As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I'm mildly surprised that the various Cloak spells didn't include some respective elemental resistance component in them.

Then again, that might make them Alteration rather than Destruction. Then again they always struck me as an Alteration-like spell to begin with.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ugh, I hate the Cloak spells. Expensive to cast, gain no damage or buff duration bonus from dual casting (but will happily eat up the 3x magicka), do damage that's considered terrible even by the time you get them that isn't altered by perks, have an insanely short range of effect, block your vision, and have no extra defensive properties. Oh, and they have a fun side effect where casting one will dismiss any summons you have active.

I can see a spellsword maybe using them, but even then I'd think the downsides make them a bit too prohibitive.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    President RexPresident Rex Registered User regular
    Z0re wrote:
    Al_wat wrote:
    Blackjack wrote:
    Avynte wrote:
    Torgairon wrote:
    the Most Infuriating Fight in Skyrim award is officially awarded to the crypt that contains an NPC that:

- shoots arrows that do half your health in one shot
    - has level 3 unrelenting shout and a disarm shout. while you're running around like a derp looking for your weapon or busy ragdolling across the huge room, enjoy your new pincushion status.
    - clones 2 illusions that, along with him, take up triangular positions around the room. they can be killed in one hit and do piddly damage, but good luck having the time to get to them because they can shout too.
    - after about five seconds of taking little-to-no damage because this is an end-of-crypt boss, he disappears, respawns his illusions, and the circus resumes anew.
    - bonus points if you're melee and have to keep running to him while eating shouts. even moar points if you actually beat this thing without bugging it out like I did, and without dropping the difficulty which I fortunately didn't have to resort to.

I expect nothing but "deal with it", but I needed an outlet. :oops:

Are you talking about
    Sigdis I think his name is?

because it sounds just like it
    but I was never once disarmed by him, or ragdolled, just knocked back

i think he's talking about the
    draugr deathlord in lost tarygg/torygg, the place near labyrinthian i think?

That summoning 2 illusions sounds really familiar, but I don't remember the dungeon either.

I ended up spamming potions for until the clone came out. Then the ai bugged out on a pillar and I pin-cushioned him. :rotate:
    If it's in a cave/crypt at a part that's slightly flooded with 2 rock boulder plateaus (and other ledges on the edge of the room).

Then it is one of the three guys from the Gauldur (or something like that) myth quest. Although that guy doesn't use arrows as far as I know. But he does use something like the Unrelenting Force shout, disarms you, creates copies of himself and damages you pretty handily at lower levels.

If that's the one, then bonus! You get to fight him again...

I actually didn't have any trouble with this guy...
    I had 100 Stealth by this point, so just shot him once and then when he teleported/split up, I ran to where he was before, went out and back into stealth and then basically three-shotted him while he had no idea where I was. Playing on Normal, though, so that's probably a big part of it, too.
    This fight pissed me off and amused me at the same time. I had so much armor that I was barely taking damage, but I must have spent ten minutes looking at my guy get blasted to the ground and slowly pick himself up again. And again. And again....

People have issues with that fight?
    I stunlocked him to death pretty easily, I don't think he got a single attack off. Didn't have much HP either; I was still using tier 2 spells without any cost reduction gear and didn't even use a mana potion.
    I recall having to use a few potions the first time I met him, and I may have lost a generic Dwarven Bow or something, but shooting arrows at him wasn't too difficult.

The second time I fought him when he was with his two brothers he certainly wasn't the hardest brother. I spent more time looking for my Eduj (...which I had stolen from his brother's desecrated and disemboweled corpse) during the fight than I did actually fighting him.

But the tomb has pillars and little recesses you can hide in if you're actually taking a decent amount of damage from him.

But I don't have any points in either armor or weapon tree (or block) and was wearing Elven and wasn't having much trouble switching between bows and swords (and then to magic once I discovered he was disarming me).

