As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Skyrim: Make sure to inspect the smell of your children’s finger nails on a daily basis.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Stilts wrote:
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I really really really like the idea of wards

but

they just eat up too much magicka too fast to be worth it

maybe things are different once you get to 70+ restoration, but on my mage character, it was vastly more efficient to use my mana pool obliterating the shit out of my enemies right away and healing after the fight is done than trying to block their spells and attacks with wards
    even getting the ward absorb perk wasn't enough, I fought a goddamn dragon priest and absorbing his spells didn't refill my mana faster than the ward consumed it

plus the fact that you need reflexes good enough to allow a second or two for the ward to charge up
    I put it to best use fighting dragons, and yeah it's cool holding up your hand and having a rippling wall of energy stop a fire breath, but I could just as easily cast a fast heal after taking the hit and end up at 100% health with far more available mana

I feel like instead of constantly draining your magika while it's up, the ward should drain magika proportional to the spell it gets hit with. The more powerful the ward, the more damage it can absorb and the more magika it can drain from you.

Basically, just make the thing that's supposed to be a magic shield work like the normal shield does with stamina.

[edit disclaimer]I didn't read your thing right. my suggestion has nothing to do with this[/edit]

I think Bioshock had something like this, a defensive spell that basically transforms HP damage into MP damage. It makes a lot more sense

HugmasterGeneral on
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    see on an intellectual level I recognize that 100% restoration reduction would make wards a potent tool (ebonyflesh + three ranks of mage armor + greater ward + lord stone would be 430 armor, which is pretty solid for a dude wearing robes) but

but

when it comes to actually being a wizard my simple, violent brain can only process CRAM MORE DAMAGE DOWN THE ENEMY'S THROAT LOWER ALL DESTRUCTION COSTS MORE THUNDERBOLTS

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    also from the UESPwiki page on alteration
    Candlelight can actually be used outdoors at night to attract insects for use as alchemical ingredients.

this game.

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    thedude_frombaywatchthedude_frombaywatch Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    also from the UESPwiki page on alteration
    Candlelight can actually be used outdoors at night to attract insects for use as alchemical ingredients.

this game.

What. awesome

xbl tag: Dynamis King
    MineCraft: Menetherin
    Steam: Vloeza_SE++

• Options
    LednehLedneh shinesquawk Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Dichotomy wrote:
    see on an intellectual level I recognize that 100% restoration reduction would make wards a potent tool (ebonyflesh + three ranks of mage armor + greater ward + lord stone would be 430 armor, which is pretty solid for a dude wearing robes) but

but

when it comes to actually being a wizard my simple, violent brain can only process CRAM MORE DAMAGE DOWN THE ENEMY'S THROAT LOWER ALL DESTRUCTION COSTS MORE THUNDERBOLTS

The thing is I was going to agree with you, but then I got Impact and a piece of destruction cost gear (an amulet, if memory serves)

And the game went from 'jesus this is fucking impossible' to 'jesus it is impossible for me to die' with no reasonable inbetween, where the difficulty slider only really seemed to adjust time to live/time to die

I guess I'm just not wired right to be a big stupid magical Hulk or something

Ledneh on
  • Options
    Day of the BearDay of the Bear The Qun demandsRegistered User regular
    If you could stagger dudes without doublecasting wards might be interesting, but instead of casting a ward you can just hit the enemy with a staggering doublecast spell and not only stop them from hitting you with a spell but also hurt them a bunch.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    it's interesting you bring that up

as in this thread folk had mentioned how easy impact made things

plus I wasn't sure about dualcasting anymore
    so I just didn't take those perks on my shock mage
    and were I pressed to say something I'd say that it dramatically improved the experience

0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    godmodegodmode Southeast JapanRegistered User regular
    Now that I have twin dremora lords, I think I need to turn up my difficulty to make the game fair for the bad guys.

• Options
    HugmasterGeneralHugmasterGeneral Poopmaster General YobuttRegistered User regular
    I actively avoid impact doublecast unless I'm in a really tight spot, just because I was murdering pretty much everything without any challenge. Although Krosis the Dragon Prince didn't seem to stagger at all from my magic, so he was my most difficult foe. For him I ended up casting the shock field thingy, then casting invisible and standing next to him as his health went down slowly.

• Options
    Dichotomy wrote:
    it's interesting you bring that up

as in this thread folk had mentioned how easy impact made things

plus I wasn't sure about dualcasting anymore
    so I just didn't take those perks on my shock mage
    and were I pressed to say something I'd say that it dramatically improved the experience

oh? what do you do then, have lightning or whatever in both hands and just alternate between them?

I think all told I like the idea of playing a mage the most in most games, this one included, but the typical mage difficulty swing of 'start less powerful than a fart, end more powerful than a tornado' is usually a turnoff for me

• Options
    On my dual wield swords and maybe some magic on the side character I don't have impact.

I still kill things real good with spells, but I also have legendary dragonplate and some nice daedric swords to fall back on if a guy gets up in my face.

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    What effect does turning the difficulty up do? Should I be playing it that way?

