As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The Greatest Game that no one ever played

• Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Just had a long conversation about the Command and Conquers and this finally came up.

ren_box.jpg
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fMzCxJAEnG4

Ah-may-ziiiiiiing

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    DurrikenDurriken Registered User regular
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Durriken wrote:
    Otogi 1 and 2. Regular Xbox. Nuff said. If anyone even knew what I was talking about I'd be highly amazed.

Own them both, incredibly disappointed that they are not compatible on the 360.

So awesome! And I share your feelings. Out of all the games they made b/c, they forgot those two....

Pray for the Lost; Rejoice for the Saved; Cry for the Damned.
    There are creatures out there who want your soul, creatures that are willing to rip away your husk of a body in order to obtain it. They hunger in darkness and hunt in blood. Will you be lost...saved...or damned? Your choice.
  • Options
    DurrikenDurriken Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Durriken wrote:
    Otogi 1 and 2. Regular Xbox. Nuff said. If anyone even knew what I was talking about I'd be highly amazed.

And Panzer Dragoon Orta. Why does Microsoft hate SEGA so much? I mean other than them being SEGA.

I dunno man, drives me crazy.

Pray for the Lost; Rejoice for the Saved; Cry for the Damned.
    There are creatures out there who want your soul, creatures that are willing to rip away your husk of a body in order to obtain it. They hunger in darkness and hunt in blood. Will you be lost...saved...or damned? Your choice.
  • Options
    ChanceChance Registered User regular
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbBHSwl8rA

2009's Bionic Commando, easily.

Tepid reaction from critics basically relegated it to bargain bins, which is where I picked it up - but damn if this isn't one of the best platformers on the current gen, and a near-flawless modernization of the original. It's a fun-as-hell, skill-based platformer with some standard third-person shooting added for good measure. Mastering the bionic arm for traversal is absolutely thrilling, but when it's combined with combat it becomes absolutely spectacular.

In this game, you will swing for your life across pillar-islands in the middle of a forest, desperate to make some room between you and the gigantic power-armored monster powering its way after you. You'll slam into the ground, latch your bionic arm onto a nearby rock and heave it off the ground just in time to chuck it into the head of the Brute as it slaps into the grass next to you. As it recovers, you leap into the air, fire your bionic arm onto a nearby tree and swing off into space - turning around in mid-air to fire a grenade into its face.

It's fucking awesome.
    -amateur review-

And, for the record, so is Resonance of Fate.

'Chance, you are the best kind of whore.' -Henroid
  • Options
    MHYoshimitzuMHYoshimitzu Registered User regular
    Teraburst, a 1998 arcade shooter from Konami.

This game is so obscure, there are no YouTube videos of it that I can find.

However, it was the first arcade game to my memory that let you use a shoulder-mounted machine gun to destroy your enemies.

Sadly, it was buried by the success of Time Crisis and I know of no one else who knows this game but my brother and I.

sig.gif
  • Options
    DisruptorX2DisruptorX2 Registered User regular
    Bouncerbox.jpg

Thread isn't "games everyone played but forgot about" --

1208768734831.jpg
  • Options
    GyllilianGyllilian Registered User regular
    Bouncerbox.jpg

Agreed on that. The Bouncer is one the biggest wastes of potential in gaming history. Such a pretty game. Such poorly implemented gameplay.

• Options
    CroakerBCCroakerBC TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Blade Runner.
    For, well, everything. The graphics, the sound, the eight thousand endings based on player decisions, the Voigt-Kampff, the image enhancer, the plot...all in 1997.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=acBnLMRIAD0

Oh, and Starflight 2. For being one of the first properly 'Open World' games. In the 80's.

815357-141px_starflight2_large.jpg

ETA: It appears @Ultimanecat has already given a shout-out to Starflight; I preferred the sequel, which had a bit more raw humour coursing through it, along with the surprisingly bleak storyline.

CroakerBC on
  • Options
    KrathoonKrathoon Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    These threads always dredge up a few more things to collect. I see gog has starflight 1 + 2. They also have both of the "Crusader" games now. I'll have to see if I can get the "Prisoner of Ice" and "Shadow of the Comet" games for a decent price.

Krathoon on
  • Options
    PoultryGeistPoultryGeist The Ghostly Chicken Registered User regular
    Bouncerbox.jpg

Really?! I've never met anyone that played The Bouncer other than me and my two friends that used to play it together...

IcdplGM.png
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    a friend of mine loved the hell out of Blade Runner, talked about it all the time when we were younger.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    Chance wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VbBHSwl8rA

2009's Bionic Commando, easily.

