As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Mario series] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Galaxy 1 had the better story, at least as far as stories in Mario games go. I didn't really like the hub world though, but really enjoyed the map system in Galaxy 2. Also: Yoshi rules.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    Unless they were to release an HD version of Galaxy 2, I'll probably never play it. I keep hearing the platforming and stuff is better, but the original was an experience for me.

Especially Rosalina's story, which was based on my favorite book as a child. :cry:

• Options
    Turkey wrote: »
    Unless they were to release an HD version of Galaxy 2, I'll probably never play it. I keep hearing the platforming and stuff is better, but the original was an experience for me.

Especially Rosalina's story, which was based on my favorite book as a child. :cry:

Why wouldn't you want to play a sequel to a great game?

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    I totally forgot Rosalina isn't even in Galaxy 2. I don't understand that (but hell, I don't understand how the story could be an alternate universe version of the first game's story... like they weren't even trying)

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    edited November 2012
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    I totally forgot Rosalina isn't even in Galaxy 2. I don't understand that (but hell, I don't understand how the story could be an alternate universe version of the first game's story... like they weren't even trying)
    She actually is

At the end, if you get all 240 stars

skeldare on
    Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    Oh, yeah I was too lazy to do that. It's kind of sad but for some reason I just didn't have the desire to keep playing much after beating it. I think there's a couple levels I didn't even play which is kind of bad considering I'm usually OCD about that stuff.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    skeldare wrote: »

When it was coming out I didn't have a Wii, then by the time I got one I heard about the lack of Rosalina, or even an acknowledgement the original even happened. Those were my favorite elements of the original, and I'm not sure if "more challenge" would be enough to cancel the lack of those things.

• Options

When it was coming out I didn't have a Wii, then by the time I got one I heard about the lack of Rosalina, or even an acknowledgement the original even happened. Those were my favorite elements of the original, and I'm not sure if "more challenge" would be enough to cancel the lack of those things.

But Yoshi!

210px-YoshiMarioParty9.png

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Hmm, I have been wanting to use Yoshi in a 3d game (Sunshine doesn't count!). Does the game have cutscenes and amazing music again?

Oh god, I just remembered the ending of the first one. When Luma waves goodbye I made the most D: face ever.

• Options
    Hmm, I have been wanting to use Yoshi in a 3d game (Sunshine doesn't count!). Does the game have cutscenes and amazing music again?

Oh god, I just remembered the ending of the first one. When Luma waves goodbye I made the most D: face ever.

Unfortunately the story is more basic than in the first, so there really isn't much in the way of cutscenes. Definitely great music and Yoshi plays great.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Ah what the hell, I'll see if I can grab it on a sale or something during the holidays.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Last issue of Nintendo Power
    2378716-62XJ6_super.jpg

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    RockinXRockinX Registered User regular
    edited November 2012

Unfortunately the story is more basic than in the first, so there really isn't much in the way of cutscenes. Definitely great music and Yoshi plays great.
    Yeah, the Slider theme remix is amazing. The song from Throwback Galaxy also sounds great.

And overall I liked the soundtrack better than in the first Galaxy.

RockinX on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    So NSMB U is great. Really digging that all the Koopalings (so far, haven't gotten to Ludwig) have brand-new attacks. Boom-Boom got recycled a few too many times, but at least it didn't quite reach the Reznor silliness in NSMB 2.

Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    cloudeagle wrote: »
    So NSMB U is great. Really digging that all the Koopalings (so far, haven't gotten to Ludwig) have brand-new attacks. Boom-Boom got recycled a few too many times, but at least it didn't quite reach the Reznor silliness in NSMB 2.

I'm having a hard time getting into NSMBU, which is strange because I blew through NSMB2 and when it was over I was bummed that it was, well, over.

I think maybe with NSMBU I'm waiting to get at least one person to play along before I really enjoy it.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options

I'm having a hard time getting into NSMBU, which is strange because I blew through NSMB2 and when it was over I was bummed that it was, well, over.

I think maybe with NSMBU I'm waiting to get at least one person to play along before I really enjoy it.

I seem to be better at playing the NSMB games on a handheld. Playing this on the gamepad seems to help me.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

After accidentally hurling my wife into a pit at a party I don't think I'll ever be able to get anyone to play with me again.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

After accidentally hurling my wife into a pit at a party I don't think I'll ever be able to get anyone to play with me again.

It was an accident....right..... :D

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options

Taken out of context, I could understand. :D

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    agoaj wrote: »
    Last issue of Nintendo Power
    2378716-62XJ6_super.jpg

Sad. I vaguely remember pawing through the first issue when I was a kid, with the claymation style smb2 cover.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular

Pity Miyamoto hates your childhood. =(

Regarding the NSMB2 Classic Gold Pack, man, I just want them to do an updated Super Mario All-Stars like this. Heck, that would have rocked for a 25th anniversary release.