I guess my indecisiveness of picking one of the armors and one of the weapons is sort of gimping my character. I'm not sure which kind of armor I want, so I don't know which smithing tree I want, and since my two-handers and one-handers are both at about 50, I'm just not sure which I prefer overall. Also, my character has gravitate towards the idea that shields are better used as frisbees than a means of defense.

But it hasn't really come up on normal difficulty. You could easily go with no perks the whole game, it seems.

Archery is so versatile (and has no real alternative) that it's the only tree I've really invested in.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    Sigh... Ulfric really is a complete douche. I was kinda hoping he was a little more complicated than that. Based on the things he told me, I really though maybe he was kind of young and a bit naive, extremely idealistic and harried and pushed by his court and advisors. The first time you see him talking in Windhelm, he seems exhausted, like his own hope and idealism had completely drained him of his dreams of a free Skyrim, and all his crazy toady and bloodthirsty advisors had pushed him so far that he'd finally given up resisting their influence. Then by the end of it all he is in fact a complete and total dick, doing what he is doing for little more than personal power and a Skyrim full of "true nords" and songs about Ulfric.

From a character perspective it didn't matter; my argonian wanted to kill imperials, he got to kill imperials (who the FUCK executes random people wandering around the woods?!) But from an examination of the narrative, I was disappointed.

The first Ulfric I saw was an interesting character. The one I imagined was an interesting character. I wanted more of that; I wanted the rebellion to implode from within, to see Ulfric and his second-in-command fight it out over the direction of the war. Maybe Ulfric wins; maybe he doesn't. There could have been a coup from within (let's face it, the personalities running the thing were ripe for it). I would have been perfectly fine having no control over the outcome of that particular event. Maybe Ulfric gets stabbed in the back; maybe not. Whatever. Kind of a missed opportunity on the Stormcloak side of things, I thought.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    SpenzkriegSpenzkrieg eh's a pretty cool guy Registered User regular
    Sigh... Ulfric really is a complete douche. I was kinda hoping he was a little more complicated than that. Based on the things he told me, I really though maybe he was kind of young and a bit naive, extremely idealistic and harried and pushed by his court and advisors. The first time you see him talking in Windhelm, he seems exhausted, like his own hope and idealism had completely drained him of his dreams of a free Skyrim, and all his crazy toady and bloodthirsty advisors had pushed him so far that he'd finally given up resisting their influence. Then by the end of it all he is in fact a complete and total dick, doing what he is doing for little more than personal power and a Skyrim full of "true nords" and songs about Ulfric.

From a character perspective it didn't matter; my argonian wanted to kill imperials, he got to kill imperials (who the FUCK executes random people wandering around the woods?!) But from an examination of the narrative, I was disappointed.

The first Ulfric I saw was an interesting character. The one I imagined was an interesting character. I wanted more of that; I wanted the rebellion to implode from within, to see Ulfric and his second-in-command fight it out over the direction of the war. Maybe Ulfric wins; maybe he doesn't. There could have been a coup from within (let's face it, the personalities running the thing were ripe for it). I would have been perfectly fine having no control over the outcome of that particular event. Maybe Ulfric gets stabbed in the back; maybe not. Whatever. Kind of a missed opportunity on the Stormcloak side of things, I thought.

How much of the main story have you done?

RS: Eide
    RC: Ais
  • Options
    IcemopperIcemopper Registered User regular
    Why does power hungry mean he is uninteresting? I haven't seen too much of him yet, but it sounds like you're writing him off because he isn't who you want him to be, the savior of Skyrim or something.

• Options
    ArchonexArchonex No hard feelings, right? Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Icemopper wrote:
    Why does power hungry mean he is uninteresting? I haven't seen too much of him yet, but it sounds like you're writing him off because he isn't who you want him to be, the savior of Skyrim or something.

He's a much better choice then the Imperials, that's for sure.

Most of the racist crap (All of it, really.) comes from his lieutenants and the Nords as a whole, too. It's no different from Morrowinds Dunmer.

