As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Kids, no not the movie, we're talking the real deal

• ThreeCubedThreeCubed Grandma Winky's fat ankles Registered User regular
    I'm not gonna get to meet my friends son. I was there since his inception, and now that she's 8 months along her baby daddy says he doesn't trust me. I'm crushed. :cry:

Whaaaaaaaaaaaat. Boo!!

EyQGd.jpg
  • JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Magarazzi, I shall send you nothing but adorable photos of my future child wearing penguin socks

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    If anyone wants a baby, just let me know. I have an extra.

• QuothQuoth the Raven Miami, FL FOR REALRegistered User regular
    I also have barely used the Baby Bjorn sling thing, my kid haaated it and now just tolerates it for short periods of time, he's a bit better with the baby K'tan sling but not much

Basically he hated being in it facing backward, but now that he can face forward it's not too bad

I also never used the bassinet... If your baby has reflux, I highly recommend the fisher price rock n play sleeper

Before I got that, the baby would only sleep on me and my god that was so dangerous what was I thinking

Also the little baby mittens, I got a bunch of those and never used them

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    It's amazing how much crap you buy with your first baby that you never use. By the time you have a second one, you know that all you need is diapers, clothes, aspirin, and vodka.

Quoth wrote:
    I also have barely used the Baby Bjorn sling thing, my kid haaated it and now just tolerates it for short periods of time, he's a bit better with the baby K'tan sling but not much

Basically he hated being in it facing backward, but now that he can face forward it's not too bad

I also never used the bassinet... If your baby has reflux, I highly recommend the fisher price rock n play sleeper

Before I got that, the baby would only sleep on me and my god that was so dangerous what was I thinking

Nevermind, I'm all better. No babies. Having to make decision on things like circumcision, cosleeping, and vaccines gets me all worked up just *thinking* about it.

EyQGd.jpg
  • PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I'm not sure about stuff we didn't use but as to stuff we did, our pack and play's bassinet had a thing in it that would vibrate the basket and that was goddamn magic for the first few months. Highly recommend. Also we tried each kind of carrier and my wife liked the Moby wrap best by a mile, for what that's worth. Also old school cloth diapers make bitchin burp clothes, get 1000.

Baby mittens are really only worth buying after birth if you know your kid is a scratcher

My little sister was a scratcher, those mittens saved her face from being too torn up (and people wondering what on earth could be wrong with my mother)

But even then, she really only wore them for a couple of weeks

I plan to use a sling to take the baby everywhere, but what type of sling I'm not sure.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I have heard nothing but good about diaper genies so we are definitely going to buy one of those.
    It's amazing how much crap you buy with your first baby that you never use. By the time you have a second one, you know that all you need is diapers, clothes, aspirin, and vodka.

Noted!

Good note about the sling thing and mittens. Any suggestions about cribs? Get just a "normal" crib? Or one of those that transforms into a toddler bed later. Likely just a crib since we plan on having more than one lump of dough with a butt-crack (one description of a baby I have heard)

Actually that brings up another good point. What, as a parent, did you want for YOU? (not for the baby)

Syphyre on
    One thing both my kids loved was the Bumbo. They loved being able to sit up in it and just kind of chill out on the couch.

Circumcision, never

Cosleeping, no (sleeping in the same room, okay)

Vaccines, yes

That's me, anyway

Diaper Genie works, but it gets expensive to keep replacing the liners. Also, when it comes time to change the liner out it is absolutely repulsively disgusting. I found it easier to just save wal-mart bags and put the diapers in those.

One thing both my kids loved was the Bumbo. They loved being able to sit up in it and just kind of chill out on the couch.

One thing EVERYONE has recommended to me has been the Bumbo

edited November 2011
    Janson wrote:

Also get a Boppy if you plan to breast feed. They really help keep you and the baby comfortable during feedings.

Oh, and get the Bumbo tray too. It's the perfect place to feed them when they are still a little too small for the high chair.

Raijin Quickfoot on
    Janson wrote:
    Circumcision, never

Cosleeping, no (sleeping in the same room, okay)

Vaccines, yes

That's me, anyway

Circumcision: I am a no, I just don't want to think about the argument I'll have if I marry a Jewish man
    Cosleeping: I know it's "wrong" but I come from a long line of mothers who coslept with all their babies, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that it's wrong.
    Vaccines: I don't have the time or energy to start that debate right now. I have to leave the house in the next few hours.

EyQGd.jpg
  • Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    Nice seeing someone who doesn't buy into the whole circumcision thing.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Quoth wrote:
    also there are babies who don't talk at a year and a half? i need to read up on these things, at that point i was speaking in complete sentences and reading dr seuss books

Well, he makes sounds and kinda-almost words.
    He also has the joy of learning 2 languages at once.
    He was born late July sooo I know he's over a year now, but because of his size and because he's fully mobile.. people expect sentences from him I guess??

skettios on
    Yeah, when Grayson was born I did a lot of research into circumcision. Both my boys are unsnipped.

I can't believe how completely uninformed I was about circumcision beforehand though.

I bought a well-reviewed graco crib from Walmart that was $150 with the mattress... Don't go blowing a ton of money on something the kid will use for a year or so

This crib converts to a toddler and full size bed so my bases are covered but $300+ for a crib is nuts

I actually haven't used the pack n play since getting his sleeper, so not sure that's vital either, especially not right away

My big ticket items will be:

Quality dual breast pump

Car seat (can't skimp on that!)

