As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Battlefield 3: Karkand is out and awesome. Join us in Mumble- Details in OP

• AuburnTigerAuburnTiger Registered User regular
    So tell me: are PA servers going to start imposing bans on certain weapons? If it's a general consensus, then that's fine. But see, I've got the suspicion that I only got called out on it tonight because it was an admin I shot with it.

I had, up until that point, killed a grand total of 4 people with it. Four. So was the request that I "cool it" for the fun of the server, or just because an admin had his panties in a bunch?

Because the PA matches are the polar opposite of light-hearted and "fair" matches. I've been in PA-only matches on the dome with a grand total of 8 people, where PA members camped at spawn with AA missles and shot me down while I tried to learn how to fly. I've been in countless matches where people would ask over chat to have the teams scrambled, or asked politely if someone wouldn't mind switching. But accusations of team stacking are met with hostility here on the forums and accusations of "whining."

But there was no whining going on tonight; no, my 4 kills with the USAS were a threat to the fun and competitive atmosphere of the current game. Meanwhile, at least one of those 4 people I killed were camped with spec ops camo, foregrip and IRNV in the bushes outside of A. But I suppose the community has spoken and deemed those things fair and competitive.

XBL: Flex MythoMass
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular
    So tell me: are PA servers going to start imposing bans on certain weapons? If it's a general consensus, then that's fine. But see, I've got the suspicion that I only got called out on it tonight because it was an admin I shot with it.

I had, up until that point, killed a grand total of 4 people with it. Four. So was the request that I "cool it" for the fun of the server, or just because an admin had his panties in a bunch?

Because the PA matches are the polar opposite of light-hearted and "fair" matches. I've been in PA-only matches on the dome with a grand total of 8 people, where PA members camped at spawn with AA missles and shot me down while I tried to learn how to fly. I've been in countless matches where people would ask over chat to have the teams scrambled, or asked politely if someone wouldn't mind switching. But accusations of team stacking are met with hostility here on the forums and accusations of "whining."

But there was no whining going on tonight; no, my 4 kills with the USAS were a threat to the fun and competitive atmosphere of the current game. Meanwhile, at least one of those 4 people I killed were camped with spec ops camo, foregrip and IRNV in the bushes outside of A. But I suppose the community has spoken and deemed those things fair and competitive.

Calm down. People were bitching about it because you had been using it for several maps, hence calling you out on it.

steam_sig.png
  • 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    The DERPSAS is just frowned upon. Doesn't matter if you kill an admin with it or not.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
    Look man, here's my biggest issue with what happened. If anyone one single person on that server had asked me to please stop using that gun, I would have. I would have thought it was strange that they seemed bothered by it, seeming as I had barely used it, but I would have stopped. I have no desire to ruin anyone's fun, and if my play was causing someone to get angry, I would have stopped. It's as simple as that.

But what pissed me off was that you switched to the Admin voice to tell me. As if I had broken some rule, as if my play was contrary to the spirit of the community. Because I've seen just how lopsided these matches could be, and how uninviting they can be for newcomers. That really struck a nerve. Of all the instances where an admin could have stepped in to make things more balanced, I got called out for getting 4 kills with a gun that some consider to be OP. All you would have had to do was ask.

And please, tell me who was bitching about me using that gun on several maps. That was only the second map I'd used it on; and considering how on the previous map, my best weapon was the 870 with a whopping 8 kills, the MOST kills I could have gotten with the USAS was 7. In a whole conquest round. Yeah, I was really using the hell out of that thing, ruining everyone's fun.

• 0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    We did ask!

Multiple times.

u4OkoEI.png
    Did you ask in the chat window? Because I was not in Vent, I left my mic at a friend's house.

If you had been in vent, you would have heard it. God, all I did was ask you to cool it once. It's not like I was going to ban or even kick you for it. DON'T PANIC

steam_sig.png
  • NailbunnyPDNailbunnyPD Registered User regular
    Did you ask in the chat window? Because I was not in Vent, I left my mic at a friend's house.

