As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 3: Karkand is out and awesome. Join us in Mumble- Details in OP

11112141617100

Posts

  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    God, I hope they don't "fix" the infinite mines thing. This fucking game doesn't have much else that actually feels fun.

    If they do, I hope they at least ungay the stinger or jav a bit.

    There are classes that are not Engineer.

    u4OkoEI.png
  • WrenWren Registered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    God, I hope they don't "fix" the infinite mines thing. This fucking game doesn't have much else that actually feels fun.

    If they do, I hope they at least ungay the stinger or jav a bit.

    There are classes that are not Engineer.

    liar

    engineertoeternity.png

    tf2sig.jpg
    TF2 - Wren BF3: Wren-fu
  • TheExAmTheExAm Gerrymandered your districts Registered User regular
    Evidently, the Caspian Tower can now fall.


    Better footage


    This is in the PS3 patch. It falls when one side reaches ten tickets.

    6Jx6HOg.png
    Battlemans: DiscoCabbage | Elite: Dangerous: Aleksandr Khabaj
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    God, I hope they don't "fix" the infinite mines thing. This fucking game doesn't have much else that actually feels fun.

    If they do, I hope they at least ungay the stinger or jav a bit.

    There are classes that are not Engineer.

    You must have missed the "fun" part.

  • AF-IXAF-IX Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I always felt the Javelin sucked monkey balls & was too gay silly as-is:

    - takes way too damn long to lock-on
    - blocks your entire field of view/peripheral vision
    - even when locked to a SOFLAM, hit not always guaranteed
    - damage on it seems too low

    I'm getting online (360) now, time to shoot mans.

    AF-IX on
  • ArchsorcererArchsorcerer Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I'm not the PC police but don't use "gay" as a derogatory term. Stay out troubles people.

    Archsorcerer on
    XBL - ArchSilversmith

    "We have years of struggle ahead, mostly within ourselves." - Made in USA
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    Yeah, I'm not a javelin expert by any means, but I don't think it has a sexual preference.

    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    Every time I bitch about aircraft someone usually says "it's always jets-on-jets so who fucking cares, just plant the bomb or cap your points and let them be."

    As pointed out, there are a few maps (maybe they really are just corner cases) where aircraft can really fuck up your team's armor push. Which means you're out-gunned in terms of tanks. Which means good luck planting bombs/capping points.

    And what's my recourse? Kharg Island has me facing 3 tanks at once with no backup? Ok, I'll roll engineer. Good thing the only option I have is basically a dumbfire SMAW/RPG. Mines are fun if nobody's smart/high enough level to use thermals in a tank. Loljavelin. Lolsoflam. The SMAW/RPG option only really works if I have a few other dedicated engis, since you can rep a tank for more DPS than a couple bros with launchers can shell out.

    I'm not saying Engis need a buff, god knows they're fun enough as it is and there's usually a lot of people playing them. But given how few anti-vehicle options there are in the game, something needs to be done. You guys always say "if all 4 classes could destroy vehicles there'd be no point to them" and that's a dumb thing to say. There's a middle ground here -- some classes can be better/worse, and still have options. Give engis an RPG, give assault guys an anti-vehicle round for their tube, and make SOFLAM's not awful. That way I won't feel obliged to play Engineer all the fucking time.

  • SatsumomoSatsumomo Rated PG! Registered User regular
    Simply, recons should have C4.

  • DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    Here's the what the IRNV really looks like post-patch (via Reddit):

  • rRootagearRootagea MadisonRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    I've won a phone call to Singapore?!
    6433716843_9ff93e80d5.jpg

    rRootagea on
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    Hacksaw wrote:
    So are they ever going to let us skip the kill cam, or are we just going to have to put up with it forever? Because let me tell you, I fucking hate the kill cam. I want whoever put it in this game to fucking die of cancer.

    While they are at it they should cancel the auto-deploy if the guy you are spawning on dies.

    I agree. BC2 would let you select a new spawn point if you lost the one you were going for. Getting dropped into main spawn on Caspian with no vehicles because your squaddie died is BS.

    XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    Cobalt60 wrote:
    You'd be giving up your med bag, not your paddles.

    Wat. Thats almost worse.

  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    The only gay javelin I'm aware of was in Revenge of the Nerds.

    EH28YFo.jpg
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    I'm not the PC police but don't use "gay" as a derogatory term. Stay out troubles people.

    But that is being the PC police.

    Gay people should be able to get married and have/adopt/raise children and all that.

    And I should be able to call stuff "gay" if I want. Kthx.

  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ugh. Edit fail.

    Tzen on
  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Can we get a "delete" option, please?

    Tzen on
  • SyrdonSyrdon Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Satsumomo wrote:
    Simply, recons should have C4.
    I actually want them to give the recon something to replace the spawn point that lets them get some direct use out of the soflam. I can't come up with anything that I like though (ie: 1 - 2 shot guided bomb just seems like it would be a bad idea). As it stands now, the only reason to take it is to give you a way to spot from cover (admittedly, its good at that, but I don't know that its really better than the mav).

