill all other players

2) You are The UnLosing Ranger

The world was terrorized when Dr Badman appeared in his spaceship. But you being a teenager with attitude were determined not to live under his rule. You went on a mystic quest and discovered the power of The UnLosing Ranger which you use for good and the destruction of evil.

Special Abilities:
    1) Victory is in the heart or your heart - The mafia cant win as long as you are alive.
    2) True Grit - Your Maximum HP is 15

Victory Condition: Defeat all threats to the village!

3) You are the Evil Dr Badman!

You came to this world with your league of evil henchmen with the hopes and dreams of one day ruling it with an iron fist! You're also the guy who broke the probability core and made reality all screwy so people are pretty mad about that. Oh well, you'll just have to make them bend to your will or destroy them, whichever comes first.
    Your cover role is "Wren": A weird little dog thing with a penchant for coffee and the desire for power. For now you'll just have to settle with bossing around your stupid friend as you journey through being a yaksman!

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition: Destroy The UnLosing Ranger and outnumber the remaining players!

4) You are Mittens!

Personal cat to Dr Badman you have joined the league of evil with the hopes and dreams of ruling all mice with an iron paw! When your evil plans come to pass you will guarantee yourself a saucer of milk each night before bedtime. You are seriously one wicked pussy.
    Your cover role is "Stumpy": YOU STOOPID IDEEOT STUMPY! You seem to always do the wrong thing around your best friend, which gets you smacked all the time. Hell its a living till something better comes along, enjoy your rancid milk!

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition: Destroy The UnLosing Ranger and outnumber the remaining players!

5) You are The Sand King!

You hold dominion over deserts and beaches and rule them with an iron fist! You are the master of chaffing when the sand gets in someone's bathing suit because seriously that hurts like hell. Your evil ways of stealing princesses will come to pass as long as any heroes don't go knocking that crown off your head and making you lose your powers!

Your cover role is "Tan": Saaaaay Whaaaaat! You have the brain of a computer and an encyclopedic knowledge of all things television. You spend most of your time in a study group at community college but your favorite thing in the whole world is watching bad movies with your best friend.

You are masoned with:

6) You are The Milk Man!

You alone hold dominion over dairy delivery and rule it with an iron fist! You will unleash your plans and homogenize the world until your emulsion of evil is complete! The Lactose intolerant will quiver at your feet as you further the league of evil's goals!

Your cover role is "Black": Formally a high school football star you've used your time at college well coming into your own. Your favorite thing is making jokes with your best friend and sometimes you host a morning show with no cameras for fuuun

You are masoned with:

7) You are Clango!

An evil robot from the year 3000 you have traveled back in time to rule the past with a very literal iron fist! Unfortunately something went terribly wrong and all your cool future stuff broke. Then you were forced to rent an apartment from Dr Badman and join his league of evil as a measure of not going to the junk heap. You are just biding your time, for you know one day all meat bags will suffer!
    Your cover role is "Point-Dexter": A small boy with a big brain you spend all your free time in your secret la-bor-atory where you accomplish tasks like building mechs, moving planets, and keeping your annoying sister away from you.

You are masoned with:

8) You are Steve!

You are the teenage son of Dr Badman and rule your messy room with an iron fist! You don't know if you have a mom or if you are a test tube clone baby or what, and you're not crazy about the whole evil thing but you go along with what dad says. Maybe one day you'll come into your own as an evil genius but until then you figure life could be a lot worse.

Your cover role is "DeeDeeDee": A tall stupid girl who loves nothing more to annoy her brother. You manage to get into his lab every single time no matter how hard he tries to keep you out. Oh well, at least you are always there to help him out in a jam.

You are masoned with:

9) You are Gemini Twin Polaris!

Born with another in this world you were separated at birth. The ancient legends of Phalla insist that whenever twins are born one must always be good and the other must always be evil. Therefore you must prove you are the good twin by destroying your brother and claiming your birthright of victory.