No one uses in-game chat over Vent. And from my experience, no one reads in-game chat. You can be in Vent without a mic.

XBL: NailbunnyPD PSN: NailbunnyPD Origin: NailbunnyPD
    NintendoID: Nailbunny 3DS: 3909-8796-4685
    steam_sig-400.png
    "Coolit with the derpsas" was the admin message anyways. Not like it was "HEY ASSFUCKER IF YOU USE THAT AGAIN GETUSUM BAN."

u4OkoEI.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    It was just some missed communication brosefski, we hadn't realized you weren't in vent. In general the Derpsas, no matter how good or bad someone is doing with it, just gets groans from everyone.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • wakkawawakkawa Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    I think I unlocked the target camp in the tank cus fuuuuuuuuuu

One match where 3 different people tried to crash their plane into me.

wakkawa on
    It was the principle of it that bothered me. But I probably overreacted. It's hard to tell intent and tone from a line of text.

The DERPSAS is the Carl Gustav of BF3, is all.

u4OkoEI.png
  • AF-IXAF-IX Registered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Ass raped by Mink, Honch, & some dude named Applesauce on 360 tonight.
    Just read through these last pages and now I feel like a dick for using the USAS. In all fairness...I resorted to it when it was the 9 on 4 match against us & getting PA raped.

Kept using it all night...our team DID suck balls though. Me & Gradient holding it down while everyone else had heads up their asses. No more USAS against fellow PA mans from now on for me.

Fuuuuck. Good games though fellas.

AF-IX on
    It was the principle of it that bothered me. But I probably overreacted. It's hard to tell intent and tone from a line of text.

Exactly. I have no idea why you were getting so bent out of shape. You are still more than welcome among us, but try to play cool.

steam_sig.png
  • emp123emp123 Registered User regular
    AF-IX wrote:
    Damn I really need to build a badass PC and play this there.

You can see the time on that engineer's watch and all for fucksake.

If it makes you feel better, it shows you the wrong time.

Eh, you not being on Vent makes your frustration easier to understand aspeople on Vent had brought up the use of the Derpsas multiple times.

Oh, the Chamber is currently set to 8 man Conquest Large. Someone might want to change that. Or keep it because that seems sort of hilarious.

• SensationalSensational Registered User regular
    LOL some serious mama drama in here.

Personally when I get on PA I whip out my sas and mortar and chuckle whenever I hear someone groan on vent :rotate:

• BradicusMaximusBradicusMaximus Pssssssssyyyyyyyy duckRegistered User regular
    After a long hiatus due to Skyrim, I'm back! Not that anyone cares, but I've just been playing the shit out of Skyrim and pretty much neglecting this game but NO MORE. Played my first game in a couple of weeks and got my carbine mastery medal :D

• kildykildy Registered User regular
    derpsas is just annoying, not really game wrecking unless there's a mess of them running around. It's a combination of the USAS being pretty good anyways, and FRAG being silly. They seem to have been balanced in different rooms and nobody ever thought they'd be combined. A 1014 with FRAG only gets me the occasional eyeroll on pub servers.

What I find funny is when the lone derpsas user starts bitching about RPGs, MAVs and such on pub servers. MAVs have been getting a bit out of hand as people get good with them though. I like them as spotting gods. I don't so much like them as tunnel clearing ramming machines of death.

After a long hiatus due to Skyrim, I'm back! Not that anyone cares, but I've just been playing the shit out of Skyrim and pretty much neglecting this game but NO MORE. Played my first game in a couple of weeks and got my carbine mastery medal :D

Its so satisfying to come back after a hiatus and get a fatty medal.

• Wicked Uncle ErnieWicked Uncle Ernie Registered User regular
    phishstik wrote:
    Tank with Proximity Scan and Thermal Optics is the new IRNV.

Although after driving a tank with thermal optics on for more than 5 minutes, eyeballs may begin to bleed.

Make that the MAA with thermal will earn you a place in Hell.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    wakkawa wrote:
    I think I unlocked the target camp in the tank cus fuuuuuuuuuu

One match where 3 different people tried to crash their plane into me.