    Syrdon on
  • EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    Tzen wrote:
    And I should be able to call stuff "gay" if I want. Kthx.

    Nope.

  • JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    rRootagea wrote:
    I've won a phone call to Singapore?!
    6433716843_9ff93e80d5.jpg

    WTF call that number.

    I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
  • useless4useless4 Registered User regular
    (ps3) The IRNV has been nerfed to useless on almost all maps for quick scoping. Give it about five seconds and you can make stuff out finally but it's nowhere near as useful as it was.

    In the subway however it's totally useless because of the amount of smoke.

    Also I don't know if it was this way before or not , but if you're mortar'ing and can't see a tank someone can attach c4 to it and even if they die you now see the c4 on the tank no matter where it goes. I don't think at least on the p3 version it was this way before.

  • Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Hehe tonight.

    "Omg you're such a noob us in IRNV. Get skill [insert derogatory comment here]

    Switch to ACOG on my IAR and continue killing this guy.

    avatar_6feb8634e3d0_128.png

    He was not a happy camper

    Edit : ^ LOL I PUNNED

    Waffles or whatever on
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    Tzen wrote:
    God, I hope they don't "fix" the infinite mines thing. This fucking game doesn't have much else that actually feels fun.

    If they do, I hope they at least ungay the stinger or jav a bit.

    There are classes that are not Engineer.

    Are you sure? I'm pretty sure you're wrong.

  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote:
    Here's the what the IRNV really looks like post-patch (via Reddit):


    Looooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooool. The tears of all the scrubs are going to be delicious.

    wWuzwvJ.png
  • CarbonFireCarbonFire See you in the countryRegistered User regular
    useless4 wrote:
    (ps3) The IRNV has been nerfed to useless on almost all maps for quick scoping. Give it about five seconds and you can make stuff out finally but it's nowhere near as useful as it was.

    In the subway however it's totally useless because of the amount of smoke.

    Best thing I've heard all day.


    ....And the whiners are already coming out of the woodwork.



    And it's not even that bad of a nerf :lol:

    Steam: CarbonFire MWO, PSN, Origin: Carb0nFire
  • BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    I didn't even really notice that much of a difference after watching that video. I got my second service star for the engie today. I think the most I've spent on any other class since I've owned this game is maybe an hour. An engie is just so much more useful than any other class. I'm only thankful people run around as other classes so when they die I can pick up their shit, resupply and heal up, and then be on my merry way with my carbine and my rocket launcher of doom.

  • TzenTzen Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Does anyone here actually have any actual experience with/knowledge of IRNV scopes? I haven't used it at all since beta, where I initially found it to be really useful on Metro rush because of the shrubs. But eventually stopped using it because it's just kind of painful to stare at all the time. Could a scope like that really be used in real life to spot guys hiding in shrubbery in broad daylight?

    Echo wrote:
    Tzen wrote:
    And I should be able to call stuff "gay" if I want. Kthx.

    Nope.

    Noted. But anyway, I now see that I misunderstood Archsorcerer, and to him I apologize.

    Tzen on
  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    I prefer the IFNV scope 1 because it makes everything into a matter of value. Its either white, gray, or black. Helps me concentrate on movement rather than lighting effects or color or anything like that.

    Also 2, I like the range. It isn't too far zoomed in that I am fucked in close quarters but it isn't necessarily iron sights. I give up the ability to pick off snipers with my weapons but that's fair.

    I also like that it blacks out my periphery. That may or may not be a good thing. Its kind of a preference thing, but it helps.

    The glow was bullshit though, it was simply too and too easy. Besides, spotting is supposed to be relied on telling where people are, not weather or not you have the scope and weather or not they have the spec ops black camo.

    My 2 cents.

  • Angry WeaselAngry Weasel Registered User regular
    IRNV is one step closer to being just removed!

    I think I might enjoy playing again.

    To bad the people of skyrim need me, see you guys for KIRKLAND.

  • Lucky CynicLucky Cynic Registered User regular
    KIRKLAND.
    Karkand

    It is not the Land of Kirk. It is the And of Kark.

  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    KIRKLAND.
    Karkand

    It is not the Land of Kirk. It is the And of Kark.

    I dunno, it does let you get bullets in bulk.

  • kildykildy Registered User regular
    That IRNV nerf seems.. mild. I don't get the complaining.

  • TaranisTaranis Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    CarbonFire wrote:
    useless4 wrote:
    (ps3) The IRNV has been nerfed to useless on almost all maps for quick scoping. Give it about five seconds and you can make stuff out finally but it's nowhere near as useful as it was.

    In the subway however it's totally useless because of the amount of smoke.

    Best thing I've heard all day.


    ....And the whiners are already coming out of the woodwork.

    htp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pIsUWCDUBOM

    And it's not even that bad of a nerf :lol:

    Everything about this video is terrible.



    I'm going, going, back, back to Kirkland, Kirkland

    Taranis on
    EH28YFo.jpg
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    New IRNV sounds slightly better. I dunno, I'll have to see it on all the maps to decide how I feel about it.

