As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Sanctum] Sanctum 2 Out!

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Cliffside lodge... 1girl 2 cores. That's just sick... I gotta rush to get two mazes built, and then i only get 5 turrets per side of the map... Sheesh.

Sure wish I had some Xbox bros to play with.

Also, I want to love the tesla rifle secondary weapon because it is amazing. Until heavy walkers show up that is... It does practically no damage to them. AR/Battle Rifle will have to do I guess.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    BroncbusterBroncbuster Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Supposedly the resource thing can be a pain in coop, but I'll have to wait and see. Reading a little on the internetz.

One post (of multiple) pretty much sums it up, which makes me sad.
    -Only one person can get resources and build in multiplayer. This has been covered elsewhere on the forum, but it's the most important aspect that is flawed in this game. Sanctum was fun because I could play with my friends and we would all contribute to defending the core. Now one person builds and the others mess around trying to explore the tiny maps for Easter eggs only to find that the maps are, in fact, tiny and unexplorable. People play tower defense games to build towers. If I wanted to sit around and occasionally shoot at aliens, I would play something else.

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
    Origin: Broncbuster
  • Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    So is xbla more recommended then pc?

• Options
    LanrutconLanrutcon The LabyrinthRegistered User regular
    Supposedly the resource thing can be a pain in coop, but I'll have to wait and see. Reading a little on the internetz.

One post (of multiple) pretty much sums it up, which makes me sad.
    -Only one person can get resources and build in multiplayer. This has been covered elsewhere on the forum, but it's the most important aspect that is flawed in this game. Sanctum was fun because I could play with my friends and we would all contribute to defending the core. Now one person builds and the others mess around trying to explore the tiny maps for Easter eggs only to find that the maps are, in fact, tiny and unexplorable. People play tower defense games to build towers. If I wanted to sit around and occasionally shoot at aliens, I would play something else.

Teh fuq? that's a weird design choice.

Capture.jpg~original
    Currently playing: GW2 and TSW
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Pretty stupid. But we'll see if it gets changed. so far 3 forums that's the biggest complaint, as it should be IMO.

keep in mind, I haven't played yet.

FOOTNOTE AFTER MORE READING:
    You can trade resources using turrets and rebuild ANY walls you want if you don't like who others are building.

In other words, you can pick up stuff, build a tower/sell a tower, use it as currency since everything is 100% sellback.

Here's a quote from a Dev on steam forums:
    That was not an easy decision. At first we did have one resource drop for each player. The problem this posed was that players would max out the maze very very quickly and the building phase degenerated into upgrading after only a wave or two, depending on the map. This proved to be incredibly repetitive and dull and we had to do something about it.

We also tried to divide the resources evenly among all the players. This didn't work either as the resources got so stretched that a player could only build a tower every third wave or so. Not very fun either.

So now we deal the resources out in two crates, one for tower bases and one for resources. We are hoping this promotes cooperation and communication among the players and that griefing can be minimized. If griefing is a big problem we'll have no choice but to change it but from the start we really want to trust our players to not be ♥♥♥♥♥.

Seems a little out of touch from reality, cause people will be dicks cause they can in PUBs. They must have just got 'internet' out there or something. Not that it matters that much, cause I'll be playing with friends, but seems odd that only 1 person will pick up the resources and build as an intentional design

Broncbuster on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited May 2013
    Yeah I was wondering about that while playing; the way drops work seemed like, unless everyone only saw their own, only one player could get them per round.

AFAIK anyone can still sell/build/upgrade though so it's not as if only one person can participate in that stuff...but since not everyone gets their own resources it is clearly limited in what you can build and is relying on player interaction during waves substantially more.

I'm not sure how they'd change it though without changing a lot of stuff. Maps are generally small as to not support the level of building that 1 did, at least so far in the campaign the size of waves themselves is limited too; for seemingly the same reasons.