Victory Conditions:
    1) Kill Gemini Twin Betelgeuse
    2) Survive till the end of the game

10) You are Gemini Twin Betelgeuse!

Born with another in this world you were separated at birth. The ancient legends of Phalla insist that whenever twins are born one must always be good and the other must always be evil. Therefore you must prove you are the good twin by destroying your brother and claiming your birthright of victory.

Victory Conditions:
    1) Kill Gemini Twin Polaris
    2) Survive till the end of the game

11) You are Frank the Human!

You are a silly boy in cute blue shorts and an awesome hat who enjoys going on adventures, finding treasures, and kicking the butts of any villains you come across. One day you plan on kissing a princess but until then you make the most of what life hands you.

You are masoned with:

12) You are Jack the Dog!

You are a 28 year old dog with stretchy powers and a girlfriend who is a different species than you. You enjoy Ice cream, playing your viola, and helping out your buddies even when you feel really lazy.

You are masoned with:

13) You are Mr Meowgi!

You are a cat who is a master at Karate, or was it Kung fu? Either way you are determined to teach your charge about the ways of kicking butt in the face of being bullied, just so long as you aren't coughing up a hair ball.

14) You are Daniel-San! (this role was removed, jackisreal didnt get a mason partner)

You get bullied a lot by pretty much everyone. One day you meet Mr Meowgi who decides to train you in some generic movie martial art. You vow to teach your bullys a lesson while learning to be a better person. Always remember: Wax on, wax off!

You are masoned with:

15) You are Mordaguy!

You are a weird ass talking bird sort of thing who never flys. You enjoy drinking coffee, playing video games and saying things like "Dude". You dislike doing anything that involves actual work and pissing off an anthromorphic gumball dispenser.

You are masoned with:

16) You are Rigbone!

You are the hamboning champion and personal Charon to anything that needs passage to the moon. You have the power of the 80s on your side when rocking out or performing martial arts. Your co-workers are a yeti and a ghost with a hand on his head because life is freakin' weird.

You are masoned with:

17) You are The Professor!

You are space alien who looks like a silly man in a bowtie and fez, because those clothing items are cool. You travel around time and space defeating evil aliens and solving the worlds problems because sitting around bored in a blue box is just not your style.

You are masoned with:

18) You are the Generic Female Counterpart!

Life for you was plain jane until a funny man in a blue box picked you up and whisked you away to a life of adventure. You are pretty, sassy, and smart when the plot calls for it. As a bonus you look cute as a button in pretty much any outfit.

You are masoned with:

19) You are Blob!

An amorphous blob of blue...something that was imagined up by your best friend Max. He visits you at your foster home each day after school because the plot calls for his Mom being a bit of a jerk. Until that time each day you pass the time with your lady brother Brie.

You are masoned with:

20) You are Brie!

You are a yellow imaginary friend that loves playing games and drinking chocolate milk. You always mean well even though you are a bit thick and are probably ADHD if imaginary friends ever got diagnosed with things like that.

You are masoned with:

21) You are Invader DYK!

An alien from a far away planet you are determined to one day rule the world of Phalla. But you are kind of a screw up and manage to save the planet instead of destroying it. Your arch nemesis is a strange earth child and your robot companion dresses up like a dog.

You are masoned with:

22) You are GRR!

While you are a robot meant to do your masters bidding something got all screwy with your production and now your goals involve watching lots of TV and eating taquitos. One day your master plans on ruling the world but that doesn't mean you cant make a friend or two alone the way ^__^

You are masoned with:

23) You are Kalvin!

A young boy with an active imagination you enjoy pretending to be anything from an astronaut to a super hero to a god. You have never peed on anything no matter what anyone claims since anything that bears your likeness was not officially merchandised by your creator.

You are masoned with:

24) You are Hobo the Tiger!