I somehow contracted vampire disease and now I have an option to "feed" when I do it subsides my disease? How's that work?

thedude_frombaywatch on

• Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    well, i gave the copy i had back to my friend and bought this on steam

goodbye forever

• Options
    I had that in Oblivion. It was great, I never wanted to get rid of it. (I know nothing of Vampiric Hemophilia or whatever in this one)

• Options
    What effect does turning the difficulty up do? Should I be playing it that way?

I somehow contracted vampire disease and now I have an option to "feed" when I do it subsides my disease? How's that work?

I think the difficulty adjusts the stats of foes, not sure if it increases their thinking ability or number, though.

As for vampirism, it's pretty crazy. I would recommend checking out the TES wiki for that.
    Basically...
    You get new powers and new drawbacks each day after you become infected. For the first three days, it can be cured like any disease. On day 4, if you haven't fed, you become a full-fledged vampire, with new powers and drawbacks.

• Options
    EndEnd Registered User regular
    well, i gave the copy i had back to my friend and bought this on steam

goodbye forever

it was a pleasure knowing you

kill some dragons for us

I wish that someway, somehow, that I could save every one of us
    zaleiria-by-lexxy-sig.jpg
  • Options
    Oh i see. Thanks.
    Anyone else thinking of changing timescale? I want to do 5 min for each real minute. Will this cause me to lose the ability to win achievements because i'm using the console? Will using the console cause the game to disable cheevos?

• Options
    That's a good question. I've been avoiding the console myself wondering that very thing.

• Options
    Far as I've seen across the internet, console fuckery has no effect on earning cheetos whatsoever

• Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I really wanna play but my roomate is hogging the tv :|

• Options
    webofinkwebofink Registered User regular
    #pipe wrote:
    I really wanna play but my roomate is hogging the tv :|

Get a large sized pan and SHIELD BASH them off the couch

It's dead, Jim.
  • Options
    Kill your roomate

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Assuming no one else is around you should get off scot free

m6eoUgQ.jpg
  • Options
    Make sure you loot the body.

• Options
    B.C.B.C. is a bee! remember me?Registered User regular
    godmode wrote:
    Now that I have twin dremora lords, I think I need to turn up my difficulty to make the game fair for the bad guys.

Twin Souls made this game go from "Oh jesus no run awaaaaay" to "Aaahahahaha you are fuuuuucked"

I've found that against the higher level mages characters (ascendant/arch/etc) it's actually better to Shout them into a corner and then dual summon Potent Frost Atronachs. They lock them into that corner and they take turns power attacking to stagger the bitch.

Friend code for Pokemon fiends everywhere: Arch 0447-6824-1112
  • Options
  • Options
    B.C. wrote:
    godmode wrote:

Twin Souls made this game go from "Oh jesus no run awaaaaay" to "Aaahahahaha you are fuuuuucked"

I've found that against the higher level mages characters (ascendant/arch/etc) it's actually better to Shout them into a corner and then dual summon Potent Frost Atronachs. They lock them into that corner and they take turns power attacking to stagger the bitch.

I've actually been super poor on my mage, so I haven't been able to afford all those extra spells! Maybe someday soon, though :P

• Options
    RubberACRubberAC Sidney BC!Registered User regular
    I have definitely used power attacks successfully as sneak attacks im not sure what you guys were talking about

• Options
    godmode wrote:
    B.C. wrote:
    godmode wrote:

I've actually been super poor on my mage, so I haven't been able to afford all those extra spells! Maybe someday soon, though :P

Man just smith some Iron Daggers then enchant them with all the petty soul gems you've got laying around. 5 daggers should net you 1k.

• Options
    Oh yes! I had forgotten about that!

• Options
    Also spamming all your ingredients into random potions/poisons is pretty good for quick cash.

The best potion I ever made was Wheat/Vampire Dust/Glow Dust/Nirnroot

• Options
    DysDys how am I even using this gun Registered User regular
    B.C. wrote:
    godmode wrote:
    B.C. wrote:
    godmode wrote:

Man just smith some Iron Daggers then enchant them with all the petty soul gems you've got laying around. 5 daggers should net you 1k.

If you have the Banish enchant, use that.

I have put zero points into speech, but a petty enchant of that on daggers I make is getting me about 700 per weapon sale.

• Options
    FalxFalx Registered User regular
    Ok these crash to desktop things are getting to me now. Last few days I've never ended a day's playing without at least one, and it's always right when I'm enjoying the game most.

• Options
    There should be a mod that lets you wear your staff on your back like great swords when you're not wielding it. It just disappears.

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    The most expensive potion is apparently Wheat + Giants toe.

• Options
    There should be a mod that lets you wear your staff on your back like great swords when you're not wielding it. It just disappears.

Are you playing a female character?...

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    hold on... wait..

WTF?!

blackreach:
    theres a fucking dragon in here?!

• Options
    godmode wrote:

I'm playing a dude.

• Options
    godmode wrote:

I'm playing a dude.

44d61455315980c08cce79c3d2d578cf.gif

• Options
    That is the best gif I've seen all day.

This discussion has been closed.