I'd have to play a few games to see how big of a deal it felt like it was. EDIT: Also I probably will never really play in public games so I'm not terribly concerned about people being asses there. :rotate:

I suspect, in practice, after a couple waves it won't matter as much as folks think, and if anything not ending up a round with someone several people with unusable amounts of credits will be an overall benefit. The limit on walls means you have to rebuild your paths pretty frequently anyway so everyone will be able to participate.

EDIT2: As far as which is more recommended, I'd personally say PC? I dunno, are that many people thinking of picking it up for XBLA? The first game was PC only so I kinda figured the audience would generally congregate here.

EDIT3: that dev quote makes a lot of sense having even only seen the first bunch of levels. You really would just cap everything out super fast and the tower defense portion would be trivial for pretty much every map. This at least allows for cooperation and stuff; plus the 'free' selling of towers and walls for full refunds means that any time you can, and will, change things up and that'll take everyones participation; particularly for the timed in-between waves that pop up sometimes.

tl;dr I don't think its going to be as big of a deal as it sounds on paper, in practice.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    10 tower build limit, max upgrade level is 3, guns cannot be upgraded, maximum guns that can be taken into a level is 2, resources need to manually grabbed like in Dungeon Defenders.

They've changed a lot of stuff, hey?

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Lanrutcon wrote: »
    10 tower build limit, max upgrade level is 3, guns cannot be upgraded, maximum guns that can be taken into a level is 2, resources need to manually grabbed like in Dungeon Defenders.

They've changed a lot of stuff, hey?

They did, but it feels more the same than you'd think just reading about those changes. Pretty much everything I've encountered so far results in a better, more refined game. The FPS'ing is much better; weapons are better balanced around their own particular abilities instead of having to be balanced also around their own levels; tower power is balanced well around resource and upgrade limitations etc.

You can upgrade towers more than 3 times, btw; they just eat as much as you'll pump in basically and 'overcharge' the tower.

EDIT: I mean, on paper, a lot of those changes sound bad and/or too far of a deviation from the first game. Having played it now, I can honestly say that they're not the massive changes they appear to be. It feels exactly like what you'd expect a sequel to Sanctum to feel like.

Some things are bound to disappoint some, I suppose. There'll be people who despite the level/unlock system, among other things, but I dunno. Just give it a try, I say.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Also, you only pick up the resources after the wave. It's not like you have to run around and collect it like DD.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    echo 78echo 78 Title Registered User regular
    Just finished downloading, I hope the 10 tower limit isn't going to affect the game as much as I think it will...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I wonder how many folks got Sanctum back at launch, and remember how much less of a full game it was and more of a proof of concept alpha. It was 3 maps, the idea of loadouts wasn't even in the game (in fact I recall being pretty annoyed when they were introduced), half the towers and weapons that are in now were in launch etc.

I just can't knock Coffee Stain that much for some of the bigger changes because of how much of a testbed the first game was, and how many of the later features were kinda stuck on to try to make it a game you'd want to keep playing.

in the first 5 maps of 2, there's more diversity in enemies than in 1; there is so much more intense action with the fact that enemies pay attention to you, and because of the diversity of types. I was surprised that I actually like the limitation of walls because it makes you think a lot more strategically than in the first game where you could just build out your map the first round, and then build towers from there after everything is 'preset'. It's much more dynamic and versatile than the first game, you think harder about what you're placing but don't fear as much punishment of making a mistake because there's no penalty for selling stuff. That last thing makes it so each map can change dramatically between waves, and it never really just becomes a situation of 'welp, things are all set up, I can go afk now'; which while not necessary a bad thing in Tower Defense games in general, that's a bad thing when a major feature of that game is the FPS interactions.

Anyway I should stop talking it up so much. Even if a lot of folks end up agreeing with me, there's bound to be a person or two like in Prime World who just take what I'm saying as total bullshit. :(

I just want more people to play with because it's fun.

EDIT: Hrm, Anomaly 2 just finished downloading. Grrr too many games. How do you post steam screenshots as images in these forums? I though you could just add .jpg to them but that doesn't work.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    Oh wow that first boss. I won but that was a twist.

camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Oh, I just noticed; tower upgrades aren't all or nothing.