Tepid reaction from critics basically relegated it to bargain bins, which is where I picked it up - but damn if this isn't one of the best platformers on the current gen, and a near-flawless modernization of the original. It's a fun-as-hell, skill-based platformer with some standard third-person shooting added for good measure. Mastering the bionic arm for traversal is absolutely thrilling, but when it's combined with combat it becomes absolutely spectacular.

In this game, you will swing for your life across pillar-islands in the middle of a forest, desperate to make some room between you and the gigantic power-armored monster powering its way after you. You'll slam into the ground, latch your bionic arm onto a nearby rock and heave it off the ground just in time to chuck it into the head of the Brute as it slaps into the grass next to you. As it recovers, you leap into the air, fire your bionic arm onto a nearby tree and swing off into space - turning around in mid-air to fire a grenade into its face.

It's fucking awesome.
    -amateur review-

I agree with every word here.
    Every word.

Possibly needs more awesome added.

(PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    1796284-box_tjae3_large.png

I love this game. I love this series. I cherish it very dearly. This game was an incredibly solid and fun platformer that also felt like a love-letter to the fans of the very first installment back in 1991. Even now, 20 years down the road, I boot up the original and have just as fun and challenging a time as I did two decades ago. I have fond memories of the third installment, memories of the brief time my brother owned an original Xbox before trading it away for a Gamecube, and then trading that away for a PS2.

It is a criminal shame that this game is not backwards compatible. I check every now and then to see if it was added but I'm disappointed every time. The aesthetic, the nostalgia, the sheer feeling of fun this game delivered felt like the original delivered into the world of 3D gaming. I wasn't disappointed at all.

Dunxco on
  • Options
    SerathisBelSerathisBel Registered User regular
    I always liked Captain Skyhawk for the NES. I never met anybody that played it though. It sure had some badass music.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xu_2nq-bjRg

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Unlimited Saga on the PS2. That game was a masterpiece but was weird as all hell with an unforgiving learning curve that no game to date has yet beaten.

• Options
    256px-Silicon_Valley_Artwork.jpg

I fucking LOVED that game.

• Options
    XaviarXaviar Registered User regular
    Phantom Dust.
    Imagine if MtG were a third person shooter with completely destructible terrain, and that said terrain was awesome ruined bridges and such.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OccEANEpiDI
    The person playing in this video is terrible, and has a terrible deck, but you can get the idea.

• Options
    XaquinXaquin Right behind you!Registered User regular
    Killing Time on 3DO

and Total Annihilation which did not deserve to be overshadowed by Starcraft

• Options
    Phantom Dust is a great game but I'm pretty sure everyone played the hell out of that thing.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Durriken wrote:
    Cantido wrote:
    DoctorArch wrote:
    Durriken wrote:

And Panzer Dragoon Orta. Why does Microsoft hate SEGA so much? I mean other than them being SEGA.

I dunno man, drives me crazy.

I played the demos for both, it's a shame they aren't BC.
    Magic Pink wrote:
    Phantom Dust is a great game but I'm pretty sure everyone played the hell out of that thing.

I know I did. Until I gave up and just watched the ending cinematics on Youtube.

And holy shit, did Renegade have some godawful box art.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Probably been mentioned once or twice, but Septerra Core.

• Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLY

Runnin' Shootin' Drivin' Zappin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpoRlaIwhxQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkChIGEI9c

It's basically an upgraded Double Dragon clone? HEAR THEM SOUNDS?! That shit was magic back in the day! I always pimp out this game when one of these threads roll around.

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Bouncerbox.jpg

Really?! I've never met anyone that played The Bouncer other than me and my two friends that used to play it together...

That's odd, every Playstation mag hyped the shit outta that stinkbomb. I know I bought into it and picked the game up blindly.

Yuck...

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    FUCK the Adventures of Bayou Billy. Game was harder than Battletoads.

For my money, the one game I loved, purchased, and then had no one to play with because they thought it was boring:

SuperConflictSNESBoxArt.jpg

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    If there was ever a SNES game that tried to capitalize on Desert Storm, that was it.

• Options
    DietarySupplementDietarySupplement Still not approved by the FDA Dublin, OHRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Synthesis wrote:
    If there was ever a SNES game that tried to capitalize on Desert Storm, that was it.

Nuh uh:

super-nintendo-super-battletank.jpg

DietarySupplement on
  • Options
    Kipling217Kipling217 Registered User regular
    I nominate Realms of the Haunting.

A 1997 adventure/FPS/FMV horror game. The last sentence is probably why it didn't sell well(The US version being published by Interplay didn't help). It was awsome, with limited ammunition, monsters that teleported into existence(always behind you) and a compelling story containing gnostic philosophy.

I also nominate the Two Cate Archer(No one lives forever) games with the second one A spy in Harms way as the best. Been trying to get it to work, but the sound craps out.

