As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PATV] Extra Credits s.3 ep.16 - The Uncanny Valley

BogeyBogey I'm back, baby!Santa Monica, CAModerator mod
edited November 2011 in The Penny Arcade Hub
pa_hero_extracredits16season3.png

Fitocracy: Join us in the SE++ group!
XBox LIVE: Bogestrom | Destiny
PSN: Bogestrom
Bogey on

Posts

  • DaveodethDaveodeth Registered User regular
    Awesome toejam remix at the end lads.

    Two and one-half badgers please. no, ill eat them here.
  • RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    I can't wait for Brave.

    I chuckled at "lame animation, awful voice acting..."

  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Season 1, episode 16.

  • GospreyGosprey Registered User regular
    30 Rock did it better.

  • WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    Gotta admit, I find the Uncanny Valley effect a very interesting quirk of human psychology.

    Sadly, therefore, this episode didn't really tell me anything new.

    Still interesting, though.

  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    I think Uncanny Valley in video games tends to be a much greater factor of animation than poly counts/texture resolution. It's something that seriously bothers me about almost all games I see in fact. Our own eyes don't actually see the world in very high resolution. Movement is probably our foremost tool for identifying what's human and what isn't. It's the whole reason L.A. Noire got it so right. They pulled the facial animations straight off the actors instead of trying to reproduce them. It's the reason Shadow of the Colossus is still jaw-dropping, even with the old PS2 textures. It's the reason Oblivion and Fallout 3 are best played in first-person (or you could just never walk diagonally).

  • PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Apparently I can't watch any PATV stuff. I hit play and it says "advertisement playing..." at the bottom, but the screen is all black. It worked a few days ago when I watched the newest Checkpoint.

  • blazah99blazah99 Registered User new member
    Did anyone else notice this was an old video from awhile ago that just made the cross over to patv? Well I cant say im not disappointed.
    With all the new tech available, like how google is working on the 3D map of the world tech, I wouldn't be surprised if the industry is tempted to try and use photo-realistic characters to compete. At the moment in my opinion the cost of creating these characters might still be to high, which of course would affect the budget of developing good gameplay mechanics, and maybe the aesthetics as well.
    Ultimately though I think that when the graphical limitations and cost of development are low enough the uncanny valley will be easily overcome, which will make for a wave of photo-realist games when that happens.

  • kesstunkesstun Registered User new member
    Peewi wrote:
    Apparently I can't watch any PATV stuff. I hit play and it says "advertisement playing..." at the bottom, but the screen is all black. It worked a few days ago when I watched the newest Checkpoint.

    I'm having the same problem ><

  • SonorkSonork CanadaRegistered User regular
    kesstun wrote:
    Peewi wrote:
    Apparently I can't watch any PATV stuff. I hit play and it says "advertisement playing..." at the bottom, but the screen is all black. It worked a few days ago when I watched the newest Checkpoint.

    I'm having the same problem ><

    same problem as well :(

  • HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    blazah99 wrote:
    Did anyone else notice this was an old video from awhile ago that just made the cross over to patv? Well I cant say im not disappointed.
    With all the new tech available, like how google is working on the 3D map of the world tech, I wouldn't be surprised if the industry is tempted to try and use photo-realistic characters to compete. At the moment in my opinion the cost of creating these characters might still be to high, which of course would affect the budget of developing good gameplay mechanics, and maybe the aesthetics as well.
    Ultimately though I think that when the graphical limitations and cost of development are low enough the uncanny valley will be easily overcome, which will make for a wave of photo-realist games when that happens.

    I noticed.

    Graphical limitations aren't really the problem at this point. The problem is processing power and read-write speeds. Huge texture maps don't really mean jack shit if you can't process them in a timely manner. Back at this year's QuakeCon, John Carmack was addressing this issue (specifically with regard to Rage). While he was talking about general graphics in the world, and not the realism of human faces, the whole thing he was discussing applies.

    The other issue we need to overcome for the uncanny valley is animation, and this is the biggie. It really is something that just needs lots of time if you want to do it right, and people don't want to spend the time on it. I kinda can't blame them. Every time a new engine is made for video games, everything has to start from scratch, model animation included (and this is ANOTHER thing John Carmack talked about in that keynote).

    So basically, he's figured out what we need to do, we just need the resources directed at it.

  • RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    What movie is that still from at 4:17?

    Every time someone talks about the uncanny valley, I think back to a star wars special comparing the effects in Clash of the Titans (1981) and Empire Strikes back. The documentary pointed out the the addition of motion blur and the inability to see certain parts clearly gave it a more realistic effect.

    This is also why I can't stand some of the newer LED televisions since they remove this and make everything seem alien.

  • Romantic UndeadRomantic Undead Registered User regular
    Sonork wrote:
    kesstun wrote:
    Peewi wrote:
    Apparently I can't watch any PATV stuff. I hit play and it says "advertisement playing..." at the bottom, but the screen is all black. It worked a few days ago when I watched the newest Checkpoint.

    I'm having the same problem ><

    same problem as well :(

    Add me to that list.

    Is it a regional thing?

    3DS FC: 1547-5210-6531
  • AurichAurich ArizonaRegistered User regular
    What movie is that still from at 4:17?

    Every time someone talks about the uncanny valley, I think back to a star wars special comparing the effects in Clash of the Titans (1981) and Empire Strikes back. The documentary pointed out the the addition of motion blur and the inability to see certain parts clearly gave it a more realistic effect.

    This is also why I can't stand some of the newer LED televisions since they remove this and make everything seem alien.

    Quite. I remember preferring to play my early 360 games on my SD television rather than my mate's HD, because the HD actually brought into focus hard edges on polygons and jaggies and whatnot. The first time I brought my 360 over to his house and fired it up, I was just about baffled at how my games looked uglier on his television.

  • halkunhalkun Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Sonork wrote:
    kesstun wrote:
    Peewi wrote:
    Apparently I can't watch any PATV stuff. I hit play and it says "advertisement playing..." at the bottom, but the screen is all black. It worked a few days ago when I watched the newest Checkpoint.

    I'm having the same problem ><

    same problem as well :(

    Add me to that list.

    Is it a regional thing?

    In my case it's my adbocker being a little militant. You need to wait for the ad to time out. I just hit play and switch to another tab for about two minutes. After a bit I'll switch back and the video proper has loaded with a play button over it.

    halkun on
  • agilemaniaagilemania Lyon EstatesRegistered User regular
    Or you could just disable your adblocker on *.penny-arcade.com

  • DidactDidact Registered User regular
    Uncanny valley...ness never really bothers me in video games where they try to make the characters look realistic. Doesn't really bother me too much in Spirits Within either...not that I like that movie. Maybe I've just grown accustom to it. Those robots still freak me the hell out though.

Sign In or Register to comment.