It'll scale the more credits you put into it, even if you can't push it over to the next level.

That's pretty nice.

EDIT: Armored Walkers make Soakers seem adorable.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    edited May 2013
    Just played the first couple of levels, definitely more FPS focused then tower defense. Seems like a game that needs to be played in co-op too. I do like the comic book style loading pages though.

All the complaining at the Steam discussion page is a little overblown...

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Yea, I'm seeing this a little more as:

Wave 1, setup some defense.
    Wave 2, refine
    Wave 3, more gates open, sell move/reconfigure etc..

All while shooting mans. Seems like it could be a good combo for fun, I'll get to try it in like 3 or so hours. :|

What I don't like is that, 2 people bring different towers, I know have to either let player 2 pick up the resources/sell a tower, etc to build. Seems...off, but I'll live with it.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Waaaaaaaay too many of the complaints on the steam forums sound a lot like "I read about these changes but have no experience with how they actually effect gameplay, and here's my bitching based on that".

I get that on paper some of the changes do sound limiting, compared to the first game.

They're just...they're not. :(

I'm just going to keep enjoying myself!

EDIT: HAHAHA a perk that does 5k damage to enemies you land on.

That's awesome. I'm gonna goomba stomp some fuckers

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Waaaaaaaay too many of the complaints on the steam forums sound a lot like "I read about these changes but have no experience with how they actually effect gameplay, and here's my bitching based on that".

I get that on paper some of the changes do sound limiting, compared to the first game.

They're just...they're not. :(

I'm just going to keep enjoying myself!

EDIT: HAHAHA a perk that does 5k damage to enemies you land on.

That's awesome. I'm gonna goomba stomp some fuckers

what that is amazing.

I just played up to the first boss, had a pretty good time. Looking forward to playing with some other people soon, I never really found the 10 tower limit to be annoying, highest I got was 7 towers and that was just spamming gun towers to take out the little guys. I've always been a fan of a few higher powered towers with crap inbetween to maze with, and they sure as hell give you enough walls to make huge mazes with. Rocket launcher is fun so far, gonna try the sniper rifle later.

Per armored guys, make sure you shoot them in the weak spot, rocket launcher would take them out in 2-3 clips without much issue. Just have to focus em quick or your towers will derp around forever not shooting all the stuff they actually can kill.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    If you could add me to both the Sanctum 1 and 2 owners list on the OP, that'd be great. I'd love to try co-op with people that actually want to play co-op, not random internet trolls xD

How hard is the first boss? Or I guess I should ask, what level is the first boss?

echo 78 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    First boss is on map 4. Then they start appearing more frequently.

The second boss on map 8 isn't fucking around. Jeeze.

First failed map; but got enough to push me to level 9 for another tower slot so yay.

• Options
    DreadBertDreadBert Registered User regular
    Hmm, sounds pretty good. Guess I'll try a hit of this kool-aid on steam. Assuming it dosen't hard lock downloading again.

• Options
    Man the new enemy AI is great. Really messes with ya if you're just coming in from Sanctum.

Try to get behind a hoverer to unload on their back and they just around and blow you the hell back 100 yards.

It's still a bit jarring still to try to get into things weak points only to have them just turn around and punch you in the face.

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    classes are just about over for me, looking forward to picking this up. has a soundtrack been announced yet?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    I kiiiinda wish there was some sort of resource sharing in MP. Playing coop with 3 people means one or two people get to build stuff, kinda stinks.

Buuut there will be patches, I imagine there will be changes long term.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    What, they couldn't just split the resources and put a % buff on resources received based on the number of players in the game? That seems like it would be easy.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    When playing co-op, people should decide before the first wave which person gets to handle resources. If its true co-op all 4 players would get a say in how the towers are set up regardless of who handles resources, but when playing with randoms online I can't see that happening...

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    playing with randoms online is pretty much the wrong answer to any game.