The sky was full of stars, every star an exploding ship. One of ours.
  • Options
    Zephiran wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:
    For me, that game has to be either Baten Kaitos on the GC or Mischief Makers on the N64.

Shake shake!

Baten Kaitos was holy shit amazing. The backgrounds were some of the most beautiful in any RPG.

A-Fucking-Greed.

The voicework was hilariously awful, though the joke there is that the worst offending voices are actually explained as a plot twist later on in the game. The music's great, and the card based combat never gets old, and halfway through the game the main character even becomes likeable.

bk07.jpg

Dat candy.

woah, that looks awesome!

which game is that? there were two of them according to my google-fu .... are they both worth picking up?

• Options
    AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Malkor wrote:
    THE ADVENTURES OF BAYOU BILLY

Runnin' Shootin' Drivin' Zappin'

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpoRlaIwhxQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYkChIGEI9c

It's basically an upgraded Double Dragon clone? HEAR THEM SOUNDS?! That shit was magic back in the day! I always pimp out this game when one of these threads roll around.

FUCK. YES.

Edit: Although that guy in the gameplay video is terrible.

AuburnTiger on
    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Options
    Gigazombie CybermageGigazombie Cybermage Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2011
    Darth_Mogs wrote:
    I'm not going to claim this is 'the greatest game', but it's a game from my childhood that I absolutely adored. I've yet to find anyone else who knows about the game, so I imagine it counts.

Robotrekboxart.jpg

Classic jRPG for the SNES that I clearly played at the right age, as the story isn't much more hard-hitting than an average pokemon game (unless I'm not remembering correctly), but it was really fun and inventive (ha!) because you were playing as a budding inventor who could build robots to do your battles for you. It's kind of like pokemon before pokemon in that you did absolutely none of the battling and instead threw your robot (who pops out of a capsule, somehow) onto the field to hack or shoot (depending on what you've equipped on it) whatever stood in your way to death. You had up to three robots and if one broke down, the next in your queue popped out unless there were no more, in which case your game was over.

Through the game, you end up having to put your inventing skills to the test by finding recipes for key items (as well as non-key items; scattered through the game were books that you could use to learn how to make new equips for your bots) that you'd end up having to use at least once for one puzzle or the like which was and still is pretty damn cool.

It was just a really fun, neat little RPG that I always think of when I think of SNES-era RPGs or just SNES games in general (basically I always think of Chrono Trigger, Link to the Past and this), which is why it bugs me that nobody else seems to have played it.

Played and beaten. Awesome game, but it sucked if you lost the manual which had the special attacks in it.
    Hardly anyone remembers, much less played the original Monster Rancher. The damn game sure did make you earn every victory.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wuzSfSi6398

Hell yeah! I don't know another game that lets you train a monster that disguises itself as Michael Jordan. My favorite monster was the Gali types. As awesome as that one was, the second one was it, and then some. The third one was... okay, but it starts to drop in quality after that. Never played the fifth one released. I'm desperate for a similar game to come out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9okMZOsXF0

One of the best games on the NES! A two-player RPG with actiony combat taken from Kung Fu Heroes. (Made by the same company) I love this game so much.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9O9LWp8Kmw

Flying Warriors, GO! Combines side-scrolling action, one on one duels, RPG lite, and awesome music. Can't tell you how awesome this game was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PMPRWGmmQ7o

Fuckawesome Ninja Gaiden clone. Watch out for the final boss, that fucker is nasty. YOU KILL PEOPLE WITH YOUR FLOWING MANE.

Gigazombie Cybermage on
  • Options
    Chris FOMChris FOM Registered User regular
    Does Killer7 fall under the "no one played" heading still? I know it tanked when it came out, but it seems like it's built of a cult following in the years since. It's a favorite of mine. It's an easy game to critique, and the mixed (at best) reviews have dissected its many flaws as a game, but as an experience that could only be achieved within the gaming medium it still holds up incredibly well even today. The offbeat (but workable) controls, acid trip of a story, warped but hilarious sense of humor, and flawless atmosphere easily made ti the most memorable game of last generation for me.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote:

Nuh uh:

super-nintendo-super-battletank.jpg

I had that one!

It was dumb... :(

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    RainbowDespairRainbowDespair Registered User regular
    Does Paladin's Quest (aka Lennus in Japan) count? It's a SNES RPG from Enix. I get the impression that only about hundred people played it and I'm the only one who loved it. Had really weird music & graphics (pastel colors galore!) but the gameplay was really good with stuff like a magic system where spell types got more powerful with use and dozens of playable mercenaries you could recruit to your team.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hB59gej0rZ4

• Options
    AnzekayAnzekay Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    symbolsor wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    I can't remember the name of the game, but it was an old PC shooter (third person I think) where you controlled infantry, tank or a helicopter. It had some epic orchestral song as it's intro music.

