As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Metal Gear] Ground Zeroes footage in the OP. Fox Engine. Holy moly.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I hope some of them are retroactive, especially if the get into the realm of emblems. Because even though in hindsight doing a Big Boss run wasn't as horribly hard as I thought it would be... I still don't want to have to do that ever again.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    DirtyDirty Registered User regular
    There's no way they'll make any of them retroactive. If you imported your PSP save into the PS3 version of Peace Walker, trophies were disabled. Also, only MGS2-3 saves created after the Transfar patch (which came out months after the game) were usable for transferring trophies to the Vita version. Konami's attitude towards trophies in these games have been "fuck you, just start over." I expect the pattern to continue.

• Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    Plus, MGS4 saves weren't account locked, so there's no way Sony would let them make it retroactive. The only game I can think of that did award trophies retroactively was Warhawk and that was because they saved a lot of your progress on their servers.

I'll play through MGS4 on European Extreme again to get the trophies. I can remember a few spots giving me a lot of trouble but then again, I've 100%'d MGS2 (including VR Missions) 3-4 times now, so it'll probably be a relaxing cruise compared to that.

Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    I hope the trophies are more in line with Snake Eater's. They required a certain amount of dedication, but even people of average skill level could get a platinum if they were willing to spend enough time on it.

• Options
    MGS3 is one of the easiest trophy lists around, I really hope it's more challenging than that. Not hard or tedious enough to make you question your sanity but enough that it'll at least require some skill to do.

• Options
    Hey, getting those frogs while riding on a motorcycle is pretty damn tough. I feel like MGS2's trophies take it too far to the other extreme. Having to finish over 500 missions, with quite a few of them being ridiculously tough, and having to 1st rank at least 50 of them? Then having to beat the game multiple times, including on Extreme, to get all the dog tags? No thanks.

I think the sweet spot is somewhere in between, but I feel like that spot would be closer to MGS3 than 2.

• Options
    MGS2 was just boring and tedious. Finishing it 5 times and then going through all the super repetitive VR Missions (that completely lack the fun the MGS1 ones had). It got old fast. So yeah, I agree that that would be awful.

Somewhere in the middle would be nice. Something like Peace Walker, which had a couple of difficult ones (though not really difficult at all with co-op) but had a lot that just involved discovering easter eggs.

• Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    Trophy patch confirmed by Konami!:
    Long-awaited ‪#MGS‬ 4 Trophy patch is in development along with new game version supporting Trophies. More news to come!

• Options
    edited July 2012
    You didn't believe Kojima himself saying it in Famitsu?

Also, the budget release is coming out in Japan next month, so the patch should come out soon.

Unco-ordinated on
  • Options
    Double post but new info:
    Trophies aren't the only surprise feature Konami is readying for Metal Gear Solid 4. The game's new PS3 the Best budget version will also feature support for full data install. This means that rather than having the game install data at the start of each chapter, which is how the game currently works, you can opt to have the game do a full install at the start of play, and have no more installations for the rest of the game.

A listing at Konami Style for the budget version mentions both the Trophy support, which we first heard of via Famitsu yesterday, and the full install support, which wasn't mentioned in Famitsu's article.

The Konami Style listing says that the Trophy functionality will be offered as a patch to current users. It does not say this about the full install support. It's possible that the listing is just being vague about the patch, so we'll have to wait for Konami to make an official announcement.

The Konami Style listing says that the updated PS3 the Best budget version will be released in early August, priced ¥3,990 MSRP.
    http://andriasang.com/con1wk/mgs4_full_install/

Now let's hope that the patch adds that functionality too.

• Options
    Uh yes I would very much like that option.

• Options
    Confirmed:
    Kojima Productions has confirmed that Metal Gear Solid 4's upcoming patch will include not just Trophy support but full install functionality as well.

While the Trophy support was confirmed earlier, the wording at the official site suggested that the install functionality would be limited to the game's package re-release. This is not the case.

Select to give the game a full install, and you won't have to wait between chapters for data to be cached to your system's hard disc. This lengthy caching, which was accompanied by an image of Solid Snake smoking, was a major complaint by players.

The budget re-release that includes the new functionality will be released in early August. The patch will also be offered around this time.
    http://andriasang.com/con1wm

• Options
    ElderlycrawfishElderlycrawfish Registered User regular
    I've been meaning to replay 4, now theres 2 good reasons for it, nice. Go go full install.

• Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    Full install feature? Hell yes!

• Options
    Dark Raven XDark Raven X Laugh hard, run fast, be kindRegistered User regular
    edited July 2012
    Yes. YES.

Welp! Guess MGS4 is getting a plat replay from me.

Although, yeah, even a simple No Kill run will be pretty rough. Those vehicle sections are merciless on pacifists.

Dark Raven X on
    Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Man, guess it's time to upgrade my HDD.

• Options
    I have to wonder how big the full install will be.

• Options
    Renzo wrote: »
    I have to wonder how big the full install will be.

Going off the length of the initial and chapter installs, I'd guess around 10GB. People have been bringing up the total size of the game (30GB) but they're not going to restructure how the game works, so I think that's silly. They'll just install all the chapters at once.

• Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    They are also patching in the "Full Install" option along with the trophies. I only played through MGS4 once, and that was when I bought my PS3 in 2009. I think when the patch comes, it'll be time to give it another run.

• Options
    The patch is out in Japan and PAL regions. It's ~500MB and the full install is 9GB.

• Options
    Oh snap. I was wondering the other day when this thing was going to hit. Hopefully it's not too long for NA.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Booya, can't wait.

• Options
    The patch is out in NA.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    I'm probably gonna do a Naked Snake run. Uncharted and CoD have dulled my sneaking abilities...I'd rather just run and gun it than sneak it :P

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    I'm going for the chicken emblem first. This is going to be absurdly tedious.

• Options
    Shenl742Shenl742 Registered User regular
    Hmm...guess it's about time I actually went and beat MGS1, eh?

FC: 1907-8030-1478
  • Options
    Supposedly it'll take 8 playthroughs minimum to get the platinum on MGS4.

Muthafuckin' 8!

• Options
    Uh, why? D:

There aren't any trophies tied into emblems. Most time consuming would be the "watch all flashbacks" one, which requires no skipping of cutscenes.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    Here's the list: ps3trophies.org/game/metal-gear-solid-4-guns-of-the-patriots/trophies/

The only one that looks to be a pain is the one involving the corpse camo, which you get if you continue 51 times in a playthrough. Otherwise you should be able to get nearly everything in one perfect playthrough.

• Options
    edited August 2012
    Uh....guys. The Ipod songs are tied to the emblems. To get Snake Eater you gotta get all emblems.

lionheart_m on
    3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Oh son of a bitch.

Well. It says excluding password tracks. Maybe it means collect all the iPod songs physically found in game?

I mean. I hope. Seems silly to have something like this, but no shiny golden trophy for the Big Boss emblem.

Oh brilliant
  • Options
    edited August 2012
    They're basically killing two birds with one stone (all songs, all emblems). And yes, it has been confirmed, sadly. That's why I ain't even attempting it.

http://metalgear.wikia.com/wiki/IPod#Collectable_songs

lionheart_m on
  • Options
    And old saves cannot be used to get trophies. Gotta start fresh.

• Options
    Oh...balls.

No, he's right. Snake Eater song is gotten by getting all 40 emblems. And while you can knock a lot of them out in one go, there are also a bunch of ones that are stupidly exclusive. Various permutations of kills/alerts/continues.

Fuck, this sucks more than I thought. Especially since I have a save with a ton of emblems already.

• Options
    Yeah... working it out, it's 8 playthroughs minimum.

-Big Boss run, which knocks out a bunch of emblems by default
    -Chicken run, which does the same thing.

And then 6 more that are like I mentioned, every permutation of the following:

-Continues over/under 25
    -Kills over/under 250
    -Alerts over/under 75

So yeah... this one is going to suck. And it's all because of one iPod song.

• Options
    Werewolf2000adWerewolf2000ad Suckers, I know exactly what went wrong. Registered User regular
    Yeah... working it out, it's 8 playthroughs minimum.

-Big Boss run, which knocks out a bunch of emblems by default
    -Chicken run, which does the same thing.

And then 6 more that are like I mentioned, every permutation of the following:

-Continues over/under 25
    -Kills over/under 250
    -Alerts over/under 75

So yeah... this one is going to suck. And it's all because of one iPod song.

And that's if you remember to combine the Assassin emblem with one of the last six.

steam_sig.png
    EVERYBODY WANTS TO SIT IN THE BIG CHAIR, MEG!
  • Options
    FawstFawst The road to awe.Registered User regular
    And it's all because of one iPod song.

In all seriousness, this is fine for me. I played the game once. While I remember the broad strokes of the game, the story is completely forgotten. And since the game itself is actually pretty short without worrying about the cut scenes, I'm not too put off by playing it a bunch of times.

Also, I'm sure there are a billion "secret" things in the game that I've never once seen/heard about.

• Options
    You can change the radio on the Nomad with the Mark II's manipulator arm.

• Options
    SightTDWSightTDW Registered User regular
    Well there goes my excuse to not have played this yet. I went from inhaling any and all things Metal Gear, to putting off buying a PS3 for years and forgetting 4 ever existed.

Live - SightTDW | PSN - SightTDW | Nintendo Network - Wildschwein | 3DS - 1934-0834-9797
    Steam - Wildschwein | The Backlog
    Grappling Hook Showdown - Tumblr
  • Options
    Fawst wrote: »
    And it's all because of one iPod song.

In all seriousness, this is fine for me. I played the game once. While I remember the broad strokes of the game, the story is completely forgotten. And since the game itself is actually pretty short without worrying about the cut scenes, I'm not too put off by playing it a bunch of times.

Also, I'm sure there are a billion "secret" things in the game that I've never once seen/heard about.

The problem with this...is the Flashback Trophy. This one DEMANDS that you watch every damn cutscene in the game if you want to get every possible flashback.