I know that's not helpful if the resource thing in muliplayer bugs you, but eh.

And everyone can upgrade/sell anyones towers. Only one person can pick up walls and credits, but everyone can participate in that. It actually would probably be better, with people you know, to designate someone to handle walls and/or turrets while others are just on FPS duty (several maps have really nice sniper nest type areas...); but if you must do randoms, if someone has shit setups...just change it.

• Options
    By the way, does anyone elses icons in game for towers, guns, and perks have this weird....I dunno. old school blue/red '3D' thing going on with them that makes them look really blurry? It's weird, none of the other art in the game has that, just the icons; it's obnoxious.

• Options
    I've actually only played single player so far.

I like how the levels don't take nearly as long to beat... At least the early ones. Just completed the fourth level. The boss was surprisingly easy.

I'd have to check the icons. I pretty much ignore them :P

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Someone said they were killing the armored walkers in 3 missles earlier.

Er...did you turn it to casual or something? Because...no.

• Options
    Also some of these later maps seriously need rebalancing. This one...I wanna say level 10? The per round credit drop is 100 credits. You can only build/upgrade every other round at best.

Not fun; and not even in 'well, this is a challenge' way; just not fun.

And in case folks haven't figured out; you reload your weapons even if you switch them; so the best thing to do is always empty your clips; switch weapons, and empty that clip; when you switch back your initial weapon will be reloaded.

• Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2013
    I am really digging everything about this. It's definitely far better for playing alone now. And I can see the coop being just as much fun as the first game. The unlocks and persistence are a really nice fit for this game. The 100% rebuy thing with the ten tower limit is excellent. You'll be looking at waves and reconfiguring your maze to create new kill zones armed specifically for the enemies coming your way. There are aspects of the original I'll miss, like just some of the insanely weaponized mazes we created. That was fun. So I'll probably fire it up every now and then just to screw around. But Sanctum 2 truly is an improvement in all the ways that count.

As far as the Steam discussion boards go you can't take any of them seriously. They are so terrible it makes me want to chew my arms off.

edit: General heads up, my game defaulted to Public on my campaign. So on my very first real map while I'm still just kicking around looking at the new bits and pieces some dude drops in and is all like hurry up and stuff. It was kinda gross. So go into your game options when you are setting up and set that shit to Private.

Drake on
  • Options
    I'm downloading too much crap atm, I'll only be able to give Anomaly 2 and Sanctum 2 a go this weekend.

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    Drake wrote: »
    I am really digging everything about this. It's definitely far better for playing alone now. And I can see the coop being just as much fun as the first game. The unlocks and persistence are a really nice fit for this game. The 100% rebuy thing with the ten tower limit is excellent. You'll be looking at waves and reconfiguring your maze to create new kill zones armed specifically for the enemies coming your way. There are aspects of the original I'll miss, like just some of the insanely weaponized mazes we created. That was fun. So I'll probably fire it up every now and then just to screw around. But Sanctum 2 truly is an improvement in all the ways that count.

As far as the Steam discussion boards go you can't take any of them seriously. They are so terrible it makes me want to chew my arms off.

edit: General heads up, my game defaulted to Public on my campaign. So on my very first real map while I'm still just kicking around looking at the new bits and pieces some dude drops in and is all like hurry up and stuff. It was kinda gross. So go into your game options when you are setting up and set that shit to Private.

I set mine to friends.

I don't care if people on my friends list drop into my games whenever; if you see me on and playing solo feel free.

Good games with bronc and another guy I don't know :P

It's a lot of fun co-op but the resources being how they are is weird; but you get used to it. I was taking care of turrets and the other guy was taking care of setting up paths (and doing a good job, made me feel dumb about how stupid I set up a few levels solo).

But everything scales with more people; including your damage and tower damage, so it stays a consistent difficulty.

Its incredible how much better the FPS'ing is in this game than the first one. It just plays right now and makes the first one feel pretty clumsy. For that reason alone I really don't mind the pretty moderate reduction in focus on pure TD.