You are a stuffed tiger who is sometimes not stuffed and very much real. Frankly its pretty confusing to you but at the end of the day you know you love your best friend and would do anything to protect him.

You are masoned with:

25) You are Powerbro Boy Brian!

You are the brains of this operation. Your talents include being able to Mcguyver a bong out of any household materials and being able to calculate the shortest distance to a wicked kegger, thus insuring maximum drunkeness. Your BROs always look up to you.

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition:
    1) Prove you are the BROest by defeating the Insane Clown Bronies.
    2) Defeat all threats to the village!

26) You are Powerbro Boy Brock!

You are the strong silent type, letting your BROs do all the talking while you work on your sick delts. When not working out at the Gym you love to show off your work at the beach. Moments that you are wearing a shirt are few and far between, no sense in pumping iron if you cant show it off!

Victory Condition:

27) You are Powerbro Boy Billy!

You love nothing more than hazing underclassmen and picking on nerds. Life is most enjoyable when you are executing hazing rituals like the pickle walk and the jerk bagel. Your dislikes are anyone that insinuates that you are a homosexual (totally not gay, BRO

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition:

28) You are Insane Clown Brony, Silent Jay!

You are a quiet pegasus brony who is paradoxically the front man to your rap group. When you aren't soaring high above the earth you are laying down the wickedest lyrics horrorcore has ever heard, that is when they can actually hear your lyrics which are barely above a whisper.

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition:
    1) Prove you are the BROest by defeating the Powerbro boys.

29) You are Insane Clown Brony, Sparkles 2 Dope!

You are a unicorn brony and the ultimate hype man to your rap group. When you are laying down sick lyrics and telling everypony to wave their hooves in the air, you are using your magic telekinetic powers to drench your fans in carbonated sugary beverages!

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition:

30) You are Insane Clown Brony, Pinkie E Clark!

You are an earth pony known for partying down and laying sick beats for your bronies to rap over. You may be the least appreciated in the group but you are quick to meet critism with sunshine and cupcakes!

You are masoned with:

Victory Condition:

Heres all the powers:
    Manipulation Abilities

1) Weresheep - Target player is transformed into a sheep and cannot use powers today.

2) Channel - Chose a player. Powers that would target you target that player instead.

3) Mirror Shield - Chose a player. Powers that would target that player target their caster instead.

4) Nullification Field - Chose a player. Powers that would target that player fail.

5) Wormhole - Chose two players. Powers that would target either player targets the other instead.

6) Black Out - If target player dies today, their alignment is not revealed.

7) Scapegoat (passive) - You have unluckily been turned into a goat this transformation. If there is a vote tie for first place, the village will kill you in their places!

8) Infuriate - Target player deals and is dealt twice as much damage today.

9) Bizarro Blessing - Chose a player. Healing abilities that target that player count as damage and damage abilities count as healing today.

10) Cosmic Stethoscope - Target player is told of their HP at the end of the day. Along with the HP of any players they are masoned with.

Copy Abilities

11) Deathmark - If target player is killed today by anything other than the vote. You gain an instant kill power tomorrow.

12) Doppelganger - You gain a copy of target players power tomorrow.

13) Ghost Whisper - Chose a power that has been removed from the game through death. You gain a copy of that power tomorrow.

Kill Abilities

14) Death Strike - Kill target player.

15) Piggy - Chose a player. I flip a coin, if it comes up heads that player is killed. If it comes up Tails you are killed.

16) Skull Die - Chose a player. I roll a 6d, if it comes up 1 or 6 that player is killed. If it comes up 2, 3, 4, or 5 you are killed.

Heal Abilities

17) Vitality Rush - Target player gains 4 HP

18) Bandages - Target player gains 3 HP

19) Quick Fix - Target player gains 2 HP

20) Spread the Wealth - Target player and each player he or she is masoned with gains 2 HP

21) Voice of Many - Target player gains X HP. Where X is the number of players in his or her mason group at the beginning of the game.

