As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

11/19/11, 5:00 EST - The Republican Social Values [Debate], now with 600% more Wingnut!

123457»

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    We need to let the experts command! This is why I, the non-expert should be in command!
    Also, fuck you, Santorum. Colonization caused the problems that exist right now.
    Also, Iran's enmity is significantly our fault.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    ToldoToldo But actually, WeegianRegistered User regular
    Nu-cu-lar.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Did Gingrich just blame 9/11 on Iran?

• Options
    And that is it. Fucking crazy all around

• Options
    KanaKana Registered User regular
    http://hnn.us/articles/59548.html

Following up on the whole George Washington thing:
    There is absolutely no extant contemporary evidence that President Washington altered the language of the oath as laid down in Article 2, Section 1 of the Constitution: “I do solemnly swear (or affirm) that I will faithfully execute the office of President of the United States, and will to the best of my Ability, preserve, protect and defend the Constitution of the United States.” A long letter by the French foreign minister Comte de Moustier, who attended the ceremony, repeated the oath verbatim and did not include the additional words. Apparently, it was not until 65 years after the event that the story that Washington added this phrase first appeared in a published volume. In his book, The Republican Court, Rufus Griswold cited a childhood memory of Washington Irving as his source. It took another 27 years before the first clearly documented case of a President adding the words, “So help me God,” was recorded — when Chester A. Arthur took the oath in 1881.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
  • Options
    zepherinzepherin Russian warship, go fuck yourself Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    VIdeo stream http://www.citizenlink.com/: Crazy guy talking right now.
    Why did I watch that? I have never vomited in my mouth and face palmed at the same time before, this is a new experience.

• Options
    TubularLuggageTubularLuggage Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Watching the video;
    Did they actually start the debate by playing that embarrassingly shitty christian folk rock song, or was that just added for the replay?
    Edit: Oh for fuck sake, how long do these dudes drone on before the debate actually begins?
    Edit: Okay, now they have some woman singing, but it's not even the national anthem (which would already be excessive). Okay, we're 15 minutes in, and the candidates haven't even taken the stage yet. In Canada, anyone that showed up for a debate like this would be laughed out of the election.

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    Skip to about half an hour in. That's when Lutz lets a random old man "OWS" person come out and blather on about the Fed and it's foreign ownership or something.

I found this debate horrific and would really, really like something quite painful to happen to Rick Santorum.

Who the fudgecakes does he think he is to apply his family's choice about their daughter to the world at large?

As someone who considers themselves fairly conservative, shouldn't it be up to individual families to make that call? Isn't the at the root of "empowering citizens"?

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Magus`Magus` The fun has been DOUBLED! Registered User regular
    The GOP: Government small enough that it can fit in your pants.

You fucking whores

• Options
    edited November 2011
    As someone who considers themselves fairly conservative, shouldn't it be up to individual families to make that call? Isn't the at the root of "empowering citizens"?
    He's for smaller government, except for anything that involves the government making people do what he wants.

Also, the candidates have finally shown up, THIRTY SEVEN MINUTES IN (thankfully, I skipped ahead a few times to get there). Please, for my own sanity, someone tell me that they didn't air this entire preamble in the televised version.

Edit: Why is Michele Bachmann pouring water for everyone?

TubularLuggage on
  • Options
    Skip to about half an hour in. That's when Lutz lets a random old man "OWS" person come out and blather on about the Fed and it's foreign ownership or something.

And yet the guy is OBVIOUSLY not a OWS'er, he's a Ron Paul goofball.

A trap is for fish: when you've got the fish, you can forget the trap. A snare is for rabbits: when you've got the rabbit, you can forget the snare. Words are for meaning: when you've got the meaning, you can forget the words.
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I have mixed feelings about the GOP politics. On one hand I want the craziest most corrupt candidate to win the primary because they have a better chance of losing to Obama. On the other hand, what if they win?
    male14-male-shock-stun-smiley-emoticon-000054-facebook.gif

zepherin on
  • Options
    Wow. I even skipping ahead a few times, I am not going to be able to get to the end of this thing. There's just absolutely no substance (even compared to a typical GOP talking point debate). It's literally them trying to one-up each other, seeing how many ways they can say 'yay God', with Ron Paul at least trying to bring in a little policy now and then, but in his very rambling way.

• Options
    AManFromEarthAManFromEarth Let's get to twerk! The King in the SwampRegistered User regular
    It'll be Romney in the general. That was decided during the '08 election and the GOP is nothing if not predictable in that sense.

Just like it was McCain's turn back then, it's Romney's now. I think as time goes on the feeling is that they need a placeholder (like a Kerry or Dole) to kill time until the next open election.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options

Because she's the woman, I would assume. A little later on Perry and I think Cain are congratulated for waiting until she sits down. Parry quips "well, that's the way mah mama taught me, huyuck".

