Options

[Metal Gear] Ground Zeroes footage in the OP. Fox Engine. Holy moly.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    I think I've said before, I love the cutscene from Twin Snakes (other than the infamous missile kick), the VO from the original, and the gameplay is solid on both versions.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Holy shit, the Achievements/Trophies are great

Especially Problem Solved, Series Over

I for one am so happy Sony aren't as anal about letting collections have multiple trophy lists (and that KojiPro/BluePoint put the time into doing them, unlike those morons over at Capcom). I imagine if Orange Box were ported to PS3 nowadays, it'd have 5 platinums and be awesome.

Also, can we not talk about Twin Snakes? That game is a broken piece of crap.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    I am surprised that the collection has 2000 points for 360

I'm guessing two discs, then? One for 2/3, the other for PW?

• Options
    mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    I think I've said before, I love the cutscene from Twin Snakes (other than the infamous missile kick), the VO from the original, and the gameplay is solid on both versions.

People are not wrong when they say that Twin Snakes broke the game balance/difficulty. It wasn't designed for the new abilities that you have, and they did the bare minimum to fit them in there. Or, not even.

But I don't care about that one bit. I'd rather have a nice, easy, and broken gameplay experience in Twin Snakes. It's fun.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    I am surprised that the collection has 2000 points for 360

I'm guessing two discs, then? One for 2/3, the other for PW?

I assume it's because PW was released seperate from the other two in Japan, so Microsoft just let it go through for the US and PAL releases as well. And no, the 360 release is 3 discs.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I never did finish Portable Ops (camera issues made it hard to get into). Is that going to be a problem jumping into Peace Walker, or is it mostly self-contained from that game?

It's a mostly self-contained game; you could go from Snake Eater to Peace Walker and just fill in the blanks, as there are few if any Portable Ops references. And control-wise I felt it was vastly superior to Portable Ops. I didn't mind using face buttons for camera control, but putting it to stick should be perfect.
    So, I've never played Peace Walker, as I didn't own a PSP. I know this game is pretty big on co-op, so a few questions...

1) Can the game still be enjoyed if you play most of it on single player?

Single player Peace Walker is viable, yes, and enjoyable as well. Co-op is fun to play though, and can definitely make some missions fast and easy.

Unless things have changed, most missions will be 2 player co-op, with Boss type battles being 4 player. There are even a few weapons to unlock that require co-op to use.

• Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    Just read through the achievements and now I'm super excited.

Battlefield 3, Arkham City, and Uncharted 3 will be getting even less love this week. Oh well, 3 day weekend coming up.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Professor SnugglesworthProfessor Snugglesworth Registered User regular
    I'm trying to look for a certain PW trailer that was released prior to the game. It was a long trailer (8 minutes?) of mostly gameplay, and had a part where they showed a gameplay segment against a boss. During this scene, the game's vocal theme was playing.

Anyone happen to know which trailer I'm looking for, and would kindly link it?

Also, got the e-mail my order shipped from Newegg. I got Uncharted 3 the day after its launch, so I should expect this on Wednesday.

• Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    Thanks to credit I've gotten from gift cards and what not, this will cost me a whopping $7 on Amazon.

• Options
    Still curious if Snake Eater is really going to run at 60 fps.

That game didn't run nearly as smooth as MGS2 (which, if I recall, was mostly 60 fps minus a few cutscenes), so I would be real impressed if they pulled it off.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    And no, the 360 release is 3 discs.

Pfffhahahaha

I mean, not in the usual sense, because disc swapping isn't an issue here, as they are all separate games

I just find it hilarious that these up-rezzed PlayStation 2 titles (and a PSP game) somehow each take up a full DVD

EDIT: Wait, how the fuck is that working? With a 500 Achievement point split between discs? That's...very strange.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    i like it because i can open the case and place MGS2 directly in the trash

• Options
    MGS2 > Every other MGS, deal with it

• Options
    edited November 2011
    UV you gotta hold some kinda record for world's worst opinions

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Yeah, throwing MGS2 in the trash may be a bit much, but its impossible for it to be the best MG game because MGS3 exists.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Mainly because Raiden > Snake

Takes so much out of Snake to take down a Hind D

Raiden's over here somersaulting around and taking out a Harrier jet and 25 Metal Gears without even breaking a sweat

MGS4 is a game exclusively about how lame and old Snake really is. Sometimes when shooting he'll even stop to hold his back in pain! Compelling

EDIT: Big Boss was pretty sweet though. But man I really hate like all of 3's boss battles

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    yeah, i'd much rather fight a fat dude on roller skates, that was badass!

• Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    story aside i think i had the most fun with MGS2's gameplay

i think most of it's in the setting, though... preferred big shell to the jungle

but hey i also vastly prefer the MGS1/2 camera/controls over the MGS4 controls

• Options
    edited November 2011
    yeah, i'd much rather fight a fat dude on roller skates, that was badass!

That fight was better than any of the boss fights in MGS3

Me too, Dehumanized. I also find it pretty impossible to play the Subsistence version of 3. I need that top-down camera.

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    Kuribo's ShoeKuribo's Shoe Kuribo's Stocking North PoleRegistered User regular
    How do you prefer the worst game in the series to the best one

And then prefer the worse version to the better one

My mind!