22) Double Up - Target player gains X HP. Where X is that players current HP.

23) Coalition Surge - Target player gains X HP. Where X is the number of living players divided by 2 and rounded down.

24) Surging Vote (passive) - The player you vote for today is healed equal to the number of votes he or she receives today.

Guard Abilities

25) Holy Armor - All damage dealt to target player is reduced to 0

26) Chain Mail Armor - Healing and Damage dealt to target player is reduced by half rounded down.

Attack Abilities

27) Demon's Deal - Deal 5 damage to target player. You receive a permanent -1 to your HP total.

28) Spirit Bomb - Deal X damage to target player. X cannot be greater than 5. X is equal to the number of players other than you that mark at least one word in thier post in Bold Deepskyblue

29) Fireball - Deal 4 damage to target player

30) Lightning Bolt - Deal 3 damage to target player

31) Shock - Deal 2 damage to target player.

32) Draw Blood - Deal 1 damage to target player. You are informed of that players HP at the end of the day.

33) Twinshot - Deal 2 damage to target player and 2 damage to another target player

34) Scattershot - Deal 1 damage to 3 different target players.

35) Flame Wave - Deal 2 damage to target player and each player he or she is masoned with.

36) Bleed Out - Deal 1 damage to target player. That player is dealt 1 additional damage every day unless he or she is healed.

37) Caustic Vote (passive) - The player you vote for today is dealt damage equal to the number of total votes he or she receives today.

38) Bolt of Many - Target player is dealt damage equal to the number of players in their mason group at the beginning of the game.

39) Soul Burn - Deal X Damage to target player. Where X is half the number of dead players rounded up.

40) Blood Rain - Deal 2X damage to target player. Where X is the amount of HP they were healed this day.

And heres my speadsheet, where hopefully I didnt fuck things up:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An2p-VTAp0h_dEpiQkpwWFBWUW5VS3BTY3l4OHc2X0E

• RedasaurRedasaur Registered User regular
    I think it would've worked better if the only masons were the two Bro groups; no village masons at all. It surprised me that there were so many masons; I was sure when we found out that Arivia and Tayrun were claiming to be masons, that we had stumbled across the ICBs right away. :)

Darian wrote:
    Why wouldn't anyone join me in voting out Spoit? :(

I did. Don't I count anymore? :rotate:

• I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    CDing "are masons reliable" would have dramatically changed the game

liEt3nH.png
    edited November 2011
    1 or even 2 masons groups would be fine. That was definitely a problem, but I think an equally large problem was that the mafia didn't have any extra powers on top of their RNGed cards, which would be lucky to get a consistent 1 kill a day with, even before their numbers dropped, and for a 30 person game, unless they're significantly larger, the mafia really should have 2 kills a day

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    Similarly, the SK needed to have a passive kill + the ability to use both cards each day (or draw 3, use 2).

edited November 2011
    Still, the mafia at least had a chance at an instant kill, and knew each other, so maybe...2 or 3 Farangus?

Spoit on
    steam_sig.png
    I agree. Sufficiently fewer masons that an added mafia kill wouldn't have helped me confirm people would have made this much harder.

CDing "are masons reliable" with no seer in the game would just have been vindictive. That would probably have broken me.

stever777 wrote:
    Darian wrote:
    Why wouldn't anyone join me in voting out Spoit? :(

I did. Don't I count anymore? :rotate:

No, it doesn't count when you don't stick with it, silly.
    stever777 wrote:
    Tayrun wrote:
    Tumescent, even.
    Nice. Sounds like something that old-time cartoon cat would say.
    Can't remember his name.

MrTLicious

• MrTLiciousMrTLicious Registered User regular
    How did we keep surviving? Phyphor wasn't guarded and SLyM wasn't healed. So what was the deal?

edited November 2011
    MrTLicious wrote:
    How did we keep surviving? Phyphor wasn't guarded and SLyM wasn't healed. So what was the deal?
    Pyphor only took 9 by my count. People either didnt do what they told tayrun they were going to or forgot to put in orders.