Besides, Ulfric will buddy up to any race
    from the first few seconds of chat with him, even if you aren't dragonborn yet, provided you say the right things (Skyrim is home to more then just Nords, etc, etc.).

Archonex on
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Ulfric doesn't feature in the main story line, does he? At least he didn't for me. Actually, no one really did ^^

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Icemopper wrote:

I think Jay was hoping Ulfric would be a flawed but well-meaning freedom fighter whose ear was turned to his radical advisers too much. Instead, he's basically just a
    white supremacist.

I basically have yet to build a character who, in my mind, would give a toss about either side.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    Icemopper wrote:

I think Jay was hoping Ulfric would be a flawed but well-meaning freedom fighter whose ear was turned to his radical advisers too much. Instead, he's basically just a
    white supremacist.

I basically have yet to build a character who, in my mind, would give a toss about either side.

I really don't get the claims to him being
    racist. Nowhere in the game does he ever say anything that'd infer he's against other races populating Skyrim. Quite the opposite in fact. Especially if you don't start the main quest before going to Windhelm. Most of the slander comes from the Imperial/Imperial sympathizer side of things. Try bringing him up with the Jarl of Solitude. Hoo-boy.

Despite the proceedings of the duel going according to Skyrim traditions, you'd think he raped and murdered the former High King in front of his widow, the Jarl of Solitude, before he killed him, given how she tells it. Coincidentally, the Jarl of Solitude is also making a play at High King, too, and has sided with the Imperials to obtain the throne. Furthermore, most of the claims from the Imperial side are echoed by her, and her court is pretty much the place to go to spread erroneous, ASOIF style slander around. What a coincidence, eh?

Admittedly, his lieutenants need to take off the white hood. But it's pretty obvious none of them are actually in charge of anything other then leading the charge into the front-lines of whatever latest battlefield there is out there. Which isn't exactly a job that has a decent life expectancy to it.

Archonex on
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Meh...after going into the Stormcloak vs Legion thing is pretty obvious they set it up so neither side is the "good" side and which one you appeal with more just goes with how you think.

minor spoilers
    If Ulfric had been a perfect paragon of humanity it wouldn't have been much of a choice.

That being said I would say the SC vs Legion stuff was kind of disappointed because it ends up being nothing more than an extended sidequest that has no affect on anything.

But I guess I should expect that from Beth games by now.

@Archonex: That's not totally correct.
    If you talk to the war vet in Windhelm he tells you that Ulfric is pretty Nord-centric himself. That he'll instantly send aid to Nords who are being mistreated but he ignores the plight of non-Nords in his land.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    Icemopper wrote:

white supremacist.

Right. I really had no expectations of him being "the true good guy." There were hints of something a lot more complex than that, but he ends being a classic deceptive, conniving piece of shit. Which I admit can be fun, but there's a real question of whether Imperial control is right for Skyrim, and it would have been more interesting to explore those motives and the personalities behind them rather than "trololol political power."

Someone asked how much of the main story I'd done. I'm not sure how far along I am... I would guess I'm approaching the end, though I could just be kind of in the middle of things. Spoilers below, so beware, but I will keep them as minimal and vague as possible.
    Sky Temple discovered, now on the hunt for an Elder Scroll.

There's some indication that because of the Thalmor, Ulfric has really fucked Skyrim. But that's not immediately clear since the civil war story ends with the victory of either side. Maybe some of that plays out in the main campaign, but if so it wasn't immediately clear to me.

GoodKingJayIII on
    Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    Anyway, I still have this problem on my Thief: my One-handed skill is displayed in my stats as red, and 30 points below what it should normally be. There is nothing in my active effects list that would explain the sudden drop.

Anyone have any idea what's going on?

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Actually...the game shows you that it wasn't really...

