Options

Science fiction, and science FACT! (such as ANCIENT ALIENS)

19495969799

Posts

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    I think the added heat isn't as big of an issue as the added ability to trap heat

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    Metzger MeisterMetzger Meister It Gets Worse before it gets any better.Registered User regular
    Milk is legit one of my favorite drinks ever. Love milk so much.

  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    http://helios.gsfc.nasa.gov/qa_sun.html#sunenergymass

    According to this we use/produce about 1/10000th the amount of energy the sun hits us with.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    I think the added heat isn't as big of an issue as the added ability to trap heat

    I guess the sun just completely overshadows any capability we have

  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Well, think of it this way. Once upon a time, all the oil and shit that we're burning was in the environment, in the air, in plants and animals the walked the earth. At that time, Earth was WAY more humid and warm than it is now. Obviously life existed, but it was way different than it was now. Over time, the CO2 in the form of animals and plants got trapped underground, turned into fossil fuels, and taken out of the carbon cycle. As a result, the Earth got much cooler

    It's not actual heat being released into the atmosphere that causes climate change, it's the gases that trap heat. The sun is always bombarding us with heat energy-- more CO2 means that less of that heat energy escapes into space. Instead it's trapped here, and the planet gets warmer.

    Sorry if this seems a bit nonsensical, it is late and I am tired

    edit: also I dun been beat'd

    Didgeridoo on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    I hope you're eating Thin Mints, which are the only acceptable girl scout cookie

    I will not abide insults against tagalongs

  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    LET THE HOLY WARS BEGIN

    CHOOSE YOUR DELICIOUS SIDES

  • Options
    Fire TruckFire Truck I love my SELFRegistered User regular
  • Options
    mensch-o-maticmensch-o-matic Registered User regular
    are girl scout cookies more or less tasty than cadbury eggs

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    thin mints 4 life

  • Options
    HeadCreepsHeadCreeps NOW IS THE TIME FOR DRINKING! Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    thin mints 4 life

    damn straight!

    vEaRQgH.png
  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    blegh cookies

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    I hope you're eating Thin Mints, which are the only acceptable girl scout cookie

    I will not abide insults against tagalongs

    You and me, CD.

    You and me.

    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    Dichotomy wrote:
    blegh cookies

    you aren't human

    you're either above or below humanity but you can't be a member of it

  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    are girl scout cookies more or less tasty than cadbury eggs

    Cadbury eggs make me barfy, so I guess I can't really comment

    Personally I think that thin mints are possibly the greatest sugary treat to have ever graced the earth

    especially FROZEN holy shiiiiiit

  • Options
    DidgeridooDidgeridoo Flighty Dame Registered User regular
    Weaver wrote:
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

    House-Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

  • Options
    DichotomyDichotomy Registered User regular
    Antimatter wrote:
    Dichotomy wrote:
    blegh cookies

    you aren't human

    you're either above or below humanity but you can't be a member of it

    ooga booga I am a monster

    0BnD8l3.gif
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

    House-Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

    That's not even funny. It's a real, serious disease.

  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    every once in a while it actually is Lupus

    and it's fairly horrible

  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    I am the master of bad decisions, I ate that box of cookies and now I have the stomach ache I knew I would.

    That didn't stop me from dropping 3.50 on something I knew I'd regret.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Gatsby wrote:
    This was an interesting read. It applies more to Australia than the US in terms of environment, though I suppose.

    http://theconversation.edu.au/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

    Reading this just makes me feel that there's no winning with this planet...

    Also this article really bugged me because it kept using sentient to describe animals in general.

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    Artreus wrote:
    Gatsby wrote:
    This was an interesting read. It applies more to Australia than the US in terms of environment, though I suppose.

    http://theconversation.edu.au/ordering-the-vegetarian-meal-theres-more-animal-blood-on-your-hands-4659

    Reading this just makes me feel that there's no winning with this planet...

    Also this article really bugged me because it kept using sentient to describe animals in general.

    Come on, they have to use something to tug at your heartstrings when talking about rats and other vermin.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Also thin mints are what is best in life

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    The only thing left in this pile of girl scout cookies in the office is Caramel Delights.

    I'm guessing people around here don't care for coconut.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Weaver wrote: »
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

    House-Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

    That's not even funny. It's a real, serious disease.

    Oh simmer down.

