As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario series] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I still don't know why, but I didn't like Galaxy 2 that much. I still can't figure it out, because by all means it was a better game than Galaxy 1, and I liked that one a lot. So I don't know, I just couldn't get as excited about it as Galaxy 1. Maybe because it was pretty much an expansion pack more than anything. *shrug*

I found Galaxy 2 to feel less magical than galaxy 1. Is that the right term? Galaxy 1 had this whole new experience about it. Galaxy 2 while expanding upon that and being every bit brilliant in its own right (and it was) and less of that fresh brand new experience.
    I wouldn't quite call it an expansion pack though.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    I don't have any problems with how Mario & Luigi handle. They definitely don't jump as far as they did in previous games, but the levels never demand that you jump further than either of them are able, so I really feel that is a non issue. I wouldn't be surprised if their jumping distance was cut down due to the small screen format of the game, and the fact it's hard enough to judge precision jumps in 3D space the way it is. It is a little disappointing that both of the backflip jumps serve no purpose as they don't go any higher than a regular jump, but whatever.

Sometimes it gets me when I need to move out of the way really quickly, like in a Boom Boom battle, and I forget myself. =P
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    Problem is, it's tough to think of another character who has the same abilities as Mario and Luigi, without an expected moveset of their own. Might have been a good opportunity to introduce one, though.

They could use Wario and Waluigi if Waluigi wasn't so ridiculously tall (he'd be taller than Bowser if he could just straighten his legs).

Except that Wario doesn't play anything like Mario, and is about twice as wide. Even in Super Mario 64 DS, he was an entirely different beast to use (loved being able to throw King Bob-omb halfway across the level, though).
    skeldare wrote: »
    While out and about today, I stopped into some random corner convenience store, and spotted the most adorable little Bob-omb candy container. It's just some cheap-o dollar item, and the candy is probably ho-hum. But I just had to grab the thing on pure instinct. and god damn does this little dude look bad-ass sitting on my desk. 8->

Was it this?

51jrqsXfKxL._SL500_.jpg

I saw those a while back.

I had one of those in my tool belt for my Mario cosplay last year.

Here I am attempting to use it on a Heat Man cosplayer.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Ugh, I really hope Gamecube games show up on the Wii's eShop.

Unfortunately Super Mario Sunshine's controls rely so much on the analog triggers of the Gamecube controller that it may not be possible.

Doesn't the Wii U controller have those? I was under the impression that it's similar to the classic controller for Wii and that certainly feels like it has analog shoulder buttons.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    While out and about today, I stopped into some random corner convenience store, and spotted the most adorable little Bob-omb candy container. It's just some cheap-o dollar item, and the candy is probably ho-hum. But I just had to grab the thing on pure instinct. and god damn does this little dude look bad-ass sitting on my desk. 8->

Was it this?

51jrqsXfKxL._SL500_.jpg

I saw those a while back.

When I went to my country's capital to take the Japanese Language Proficiency Test, they had one of those at a convenience store and I had to buy it because it looks so cool. Turns out it saved my life later, because my blood sugar levels started to drop for no reason (I'm diabetic), so I resorted to have a tiny lick with the tip of my tongue, which resulted in my sugar levels going back to a respectable level, which was good for the test, since I got the best score out of any of the people from my class =D

• Options
    Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    I bought New Super Mario Bros 2 and have 87 lives at the start of World 3. Why does this game even have lives. Anyone who needs this many lives should not play video games.

• Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    There is a reward for maxing out lives in that game.

3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    Peewi wrote: »

Unfortunately Super Mario Sunshine's controls rely so much on the analog triggers of the Gamecube controller that it may not be possible.

Doesn't the Wii U controller have those? I was under the impression that it's similar to the classic controller for Wii and that certainly feels like it has analog shoulder buttons.

The Classic Controller has analog shoulder buttons.

The Classic Controller Pro does not.

I haven't paid much attention to the Wii U's pro controller so I don't know what's going on there.

More importantly I was referring to the Gamecube's Analog + Click shoulder triggers.

maximumzero on
    FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I bought New Super Mario Bros 2 and have 87 lives at the start of World 3. Why does this game even have lives. Anyone who needs this many lives should not play video games.