INANTP threw double up on Tayrun who channeled everything to Slym. So he was healed double and absorbed most of the damage he took for that day.

Bedlam on
    I voted Spoit last day. Not good enuf?
    :bz

Phyphor got by on one health because that was the night that Langly didn't get his order in on time.

When I said he took around 20HP of damage, that was a lie.

Oh and I hadn't decided to kill SLyM until the day I bandwagoned him, the channel was just dumping powers from people I felt weren't reliable yet.

edited November 2011
    Yeah langly PM'd me like 5 mintues late. I felt super horrible about it but had all the orders calculated by the time I saw it. MrT had a similar thing another day when he was 5 minutes late on probaord orders.

Bedlam on
  • PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, a mason overload is just giving the game to the village once they figured it out. Maybe we could have passed ourselves off as masoned pairs too?

Rules are rules, Bedlam, don't feel bad about that.

Feel bad about CDing some of my perfectly reasonable questions. ;-)

• PeccaviPeccavi Registered User regular
    Dammit, I should've used wormhole to protect myself, but I didn't expect to get targeted day one and figured kime would be a good target for shenanigans.

Phyphor wrote:
    Yeah, a mason overload is just giving the game to the village once they figured it out. Maybe we could have passed ourselves off as masoned pairs too?

See, I was paranoid somebody would do this. I kept hearing from various people that no mafia would be that crazy, but that's just the point - any mafia who did it would get a free pass right into the endgame.

Phyphor wrote:

That means a death sentence if one of you died randomly though

steam_sig.png
  • kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Phyphor wrote: »

And then when one died, the other was screwed.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • CapfalconCapfalcon Tunnel Snakes Rule Capital WastelandRegistered User regular
    So, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the game overall. I was sliiiiiiightly disappointed that my theory that colors were like magic colors and determined which "set" of cards you could get each day.

But mostly just because I was wrong.

• PhyphorPhyphor Building Planet Busters Tasting FruitRegistered User regular
    kime wrote:
    Phyphor wrote: »

And then when one died, the other was screwed.

Yeah, but not much worse than being the only people that seemed to be unmasoned. Plus it only compromises one, and discredits all other pairs

Capfalcon wrote:
    So, I have to say that I'm pretty happy with the game overall. I was sliiiiiiightly disappointed that my theory that colors were like magic colors and determined which "set" of cards you could get each day.

Im seriously considering doing this. 5 factions, no real mafia, defeat your enemy factions to win the game. Players take turns drawing cards with weaker fallback powers on days they dont.

Would take a bunch of work to balance but it would worth it for a main.

• GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    Thanks for running this, Bedlam. I was actually surprised that Tayrun put together such a workable network with no consistent seer. I was pretty suspicious (read:borderline hostile and antagonistic) towards him at the outset, because I thought that it all might be a mafia ploy. (As Arivia died to the vote, it was possible that the mafia had some sort of narration-color-altering power and used it on her.)

• AriviaArivia I Like A Challenge Earth-1Registered User regular
    Bedlam wrote:
    Capfalcon wrote:

Im seriously considering doing this. 5 factions, no real mafia, defeat your enemy factions to win the game. Players take turns drawing cards with weaker fallback powers on days they dont.

Would take a bunch of work to balance but it would worth it for a main.

Use a Magic card to figure out who is the enemy of who.

huntresssig.jpg
  • Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Tayrun wrote:
    Bedlam wrote:

Silas blacked out kime and then vigged Cayrus on a whim.

Made it easy to pick mason targets for confirmation at least.

Oh good. Now I know who to grudge. Last time I work to help a confirmed network head.

• Silas BrownSilas Brown That's hobo style. Registered User regular
    Hell, you said yourself that Cayrus was on your list. Or was that just something you said to keep me off guard?