    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    TamTam Registered User regular
    well all animals are sentient
    unless the definition of sentient I'm working with is wrong (capable of sensory experience)
    I guess in general people sort of blend "sapient" and "sentient" together and maybe they're trying to exploit that

  • Options
    BYToadyBYToady Registered User regular
    28 day year. God damn hold on to your butts cause that planet is on the MOVE.

    Battletag BYToady#1454
  • Options
    ArtreusArtreus I'm a wizard And that looks fucked upRegistered User regular
    Tam wrote:
    well all animals are sentient
    unless the definition of sentient I'm working with is wrong (capable of sensory experience)
    I guess in general people sort of blend "sapient" and "sentient" together and maybe they're trying to exploit that

    That must be the thing

    http://atlanticus.tumblr.com/ PSN: Atlanticus 3DS: 1590-4692-3954 Steam: Artreus
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    BYToady wrote:
    The only thing left in this pile of girl scout cookies in the office is Caramel Delights.

    I'm guessing people around here don't care for coconut.

    Those people are fools!

  • Options
    tuggatugga Makin' movies Makin' songsRegistered User regular
    are girl scout cookies more or less tasty than cadbury eggs

    the mini cadbury eggs that come out just once a year are the magnum opus of all candy

  • Options
    OlivawOlivaw good name, isn't it? the foot of mt fujiRegistered User regular
    Druhim wrote:
    Weaver wrote: »
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

    House-Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

    That's not even funny. It's a real, serious disease.

    Oh simmer down.

    Druhim telling someone to simmer down

    Writing that down in my big book of little ironies

    signature-deffo.jpg
    PSN ID : DetectiveOlivaw | TWITTER | STEAM ID | NEVER FORGET
  • Options
    Crimson KingCrimson King Registered User regular
    would you rather own the Big Book of Little Ironies or the Little Book of Big Ironies

    though if you order now you can get them both for just $59.99

  • Options
    PharezonPharezon Struggle is an illusion. Victory is in the Qun.Registered User regular
    Olivaw wrote:
    Druhim wrote:
    Weaver wrote: »
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Weaver wrote:
    My ex developed a allergy to milk(not the same as lactose intolerant) because of lupus. Not even kidding.

    House-Its-not-lupus-Its-never-lupus.jpg

    That's not even funny. It's a real, serious disease.

    Oh simmer down.

    Druhim telling someone to simmer down

    Writing that down in my big book of little ironies

    You son of a bitch.

    jkZziGc.png
  • Options
    WeaverWeaver Who are you? What do you want?Registered User regular
    Somebody that I was married to is dealing with a horrible disease and while sure I'm not a part of that person's life anymore doesn't mean that "HAHA A TV SHOW MADE FUN OF LUPUS!" is cool.

  • Options
    CampionCampion Registered User regular
    Yeah that lupus thing's been milked for all its worth.

    4484-7718-8470
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    I will make the next SCIENCE thread, if no one else wants to.

    Xehalus on
  • Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Recently, railway companies have begun implementing measures to discourage and prevent train suicides. This includes use of blue LED lights in stations, which officials hope will calm potential jumpers.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rail_transport_in_Japan#Suicide

    http://suicidepreventioncommunity.wordpress.com/2009/11/11/blue-lights-suicide-prevention-or-marketing-ploy/

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kazGrkdLOgU

    Thought this was interesting.

    Xehalus on
  • Options
    ACSISACSIS Registered User regular
    edited February 2012
    Didgeridoo wrote:
    Well, think of it this way. Once upon a time, all the oil and shit that we're burning was in the environment, in the air, in plants and animals the walked the earth. At that time, Earth was WAY more humid and warm than it is now. Obviously life existed, but it was way different than it was now. Over time, the CO2 in the form of animals and plants got trapped underground, turned into fossil fuels, and taken out of the carbon cycle. As a result, the Earth got much cooler

    It's not actual heat being released into the atmosphere that causes climate change, it's the gases that trap heat. The sun is always bombarding us with heat energy-- more CO2 means that less of that heat energy escapes into space. Instead it's trapped here, and the planet gets warmer.

    Sorry if this seems a bit nonsensical, it is late and I am tired

    edit: also I dun been beat'd

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP2FCM-6rvw

    THAT is the problem.

    And here is another one:
    The first evidence that millions of tons of a greenhouse gas 20 times more potent than carbon dioxide is being released into the atmosphere from beneath the Arctic seabed has been discovered by scientists.

    The Independent has been passed details of preliminary findings suggesting that massive deposits of sub-sea methane are bubbling to the surface as the Arctic region becomes warmer and its ice retreats.

    ACSIS on
This discussion has been closed.