As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Skyrim] & [The Elder Scrolls] Skyrim's second update may bork the game! Be wary!

• Options
    hatedinamericahatedinamerica Registered User regular
    That's weird because I just fought him for the first time yesterday (I think), at the same time as a dragon, and I don't think he was even capable of damaging me? He kept doing things but my health never really dipped down at all.
    While the ancient dragon, on the other hand, could kill me in one blast of frost breath if I didn't drink several potions part-way through his attack.

And I'm wearing barely upgraded (i.e. 100 smithing, no crazy boosting) Dragon Plate with barely any other elemental/magic resistance stuff.

• Options
    Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    I don't even think the nord frost resistance is working anymore. I got one-shotted by a blizzard trap pedastal thingy yesterday. I have a lot of health. That should not have happened.

• Options
    Zilla360Zilla360 21st Century. |She/Her| Trans* Woman In Aviators Firing A Bazooka. ⚛️Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I just realized something. I don't think the dragons have a walk animation. Has anyone see a dragon walk across the ground? I'm still dieing for the first, "play as a dragon" mod and hope there's a way to, you know, walk.
    If you want to play as a dragon you can (sort of) do it already using the console:
    player.setrace dragonrace

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W0ZTyEe-aaY
    And yes, they can walk. Not quite playable yet, but once the CK is out...

Zilla360 on
  • Options
    TalithTalith 変態という名の紳士 Miami, FLRegistered User regular
    Resistances are not working at all currently. Enemy mages are so happy right now.

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    I have to be honest, the broken resistances haven't really effected me that much. I never put together a fire set for dragons, I would just kinda try to avoid the breath and hope for the best. If I was playing on a harder difficulty, then I could see it. I probably should bump it up, but it is my first TES game other than maybe an hour or two in Oblivion. So my excuse is I'm just trying to get a handle on everything.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    For anyone at work and wanting to listen to the Skyrim soundtrack it's available at

http://grooveshark.com/#/album/Elder+Scrolls+V+Skyrim+OST/7213495

The soundtrack is really really good.

steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    It's not the dragons man. We've always been able to dodge, hide, or shout them to avoid damage. The mages? Those boss mages? That's what resist magic and element racial traits and potions are meant for. All it takes is for one major spell to connect and you're down.

I'm a Bretan and I ran into this one boss necromancer. Drank a 30~40% resist frost potion, a 20% resist magic potion, and activated dragon skin. I got one shot by a frost spell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    It's actually kind of made the difficulty a little more balanced. No more standing in dragon breath with just my Breton resistance keeping me safe (my gear is mostly Stamina and damage boosts). I am a 35 Stealth Conj. Archer though, so "challenge" isn't all that important to me and it's not like I make a habit of taking any hits in a fight anyway, so currently it's just a bit more tense when I don't down that Draugr Scourge on the first hit.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    korodullin wrote:
    Maddoc wrote:
    So someone finally uploaded a mod that fixes Ebony blade to use the two handed skill instead of one handed

Also, it classifies it as Ebony for purposes of Smithing upgrading

Though, it still sort of acts like a one handed weapon in terms of swing speed, and base damage

I have to wonder if it was originally intended to be a one handed weapon (like it was in previous games), and they made a last minute switch to a two handed model and type literally without changing a single other thing in the weapon

Maybe a mod to make it into a one handed weapon, using a reskinned Blades sword or something for its model, wouldn't be better

I imagine the Ebony Blade was switched to two-handed to avoid the same problem Oblivion had where there weren't really any other artifact-level two-handed weapons outside of Volendrung, since none of the other usual suspects (Chrysamere, Ice Blade of the Monarch, Umbra) are in the game.

I actually prefer Ebony Blade as a two hander, since there's already a one handed katana in game anyway.

It definitely has one handed stats, although with its faster swing speed and unlimited charge absorb health effect it's arguable that it's comparable to two handers regardless (Especially once modded so that it can be enhanced via smithing)

• Options
    Is there a mod that makes Dawnbreaker and Nightingale Blade benefit from smithing?

7244qyoka3pp.gif
  • Options
    MechMantisMechMantis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Bloodsheed wrote:
    It's actually kind of made the difficulty a little more balanced. No more standing in dragon breath with just my Breton resistance keeping me safe (my gear is mostly Stamina and damage boosts). I am a 35 Stealth Conj. Archer though, so "challenge" isn't all that important to me and it's not like I make a habit of taking any hits in a fight anyway, so currently it's just a bit more tense when I don't down that Draugr Scourge on the first hit.

It ALSO makes the Breton, Nord, Dark Elf, Wood Elf, and Argonian resistance traits completely useless.