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    i really wish they'd put out MGS4 on 360 but i know that is unlikely. i have no idea what it's like.
    otherwise though MGS3 is easily the best. messing with camos, crawling through the jungle and swamp, eating frogs and watching boss snap his arm back into place. i spent way too much time collecting the camos and putting on just the right combo for the area i was in.
    meanwhile cut to MGS2 and it's all the same sterile hallways the whole game... yawn
    my personal loathing of MGS2 is having played it too many times.. i don't hate it i just never ever want to play it again

• Options

If you really think that 2 is worse than 4 then I just don't know what to tell you

4 is pretty much garbage through and through. I love MGS1 and 3 to death but prefer 2.

• Options
    i really wish they'd put out MGS4 on 360 but i know that is unlikely. i have no idea what it's like.
    otherwise though MGS3 is easily the best. messing with camos, crawling through the jungle and swamp, eating frogs and watching boss snap his arm back into place. i spent way too much time collecting the camos and putting on just the right combo for the area i was in.
    meanwhile cut to MGS2 and it's all the same sterile hallways the whole game... yawn
    my personal loathing of MGS2 is having played it too many times.. i don't hate it i just never ever want to play it again

That camo you get from The Sorrow breaks the game, and I love it!

I briefly had a PS3 once, with MGS4. I almost got all the way through it I think, what I did play, I loved! Its worth it for the
    return to Shadow Moses
    part alone. Especially the boss fight that happens there.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    messing with camos

This is what I really disliked about 3

If there is one thing that 4 improved on over 3, it was the invention of Octo Camo

Having to fiddle around in menus to get my camo percentage up a little bit just breaks up the pace and isn't very fun

• Options
    The 20 minutes of gameplay in 4 was better than the gameplay in 2, and the story was a little less retarded

But there was a lot more of it

Too close to call

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    MGS2's story is amazing

You probably just didn't get it! *nose to the sky*

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    MGS2's story is amazing

You probably just didn't get it! *nose to the sky*

I know I don't.

Did it even really happen...?

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    MGS2 still had the best version of the stealth camo. I used to love going into Euro Extreme and just fuck around with the AI, seeing how dumb and how smart they were. During a clearing, guards will hear if you bump your head in a locker. But they'll do the same thing if you lean up and knock on the locker too. I really liked that touch.

But then the later games had to go and fuck all that up. Stealth camo just gives 100% camo, but during an alert it drops to 99%. Which may as well be 0% since they can still see you a mile off. So, no more having fun with the AI.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    i really liked the bonus missions more in MGS2
    snake freaking out about godzilla is the best thing

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular

If you really think that 2 is worse than 4 then I just don't know what to tell you

4 is pretty much garbage through and through. I love MGS1 and 3 to death but prefer 2.

MGS2 is a rail shooter compared to 4. You have so many more options for sneaking and stealth it's not even funny.

I loved 4's story too, therefore I reject your reality and substitute my own!

• Options
    I loved 4. I didn't get the opportunity to play it until last year, but it was everything I could have wanted and more. But this is from a guy who's liked all the games equally for what they are, and doesn't mind the gameplay/cutscene ratio. So I'd probably be classified as a freak of nature or something.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    The gameplay in 4 was ace. The story wasn't even bad, but the length at which it is presented can just go eat a dick. They're all pretty much corny as shit at times. God damn it, Japan.

And 3 was the best. If you disagree you're wrong.

PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Options
    Metal Gear Solid 3 might be in the running for worst game in the series. Anybody who denies this is a silly goose.
    Metal Gear Solid 3 Subsistence, with the over-the-shoulder camera, now that may be the best game. :P

• Options
    LorkLork Registered User regular
    2 was by far the best of the games before 4 (don't have a PS3 so I never played it) simply because of the VR missions. Speaking of which, has anybody heard anything about whether they'll be included in this or not? I mean, it would be incredibly stupid if they weren't, but they are calling it "Sons of Liberty" and not "Substance", which worries me.

Steam Profile: Lork
  • Options
    Even though the expanded versions of both Metal Gear Solid 2 and 3 are included in this package. Not all the content from those original releases will be included in this package, below is a list of the original extra content confirmed for the HD Collection release:
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

VR Missions
    Snake Tales
    Alternative Missions
    Casting Theater

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance

3D Camera
    Metal Gear
    Metal Gear 2: Solid Snake

Missing Features

Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance

Skateboarding

The Document of Metal Gear Solid 2 (Although a separate title, it was with Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance in Europe)

Metal Gear Solid 3: Subsistance

Metal Gear Online (MGS3)
    Snake vs Monkey
    Secret Theater
    Duel Mode

• Options
    I wish they would throw in the document. I'd love to mess with that

xmassig2.gif
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    skateboarding noooooo

edit: good thing I have a BC PS3 and PS2 MGS2:Substance 8)

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SkyTurnsRedSkyTurnsRed Saint LouisRegistered User regular
    My order:

1 > 4 > 3 > 2. The ending of 4 is just... man. So good.

• Options
    I also would have loved it if they took the time to insert the two missing scenes from MGS2.
    the playable escape from the Tanker sequence (I believe the reason they took it out was because people couldn't figure out how to escape due to the fixed camera angles; ironically, we finally got something similar this year courtesy of Uncharted 3.

The destruction of New York once Arsenal Gear crashes into the harbor. This was taken out due to 9/11, but I always wonder if it actually went beyond the concept phase and was, indeed, a finished cutscene

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    Peace Walker beats all of your numbered games because they all lack the Human Slingshot. :P

Kidding aside, I'm kind of torn about PW. I have a rocking save already, but if I really want to get all the achievements and stuff I'll have to start over. I mean, it's a fun game and all and I probably won't mind doing it again, but having to rebuild my army is going to be kind of lame, especially with all the excellent troops I've found.