As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Good luck finding the Pizza Planet truck. [BRAVE]

• Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    It just goes to show you the high expectations people have for Pixar

I mean, look how Cars 2 got savaged

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Yeah but that's because it was Cars 2

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    It just goes to show you the high expectations people have for Pixar

I mean, look how Cars 2 got savaged

Who wanted a Cars 2

Fuck Cars

I'd rather have Incredibles 2

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    I have a speech prepared for whenever someone asks me about Cars 2.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    BucketmanBucketman Call me SkraggRegistered User regular
    Veretas wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    How many people
    Called/texted their moms after the movie?

Guilty.

Ahahahaha fuck that noise

It just gave me all the more reason to never talk to her again.

• Options
    MrDapper wrote: »
    I have a speech prepared for whenever someone asks me about Cars 2.

Here is mine "I like Owen Wilson as an actor, but his voice is somewhat grating to me. I hate Larry the Cable Guy. I am not a person who is impressed by seeing a model of car I know about in a movie. Cars is the worst thing for me."

Whats yours?

• Options
    HuxleyHuxley Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    Im starting to think I just can't notice 3d, because it looked like a regular digital film to me.

It was incredible though, and oh my god that short

This is a thing, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoblindness

If you also have never seen a 3-d hidden image or the 3DS just makes the screen blurry, welcome to the club.

Huxley on
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Huxley wrote: »
    Im starting to think I just can't notice 3d, because it looked like a regular digital film to me.

It was incredible though, and oh my god that short

This is a thing, by the way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stereoblindness

If you also have never seen a 3-d hidden image or the 3DS just makes the screen blurry, welcome to the club.

Well, it's like

When the 3d green line trailer things come up, I notice all of those, and all the really really obvious ones.

but when it's a movie in motion, nothing ever seems different.

• Options
    Also it's always been extremely frustrating to me when critics review pixar movies as if the studio exists in a vacuum

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    Also it's always been extremely frustrating to me when critics review pixar movies as if the studio exists in a vacuum

It practically used to, though. Times have changed though and many new studios have started since then.

BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    Cars had a somewhat interesting premise, race car has to slow down. Cars 2 is a movie where the plot of a sitcom is stretched to it's limit. The conflict is no more then "Guy tells unbelievable but true story, no one believes him, repeat for almost two hours." The spy main plot is cliché as hell but not knowingly so. The two spy characters are pretty shallow (especially since one is supposed to be a love interest) but they look amazing next to the racers. We don't know anything about them other they are foreign and like to race. Mater learns a horrible lesson too, which is basically "be yourself, no matter if you endanger your friends and their dreams." Also it may seem stupid to argue over the fiction of a world with talking cars, but Cars 2 makes me think of how weird the Cars world is. For instance hey mention being made in factories which means that there are factories where cars make cars.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    CrackedLensCrackedLens Registered User regular
    Here's the deal with the Cars franchise:

It's for kids. I'm sorry that 20 and 30 year olds don't like it, but not all animated movies have to be keyed to all ages like most of the Pixar stuff is. My 3 tear old son fucking loves Cars. FUCKING LOVES IT. Because that's who it's for. Sorry that not everybody can get into it, but if Pixar cranking out something that my kid loves, and sells a screaming shitload o merchandise to further fund movies that everybody can get into, then I'm ok with Cars.

XBoxLive Gamertag: ZombieKyle Secret Satan Wishlist
  • Options
    wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    I'd find Cars a lot more tolerable if Larry the fucking Cable Guy wasn't in them.

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • Options
    Unfortunetly, Sir Laurance Olivier was unavailable to play the slow witted, aw shucks-ing, country bumpkin, comedy relief tow truck

• Options
    chiasaur11chiasaur11 Never doubt a raccoon. Do you think it's trademarked?Registered User regular
    Unfortunetly, Sir Laurance Olivier was unavailable to play the slow witted, aw shucks-ing, country bumpkin, comedy relief tow truck

Kenneth Branagh was probably still available. So that's no excuse.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular

It's for kids. I'm sorry that 20 and 30 year olds don't like it, but not all animated movies have to be keyed to all ages like most of the Pixar stuff is. My 3 tear old son fucking loves Cars. FUCKING LOVES IT. Because that's who it's for. Sorry that not everybody can get into it, but if Pixar cranking out something that my kid loves, and sells a screaming shitload o merchandise to further fund movies that everybody can get into, then I'm ok with Cars.

three year olds like any old shit

that's not really an excuse for a bad movie

it also didn't make significantly more money than any of pixar's other, better films

• Options
    If Unknown Hinson had played the pickup truck in both Cars I would have been there opening day.

• Options
    Rolo wrote: »

three year olds like any old shit

that's not really an excuse for a bad movie

it also didn't make significantly more money than any of pixar's other, better films

Cars is a merchandise goliath. Keeping it current and relevant is a cash cow.