Stormcloak/Legion stuff
    Ulfric who fucked over Skyrim. It was the Thalmor and the Empire folding to them so quickly that did it. Most of the people of Skyrim didn't mind being apart of the Empire.

It only become a problem with them after the Empire "lost" the war against the Thalmor and were basically forced to sign a peace treaty that bans worship of Talos.

Pretty much the Stormcloaks are pissed that the Legion folded to the Thalmor like a bunch of pussies and their land has been taken over by them(the Thalmor).

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    There's another reason why Ulfric's the superior choice.

(Seriously big quest spoilers within.)
    If you do the DB quest-line, at the end, you'll have assassinated the Emperor. And pretty much assuredly thrown the Empire into a state of dis-array.

Furthermore. Jarl Whatever-the-Fair is an amazingly dirty conniving piece of shit too, which becomes a bit apparent if you take the Stormcloak option. Her whole "sympathy for her dead husband" thing goes down the drain once she's faced with keeping her position as Jarl, or holding true to her claims about Ulfric and her husband. Evidently her dead husband isn't worth as much to her as she claimed when the cards are down, and she has to choose between living out her days in luxury in Skyrim, or being able to keep being lord of 1/6th of Skyrim.

Also, she gets pretty damned venomous towards you if you ask her what she thinks about the aftermath of the war, if I do recall properly.

Also, at least on the face of things, she has no spine, too. Her court is pretty obviously being run for her by her advisors, and she's pretty obviously inexperienced at handling the affairs of the state. She'd make for a horrible High King, and Skyrim would be under control of the Thalmor in a few years if she takes over, most likely.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Archonex wrote:

If you do the DB quest-line, at the end, you'll have assassinated the Emperor. And pretty much assuredly thrown the Empire into a state of dis-array.

Furthermore. Jarl Whatever-the-Fair is an amazingly dirty conniving piece of shit too, which becomes a bit apparent if you take the Stormcloak option. Her whole "sympathy for her dead husband" thing goes down the drain once she's faced with keeping her position as Jarl, or holding true to her claims about Ulfric and her husband. Also, she gets pretty damned venomous towards you if you ask her what she thinks about the aftermath, afterwards, if I do recall properly.

Also, at least on the face of things, she has no spine, too. Her court is pretty obviously being run for her by her advisors, and she's pretty obviously inexperienced at handling the affairs of the state. She'd make for a horrible High King, and Skyrim would be under control of the Thalmor in a few years if she takes over, most likely.

Meh, there is no superior choice. Each side has its ups and downs.

That being said, it isn't like either choice affects gameplay at all, nor will they affect TES6 in any way because Bethsada will just do their own thing. So people can pick whichever side they like.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Archonex wrote:

Furthermore. Jarl Whatever-the-Fair is an amazingly dirty conniving piece of shit too, which becomes a bit apparent if you take the Stormcloak option. Her whole "sympathy for her dead husband" thing goes down the drain, once she's faced with keeping her position, or holding true to her claims about Ulfric. Also, she gets pretty damned venomous towards you if you ask her what she thinks about the aftermath, afterwards, if I do recall properly.

Of course, according to the Thalmor themselves,
    via a book you can find during the main quest, a decisive victory for either side in the civil war could mean a weakening of the Dominion's overall position in their campaign to conquer Tamriel. The Empire winning Skyrim would mean they have a solid grip on a province further away from the Thalmor's central areas of influence, giving them the chance to shore up their support and army for the resumption of Dominion hostilities that the Empire knows is coming. Once the Dominion is driven off the mainland, or at least out of the Empire proper, then the worship of Talos can be allowed once more.

Ulfric winning would mean Skyrim is locked out to the Thalmor and the Dominion for the foreseeable future. And if the Dominion managed to take over the heartland of the Empire, the Nords would probably then invade themselves, setting up another Empire of their own.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Anyway, I still have this problem on my Thief: my One-handed skill is displayed in my stats as red, and 30 points below what it should normally be. There is nothing in my active effects list that would explain the sudden drop.

You on PC? It's just a bug, I got it once when I was using the console to level skills to test out a build.

Open the console and type "player.getavinfo onehanded" and it'll tell you your base level and what's affecting it. If there are no modifiers, then use setav to return it to normal.

World's best janitor
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    Archonex wrote:

Furthermore. Jarl Whatever-the-Fair is an amazingly dirty conniving piece of shit too, which becomes a bit apparent if you take the Stormcloak option. Her whole "sympathy for her dead husband" thing goes down the drain, once she's faced with keeping her position, or holding true to her claims about Ulfric. Also, she gets pretty damned venomous towards you if you ask her what she thinks about the aftermath, afterwards, if I do recall properly.

Of course, according to the Thalmor themselves,
    via a book you can find during the main quest, a decisive victory for either side in the civil war could mean a weakening of the Dominion's overall position in their campaign to conquer Tamriel. The Empire winning Skyrim would mean they have a solid grip on a province further away from the Thalmor's central areas of influence, giving them the chance to shore up their support and army for the resumption of Dominion hostilities that the Empire knows is coming. Once the Dominion is driven off the mainland, or at least out of the Empire proper, then the worship of Talos can be allowed once more.

Only problem with that is
    If the Imperials win, then they're still going to have to contend with a population that has half of them wanting to brutally murder the Emperor and any of his men. They make it pretty clear that Stormcloak sympathies are pretty well dug in outside of areas of primary Imperial control.

If Ulfric goes down, odds are he becomes a martyr (Which just makes the intro all the more stupid.), and lo and behold, you've gotten a second Forsworn style army wanting to rape and pillage the land. Only, unlike the Forsworn, they aren't going to constrain their activities to one area or race (The Forsworn hate the Nords, and for good reason, too.) that they have a claim on.

You can even discover that random NPC's are for the Stormcloaks in the tiny villages. Where-as most of the Imperial sympathizers seem to be centered more in the major cities that the Imperials control or have a contested hold over.

On the other hand, Ulfric makes it very clear that if the Thalmor don't come to him (He fully expects an invasion, evidently.), he's going to go to them. Since he knows they're a threat that can't be ignored. And with the Imperials out of Skyrim, he stands a much better chance then them of unifying the country.

Archonex on
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    Klyka wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Ulfric doesn't feature in the main story line, does he? At least he didn't for me. Actually, no one really did ^^
    In the Main Story where you infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy and steal documents... read the dossier report by the Thalmer on both the Blade contact you have and also Ulfric. That kind of delves into how the Thalmer are handling Ulfric and also his up-front and secondary motivations in the rebellion.

Long story short the Thalmor captured Ulric in the Thalmor/Empire war. They brainwashed him into starting a rebellion when they learned he was the son of a Jarl and, manipulating Nordic tradition knew they could force him to usurping the King of Skyrim and driving a further rift in the Empire. Considering the Nords were a big reason the Empire was able to take back the Imperial City (with both manpower and also raw materials for equipment) this was a huge strategic boon for the Thalmor. However, internally, Ulfric has started deviating from being a puppet of the Thalmor into more of a egomaniac which is a very human reaction to powerlust. I thought Ulfric a shallow xenophobe before I read that. Now I just felt kinda bad for him as he was nothing but a tool in the power-struggle between the Empire and Thalmor.

This is definitely building up for a huge war in ESVI.

Spenzkrieg on
  • Options
    MorskittarMorskittar Lord Warlock Engineer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Who keeps making a mess of my house? Whenever I come back, there's plates lying around, food on the floor, and goblets knocked over.

Does Lydia get depressed if left behind and start throwing stuff around? Is she having Viking chick slumber parties? What's going on?

snm_sig.jpg
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    lu tze wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

You on PC? It's just a bug, I got it once when I was using the console to level skills to test out a build.