    I don't want it to be useless sometimes/cheating sometimes. Why can't DICE occasionally do something that's just mediocre all the time?

  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    (Edit: Apparently only if you're 32bit / 4gb or less!)

    Just a heads up that I was having bizzare CTD issues for a while and it seems to have been resolved by:



    Windows 7/Windows Vista
    * In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly:

    bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

    Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Changes take effect on reboot.
    Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

    If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

    TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.



    Figured I'd pass it along if anyone was still having issues; I tried so much driver tweaking and other BS I feel obliged given the simplicity :).

    Ant000 on
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    .

    Ant000 on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    Ant000 wrote:
    Just a heads up that I was having bizzare CTD issues for a while and it seems to have been resolved by:



    Windows 7/Windows Vista
    * In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly:

    bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

    Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Changes take effect on reboot.
    Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

    If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

    TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.



    Figured I'd pass it along if anyone was still having issues; I tried so much driver tweaking and other BS I feel obliged given the simplicity :).

    Hold up there a hot minute. You really do not want to be fucking with that command. For lack of a better explanation, I present one shamelessly copy/pasted from somewhere else.
    Windows partitions the available 4GB of address space on a 32 bit system in half, so that the kernel get 2GB and the program gets 2GB (its virtualized so each program gets 2GB). The "bcedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072" command changes the partitioning so that each program gets 3GB and kernel space only gets 1GB. Mostly this works fine, but as you noticed you can run into trouble. It is usually some driver that runs in kernel space that has been hard coded to assume it has 2GB of address space available that causes the problems when it attempt to use the 2GB of address space without bothering to check whether it can.

    In a nut shell, this fix would only be needed in a 32bit OS and/or a system running 4gb of ram or less. Even if you DO decide to implement this, it would limit the OS's access to RAM. The system can automatically manage this allocation on it's own, and is very effective at it.

    steam_sig.png
  • AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    CarbonFire wrote:
    useless4 wrote:
    (ps3) The IRNV has been nerfed to useless on almost all maps for quick scoping. Give it about five seconds and you can make stuff out finally but it's nowhere near as useful as it was.

    In the subway however it's totally useless because of the amount of smoke.

    Best thing I've heard all day.


    ....And the whiners are already coming out of the woodwork.



    And it's not even that bad of a nerf :lol:

    "I think they tried to do a Call of Doody style, with pleasing the noobs."

    XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • Ant000Ant000 Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    That_Guy wrote:
    Ant000 wrote:
    Just a heads up that I was having bizzare CTD issues for a while and it seems to have been resolved by:
    Windows 7/Windows Vista
    * In Windows 7/Vista go to Start menu. Go to Accessories. Locate the command prompt shortcut and hover mouse over it. Right Click on the shortcut then select Run as Administrator.
    * In the command prompt type this exactly:

    bcdedit /set increaseuserva 2500

    Then hit enter.
    * Make sure you get a message back confirming the change was made. To verify the entry is there you can type just bcdedit, hit enter, and you should see the entry now listed.
    * Then close the command prompt. You just told Vista to increase user virtual address (userva) space to 2500MB.
    * Changes take effect on reboot.
    Now reboot the PC because Windows needs to set the userva at 2500 which only happens after startup.

    If you skip any step it will not work. When you have rebooted you should be good to go. Run the game as normal with the original game shortcut.

    TO UNDO THE CHANGES
    Open command prompt as administrator and type: bcdedit /deletevalue increaseuserva. That deletes the entry.
    Reboot and you are back to normal.



    Figured I'd pass it along if anyone was still having issues; I tried so much driver tweaking and other BS I feel obliged given the simplicity :).

    Hold up there a hot minute. You really do not want to be fucking with that command. For lack of a better explanation, I present one shamelessly copy/pasted from somewhere else.
    Windows partitions the available 4GB of address space on a 32 bit system in half, so that the kernel get 2GB and the program gets 2GB (its virtualized so each program gets 2GB). The "bcedit /set IncreaseUserVA 3072" command changes the partitioning so that each program gets 3GB and kernel space only gets 1GB. Mostly this works fine, but as you noticed you can run into trouble. It is usually some driver that runs in kernel space that has been hard coded to assume it has 2GB of address space available that causes the problems when it attempt to use the 2GB of address space without bothering to check whether it can.

    In a nut shell, this fix would only be needed in a 32bit OS and/or a system running 4gb of ram or less. Even if you DO decide to implement this, it would limit the OS's access to RAM. The system can automatically manage this allocation on it's own, and is very effective at it.


    Whoops yeah the post I got it from said only 32bit Windows 7/Vista -- I shoulda specified! And I guess 32bit Windows can only use up to 4gb right? So 32bit 4gb people with CTD's heads up! It worked for me and apparently some others when it was previously unplayable so something funny must be going on with BF3 and RAM in some cases.

    Thanks for the heads up; I'll be sure to switch it back and forth as needed.... ugh that'll be annoying.

    Ant000 on
  • mr_michmr_mich Registered User regular
    so oinm drunk and trying to pubstmop with the PA bvrahs. its not working well.

    i shuould get vent.

Sign In or Register to comment.