MechMantis on
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    MechMantis wrote:
    Bloodsheed wrote:

It ALSO makes the Breton, Nord, Dark Elf, Wood Elf, and Argonian resistance traits completely useless.

Well yes (as I said, I'm a Breton). I'm certainly not saying this is a good thing and should stay that way, just making lemonade from lemons and all that. Or Mudcrab Juice from Mudcrabs.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    edited December 2011
    Talith wrote:
    Is there a mod that makes Dawnbreaker and Nightingale Blade benefit from smithing?

I could swear I've seen one, but I'm having trouble finding it now

Dawnbreaker in particular is, at its base, a pretty good weapon considering it has 1666 charges on its effect

EDIT: Also you can balance the difficulty a bit more by INCREASING THE DIFFICULTY.(Yes, I'm going to keep saying this every time someone mentions game difficulty because I feel like it still hasn't sunk the fuck in)
    We don't need Bethesda breaking the game to make it more difficult.

Maddoc on
  • Options
    HavelockHavelock Registered User regular
    Talith wrote:
    It's not the dragons man. We've always been able to dodge, hide, or shout them to avoid damage. The mages? Those boss mages? That's what resist magic and element racial traits and potions are meant for. All it takes is for one major spell to connect and you're down.

I'm a Bretan and I ran into this one boss necromancer. Drank a 30~40% resist frost potion, a 20% resist magic potion, and activated dragon skin. I got one shot by a frost spell.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Same. On a Daedric quest I came upon a boss Necromancer. I'm a Nord, so when he flung this slow moving Frost spell I basically went "lol ok" and ran right at it to get him.

When my character flopped over dead from the spell I was very confused. And this was before the 1.2 patch.

• Options
    Catastrophe_XXVICatastrophe_XXVI Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote:
    Talith wrote:

I could swear I've seen one, but I'm having trouble finding it now

Dawnbreaker in particular is, at its base, a pretty good weapon considering it has 1666 charges on its effect

EDIT: Also you can balance the difficulty a bit more by INCREASING THE DIFFICULTY.(Yes, I'm going to keep saying this every time someone mentions game difficulty because I feel like it still hasn't sunk the fuck in)
    We don't need Bethesda breaking the game to make it more difficult.

There is a mod that swaps the ebony sword model for the Dawnbreaker model. I'm enjoying it.

PSN ID: Catastrophe_xxvi
    3DS FC: 5086-1134-6451
    Shiny Code: 3837
  • Options
    EmpiricalEmpirical USARegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but I thought I'd drop it in. Sorry if it's a repost:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4z9TdDCWN7g

The description on the page says there is a mod to have this play as your intro song, provides a link. Haven't tested it though. There is also a mp3 download link of it too.

EDIT: Just found that it had been posted previously but was only linked.
    Taranis wrote:
    This cover of the Dragonborn Comes is pretty good

http://youtu.be/4z9TdDCWN7g

Edit: I don't know why I can't get this to embed properly

Just place the long link in and the site takes care of the details from there.

Empirical on
    Poop nuggets.
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    Talith wrote:

http://skyrimnexus.com/downloads/file.php?id=1020

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    That mod is a good start, but unfortunately Dawnbreaker is absent

As is the Mace of Molag Bal and Mehrunes Razor, off the top of my head

• Options
    RedDawnRedDawn Registered User regular
    On my wood elf, I did notice a lot of poisons starting to hit harder. Another thing that annoyed me though, I tripped a floor plate on my thief, it didn't kill me or anything, but it isn't supposed to be possible.

I will say it is a lot of fun going through quests when my followers get hit by every bear trap that I just walk over. I started looking for them again because it made me feel bad.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    You can't upgrade Dawnbreaker? aw, man

How late is too late to begin training in something? I just found out that using a Bound Bow might be a better choice for my archer character since I didn't go up the heavy side of smithing, but I'm like, level 38 and haven't used anything but basic resto magic and haven't invested in magicka at all. How easy is Conjuration to grind? Is the perk/magicka investment going to be terribly heavy?

• Options
    EnderEnder Registered User regular
    @RedDawn,

That happens all the time to my sneaky character. Well, okay, maybe not ALL the time. But it does happen occasionally. I have yet to figure out what causes it.

• Options
    MuddBuddMuddBudd Registered User regular
    I upgraded Dawnbreaker in my vanilla game.

You need the magic item smithing perk. And it took an Ebony bar.

There's no plan, there's no race to be run
    The harder the rain, honey, the sweeter the sun.
  • Options
    El MuchoEl Mucho Registered User regular
    MuddBudd wrote:
    I upgraded Dawnbreaker in my vanilla game.

You need the magic item smithing perk. And it took an Ebony bar.