You can tell though, from pacing and such, folks over at Coffee Stain played them some OMD :lol: It's still far more straight TD than OMD for sure, but the action and everything during the waves is far more intense and engaging like OMD.

Good stuff. Good stuff.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    curly haired boycurly haired boy Your Friendly Neighborhood Torgue Dealer Registered User regular
    do you guys reckon the season pass is worth it?

RxI0N.png
    Registered just for the Mass Effect threads | Steam: click ^^^ | Origin: curlyhairedboy
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    I'm holding off.

Sanctum went on sale so often, for such deep %'s...I dunno. More small houses are trying to avoid the temptation on Steam to put their game out and then put it on sale for 50% off a month later, and fair enough.

But I'd just be surprised if the game and it's DLC's didn't go on sale individually, for less than the 25% off the Season Pass gives.

EDIT: Also I'm not sure that its even a limited time offer or anything. I think it's just like so many other Season Passes these days where you can just buy it anytime.

If they announce their first DLC and it looks really good, I suppose I might change my mind and pick it up then.

The Dude With Herpes on

• Options
    right

well i figure my backlog's huge enough already, but i look forward to picking this up soon-ish

in the first game i was always the one shooting things instead of building towers, so this is right up my alley

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    furthermore;

as this is my last day of finals, i think i'll spend the weekend playing a lot of the first game and exhausting/exploring its content before purchasing sanctum 2. i had a LOT of fun with sanctum, but i spent a very short number of hours playing overall.

RxI0N.png
  • Options
    I have Shogun 2, Sanctum 2, Anomaly 2, Dead Island Riptide, Monster Hunter Ultimate, Fire Emblem Awakening, Metro 2033 and Metro Last Light sitting at home. Fallen Enchantress: Legendary Heroes is dropping on the 22nd.

I need a vacation to catch up with my gaming :(

Capture.jpg~original
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Finally beat that Cliff Lodge map... Just a heads up, on the final wave, a boss comes tearing down the right side. By wave 3 or 4 you should have decent mazes set up, so by wave 9 you should have plenty of materials to build some walls to slow that asshole down. Because he will punch through your defenses like they're nothing... I also recommend for turrets:

Machine Gun
    Kairos(?) (the slow down one)
    ACP
    and something for Heavies (I used the Drone turret)

I had 2 MG turrets per side of the map, then one of each of the rest. You just gotta set em up so they compliment eachother. I tried to upgrade them all evenly, but definitely make sure the turrets on the left side are at max by the final wave. I was able to leave that side alone so I could focus on the boss.

Now the map after that...its some capital B capital S. You don't get to build any defenses before wave 1 starts, and it's a boss... Then you get 4 turret bases after that, and only two after a wave for the rest of the map... There are two free turret bases that you can repair out in the grassy field, and some kind of laser turret you can repair at the mouth of the enemy spawn. It was a tough map... Oh, and there's another boss at like wave 8 I think. It's a boss heavy walker and he's a dickhead. Bring a battle rifle.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited May 2013
    The latter map you're talking about; I found it best to just pepper the field with towers most of the waves, and let the enemies just filter through them. In the last few waves when you have more wall bases you can narrow it down a bit, but it's not worth trying to create any sort of narrow path so much with how few you are given that map.

The second boss of that map, its weak points are on the backside of it's legs, under him...it's kinda a pain in the ass; but it's also pretty easy to keep him occupied without really being in much danger yourself.

Two maps after that one (i think?)...enjoy. :( You are give so absurdly few credits per round you can barely rely on turrets at all. The only advice I can give for it; in the very center of the map there's a pipe that is facing toward you that has some orange emanations; that does damage. Set up walls so enemies have to path through there, putting a Kairos near it so they're slowed into it too. It does a substantial amount of damage (at least on normal, solo), and helps out a ton.

Also; I think it's the cliff lodge one you're talking about; if you have a map with one spawn point but several entry points like that, you can actually just straight up block off most of the paths and everything will only come out one way, including the boss.

The Dude With Herpes on