• Options
    Also, me and the family wet to see Brave today

It was gorgeous. The landscapes looked great in 3D. Like it's been said, it was a predictable Disney princess movie, but still pretty dang great.

Great characters. Loved the dad, loved the boys, even loved the dogs. The wife and my daughter cried. Good flick

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular

I dunno if "kids love it" is a great defense for anything, really. Kids love a lot of stuff that is pretty awful-- who hasn't revisited something they loved when they were little only to realize that it is a steaming pile of shit?

I don't begrudge Pixar making Cars or Cars 2. A studio needs money, and cars is practically a license to print as much of it as they would like. But that sure doesn't mean they're on par with the other films the studio has produced, and those movies are not somehow 'off-limits' for criticism

• Options
    wirehead26 wrote: »
    If Unknown Hinson had played the pickup truck in both Cars I would have been there opening day.

Oh my god yes.

I would have actually loved Cars if this happened.

• Options
  • Options
    the extent to which some people love Mater is baffling to me

my sister is 20 and she practically collects Mater merchandise

• Options
    SheriSheri Resident Fluffer My Living RoomRegistered User regular
    This movie

This fucking movie

This movie was goddamn incredible and I was in tears and I want to see it again right now

• Options
    How many people
    Called/texted their moms after the movie?

Guilty.

Meeee

I texted "I should have seen this with you first"

• Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Ha ha, I too am guilty of calling my mother after seeing this. Pixar definitely knows how to tug at the ole heartstrings

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    Janson wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    and oh man im just remembering that disney made all the advertising for tangled feature the robber-guy because 'no one would watch a girl-centric movie'

Not all the advertising. Their tone in the Japanese trailer was different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRt3zcz03aA
    Oh wow I like this trailer

Japan has a much bigger market for stories centered around women.

Then again, part of that comes from them being way more misogynistic than the US.

Also yeah, that trailer is way better.

Vann Diras wrote: »
    this movie was pretty nice

a little bit cliche and predictable, but still really good

it was definitely "pixar makes a disney princess movie"

which i enjoyed quite a bit

It's not Pixar. It was done by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Pixar works for Disney, but is it's own studio, and they didn't do Tangled.

Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    GoatmonGoatmon Companion of Kess Registered User regular
    edited June 2012
    double post. derp.

Goatmon on
    Switch Friend Code: SW-6680-6709-4204

• Options
    uh Goatmon I don't think Vann Diras was talking about Tangled

• Options
    DimosarDimosar I am the Brain Genius Registered User regular
    Brave is the most best

the most.

this will tide me over until my cruddy small town theater finally gets Prometheus

• Options
    Goatmon wrote: »
    Janson wrote: »
    SabreMau wrote: »
    and oh man im just remembering that disney made all the advertising for tangled feature the robber-guy because 'no one would watch a girl-centric movie'

Not all the advertising. Their tone in the Japanese trailer was different.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IRt3zcz03aA
    Oh wow I like this trailer

Japan has a much bigger market for stories centered around women.

Then again, part of that comes from them being way more misogynistic than the US.

Also yeah, that trailer is way better.

Vann Diras wrote: »
    this movie was pretty nice

a little bit cliche and predictable, but still really good

it was definitely "pixar makes a disney princess movie"

which i enjoyed quite a bit

It's not Pixar. It was done by Walt Disney Animation Studios.

Pixar works for Disney, but is it's own studio, and they didn't do Tangled.

Wait are you saying Pixar didn't make Brave? Because they totally did, and Brave is the movie Vann is talking about in that quote

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    I want some pizza.

RIGHT NOW.

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular

This is the voice of Early Tyler, right?

Guy fuckin' rules.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    sarukun wrote: »

Guy fuckin' rules.

*Early Cuyler

• Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    Shorty wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »

Guy fuckin' rules.

*Early Cuyler

Really? I swear I thought it was a T.

In any case, Squidbillies is excellent and so is Tangled and so is Brave.

• Options
    King RiptorKing Riptor Registered User regular

That does not excuse Cars 2 being awful. It is shockingly possible to make a ovie that is for children while simeltaneously being good.

I have a podcast now. It's about video games and anime!Find it here.
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Saw this the other day!

I cried a bit, because i'm a big softie.

My only issue was thta we saw the 2d version and i seemed to have problems focusing on the outskirts of the movie shots. particularly in the wide landscape scenes. like I was trying to look at the rest of the image and it was blurry to the point of almost being painful to try and bring into focus. Of course that could just be me, but it was almost like they were forcing your eyes to the center of the scene. Which is understandable, but sometimes I just want to look at the edges!

other than that, worth the money, truly gorgeous, and will probably be getting the bluray when it comes out.

• Options
    I want to see this again

Like, right now

• Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    I want to see

Cars 3

Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    In today's edition of The Huffington Post (and especially Scott Mendelson) is awful:
    Brave may not supplement Cars 2 as the worst film Pixar has yet made, but it clearly qualifies as the most disappointing.