Oh man you were a tank camping mofo. Off in the corner, tank sniping like a boss.

I'm not complaining, though, I was up in the turret shooting mans, racking up points, unlockin' tank loot.

Also, to at least tangentially address the drama, it's almost always safe to assume that if somebody doesn't reply directly to what you type in text chat, they didn't see it. Nobody uses that crap. Especially because it fades out after like six seconds, so it's always "oh hey somebody said some...never mind, back to shootin' mans."

Good times in the Dome tonight, gents.

• JWashkeJWashke Registered User regular
    So I finally picked this up over the weekend after having a blast in the beta. I went to apply for 101st Arcadians, but its not accepting new members. Everytime I'm playing the PA servers seem the be empty too. Is there an easy way to play with you guys?

steam_sig.png
  • SkexisSkexis Registered User regular
    Aiserou wrote:
    HAHAHAHA, that trailer ends with someone using a stinger to shoot down an aircraft.

That's rich.

Also I'm really looking forward to jets being able to fly even slower. Because that's what the game needs, more mobile rocket pod turrets of death.

Edit: Construction Loader with Bucket Mounted Engineer for Best Combat Vehicle of 2011,2012, and all years there-after.

Choppers aren't usually too hard to take down as long as they don't skitter towards their spawn at the first sign of a lock. You just have to be closer to them so that it takes less time to lock on.
    Planes, on the other hand...
    I understand that a lot of the balancing for planes is just the way they control. Once you can fly them, you've basically done the hard part. But it seems to happen a lot that you get one or two aces on one side, and the other side gets double teamed, or can't put up any kind of counter to them. If they removed extinguisher from planes it would balance the battlefield out a little more, I think. They're supposed to be fragile, so it makes sense to me that once you take so much damage, there's no bringing it back from crashing.

That, or make chopper guns do more damage to them. It's pretty silly how many gunner rounds it takes just to disable a jet. And with ramming thrown in, planes can get two kills for every one death just by going crosseyed at a bad time.

• mcdermottmcdermott Registered User regular
    JWashke wrote:
    So I finally picked this up over the weekend after having a blast in the beta. I went to apply for 101st Arcadians, but its not accepting new members. Everytime I'm playing the PA servers seem the be empty too. Is there an easy way to play with you guys?

Get in Ventrilo. That where mans meet up to go kill other unsuspecting mans.

The servers had some people tonight, but yeah they've been empty lately. Seems PA guys tend to just go pubstomp elsewhere (I've only joined them a couple times).

101st, and I believe 102nd, Arcadians are full for the moment (was there a 103rd? I thought there was), but there was talk of going through and booting people that aren't actually playing to make room for those that are.

Also, once you get into one of the platoons, send out some friend requests to mans...then you'll see that they're playing, and makes it easier to join them.

• JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    AF-IX wrote:
    Ass raped my Mink, Honch, & some dude named Applesauce on 360 tonight.
    Just read through these last pages and now I feel like a dick for using the USAS. In all fairness...I resorted to it when it was the 9 on 4 match against us & getting PA raped.

Kept using it all night...our team DID suck balls though. Me & Gradient holding it down while everyone else had heads up their asses. No more USAS against fellow PA mans from now on for me.

You continue using the USAS all you want. Xbox people don't QQ about it. Save the drama for the PC people.

I write you a story
    But it loses its thread
    mcdermott wrote:
    Also, to at least tangentially address the drama, it's almost always safe to assume that if somebody doesn't reply directly to what you type in text chat, they didn't see it. Nobody uses that crap. Especially because it fades out after like six seconds, so it's always "oh hey somebody said some...never mind, back to shootin' mans."

Its really dumb that there isnt a button to bring the chat window back up. You could do it in BC2, I dont know why you cant do it in BF3. I dont mind communicating via text, but since the chat window goes away and cant come back without someone else saying someone its kind of useless. Like, if youre not going to give me voice communication in-game, at least give me a functional text system. Sadly what we have is way better than whats available in Co Op.