Tradition.

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE

Okay that intro is super clever.

"Rather than kidnapping Princess Peach we're just gonna chuck Mario & his gang miles away."

FU7kFbw.png
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    That trailer was amazing. New music, finally! And the visuals are amazing, I knew Nintendo would go nuts with an HD system.

• Options
    QuicalQuical Registered User regular
    Still Yellow and Blue Toads though. Sigh. Oh well!
    Game looks amazing. I'm torn between this and Rayman Legends at launch!

Nnnnghhh.

NNID: Quical
    STEAM: Quical
    Check out my youtube channel, maybe subscribe?: NerdAndOrGeek
  • Options
    I'm calling it now. Unlockable characters, first one will be Peach.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Turkey wrote: »

That would be a great way to kick off the online service. Nintendo better have learned that gamers hate on-disc DLC though. :)

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Turkey wrote: »

That would be a great way to kick off the online service. Nintendo better have learned that gamers hate on-disc DLC though. :)

Who said anything about DLC?

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    Quical wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaXwjoI2as

I don't know what you're talking about.

What we need is a proper sequel. The Galaxies were excellent side-games, but Nintendo really needs to get back to pushing the series forward.

• Options
    V FactionV Faction Registered User regular
    Gosh... NSMBU feels really special. The music was delectable.

Nintendo Network ID: V-Faction | XBL: V Faction | Steam | 3DS: 3136 - 6603 - 1330
    Pokemon White Friend Code: 0046-2121-0723/White 2 Friend Code: 0519-5126-2990
    "Did ya hear the one about the mussel that wanted to purchase Valve? Seems like the bivalve had a juicy offer on the table but the company flat-out refused and decided to immediately clam up!"
  • Options
    jothki wrote: »
    Quical wrote: »
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JTaXwjoI2as

I don't know what you're talking about.

What we need is a proper sequel. The Galaxies were excellent side-games, but Nintendo really needs to get back to pushing the series forward.

This sentence confuses me greatly.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    I knew that Nintendo would work some sort of amazing witch-craft when they got their hands on an HD system.

That NSMBU trailer was fantastic.

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
  • Options
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    I'm no longer worried about lag at all after seeing that.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    I'm guessing this is some new co-op setup, where one player is controlling Mario and the other is throwing out blocks to help.

Which sounds awesome.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    This sounds like the natural successor to Co-star mode from the Galaxy games.

• Options
    Is it wrong that I'm already trying to envision how to take advantage of this in a single player environment? A stylus being manipulated by feet will likely be involved.

...Or it would probably be easier just to play with the tablet directly. But clearly not as challenging.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    Is it wrong that I'm already trying to envision how to take advantage of this in a single player environment? A stylus being manipulated by feet will likely be involved.

...Or it would probably be easier just to play with the tablet directly. But clearly not as challenging.

Are you a monkey?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Are you a monkey?

We descended from them. Might as well put those recessed genes to use.

• Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited September 2012

Are you a monkey?

We didn't descend from monkeys, we have a common ancestor :P

RockinX on
  • Options
    RockinX wrote: »

Are you a monkey?

We didn't descend from monkeys, we have a common ancestor :P

But what if his grandfather was a monkey?

Cranky_Kong_New.jpg

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    edited September 2012
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQHa4qindfE

Okay that intro is super clever.

"Rather than kidnapping Princess Peach we're just gonna chuck Mario & his gang miles away."

I like it; now, instead of starting at Peach's castle, it's the goal.

...but will it be the end?

Much as I like NSMB2, it really feels like U is where Nintendo is bringing their A game developers.

I just hope they added an attack (like a tail swat) to the Squirrel Suit from when I last played it...

And did anyone notice the custom Koopaling airships? And Roy carrying a Bullet Bill Bazooka on his shoulders?

And Miis in the background?

So much stuff...

