As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

good (free) video editing software

Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insultedwhen I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
edited November 2011 in Help / Advice Forum
Hey there, I'm looking for a free and preferably easy to use video editing software. Currently I'm using a free version of the AVS video editor, but unfortunately it will put a watermark on whatever I produce. Any recommendations?

Alfred J. Kwak on

• Options
    Skoal CatSkoal Cat Registered User regular
    Really doesn't exist man. What type of stuff are you trying to do?
    I got Sony Vegas for 70 something, which really, is awesome for the suite that it includes.

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I was thinking of mixing some video and sound clips together, nothing fancy

so, I guess I'd have to buy the software to do that?

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    Any chance you have a Mac?

• Options
    Alfred J. KwakAlfred J. Kwak is it because you were insulted when I insulted your hair?Registered User regular
    nope

• Options
    Its really going to be worth having good software. Depending on how quick you need it, I often see some sort of video editing suite for sale on Newegg's e-blast newsletter. I'd sign up for that.
    I went with the Sony Vegas suite because it also comes with a very good audio editor, not sure if you're interested in that sort of thing.

• Options
    EupfhoriaEupfhoria Registered User regular
    Skoal Cat wrote:

sorry to kinda hijack your thread here, but what are some good video editing programs for Mac?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TychoCelchuuuTychoCelchuuu PIGEON Registered User regular
    VirtualDub is free but it's not easy to use. Video editing in general isn't super simple.

• Options
    mtsmts Dr. Robot King Registered User regular
    depending on how crazy you want to get, imovie does a pretty good job

camo_sig.png
  • Options
    Eupfhoria wrote:
    Skoal Cat wrote:

sorry to kinda hijack your thread here, but what are some good video editing programs for Mac?
    mts wrote:
    depending on how crazy you want to get, imovie does a pretty good job

• Options
    edited November 2011
    VirtualDub is free but it's not easy to use. Video editing in general isn't super simple.

heh, I'll give it a try then. Otherwise, I might have to look into Sony Vegas. I'm not in a rush though.

Alfred J. Kwak on
  • Options
    defreakdefreak Registered User regular
    If you're just mixing video and audio, windows movie maker should be more than enough. That's what I'm using right now to make a sports highlight film.

• Options
    ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    defreak wrote:
    If you're just mixing video and audio, windows movie maker should be more than enough. That's what I'm using right now to make a sports highlight film.

I've actually found it to be satisfactory for small projects. Nothing too fancy, but I did a pretty nice instructional video with it for my customers, and I had zero video editing skills before that project.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    If it's just for a few things, Adobe Premiere has a 30-day trial.

• Options
    ah, thanks, I'll keep that in mind

• Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    Margarazzi wrote:
    defreak wrote:

I've actually found it to be satisfactory for small projects. Nothing too fancy, but I did a pretty nice instructional video with it for my customers, and I had zero video editing skills before that project.

Yeah, same here. I used Windows Live Movie Maker to do a quick video for work one time. Had no experience with this stuff before, but it came out pretty well for what it was.

• Options
    FantasmaFantasma Registered User regular
    The easiest way to put a logo on a video is using VirtualDub and the Logo Plugin.

Take a look at this video for a quick reference:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKPypXzpI7I

Hear my warnings, unbelievers. We have raised altars in this land so that we may sacrifice you to our gods. There is no hope in opposing the inevitable. Put down your arms, unbelievers, and bow before the forces of Chaos!