As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

HTML and Beyond

wtfbingowtfbingo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
I consider myself pretty handy with the 1999-era HTML coding and can make a pretty mean site with it.

HOWEVER.

I am becoming painfully aware that not only is HTML morphing into something different, but different coding exists that is far more complex. HTML5, JavaScript, Pearl and all sorts of other things that are beyond me at this point... you know, aside from the copy-paste.

1) What are the key things I should learn for the web-development of today (my guess is an advanced HTML and some Javascript, no?)
2) Can anyone recommend any books that would be good tools to teach myself said coding methods? OR is this something I'd need to sign up and Small-Town Community College for?

wtfbingo on

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    Are you using CSS at all? That's pretty much a must these days for even basic design. I like the book CSS: The Missing Manual.

There's also dynamic Web page languages like PHP. You can use stuff like Wordpress to power your site instead of writing all of the PHP yourself if something like that fits your needs.

• Options
    wtfbingowtfbingo Los Angeles, CARegistered User regular
    I do not currently use CSS, per-se. I think one of the codes I use in my headers when I build sites (to eliminate the space, or "border", between the browser window and the main table) is CSS. I understand how it works, but I couldn't write it myself.

I like the idea of using Wordpress (someone built a site for one of the doctors I work for and I love using the "blog-as-a-page" idea). I did notice that they used a lot of PHP files for that and it seems like something that I should be able to pick up and use. I would really like to build the next incarnation of my personal site with Wordpress.

• Options
    NibCromNibCrom Registered User regular
    If Wordpress is something that would suit your needs, I would suggest finding a theme that you like, and then duplicating the theme and editing the duplicate theme to fit your needs.

Check out Firebug, a Firefox plugin. It really helps with editing. Fireftp is a good one too.

• Options
    DrFrylockDrFrylock Registered User regular
    Writing your own web pages from scratch is almost a non-starter these days given all the competent content management systems out there. Knowing enough HTML and CSS to make your own themes (or customize existing ones) is helpful.

• Options
    HypatiaHypatia Registered User regular
    I think it kind of depends on what you want to do.

If you're thinking that you just want to make static webpages and are happy with cutting/pasting/using what's already out there and just tweaking it, then CSS and catching up on HTML standards now are probably all you'll need.

If you're talking about really doing web development (backending to a DB, adding serious functionality, flash applications, animations, etc) then you'll need something on top of the CSS/HTML stuff, like PHP, Javascript, SQL, Actionscript, etc, depending on which of those you're wanting to focus on.

You don't really need to know php to tweak at/use Wordpress, you can get away with just CSS/HTML

• Options
    MichaelLCMichaelLC In what furnace was thy brain? ChicagoRegistered User regular
    CSS is pretty close in concept and implementation to HTML when you're at the Notepad level. That is, it still uses a lot of the same ideas- define font, define paragraph, etc., but makes it a lot easier to apply changes across multiple pages and change styles.

Take a look at the book, or the W3 site to see examples. Otherwise, yeah, an editor or site-builder like Wordpress seems to be be the way to go if you're not into learning a new language.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    I'm not sure what was going on in 1999-ville, but if it had anything to do with tables that shit is right out (and good riddance).

Hit up w3schools.com and learn the new standards. It shouldn't take you that long, especially if you're already familiar. You might also want to look at things like 960 grids and such.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    BarrakkethBarrakketh Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Derrick wrote: »
    Hit up w3schools.com
    Nope.

This is a much better resource. You could also look here, but I tend to use the MozDev site for JS references and not HTML stuff.

Barrakketh on
    Rollers are red, chargers are blue....omae wa mou shindeiru