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Kana wrote:

Yeah, I thought things were a bit fishy on that one...

But he's a Christian, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    Alright, with some skipping ahead, I'm about an hour and a half in, and I just have to stop. It's literally the Poe's Law debate.

• Options
    It'll be Romney in the general. That was decided during the '08 election and the GOP is nothing if not predictable in that sense.

Just like it was McCain's turn back then, it's Romney's now. I think as time goes on the feeling is that they need a placeholder (like a Kerry or Dole) to kill time until the next open election.
    Yeah I hear that the establishment has chosen Romney to go into the general election.

• Options
    AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular

"As someone who makes terrible, dangerous, uninformed decisions about my family on a routine basis thanks to my rights of expression and liberty granted by the Constitution and various progressive legislative acts, I'm a firm believer in taking all of that away from everyone and forcing them to do awful shit for no good reason."

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Kana wrote:

Yeah, I thought things were a bit fishy on that one...

But he's a Christian, so I guess he knows what he's talking about.

It was a pretty blatant attempt to set up anything yelled from the audience as "those damned hippies". Moderate was a douche to him on his way up then much nicer when he just turned out to be a Ron Paul nutbar

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options

"As someone who makes terrible, dangerous, uninformed decisions about my family on a routine basis thanks to my rights of expression and liberty granted by the Constitution and various progressive legislative acts, I'm a firm believer in taking all of that away from everyone and forcing them to do awful shit for no good reason."

It's almost like you didn't read what I said at all. But that's cool. Takes all kinds.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    The whole debate was pretty much a farce. The moderator kept talking about how they were in a "house of worship" and a bunch of nonsense that has nothing to do with the actual office.

Never have I seen a slate of candidates I want to vote for less.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:

I'm coming to the thread to ask for some bulletpoints on the things said at the debate since I missed it, and, well, I saw this.

• Options
    They didn't say anything of any relevance to policy. Just your general "God's mad and that' why stuff sucks."

The Grinch kept obfuscating history to try to make a point (as if the GOP base is going to be impressed by intellect).

Santorum lived up to his name pretty well, blaming everything on the gays and their malevolent abortion and Islam trade.

Toward the end they all gave touching accounts of their personal faith which have nothing to do with the office of the presidency.

So it was basically exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of nutcases at a church.

Lh96QHG.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular

It's almost like you didn't read what I said at all. But that's cool. Takes all kinds.
    He did. He was giving you Santorum's answer to your question.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    He's for smaller government, except for anything that involves the government making people do what he wants.

Also, the candidates have finally shown up, THIRTY SEVEN MINUTES IN (thankfully, I skipped ahead a few times to get there). Please, for my own sanity, someone tell me that they didn't air this entire preamble in the televised version.

Wait, when people said she was serving the other candidates, they meant literally? Not like, she got some good shots off? I guess I should have expected as much from her.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular

He did. He was giving you Santorum's answer to your question.

This.

The gist of Santorum is that he wants you to be free to make your own decisions. Unless those decisions do not line up with his decisions, and he disagrees with them on a moral level. Like, the decision to be gay. Or, the decision to accidentally get pregnant.

You know, those things.

• Options
    Henroid wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

I'm coming to the thread to ask for some bulletpoints on the things said at the debate since I missed it, and, well, I saw this.

They were talking about Iran, and then Gingrich said something about retaliating for 3100 dead or something like that.

• Options
    One line that I keep thinking about is Bachmann saying about how, at the young age of 16, she realized that she was a dirty sinner and only giving in to Christ could she save herself.

That's so fucked up. I just can't get behind a moral system which tells 16 year olds that they're bad people and have to reform their lives or go to hell. 16 year olds haven't even had time to be bad people yet. They're only a couple years away from playing with dollies.

• Options
    dbrock270dbrock270 Registered User regular
    I keep forgetting to ask this question.

When in the 2008 primary season did it become obvious McCain was going to win?

• Options
    dbrock270 wrote:
    I keep forgetting to ask this question.

When in the 2008 primary season did it become obvious McCain was going to win?
    After Super Tuesday, so early February it was pretty clear.

• Options
    Gabriel_PittGabriel_Pitt (effective against Russian warships) Registered User regular
    Yeah, but I want to say that back then, it was obvious that some of the candidates actually had the qualifications to run for president. None of these chucklefucks strike me as being able to debate their way out of a late cable bill.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote:
    Henroid wrote:
    Fencingsax wrote:

They were talking about Iran, and then Gingrich said something about retaliating for 3100 dead or something like that.

Oh right. Brown people.

Gingrich is kind of a piece of shit though, I'm not surprised.

• Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    I'm waiting for Cain to slip in something out of 300 in relation to Iran as if it were a fact