Open the console and type "player.getavinfo onehanded" and it'll tell you your base level and what's affecting it. If there are no modifiers, then use setav to return it to normal.

I haven't been using the console for anything, just tooling around the final dungeon in the Thieves Guild questline. Apparently nothing is affecting it, since under "Modifiers" it has 0.00 for Temp, Perm, and Damage.

How strange. I wonder if, for some reason, hitting 50 in it somehow ticked it back over to 20, which was what my starting 1h value was, being a Khajiit with the +5 bonus.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    edited November 2011
    I will say this, without laying down any spoilers, that pretty much every faction/race now despises and/or hates at least one other.

No other ES game have I felt such vitriol literally boiling just beneath the surface.
    Morskittar wrote:
    Who keeps making a mess of my house? Whenever I come back, there's plates lying around, food on the floor, and goblets knocked over.

Does Lydia get depressed if left behind and start throwing stuff around? Is she having Viking chick slumber parties? What's going on?

Think about it this way:

Lydia is honorbound to protect you and she is an adventurer at heart. You are out risking your life and she is kept home guarding your chest full of crap. I'm glad Bethesda put in a bit of human behavior that would signify Lydia becoming frustrated and eventually just snaps into an alcohol fueled rage. I wish there was an option where you could, say, tell her to take care of one of your miscellaneous missions. It makes her feel useful and keeps her from destroying your house.

Spenzkrieg on
  • Options
    lu tzelu tze Sweeping the monestary steps.Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    korodullin wrote:
    How strange.
    It's gamebryo, shit happens.

Best to just greet this stuff with a shrug, at least on PC you can fix it easily.

lu tze on
    World's best janitor
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    So I saw what I thought was a wolf wandering around, so I sneakshot it with my bow, and it lived! So I went to get a better look and it was a stray dog, and it started to attack me since I shot it

well I felt bad, so I spent a dragon soul in Kyne's Blessing to calm the dog, then I used Courage to heal it back up, and just then real wolves attacked, and we fought them together and now Dogahkiin is my best friend

if I tell him to go back to his home, will he go to my home now?

Also, I'm doing dual-wielding, does Savage Strike(Standing power attacks do 25% bonus damage with a chance to decapitate your enemies) count for the normal standing dual-wield power attack?
    Same with Fighting Stance(Power attacks with one-handed weapons cost 25% less stamina)

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Doing the Dark Brotherhood quests has me killing some duders who I know from other quests and makes me sad for just a slight second before the arrow hits them in the chest.

And the Dual Weilding sword decap is choice.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MahnmutMahnmut Registered User regular
    lu tze wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

I got this with archery. I think it went away after I trained the skill again or leveled up or something.

Steam/LoL: Jericho89
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    I will say this, without laying down any spoilers, that pretty much every faction/race now despises and/or hates at least one other.

No other ES game have I felt such vitriol literally boiling just beneath the surface.
    Morskittar wrote:

Think about it this way:

Lydia is honorbound to protect you and she is an adventurer at heart. You are out risking your life and she is kept home guarding your chest full of crap. I'm glad Bethesda put in a bit of human behavior that would signify Lydia becoming frustrated and eventually just snaps into an alcohol fueled rage. I wish there was an option where you could, say, tell her to take care of one of your miscellaneous missions. It makes her feel useful and keeps her from destroying your house.

GameFAQs user had a bizzare story of the wife vs housecarl stealing his shit...
    There is some kind of open chest there, and I thought: "OH, this is just awesome for displaying all my rubys, emeralds and whatnot."

So I put them all in there. As soon as I am done, my housecarl comes along. My wife stands close, and this happens:

Housecarl: "What's this?"
    Wife: "I saw it first!"
    Housecarl: *something about taking the stuff*
    Wife: "Over my dead body!"
    Housecarl: "That can be arranged."

So my lovely Mjoll takes out here axe... the housecarl, however, runs upstairs.
    Grabs my Staff of Magnus from it's display case.. and starts blasting my wifey with it.