Same, I have dawnbreaker up to flawless on my vanilla game.

BNet: ElMucho#1392
    Origin: theRealElMucho
  • Options
    So you can

I just doublechecked, and yeah, I have no smithing mods installed yet and was able to improve it. I don't know if it counts as Ebony toward perk'd smithing because I don't have Ebony smithing, but there you go.

Just goes to show you how ridiculously inconsistent the game is about what you can and cannot upgrade.

• Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    You can upgrade it, but none of the perks will allow for double-upgrading, so it ends up falling behind damage-wise. That said, it has one of the most broken enchants in the game. It really doesn't need the extra damage.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    I've never actually used it, but I've seen the enchant on it. What's so broken about it? Aside from the Draugr thing, it doesn't look all that special to me (in fact, I think it and the Nightingale Blade are both fairly hideous).

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    I've never actually used it, but I've seen the enchant on it. What's so broken about it? Aside from the Draugr thing, it doesn't look all that special to me (in fact, I think it and the Nightingale Blade are both fairly hideous).

It doesn't run out in ten hits like almost every other enchantment, particularly of that magnitude. (It has 1666 charges)

• Options
    edited December 2011
    Ah, right. Yeah, that is a thing.

I wish soul trapping wasn't so awkward to use now. Soul trap weapons tend to either have a really short duration on themselves or they are hard to find, and the spell is hells of expensive to cast unless you level up Conjuration a goodly bit.

Granted, most enchanted weapons are pretty awful to begin with so I guess that makes up for it.

korodullin on
    ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    EvangirEvangir Registered User regular
    It trivializes any encounter with Undead and has nearly unlimited charges.

PSN/XBL/STEAM: Evangir - Starcraft 2: Bulwark.955 - Origin: Bulwark955 - Diablo 3: Bulwark#1478
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:

I wish soul trapping wasn't so awkward to use now. Soul trap weapons tend to either have a really short duration on themselves or they are hard to find, and the spell is hells of expensive to cast unless you level up Conjuration a goodly bit.

Granted, most enchanted weapons are pretty awful to begin with so I guess that makes up for it.

Soul trap bows seem to get a lot of mileage as long as you set it to 1 second

• Options
    Maddoc wrote:
    korodullin wrote:

Soul trap bows seem to get a lot of mileage as long as you set it to 1 second

Definitely the way to go, particularly if you are trying to sneak attack as much as possible. I've always used just used Soul Trap bows in Elder Scrolls games. It's so satisfying to see a room full of dudes and to take them all out in super cool bullet-time mode before any of them even know you're there.....doubly so if you have a Soul Trap bow because not only do you feel like a badass and get that sweet critical hit "thunk," you also get that amazing soul trap thundery sound effect. I love that sound so much.

• Options
    Which is nice, I guess... if you're a sneaky archer.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    VickiVicki Victoria EnglandRegistered User regular
    Click to Enlarge:

Skyrim237.jpg

• Options
    IDDQDIDDQD Registered User regular
    Gorgeous Vicki! Big fan of your screenshots :)

Live: Flynnt Loch | PSN: FlynntLoch | Steam: flynnt_loch
  • Options
    korodullin wrote:
    Which is nice, I guess... if you're a sneaky archer.

Well, it works equally well with any other weapon but for me, personally, if I was using a soul trap 1 or 2 hander, I would want maxed enchanting for the double enchant perk to add some more damage as well. But I don't have maxed enchanting so I just use the bow set to 1 second.

I really should level up enchanting some more.

• Options
    DerrickDerrick Registered User regular
    Pro-tip- enchant cost on weapons depends on your level of skill with that level of magic.

Like, my arch mage with 100 destruction will take forever to blow through a staff of fireball. But a staff of paralyze is out in like 5 casts.

It probably works the same way for enchant fire, etc.

Steam and CFN: Enexemander
  • Options
    CabezoneCabezone Registered User regular
    It's not weapon enchants, it's specifically for staff.

• Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Soul Gem Power / (Enchantment Cost - Enchanting Skill) = Charges or Static number

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    Hahaha. I've been wondering what's been eating up my hard drive space, and turns out it's been Fraps, whose video recording hotkey was set to F9 and enabled. So while playing Skyrim with Fraps running, I've managed to accumulate around 300 GB of footage via quickloading.

May as well see if I have anything interesting in this twenty or thirty hours of footage.

ZvOMJnu.png
  • Options
    Sharp10rSharp10r Registered User regular
    I just started dabbling in enchanting, and made what I thought was a rocking ebony mace with lightning, but WOW do those charges get used up fast. I guess I should have gone for a more middle of the road approach on the enchant. Live and learn. Max out for profit, middle for use.

This discussion has been closed.