Sling (well, not all of these are expensive)

and probably the stroller

I think my boss has a crib for us, I'll have to double-check with her, but that's what I heard last time she mentioned it. Would be great if it's true!

Oh, and a dresser that can double as a changing table (it seems like too much money to buy both individually)

My Mom bought us a crib and matching changing table. The changing table ended up being used as storage and we just changed the kid on the bed pretty much every time. This is dangerous though because you never know when that sucker is going to go off.

• skettiosskettios Enchanted ForestRegistered User regular
    All babies be different!
    I was potty trained as soon as my folks tried. Basically, once I realized I didn't have to sit in my shit, I was outta there.
    However, I didn't talk for a long time.
    My sisters were the opposite! Chatty but took longer to potty train

My kid is circumsized, but to each his own

One thing I now say whenever someone tells me "I did X with my kids and nothing happened to them": yeah, and you've got pretty good odds of surviving Russian roulette, too!

• Jacques L'HommeJacques L'Homme BAH! He was a rank amateur compared to, DR. COLOSSUS!Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    Circumcision, never

Good on you! Everyone here thinks I'm crazy, but that what you get for living around hicks.

Margarazzi wrote:
    Circumcision: I am a no, I just don't want to think about the argument I'll have if I marry a Jewish man
    Cosleeping: I know it's "wrong" but I come from a long line of mothers who coslept with all their babies, so I'm having a hard time wrapping my mind around the idea that it's wrong.
    Vaccines: I don't have the time or energy to start that debate right now. I have to leave the house in the next few hours.
    Cosleeping I don't have too much of a problem with, it's just not for me. I have sleep apnea and am a heavy sleeper anyway, I would be constantly terrified of rolling over onto my poor baby
    Janson wrote:

Also get a Boppy if you plan to breast feed. They really help keep you and the baby comfortable during feedings.

Oh, and get the Bumbo tray too. It's the perfect place to feed them when they are still a little too small for the high chair.

Noted! Thanks! And yes, also heard great things about the Boppy.
    Magus` wrote:
    Nice seeing someone who doesn't buy into the whole circumcision thing.

It's very much an American thing, pretty much everyone in Europe is unsnipped

The main thing I learned about circumcision is that it really makes no difference and if you want to do it, go ahead.

Circumcision is like telling your son you don't trust him to keep his junk managed. Not a nice thing to say!

See, I wasn't going to get a changing table but my mom bought me one and I love it

Looove it

No room for a dresser though

• XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Janson wrote:
    My big ticket items will be:

Quality dual breast pump

Car seat (can't skimp on that!)

Sling (well, not all of these are expensive)

and probably the stroller

I think my boss has a crib for us, I'll have to double-check with her, but that's what I heard last time she mentioned it. Would be great if it's true!

Oh, and a dresser that can double as a changing table (it seems like too much money to buy both individually)

Get one of those big ass jogging strollers. We LOVE and I mean LOVE ours. It can go over any terrain and the wheels never turn in crazy angles that make a lot of strollers impossible to push. We have a little $10 stroller for when we know we're only going to the mall or something and the big stroller for everywhere else.

The main thing I learned about circumcision is that it really makes no difference and if you want to do it, go ahead.

This is also what I learned

Potty training has been a hassle with Grayson. He gets the idea, but he doesn't ever tell you when he needs to go. We're getting there but I hope to God Morgan is easier.

I swear I've also read studies that say circumcision has a chance of decreased sensation or something on that level.

I may be misremembering.

• PeenPeen Registered User regular
    The dresser that doubles as a changing table is clutch but we already had a long low dresser for her so we just bolted a changing pad to the top of it and voila, changing table.

Also there is absolutely no compelling reason not to vaccinate your kids and many many good ones. This should not be a debate.

We vaccinate our kids though we've fallen behind a bit because of moving so much recently.

• SyphyreSyphyre A Dangerous Pastime Registered User regular
    WHO is actually recommending circumcision in general, but they're thinking of 3rd world nations most likely.

Vaccines? Absolutely.

Please tell me the whole anti-vaccination thing has died by now.

So stupid.

I have what is basically a travel system, graco snug ride 30 or something like that, I like it... The stroller is big but easy to open and shut

Also I got the Ameda pump because it's a closed system and can be resold if I want, unlike the medela ones

skettios wrote:
    All babies be different!
    I was potty trained as soon as my folks tried. Basically, once I realized I didn't have to sit in my shit, I was outta there.
    However, I didn't talk for a long time.
    My sisters were the opposite! Chatty but took longer to potty train

Same! I was remarkably easy to potty train.

I'm going to attempt to use cloth diapers... we shall see how successful I am! There is a diaper service near us that provides the diapers and takes away the dirty ones and washes them for you for $20 a week.
    Quoth wrote:
    See, I wasn't going to get a changing table but my mom bought me one and I love it

Looove it

No room for a dresser though
    Hey, if a relative were to buy me one, I certainly wouldn't complain!

It's just, we WILL need a dresser. Mori and I have already filled up all our drawers/available closet space with our own clothes. And as space will be limited, if the dresser can be doubled as a changing table, that sounds ideal to me.

This discussion has been closed.