I disposed of his body by dragging it on the bed in the guest room, nobody else every stays there.

...wouldn't have thought this whole thing to be possible.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    lu tze wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    How strange.
    It's gamebryo, shit happens.

Best to just greet this stuff with a shrug, at least on PC you can fix it easily.

Apparently what caused it was some kind of rollover bug, where hitting 50 in my 1h skill rolled it back to 20, my starting value at the beginning of the game. I just duplicated it several times by reloading a previous save. It looks like I had gotten just enough skill to leave me at 0 xp for the next 1h level, and that triggered it.

Oh, Gamebryo.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    I don't understand Enchanting.

Am I right that I should try to get the perk which allows bound weapons to cast soul tap? I don't seem to understand how Soul Tapped weapons recharge themselves? Does a Grand Soul Gem absorb souls of mudcrabs? I'm essentially stumped on all of it. The wiki didn't help to much either.

Help. D:

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
  • Options
    KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the one-handed perk "savage strike: standing power attacks can decapitate/do 25% bonus damage" applies to dual wielding?

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • Options

Am I right that I should try to get the perk which allows bound weapons to cast soul tap? I don't seem to understand how Soul Tapped weapons recharge themselves? Does a Grand Soul Gem absorb souls of mudcrabs? I'm essentially stumped on all of it. The wiki didn't help to much either.

Help. D:

Each creature has a soul value. If you kill a mudcrab with a soul trap weapon (I'd imagine it has a petty soul) it will attempt to trap the soul in a petty soul gem. If you don't have one in your inventory it will go to the next higher tier and so on and so forth. They will go up in tiers.

However, if you kill a mammoth and don't have an empty grand soul gem you will not trap the soul.

Get the perk if you need it but be cautious about farming souls.

• Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular

Spenzkrieg wrote:

Morrowind sort of came close with Dunmer/Everyone else relations.

But yeah, I agree.

• Options
    edited November 2011
    Spenzkrieg wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

In the Main Story where you infiltrate the Thalmor Embassy and steal documents... read the dossier report by the Thalmer on both the Blade contact you have and also Ulfric. That kind of delves into how the Thalmer are handling Ulfric and also his up-front and secondary motivations in the rebellion.

Long story short the Thalmor captured Ulric in the Thalmor/Empire war. They brainwashed him into starting a rebellion when they learned he was the son of a Jarl and, manipulating Nordic tradition knew they could force him to usurping the King of Skyrim and driving a further rift in the Empire. Considering the Nords were a big reason the Empire was able to take back the Imperial City (with both manpower and also raw materials for equipment) this was a huge strategic boon for the Thalmor. However, internally, Ulfric has started deviating from being a puppet of the Thalmor into more of a egomaniac which is a very human reaction to powerlust. I thought Ulfric a shallow xenophobe before I read that. Now I just felt kinda bad for him as he was nothing but a tool in the power-struggle between the Empire and Thalmor.

This is definitely building up for a huge war in ESVI.

The notes I read stated it a bit differently from what you posted.

(Spoiled for a summary of the mess that lead up to the civil war in Skyrim/possible aftermath of it.)
    They didn't brainwash him, or anything like that. They said they had an interrogator "accidentally" leak (possibly) false information to him, that lead to him starting the war in Skyrim. The Thalmor consider him an "agent", but only in the same way a spy might consider someone that had been unknowingly tapped for information as "playing for their side".

I don't think we're ever actually told what the Thalmor told him. But apparently, whatever he was told, it sent Ulfric into such a rage that he stormed back home, challenged the High King to a duel, and plunged the whole country into warfare when the Imperials went "nuh-uh" to his claims of secession. Which in turn started the whole mess with whats-her-name-the-Fair wanting to be High Queen, Tulius and the Empire officially supporting her claim, and every Jarl except for Balgruuf the Greater picking a side and drawing a line in the sand, to the point where most of the Jarls won't even send troops out to their villages to defend them properly from the dragon attacks.

The Thalmor are hoping to use the war in Skyrim as a way to draw off resources against the Imperials for when they resume hostilities against them, a short time from now (This would most likely be DLC/sequel fodder. Cyrodiil and Hammerfell are completely defined in terms of land-mass and High Rock has some structures in it too, I believe.). To that end, they're trying to prolong the war with spies/infiltrators for as long as possible.

They don't want the Imperials to have control over Skyrim, because they could use it as a base for supplying their front-line troops with weapons, or recruits (The latter is unlikely at this point.). And they definitely don't want Ulfric to have it, because

A: That'd mean they'd have a third potential nation wanting to kick their ass (Hammerfell went independent, and pretty much obliterated the Thalmor invasion force sent to take them over. That's why you can find Hammerfell clothing in a few select stores in the game, and you can see their agents in a few locations.) when they start up a war against the Imperials. Which is pretty much a sure-fire way for them to get exterminated.

B: That'd mean that Ulfric was outside of their realm of control. Way outside it. As it is now, they can drag the war on, and both sides will get crushed when the Thalmor show up with a fresh invasion force.

The whole banning of Talos worship and stuff was just the last straw on the camels proverbial back.

Ulfric definitely starts out as a patsy. But he's by no means willing, or even wanting to help the Thalmor. Quite the opposite. Given his distaste for the Imperials and how the Empire has declined, he'd probably send a legion of berserker's to go tear up their homeland, given half the chance.

Archonex on
  • Options
    Klyka wrote:
    Does anyone know if the one-handed perk "savage strike: standing power attacks can decapitate/do 25% bonus damage" applies to dual wielding?

I know it lets you decap enemies while dual wielding, but I hit like a mack truck anyway so I can't really say if the 25% bonus is factored in.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Help. D:

Each creature has a soul value. If you kill a mudcrab with a soul trap weapon (I'd imagine it has a petty soul) it will attempt to trap the soul in a petty soul gem. If you don't have one in your inventory it will go to the next higher tier and so on and so forth. They will go up in tiers.

However, if you kill a mammoth and don't have an empty grand soul gem you will not trap the soul.

The Perk auto recharges your weapon while killing none humanoids, it does not give you a soul trap on every kill.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    So, for those that think Destruction magic is too weak, I'd just like to say that I 4 shot

Main Quest End game spoiler
    Alduin

with incinerate.

Not very climactic, really. Oh, don't even have destruction magic maxed. Still at 97. :-p

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular

Help. D:

You should only get the perk that allows Bound Weapons to cast Soul Trap if you use Bound Weapons, they're in the Conjuration magic tree.

Weapons that are enchanted are recharged by applying a Soul Gem with a soul trapped in it

I'm pretty sure Soul Gems will fill intelligently, so if you have an empty Petty Soul Gem, the mudcrab soul will fill that first before a Grand Soul Gem. If a Grand Soul Gem is all you have open, then it'll get put in there.

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • Options
    johnwingjohnwing Registered User regular
    I think a got a quest that is bugged. I can't complete it anymore. It is a companion quest in which a have to "convince" someone in Riften. The problem is when I went to convince him with a brawl the whole inn joined in. He couldn't be killed since we were in brawl mode, so I went out and back again. Now he is nowhere to be seen and a quest arrow hangs in the air, pointing to nothing. Is there anything I can do to repair it?

• Options
    Lawful EvilLawful Evil Registered User regular
    Spenzkrieg wrote:

Help. D:

Okay, I got that part. So no soul trapping if I'm killing wolves and only have Grand Soul Gems in my inventory. How does one go about recharging enchanted weapons though? If I have a weapon enchanted with soul trap and a petty soul gem and go kill petty soul creatures, does that mean every kill is recharging my weapon?

Do not believe that the impossible exists. That is why you fail.
This discussion has been closed.