Also, some more footage from Europe's Nintendo Direct:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRE2aWD8d48

LBD_Nytetrayn on
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Playing NSMB2 I keep trying to shake my 3DS to do the twist jump to get a little extra distance. Then I fall in a pit. :P

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Holy shit.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/15/nintendo-says-the-koopalings-arent-related-to-bowser/
    Legendary video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed in the latest edition of Game Informer magazine that those loveable Koopalings aren’t actually related to Bowser at all. Miyamoto confirmed that Bowser’s only child is Bowser Jr, but he confessed he has absolutely no idea who the mother is.

“Our current story is that the seven Koopalings are not Bowser’s children. Bower’s only child is Bowser Jr. and we don’t know who the the mother is.”

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    Holy shit.

http://mynintendonews.com/2012/09/15/nintendo-says-the-koopalings-arent-related-to-bowser/
    Legendary video game designer Shigeru Miyamoto has revealed in the latest edition of Game Informer magazine that those loveable Koopalings aren’t actually related to Bowser at all. Miyamoto confirmed that Bowser’s only child is Bowser Jr, but he confessed he has absolutely no idea who the mother is.

“Our current story is that the seven Koopalings are not Bowser’s children. Bower’s only child is Bowser Jr. and we don’t know who the the mother is.”

...that just raises further questions! /hermesconrad

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    Brainiac 8Brainiac 8 Don't call me Shirley... Registered User regular
    Also recent art assets show that Bowser Jr is in NSMBU.

BowserJr.U.jpg

3DS Friend Code - 1032-1293-2997
    Nintendo Network ID - Brainiac_8
    PSN - Brainiac_8
    Steam - http://steamcommunity.com/id/BRAINIAC8/
    Add me!
  • Options
    Brainiac 8 wrote: »
    Also recent art assets show that Bowser Jr is in NSMBU.

BowserJr.U.jpg

I was actually really surprised that he wasn't in NSMB2.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Yeah, same here. I guess because he got the entire first game to himself?

Now I'm sort of trying to figure out what the deal is with the Koopalings. Are they just hired goons? Apprentices? Related to Bowser in some other way? Clones? Magical mutations?

I used to think Bowser was king because he was sort of special, but having all these other Koopa Kids who aren't his children sharing similar traits seems to throw that right out.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    The kids need wands to do anything. Bowser is a force of nature before he starts messing with powers and such.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    FerquinFerquin Snorlax Renton, WA, USARegistered User regular
    edited September 2012
    I keep thinking Bowser Jr. is just Baby Bowser but with that stupid bib. Just like how Baby Mario and Luigi can seemingly co-exist together with their grown-up counterparts.

As for the Koopalings, maybe they're adopted? Bowser treats them like his kids, that is to say, they sure take after Bowser in many ways so he probably raised them as his protegés.

Ferquin on
    Ferquin N.C. Root
  • Options
    In the case of Baby Mario and Baby Luigi, they did team up with their adult counterparts through time travel. Baby Bowser did, too, and fought against his older self another time.

@King Riptor: Ludwig can breathe fire, at least.

Speaking of the wands, I wonder how they got those back... did they steal them from the kings again?

• Options
    iOS rip-offs are usually not that unsual, but I just thought I'd post this most blatent one of Super Mario 3D Land.

http://www.modojo.com/news/3d_cartoon_land_safari_for_iphone_blatantly_rips_off_super_mario_3d_land/

mzl.pqsheulm.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.fsyodiof.320x480-75.jpg

mzl.skmkofct.320x480-75.jpg
    If Nintendo won't release its games on the App Store, others will...sort of. The most recent offender is seller Jiang Zhi, whose iPhone title, 3D Cartoon Land: Safari, bears a striking resemblance to Nintendo's own Super Mario 3D Land. We'll go so far to say it's the most shameless rip-off we've seen in mobile.

The game's hero, decked out in Mario garb, explores a world similar to the Mushroom Kingdom, collecting gold coins, jumping onto flagpoles and avoiding enemies that look almost exactly like goombas and koopa troopas (known as angry tortoises). The developer even "borrowed" the propeller block from 3D Land.

Suffice to say, it's only a matter of time before Nintendo files a complaint. That said, don't expect to see 3D Cartoon Land on iOS for long.

We don't recommend downloading this game, but if you're curious...

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I'm actually kind of impressed at that. Or maybe it just looks good and plays like shit. That's always possible.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282