As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Zelda Minish Cap

StonecutterStonecutter Registered User regular
edited February 2007 in Games and Technology
So I can't seem to find this game anywhere outside of ebay, and the prices for a new copy (or just game + manual) are outrageous. Is it worth it? I can't remember what the general sentiment was when the game came out, but I'm itching for some fresh handheld zelda action.

Stonecutter on

• Bob SappBob Sapp Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I wouldn't advise paying more than $30. It's fun, but short. Somewhat gimmicky (I think, can't really remember).

Bob Sapp on
    fizzatar.jpg
  • ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's okay. Nothing particularly amazing though.

Do you have a GBA/Link's Awakening?

Elendil on
  • deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I really enjoyed it.

deadonthestreet on
  • jclastjclast Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's good.

And it is gimmicky, but it's gimmicky in the same way that most other Zelda games are gimmicky. Ocarina of Time's gimmick was time, Oracle of Season's gimmick was weather, Oracle of Ages gimmick was time, Majora's Mask's gimmick was masks, and Wind Waker's gimmick was wind and its effects.

Minish Cap's gimmick is size, and it works well. The graphics, like Four Swords Adventures, look like a mix between Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

It's short, which is par for the course for a portable Zelda game, and it's fun. The only downside I can really think of is that it's probably the easiest Zelda game I've ever played. Didn't stop me from enjoying it, but I didn't die once, nor was I ever really in danger of doing so.

jclast on
    camo_sig2.png
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    jclast wrote: »
    It's good.

And it is gimmicky, but it's gimmicky in the same way that most other Zelda games are gimmicky. Ocarina of Time's gimmick was time, Oracle of Season's gimmick was weather, Oracle of Ages gimmick was time, Majora's Mask's gimmick was masks, and Wind Waker's gimmick was wind and its effects.

Minish Cap's gimmick is size, and it works well. The graphics, like Four Swords Adventures, look like a mix between Link to the Past and Wind Waker.

It's short, which is par for the course for a portable Zelda game, and it's fun. The only downside I can really think of is that it's probably the easiest Zelda game I've ever played. Didn't stop me from enjoying it, but I didn't die once, nor was I ever really in danger of doing so.
    Towards the end I wish they had used the "gimmick" a bit more. Shrinking down to Minish size was pretty much abandoned for the last third of the game.

Still, it's probably one of the most creative Zelda games in terms of puzzles (also has one of my most favorite Zelda bosses ever).

Pooch on
  • ZephosZephos Climbin in yo ski lifts, snatchin your people up. MichiganRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    i thought it was a great game!

easily some of the best fun to be had on the GBA.

Zephos on
    Xbox One/360: Penguin McCool
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Awesome game. Catchy music, fun new items/upgrades/fights, likable characters and plenty of charm.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I remember loving it, but I can't actually remember any one key event from the game.

Wait, now that I mention it: there was a forest. And a mine of some sort.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Tails CorraTails Corra Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'd endorse this as being my second favorite Zelda game (behind the NES original), although I admit it has a few down-points.

In general scale, the overworld is a scootch smaller than the usual Zeldas. And while it attempts to bring a lot of new items to the table, a lot of them don't have any real combat function (which I consider a trademark of a Zelda game. being able to use items outside of puzzles).

The general asthetic and music is very well done, oddly making me feel a little nostalgic at times. The animation is as fluid as any previous Zelda game and both Link and Elzo seem to ooze personality because of it.

This Zelda's 'gimmick' in using Link's size is used quite often for the earlier parts of the quest, although in turn with the limited map size it can easily confuse a player into wondering weither they have the nessesary components to access even the most basic entrance or secret that's laid out in the open. Using Minish-Link on a standard map is something paced well in the dungeons that use it, but not so well in the overworld itself because of this.

And like jclast said, it's fairly easy but then again most Zeldas seem to be these days (I only died once in TP, trying to learn how to handle wolf-link as well as lacking proper sleep from the Wii launch).

Overall though, I think Minish Cap is thouroughly satisfying.

Tails Corra on
    Wii FC: 4136 3615 8283 3576
    Brawl: 3265 4738 2973
  • DavoidDavoid Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's good, great game, but not the most memorable of the Zeldas I found... I barely remember any of it, except that it was an exceptional game. Guess it just lacked that legendary Zelda charm.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked the game but what made me angry was that you could miss the light arrows and when I play Zelda, I like to have all the item slots filled and have all the heart pieces. I had to replay the whole game just to get those stupid arrows. I'll admit that I should've seen the portal that took me to the old guy because it was right out there in the open, but I was just blind or something on my first playthrough. I seem to remember thinking I had already taken it too.

I also can't remember anything from the game but I do remember the forest music was a fantastic tune. I can't recall how it went though.

Gilder on
  • PoochPooch Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Gilder wrote: »
    I liked the game but what made me angry was that you could miss the light arrows and when I play Zelda, I like to have all the item slots filled and have all the heart pieces. I had to replay the whole game just to get those stupid arrows. I'll admit that I should've seen the portal that took me to the old guy because it was right out there in the open, but I was just blind or something on my first playthrough. I seem to remember thinking I had already taken it too.