Also, Im not sure I get the point of platoons, its not like its easy for me to find people in the platoon that are playing and join on them.

• MandresMandres Registered User regular
    Satsumomo wrote:

Bingo. That shit is so broken, I don't care what Shiashi says ;-)

I really like how difficult it is to spot infantry at a glance in this game. It keeps you on your toes, and makes the MAV/TUG a valuable tool for the squad. The IRNV completely overrides that element of the game though.

I think they should leave the IR effect the same as it is now, but remove the center dot reticule and make the scope available only for sniper rifles. Make it mainly a spotting tool, not a killing tool and make the recon class a little bit more useful. You could have a guy whose job it is to take to high ground and spot enemies with the IR.

That gif is a little biased though, I mean I was able to pick out a couple of the people and it was definitely easier to see them with the IRNV, but on a bigger screen (ie, not a 200x200 picture) its much easier to spot those people.

I mean, yeah, the point still stands, but its not like that picture is a totally fair comparison.

• DirtyboyDirtyboy Registered User regular
    I want some form of IRNV to stay in the game to counter the shrubbery armed with shotguns.

Hey man, horticulture is a dangerous hobby.

• KlykaKlyka DO you have any SPARE BATTERIES?Registered User regular
    I haven't played this game in 2 1/2 weeks.
    Good or bad thing? Seems like lots has gone to shit.

SC2 EU ID Klyka.110
    lTDyp.jpg
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    Me neither. But that was because I sort of burned out on it during the first week and when the novelty of the game wore off out I couldn't stop seeing all the flaws. I'm just waiting for some balances, small fixes and Karkand as for now. Will get back to it sooner or later.

• BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited November 2011
    Klyka wrote:
    I haven't played this game in 2 1/2 weeks.
    Good or bad thing? Seems like lots has gone to shit.

Good matches are still awesome.
    Bad matches are just a terrible experience... depends on the server sometimes.

Lots of certain OP weapons used and complained about.

If you notice, a lot of people who get to rank 43 suddenly gain 500 USAS kills while their top used weapon is around the same number of kills. Which is fine and dandy until the same players tell others not to use the thing...

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • HerothHeroth Registered User regular
    Dirtyboy wrote:
    I want some form of IRNV to stay in the game to counter the shrubbery armed with shotguns.

Thats the problem i see with it also... i admit i use the IRNV but only really because alot of people also use it and also alot of people just *camp* in bushes so unless you just randomly fire into every bush out there it gets abit silly after awhile but i honestly have no idea how to 'fix' IRNV but still allow it to act as a counter for people heavily camping.

1Gn4PNI.png
  • Kaboodles_The_AssassinKaboodles_The_Assassin Kill the meat. Save the metal.Registered User regular
    The IRNV needs more noise to make it harder to use. Brighter flashes from fire and explosions, or something. I don't get why the sun isn't visible from it either.

sXXjb1B.png
  • MovitzMovitz Registered User regular
    The IRNV needs more noise to make it harder to use. Brighter flashes from fire and explosions, or something. I don't get why the sun isn't visible from it either.

Cutoff filters and background correction. But from a gameplay perspective I have not idea why not.

• JorilJoril Registered User regular
    They could make IRNV like the infrared scopes in Call Of Duty. One colour, tints only, lots of ghosting, zoomed in, small vison area.
    I think the problem is including tech that's kind of overpowered, if you can call it that, in real life.

bonesnacksig.jpg
  • MulletudeMulletude Registered User regular
    JebusUD wrote:
    AF-IX wrote:
    Ass raped my Mink, Honch, & some dude named Applesauce on 360 tonight.

You continue using the USAS all you want. Xbox people don't QQ about it. Save the drama for the PC people.

Yeah, maybe it's because we play on the Box but I don't really get to excited about the IRNV or USAS with frags. I can generally overcome these kinds of things anyways.

Didn't play at all last night but hopefully you guys are up for games today.

XBL-Dug Danger WiiU-DugDanger Steam-http://steamcommunity.com/id/DugDanger/