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular

Regarding the NSMB2 Classic Gold Pack, man, I just want them to do an updated Super Mario All-Stars like this. Heck, that would have rocked for a 25th anniversary release.

Use the NSMB U engine to update All Stars + World. I would pay all my monies for that.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    SeolSeol Registered User regular
    In NSMBU - Is there any way to identify which levels contain secret exits? Like, in SMW the levels with multiple exits had red dots instead of yellow. I don't want any spoilers as to which levels... unless, of course, it's something the game wants me to know.

• Options
    LBD_NytetraynLBD_Nytetrayn TorontoRegistered User regular
    Seol: Nope! And there's actually a pretty good reason for that. Each world has at least one, though.

I'll give you a spoilered hint as to the first such instance; you can then choose to look at it, and if you do and manage to find it (the exits are extremely well hidden), you'll soon see why.
    Acorn Plains-2

qjWUWdm.gif1edr1cF.gifINPoYqL.png
    Like Mega Man Legends? Then check out my story, Legends of the Halcyon Era - An Adventure in the World of Mega Man Legends on TMMN and AO3!
  • Options
    Ain't that the truth. I just started World 8 and I think I found just two of the secret exits by myself.

• Options
    So, the NSMB U Star Road. Sweet Christ. I think I've literally died on "Run For It" 40 times now.

• Options
    Blackbird SR-71CBlackbird SR-71C Registered User regular

Use the NSMB U engine to update All Stars + World. I would pay all my monies for that.

Yes to All Stars, no to World.

They haven't been able to capture the Super Mario World Spirit since, so I'd much rather it'd not be ruined by being ported into the overly bright and flashy New Super Mario Bros. engine.

steam_sig.png
    Steam ID: 76561198021298113
    Origin ID: SR71C_Blackbird

• Options
    So, the NSMB U Star Road. Sweet Christ. I think I've literally died on "Run For It" 40 times now.

Took me quite a few tries but I actually managed to finish it and get all the star coins.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular
    Ok rock candy mines second fortress was unexpected I feel like they had the idea to do this pretty early and just said fuck it and did boom boom instead.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    Ok rock candy mines second fortress was unexpected I feel like they had the idea to do this pretty early and just said fuck it and did boom boom instead.

I was hoping there would be a variety of bosses a la Yoshi's Island.

At least it wasn't Boom Boom every time.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options

I was hoping there would be a variety of bosses a la Yoshi's Island.

At least it wasn't Boom Boom every time.

Better than the NSMB2 bosses by a mile.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options

Yes to All Stars, no to World.

They haven't been able to capture the Super Mario World Spirit since, so I'd much rather it'd not be ruined by being ported into the overly bright and flashy New Super Mario Bros. engine.

I don't know about that NSMB as a series has bland repetitive music and a boring art design balanced by good gameplay and level design. WiiU even has an overworld map that's pretty sweet
    Seems pretty spot on to me.

• Options
    Yeah, I love the world map of NSMBU.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
  • Options
    It collects some of the best parts of 3 and worlds maps then throws some cool twists. I really only have one complaint about the game and its that you can basically stunlock every boss. Which is a pity because the koopalings all have interesting fights.

• Options
    jothkijothki Registered User regular
    About the NSMBU secret levels:
    It's a pity that most of them just take you to other worlds. The only one that I've found that actually leads to or does something interesting is in World 6.

I really wish that world maps were more complex in general. Someone needs to recruit the EYEZMAZE guy and have him do world design.

• Options
    agoajagoaj Top Tier One FearRegistered User regular
    Indie DLC packs would be pretty great. Coin Rush levels made by Team Meat, Terry Cavanagh, the IWBTG guy...

ujav5b9gwj1s.png
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    So I was in Toys R Us tonight looking at the iPad cases as my girlfriend had seen one she liked a few weeks back.

Turns out it wasn't on sale anymore, so that sucks. (I can probably get a coupon code and buy straight from the manufacturer for less anyway.)

But what I did notice was Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story in the case.

I didn't know either game was still in print, particularly Partners in Time. I have Superstar Saga but never finished it...is it worthwhile playing the other two entries?

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    At the very least Bowser's Inside Story. Partners in Time is the worst of the three, but that's not saying it's a bad game at all, since the worst M&L is definitely better than the best of some other games.

• Options
    So I was in Toys R Us tonight looking at the iPad cases as my girlfriend had seen one she liked a few weeks back.

Turns out it wasn't on sale anymore, so that sucks. (I can probably get a coupon code and buy straight from the manufacturer for less anyway.)

But what I did notice was Mario & Luigi: Partners in Time and Bowser's Inside Story in the case.

I didn't know either game was still in print, particularly Partners in Time. I have Superstar Saga but never finished it...is it worthwhile playing the other two entries?

I would. Partners in Time may not be the best, but it's still a pretty decent game. Especially if it's a good price.

Nintendo Console Codes
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA