As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    I really dig that retexture. The original Nightingale armor didn't feel like it had enough "pop", and retextures that recolored it never looked quite right.

I still like the Guild Master's armor more, even if it doesn't have quite as useful a set of enchants.

I prefer the original. A master thief's armor shouldn't pop.

Maybe it's just my old man showing, but I tend to dislike all of the "SHINY" retextures. Are you an adventurer, or are you walking down the catwalk?

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Or, if you are sufficiently stealthy, turn yourself in and then break into the local jail and take all your stuff back from the evidence locker.

• Options
    Derrick wrote:
    korodullin wrote:
    I really dig that retexture. The original Nightingale armor didn't feel like it had enough "pop", and retextures that recolored it never looked quite right.

I still like the Guild Master's armor more, even if it doesn't have quite as useful a set of enchants.

Maybe it's just my old man showing, but I tend to dislike all of the "SHINY" retextures. Are you an adventurer, or are you walking down the catwalk?

It doesn't glitter in the darkness or anything. That pic was taken in direct sunlight. It still looks pretty stealthy.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Anyone else having trouble finding flawless sapphires? I've seen exactly two in the entire game so far, and one was a quest item i had to give up. I still havent been able to finish that gem vendors quest in rifton cause of this. I'm swimming in flawless everything elses...I've barely ever sold any gem ive gotten ...hope there is more use for them cause i just feel like i might need them one day.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    azith28 wrote:
    Anyone else having trouble finding flawless sapphires? I've seen exactly two in the entire game so far, and one was a quest item i had to give up. I still havent been able to finish that gem vendors quest in rifton cause of this. I'm swimming in flawless everything elses...I've barely ever sold any gem ive gotten ...hope there is more use for them cause i just feel like i might need them one day.

I didn't start finding them until level 30+

-edit-

It's pretty safe to sell gems. They are a currency.

Regina Fong on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    InkSplat wrote:
    So, has anyone mentioned this mod yet?

http://www.skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1601

Basically a super crafting mod that includes Spells and elemental arrows, new ingredients, and crazy stuff like that. "Summon Undead Dragon", "Fire Bomb", "Ebony Frost Arrows", "Holy Armor". Pretty cool stuff. Thinking of installing it tonight and giving it a go.

Damn, I was hoping you could craft spells with that.

• Options
    PhillisherePhillishere Registered User regular
    Mining with a pickaxe is a good way to get flawless gems.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    azith28 wrote:

I didn't start finding them until level 30+

-edit-

It's pretty safe to sell gems. They are a currency.

I like to keep my flawless gems and turn them into necklaces. Smithing boost and they're worth a lot. You can enchant them to practice that, too.

• Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Derrick wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

It doesn't glitter in the darkness or anything. That pic was taken in direct sunlight. It still looks pretty stealthy.

Yeah, the default Nightingale texture is just kind of muddy and blends together. I just wanted a retexturing that lets you make out the detailing on it a bit better without it being all "omg so gritty and realistic with this texture having been run through a Photoshop noise filter a few times!" like some of the others I've seen.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    Derrick wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Yeah, the default Nightingale texture is just kind of muddy and blends together. I just wanted a retexturing that lets you make out the detailing on it a bit better without it being all "omg so gritty and realistic with this texture having been run through a Photoshop noise filter a few times!" like some of the others I've seen.

All of the other retextures are pretty crappy. The recolored ones are heinous.

• Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:
    I keep getting in trouble with guard for no reason what so ever.

Ok so there are a thousand reasons... but each time they run up and demand I come with them and pay the hefty fine on 1 gold.

so I pay them 200 to look the other way because 90% of my armor is stolen, but what the hell did I do? Scream at a chicken?

That 200 gold doesn't take the crime away, just stops the guards bothering you for a while

Just pay the 1 gold

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    UrQuanLord88UrQuanLord88 Registered User regular
    The Lioness is racist.
    ?.jpg

http://steamcommunity.com/id/urquanlord88
    urquanlord88.png
    Streaming 8PST on weeknights
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    A 1 gold bounty is probably due to accidentally picking up someones sweet roll in plain sight.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    Snarkman3Snarkman3 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Some big ol' Forsworn thpoilerth
    So, I had to do the mission in Markath about the murders that led me directly to the King in rags. I have a profound hate for those hippies, so I happily took the oportunity. Unfortunately, I just followed the orders as they appeared, helping him escape from the prison and savagely murdering all the guards in the city. I never got to kill him, I didn't even know I could. I feel so dirty, I have done so much wrong. I could load an old save, but I'd rather live with the shame of making the Forsworn stronger, as a lesson for my lizard. A shame for him to have.

That being said, I checked the UESP and saw nothing of importance, but does this outcome actually change the power the Forsworn have in Skyrim or is it just, you know, something that happens? I would love another quest where I get the find the King in rags again and clear my name, but I believe that is not possible :(

Snarkman3 on
  • Options
    CormacCormac Registered User regular
    Mei Hikari wrote:
    From http://deadendthrills.com/2011/11/madness-in-the-method/:
    Another thing with uGrids – this is getting a bit long, isn’t it – is that your savegame gets ‘bound’ to which value you set. So if you set a value of 7 and save the game, that save won’t work if you set the value back down to 5. There is a way of recovering it, though:

1) Load game with uGridsToLoad at the ‘safe’ setting – the one it was at when you saved.
    2) Load the save, which should load correctly.
    3) Open the console and type the following:

setini “ugridstoload:general” 5
    saveini
    refreshini

This has restored the uGridsToLoad setting to its default while your save is already open.

4) Save the game. The save you create now will work at any uGrids setting from the default up.

I'll keep that stuff in mind if I run into problems again. I decided to just do a fresh install tonight and get through the intro sequence without any mods. Once I'm out of that area I'll reinstall all of the mods, redo the .ini tweaks, and hope all goes well.

Steam: Gridlynk | PSN: Gridlynk | FFXIV: Jarvellis Mika
  • Options
    milk ducksmilk ducks High Mucky Muck Big Tits TownRegistered User regular
    I had some bracers that granted me +10% One-Handed Melee Damage. I disenchanted them (so I'd have acccess to the enchantment later on), but when I try to apply it, it says it only grants +2% One-Handed damage. Is that because my Enchanting skill is really low? Will it get better as I level the skill?

• Options
    jackaljackal Fuck Yes. That is an orderly anal warehouse. Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    A 1 gold bounty is probably due to accidentally picking up someones sweet roll in plain sight.

That's not fair. When someone steals my sweet roll the guards just mock me when I report it.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Snarkman3 wrote:
    So, I had to do the mission in Markath about the murders that led me directly to the King in rags. I have a profound hate for those hippies, so I happily took the oportunity. Unfortunately, I just followed the orders as they appeared, helping him escape from the prison and savagely murdering all the guards in the city. I never got to kill him, I didn't even know I could. I feel so dirty, I have done so much wrong. I could load an old save, but I'd rather live with the shame of making the Forsworn stronger, as a lesson for my lizard. A shame for him to have.

That being said, I checked the UESP and saw nothing of importance, but does this outcome actually change the power the Forsworn have in Skyrim or is it just, you know, something that happens? I would love another quest where I get the find the King in rags again and clear my name, but I believe that is not possible :(

I realized what was going on at the last second before
    the King emerged from the Dwarf tunnel, and killed him, which made all of his followers hostile so that I had to help the Markarth guards kill them, too. When the massacre was over, the head Silver-Blood came over and said, "Hey, chump, thanks for doing my dirty work for me, here's some gold, heh heh heh." The King in Rags questline is one of those patented Bethesda/Bioware "There is no Right answer" questlines where no matter what you do, the jerks win.

• Options
    Snarkman3 wrote:

He's actually really tough to kill depending on your build. My two-handed/heavy armor no-magic dude had a lot of issues with him.

My assassin summoned
    the shade of Lucien Lachance
    and then backstabbed the fucker with a shiv. Short fight.

• Options
    Fairchild wrote:
    the King emerged from the Dwarf tunnel, and killed him, which made all of his followers hostile so that I had to help the Markarth guards kill them, too. When the massacre was over, the head Silver-Blood came over and said, "Hey, chump, thanks for doing my dirty work for me, here's some gold, heh heh heh." The King in Rags questline is one of those patented Bethesda/Bioware "There is no Right answer" questlines where no matter what you do, the jerks win.

Nah, right after he gave me my stuff back I slit his throat. Then I went to his house and murdered his wife. It was win-win.

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    Snarkman3 wrote:

As far as I know that is the end of it. You can go to his cave and kill him though, at least you can feel better about killing him.

I killed him while he was escaping, being a mage without my gear made it hard to kill him and the rest of the gang in prison. The guards still talk to you like he escaped, but he was a big old ash pile right on the steps. Oh well.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    milk ducks wrote:
    I had some bracers that granted me +10% One-Handed Melee Damage. I disenchanted them (so I'd have acccess to the enchantment later on), but when I try to apply it, it says it only grants +2% One-Handed damage. Is that because my Enchanting skill is really low? Will it get better as I level the skill?

Yes its because your skill is low. It also depends on what size soul is in the gemstone you use. With 100 enchanting and the largest soul usage you usually get 3x what it 'default' says the enchant does. more with potion/item +enchanting skill boost items.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    milk ducks wrote:

Yes and yes.

• Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Fairchild wrote:

Nah, right after he gave me my stuff back I slit his throat. Then I went to his house and murdered his wife. It was win-win.

That's the YOJIMBO/FISTFUL OF DOLLARS answer; just kill everybody. But,
    isn't Silver Blood's wife already dead ? If you talk to him in the course of your investigation, two of his houseservants turn out to be Forsworn plants (which makes you wonder just who is controlling whom) and murder her. Which is meant to show that even tho you help Silver Blood solidify his control over Markarth, he has paid in blood for his triumph.

• Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    Favorite NPC interaction: Wylandria in Riften. Hilarious.

• Options
    HenrickHenrick SpainRegistered User new member
    Allright, let's see if this is doable:
    My character is a shield and sword warrior that, jedi style, tends to use magic a lot (need a light? no need to use torches, let's cast some shinny star right there, fight too though? no problemo, I just summon a phantom wolf to aid me, need to sneak past someone? I'll just muffle my boots up).
    The only problem is, although being a melee fighter, I really dislike all the armor in the game. I'm in love though with the robes. So awesome and they even come with a handy bag to put all my wonderful loot in it.
    So, I'd love to keep bashing my shield and thrusting my sword in the heat of battle... but wearing mage robes.
    Is this doable? Are there any cool enchants to up armor rating in some robes? Useful perks?

• Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    You'll want to look at the Alteration tree.

B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    It's doable with the perks to increase the "skin" line of spells from the Alteration tree

but I find that it's a hassle to keep recasting them every two minutes, considering there's basically reason to not wear armor beyond wanting to use the Archmage robes

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    I started off with a high elf mage, and just finished the companion quest and the first town's shopkeeper quest before I even started the main quest. I carried the dude in the first town that knows archery and now I carry Aela and I'm a lvl 14 mage with 70 archery.

I think I'm just gonna be an archer now that knows badass magic when needed.

are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    What has greater or grand souls? I want to go hunting to fill up some gems I have.

asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    SamSam Registered User regular
    beat the main quest. man, that was underwhelming.

• Options
    ToyDToyD Registered User regular
    Sam wrote:

I don't get this from everyone. I thought it was ok. What did you all want?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    DanHibiki wrote:
    I keep getting in trouble with guard for no reason what so ever.

Ok so there are a thousand reasons... but each time they run up and demand I come with them and pay the hefty fine on 1 gold.

so I pay them 200 to look the other way because 90% of my armor is stolen, but what the hell did I do? Scream at a chicken?

I don't know, could you use the console to clear your bounty. I've been in a similar situation RE: having to dodge a very low bounty (I think from friendly fire in the Stormcloak quests). I'd like it if your bounty slowly decreased, say by 1 gold each day, until you're clean.
    I love the idea of the Speech perks dealing more with opening up high-end items from NPCs. As you get further along and have heeps of gold, you could use Speech perks to buy top end gear, mega potions, hire more elite companions, and the most crippling poisons. It would just be a matter of opening up a "Do you have any exclusive items" chat chain. That kills two birds (Speech becomes advantageous, gold becomes relevant at the later levels).

Speech also could have been tied to Shouts. Make them stronger, recharges lower, faster spoken, etc.

As it stands, Speech perks (and a couple others) really aren't worth exploring.

Also it's a problem of no longer having skills that don't count towards levelling up.

• Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    Sam wrote:

indeed... I think Preach said it before, it's basically a 10 hour tutorial if you just run through it first.

• Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    Has anyone encountered a Golden Saint? I don't remember seeing one.

}
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    What has greater or grand souls? I want to go hunting to fill up some gems I have.
    Pretty sure mammoths have grand souls.

edit - jdarksun's post above is way more helpful.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Jephery wrote:
    Has anyone encountered a Golden Saint? I don't remember seeing one.

I think Dremora are the highest class of Daedra around this time

• Options
    RadioElectricRadioElectric Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    ToyD wrote:
    Sam wrote:

an ending...

After all the shit Bethesda got the last time they did that?

Canonical ending: PC completes MQ, destroys big bad with Plot Device (thus saving the world), only to wander into a dungeon and get one-hit-killed by a bandit chief.

Edit: Deaths still seem to be handled rather clunkily by TES. I am glad there isn't any respawn mechanism though.

RadioElectric on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    It absolutely drives me crazy that speech is never high enough to successfully persuade anyone, yet the persuade perk is like 3 ranks deep and it levels so slowly.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
This discussion has been closed.