Codename Eagle maybe? That game was awesome, I sat at my computer for hours playing the demo over and over.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtUrwcRF0PA

This was the best fucking game ever. When I was only just in high school my brother used to have all his friends over for LANs every holidays and they'd spend over half the time playing this.

Turns out they didn't like a kid several years younger than them beating them all the time though- because damn I was good in those biplanes.

Every now and then Dad and I fire it up and have some dogfighting on the map with the two carriers.

EDIT: One of my alltime favorite old games was Wing Commander Privateer though. I don't even want to try and count up how many hours I lost to that game as a kid.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVLCc11EAqU

Anzekay on
  • Options
    Joe Camacho MKIIJoe Camacho MKII Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Xaquin wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:
    Klyka wrote:
    Zephiran wrote:
    For me, that game has to be either Baten Kaitos on the GC or Mischief Makers on the N64.

Shake shake!

Baten Kaitos was holy shit amazing. The backgrounds were some of the most beautiful in any RPG.

A-Fucking-Greed.

The voicework was hilariously awful, though the joke there is that the worst offending voices are actually explained as a plot twist later on in the game. The music's great, and the card based combat never gets old, and halfway through the game the main character even becomes likeable.

First Baten Kaitos Picture

Dat candy.

woah, that looks awesome!

which game is that? there were two of them according to my google-fu .... are they both worth picking up?

That's from the first game, Baten kaitos: Eternal Wings and the Lost Ocean; the other game is Baten Kaitos Origins.

Baten Kaitos Origins is actually a prequel, and it has a totally different battle system.

I would recommend both games, but play them in order so you can appreciate the references to the first game; played and loved them both.

Edit.- Also the music is awesome.

Joe Camacho MKII on
    steam_sig.png I edit my posts a lot.
  • Options
    I will find these games!

• Options
    Does Paladin's Quest (aka Lennus in Japan) count? It's a SNES RPG from Enix. I get the impression that only about hundred people played it and I'm the only one who loved it. Had really weird music & graphics (pastel colors galore!) but the gameplay was really good with stuff like a magic system where spell types got more powerful with use and dozens of playable mercenaries you could recruit to your team.

I played that game to death. I never finished it but I still must have spent 70+ hours on it.

• Options
    VothVoth Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote:

I played that game to death. I never finished it but I still must have spent 70+ hours on it.

I loved the game as well. A sequel was made very late into the SF's life that was even better and rivaled FF6. It was never localized for NA but it's completely worth tracking down and playing.

reverbnation -- last.fm -- facebook -- twitter -- bandcamp --youtube -- PSN: audapostrophe -- XBL: audapostrophe -- NNID: audapostrophe -- Myspace
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    Solar Winds, by Epic. Yes that Epic.

It was a two part top down space action game, a little similar in gameplay to the Escape Velocity series, but with a greater emphasis on storyline and less on freedom and trading. It felt and had the style a lot like a paperback sci fi novel or an episode of original series star trek. It was awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HypxJ1_uwMQ

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    MrDelish wrote:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr2_gH5ixQg

This is mine. And unless Activision decides it merits a sequel or another company produces a decent RTS-Action sci-fi game I will wallow in sorrow, crying myself to sleep next to my copy of Red Odyssey.

It's still getting patched by one of the original developers, too! http://battlezone1.net/patch/bzone_changelog.txt

Activision DID start one, but.....
    Yeah, I was interviewed on G4, Morgan Webb​ called it out as an RTS game and everything. It was late, but we definitely got it out there. When we pitched the game a lot of publishers were fearful of the letters "RTS" and when we were with Vivendi the marketing plans were never going to say RTS ever. At first we weren't sure how we felt about that, but as our game developed and we started changing it, simplifying it and removing RTS elements we started to feel okay about that because we realized that if players come to the game with the expectation of it being an RTS and look for RTS controls, it would actually make the game less fun. So from a creative position we were totally fine with not releasing that info first. In the very first pitches for the game, publishers didn't want to talk about heavy metal or roadies at all, they thought it should be about something more popular. Like country.

When we showed the game to EA, they were interested but wanted to test the concept. In focus tests, the stage battles rated high. What's interesting is the people in those groups aren't told anything about the game and have no expectations for it. One of the things you notice looking at Metacritic ratings is that the highest scores come from those who really enjoyed the stage battles, and when you get down to the critics who didn't like the stage battles those reviews often center around their expectations about what we were going to make, instead of looking at the stage battles for what they are in a fresh way.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YxHzOy3UkE

Brutal Legend should have resurrected the genre, instead it almost shut down Tim Schafer. Activision, and later EA, intentionally promoting the game as a single player generic hack n slash mess might have had something to do with it. There are some fantastic derivatives out there though, such as Trenched and Monday Night Combat.

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767