As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

A [chat]lie Brown Thanksgiving

• NerdgasmicNerdgasmic __BANNED USERS regular
    edited November 2011
    no, I mean stuff like the saints' days or whatever they're called

Nerdgasmic on
  • emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Mims is hawt.

I am so full. Went over to my cousin's house for Thanksgiving and gorged on turkey, stuffing, sweet potato casserole, green bean casserole, stuffing, blueberry muffins, spinach, sweet tea and more stuffing. Capped it all off with freshly backed pecan pie.

emnmnme on
  • simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    tis it saint swithen's day already

• Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    There's a certain sector of the British public who'd like to see St. George's Day celebrated in more grand a manner - some towns do St. George's Day parades, but that's about it. Usually these people are the British equivalent of crazed Tea Party Republicans. They're usually either Conservatives or BNP members.

I don't believe we celebrate any other Saints' days other than St. Patrick's Day and Valentine's Day. I don't even think most calendar companies bother marking them anymore. Certainly my 2008 Red Dwarf calendar didn't list any.

Jump Leads - a scifi-comedy audiodrama podcast
  • Squirminator2kSquirminator2k they/them North Hollywood, CARegistered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:

"Tis!" replied Aunt Hellllllga!

simonwolf wrote:

"Tis!" replied Aunt Hellllllga!

yes, exactly

• ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    I have pumpkin pie.

• simonwolfsimonwolf i can feel a difference today, a differenceRegistered User regular
    My PS3 has died

the saddest day

THose last two posts rhyme.

they do?

simonwolf wrote:
    My PS3 has died

the saddest day

But the seven cores ... the seven mighty cores ...

It appears to be doing the yellow light of death thing, without the yellow light

and since it seems to cost a flat $300 for out of warranty PS3 repair down here in Terror Australis

looks like it is time for me to buy a new one in the Christmas sales

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    I always get the feeling that American Thanksgiving is way too close to Christmas... I mean, wouldn't it make more sense if it were in October rather than November, like in Canada?

i dunno, the holiday spread is kinda iffy. :P

it's the holiday season, 21st

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    doot doot doot

what should I eat at 1am

aRkpc.gif
    It is still November, nobody should have Christmas decorations yet

• 21stCentury21stCentury Call me Pixel, or Pix for short! [They/Them]Registered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    it's the holiday season, 21st

Good point...

• SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    Sinterklaas has not left the country yet, so no xmas decorations yet!

Follow The Dutch Holiday Etiquette Guidelines people. It's not that hard.

Steam: SanderJK Origin: SanderJK
    Doesn't Sinterklaas have a black caricature assistant who straight up murder-kidnaps

SanderJK wrote:

Sinterklaas? Isn't he the one with the, erm... ethnic helpers?

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    eat 3 apples and a walrus

wait do you live in the uk ronya

obF2Wuw.png
  • SanderJKSanderJK Crocodylus Pontifex Sinterklasicus Madrid, 3000 ADRegistered User regular
    SanderJK wrote:

He is the origin of the whole Santa thing! But yes.

sinterklaas-en-zwarte-piet-580x385.jpg

edited November 2011
    SanderJK wrote:
    SanderJK wrote:

He is the origin of the whole Santa thing! But yes.

sinterklaas-en-zwarte-piet-580x385.jpg

Man, Europe doesn't have that taboo about Blackface at all, does it?

21stCentury on
    Wait, are those people in blackface

Spike Lee will have a field day with this

• ronyaronya Arrrrrf. the ivory tower's basementRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    It's too bad that science! diverged from natural philosophy so early. You know how philosophers of the mind have all these old schools of thought that conflict badly with x-phi and neurophilosophy? I'm observing this too among political philosophers prior to the period of Rawls and Sen when game theory suddenly got really popular. And that interaction has lasted regretfully briefly and more recent results in economics tend to be ignored as well (so much goddamn navel gazing over the prisoner's dilemma).

It isn't an issue of philosophers taking a take that the predominant methodology of economics cannot handle (this does happen); it's an issue of political philosophers implicitly assuming some theory of economics that is wrong.

ronya on
    aRkpc.gif
  • ZombiemamboZombiemambo Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:

there aren't any black people in Holland

JKKaAGp.png
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    hullo

Oh yes they are people in blackface. There are minor political issues about it. We were a big slave transporting nation after all. This is late 19th century dutch tradition though. I'm not entirely certain how exactly the current image came to be, it's a hilarious chain of events that somehow turned a Christian Saint from Turkey into a Spanish Dude who likes to give gifts on his birthday, assisted by a horde of black helpers (who behave much like christmas elves in most regards, and they will kidnap you and take you to Spain if you have been really bad, though that part of the story (which was prevalent in my youth still) is now de-emphasized).

simonwolf wrote:

there aren't any black people in Holland

There are, but not a great many, maybe 2-4% of the population, almost all in Amsterdam/Rotterdam. Most of them are from Suriname or the Dutch Antilles. There hasn't been much 'institutionalized' racism over here though, at least since we abolished slavery.

• AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    simonwolf wrote:
    Doesn't Sinterklaas have a black caricature assistant who straight up murder-kidnaps

well, just servant. "Black" was kind of assumed at the time.

ftOqU21.png
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    herro

• OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    blackface is not ever a good idea ever ever ever

blackface is not ever a good idea ever ever ever

mac disagrees

momma little baby love shortnin' bread

From reading up on it, they only turned black consequently around 1890. Before that it was 'generic devilish.' After that they acquired a a convoluted backstory involving chimneysweep equipment (the soot turned them black!), acrobatic skills (to deal with iced over roofs in winter!), various helper tasks, ever more eloberate clothing.

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Mim wrote:
    Also, thank you for calling me a cutie.

Patootie

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
    simonwolf wrote:
    momma little baby love shortnin' bread

You're a good man, Charlie Brown.

• DurkhanusDurkhanus Commander Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    simonwolf wrote:
    It appears to be doing the yellow light of death thing, without the yellow light

and since it seems to cost a flat $300 for out of warranty PS3 repair down here in Terror Australis

looks like it is time for me to buy a new one in the Christmas sales

Yeah, it's a good time to do it.

Myself, I think I'd pay to get my old PS3 fat fixed. I'm not a fan of the style of the slims. When I retire my PS3 onto the shelf next to its predecessors, I'd like it to still work should I ever plug it in, just like its predecessors.

Durkhanus on
    i'm so full x_x

• KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    Dear god if you are bad they kidnap yOu and take you to Spain? How evil!

My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
This discussion has been closed.