I also can't remember anything from the game but I do remember the forest music was a fantastic tune. I can't recall how it went though.
    Yeah, this had way too many things you could miss, and I'm betting fusing all the stones was a real bitch for completionists.

Pooch on
    edited February 2007
    Couldn't you save post final boss too? I know you could in the Oracle games... well, post each respective games final boss anyhow, which, though it had a reason, never felt right.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Oh I forgot. The kinstone system was kind of stupid. You eventually have enough of all kinstone pieces and are just looking for people to fuse with. You fuse kinstones, go to the place and arrrg it's another kinstone piece.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked the fusing, though it was a bit tedious. But not QUITE as tedious as the stupid figurine things.
    I still liked the oracles better, but this was a good deal of fun too.
    They always seem to have them at my gamestop for $20, so you may want to try there(used, not new)

Spectral Swallow on
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked the fusing, though it was a bit tedious. But not QUITE as tedious as the stupid figurine things.

I don't get why they balanced it that way. Super Smash Brothers Melee had the chance increase by 5% for every extra coin, and that was perfect.

jothki on
  • BTPBTP Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Regarding the overall Zelda storyline, which should I play first? MC or FSA?

I get the feeling that FSA is based on FS that was with LttP:GBA, but having read the manual to MC......yeah, it should be obvious why I'm asking. My gut is telling me to play MC first, but I want to make sure.

BTP on
    Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
    I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
    Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
    Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
    Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
    TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
    Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
    Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
  • Spectral SwallowSpectral Swallow Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    BTP wrote: »

I get the feeling that FSA is based on FS that was with LttP:GBA, but having read the manual to MC......yeah, it should be obvious why I'm asking. My gut is telling me to play MC first, but I want to make sure.

I didn't notice anything in either game that directly tied into the other. But I'm sure some Zelda enthusiasts will come in here to yell at me.

Though for the record, the only Zelda's I saw that were even remotely connected were Ocarina, Majora, and wind waker. And the oracles. Most of them seemed to be self contained. And none of them needed the story from it's predecessor to be enjoyed fully.

Spectral Swallow on
    edited February 2007

I didn't notice anything in either game that directly tied into the other. But I'm sure some Zelda enthusiasts will come in here to yell at me.

Though for the record, the only Zelda's I saw that were even remotely connected were Ocarina, Majora, and wind waker. And the oracles. Most of them seemed to be self contained. And none of them needed the story from it's predecessor to be enjoyed fully.

Well, 1 and 2 were directly connected, and LttP and LA, but in manual only in both cases.

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • jothkijothki Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

Well, the sword in MC is the Four Sword, but that's not even important enough to be worth spoilering. Go ahead and play them in any order.

jothki on
  • bruinbruin Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's the worst Zelda game I've played, but I still think it's a really good game. One of the GBA must-owns.

bruin on
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I didn't really like it at all. At least the first time through. For some reason, when I played through it a second time on my "beat every Zelda game again before TP comes out" quest, I enjoyed it a lot more.

My main problems with it are the small-segmented overworld, and the fact that the game's difficulty is cheap in some parts while otherwise it's incredibly easy.

mntorankusu on
  • Brodo FagginsBrodo Faggins Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The game felt incredibly easy to me, and at some point, I just lost interest. I didn't beat it, nor do I care to go back to do so.

Brodo Faggins on
    9PZnq.png
  • mntorankusumntorankusu I'm not sure how to use this thing.... Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    There is one part in this game that's made of total and complete win though.
    The Royal Family's tomb, or whatever it was. Zelda 1 throwback for the win.

mntorankusu on
  • LorkLork Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It's very good
    for a Capcom Zelda.

Lork on
    Steam Profile: Lork
  • HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I liked it alot.

It was the first 2D Zelda I've ever finished without the aide of a cheat device. Yes, I suck hardcore.

HadjiQuest on
  • TingleTingle __BANNED USERS regular
    edited February 2007
    Best Zelda game ever.

Tingle on
    edited February 2007
    Tingle wrote: »
    Best Zelda game ever.

No way.

zeldacd1.jpg

Davoid on
    rqv6.png
  • synthetic1synthetic1 Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Minish Cap is a great game that I fear will go down as the most underrated Zelda, along with Zelda 2.

synthetic1 on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "Hey Mega Man, join my side. You'll be mine, FOREVER!"
  • VeganVegan Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    The only Zelda games I've ever beaten are this, and Wind Waker.

I'm so ashamed.

Vegan on
    steam_sig.png
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    It kicks some ass and has some great ideas. If you like 2D Zelda, this game won't disappoint.

Kinstone matching sucks, however.

AbsoluteZero on
    cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • TolwrathTolwrath Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I found Minish Cap to be like a strange cross between Link to the Past and Ocarina of time. I found myself amused with the references to both games, such as the NPC's and music. I greatly enjoyed playing the game, and am able to play it for entire car/plane trips. This is a game that was fun for me when I was isolated from my computer for a week.
    Unfortunately the only replay value I found in the game is in trying to find all of the kinstones and figurines.

Tolwrath on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]