As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Castle Phalla (IX): Fifth Night - ******* *******

• Options
    RichyRichy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Rygar wrote: »
    Richy wrote: »
    This is gonna be the fastest Phalla in history.
    You could buy yourself some time by being helpful and giving a clear and complete account of what's going on with you.

Or you can just keep acting evasive and shifty and die.

Your call.

I did, its just a bandwagon now.
    Suit yourself, then. It's been nice knowing you.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Aroduc wrote: »
    Cantide wrote: »
    Actually, when we refer to staking people, I believe we're typically using the term to indicate a wooden stake. Like, through the heart. These are vampire assassins, you see.

Face ----> Palm

Hey, he needs to know what's what. As they say knowing is half the battle. And now he knows that the other half involves pointy wooden stakes.

To "burn X at the stake" is an expression derived from witch hunts and the like, and the tradition of... well... burning people tied to stakes. Consequentially, in contrast to his other insane ramblings, he was actually using the phrase correctly when he said he would "die at the stake."

You make a good point. My impression was that he saw our frequent usage of the terms 'stake' and 'staking' and, being unfamiliar with the previous Phallas and the vampires therein, assumed that we were talking about the burning kind of stake, rather than the stabbing kind.

Cantide on
  • Options
    DogDog Registered User, Administrator, Vanilla Staff admin
    edited February 2007
    This is gonna be the fastest Phalla in history.
    You could buy yourself some time by being helpful and giving a clear and complete account of what's going on with you.

Or you can just keep acting evasive and shifty and die.

Your call.

I did, its just a bandwagon now.
    Suit yourself, then. It's been nice knowing you.

I hope they kill you tonight too.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    BunyipBunyip Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it about 7:15 EST now? I guess the boards are on GMT?

Bunyip on
    twobit2a.gif
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bunyip wrote: »
    Is it about 7:20 EST now? I guess the boards are on GMT?

Yep and PST. Aren't they?

Edit: By which I mean -- you can set them to respond to your timezone, but as far as I know the boards are run from the West Coast of North America. I'm not sure where this game's being run from.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Is it about 7:15 EST now? I guess the boards are on GMT?
    Deadline is 11 PM Eastern, so... 3 hours, 43 minutes to go.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mine says 12:16 am, so probably it's an option somewhere.

Bunyip on
    twobit2a.gif
  • Options
    SmasherSmasher Starting to get dizzy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !retract for Casual Eddy

I !vote for Rygar

Even if he could somehow help us out, I don't trust him to do so competently.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Mine says 12:16 am, so probably it's an option somewhere.
    User Pannel -> Edit Options -> Date & Time Options

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    This would be really interesting if the Captain of the Guards defends me tonight, that would piss off a lot of people and allow me to exact needed revenge.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Defenders can't block stakings, only assassin or vigilante attacks.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Smasher wrote: »
    Defenders can't block stakings, only assassin or vigilante attacks.

Oh well, then I guess I am fucked.

Edit: But I would like to point out none of this you guys are pulling out of your asses if backed up in the first post. Not that I doubt it, but you guys really need an instructions thread so new people have a chance. Because this is perhaps the most retarded game I have played where you can get staked for asking a silly question. No, no perhaps, this is.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited February 2007
    Actually, when we refer to staking people, I believe we're typically using the term to indicate a wooden stake. Like, through the heart. These are vampire assassins, you see.

Face ----> Palm

Hey, he needs to know what's what. As they say knowing is half the battle. And now he knows that the other half involves pointy wooden stakes.

To "burn X at the stake" is an expression derived from witch hunts and the like, and the tradition of... well... burning people tied to stakes. Consequentially, in contrast to his other insane ramblings, he was actually using the phrase correctly when he said he would "die at the stake."

You make a good point. My impression was that he saw our frequent usage of the terms 'stake' and 'staking' and, being unfamiliar with the previous Phallas and the vampires therein, assumed that we were talking about the burning kind of stake, rather than the stabbing kind.

Well pip pip cheerio good sir!

Aroduc on
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I'm more interested in the "revenge" part.

Elendil on
  • Options
    precisionkprecisionk Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Elendil wrote: »
    ElJeffe wrote: »
    Can you provide some details about your conversation with Vish? How do you know the person he accused was innocent? Even if he accused someone who was innocent, how do you know it's because Vish is evil, and not because Vish is wrong?

I, at least, have no problems changing my vote, if I had some reason to do so. But you're painting a pretty fuzzy picture, here.

Tehspectre provided the Noble's background when I confronted him with the accusation. I am assuming this means Vishnub is an assassin.
    Typically, everyone gets them. Monster instructions are usually tacked onto the bottom of the PM after the cover story.

I dont know whats going on then, except I am dead.

Edit: and I am going to get lunch! You weirdos enjoy your little roleplay.

So I have been quiet far too long here. Obviously I have some encouraging evidence to say you say you are somethign you don't seem to be.

You specifically told me you can't be killed, due to some circumstance I don't believe I will devulge here. You are trying weave a web to lies what seems to be a great many amount and you really have shot yourself in the foot here. You specifically told me one thing and have totally contridictated by posting in this thread.

Now you claim your doom. Really...What is it? You claimed to be trustworthy and have shown nothing.

Until you can prove some amazing information or feat to me...

I !vote for Rygar.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    precisionk wrote: »
    Can you provide some details about your conversation with Vish? How do you know the person he accused was innocent? Even if he accused someone who was innocent, how do you know it's because Vish is evil, and not because Vish is wrong?

I, at least, have no problems changing my vote, if I had some reason to do so. But you're painting a pretty fuzzy picture, here.

Tehspectre provided the Noble's background when I confronted him with the accusation. I am assuming this means Vishnub is an assassin.
    Typically, everyone gets them. Monster instructions are usually tacked onto the bottom of the PM after the cover story.

So I have been quiet far too long here. Obviously I have some encouraging evidence to say you say you are somethign you don't seem to be.

You specifically told me you can't be killed, due to some circumstance I don't believe I will devulge here. You are trying weave a web to lies what seems to be a great many amount and you really have shot yourself in the foot here. You specifically told me one thing and have totally contridictated by posting in this thread.

Now you claim your doom. Really...What is it? You claimed to be trustworthy and have shown nothing.

I !vote for Rygar.

I know you dont have any sort of network and you were bullshitting me around.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I !vote for Rygar.

So says Captain Contradiction.

precisionk on
  • Options
    werehippywerehippy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !vote Rygar.

After I didn't outright vote for him in the thread, he's been talking to me a bit, and despite the fact I think we had to kill him I wish it wasn't tonight. He won't give me any more info, but it seems clear he had/has no idea what was going on, and somehow vishNub new that, locked into it, and took him for a ride.

I think regardless of what rygar turns out to be, VishNub is going to be my vote tomorrow, barring an amazing explanation for his actions.

werehippy on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I !vote for Rygar.

So says Captain Contradiction.

You get what you sew, as I am about to find out, maybe you will too.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

I am sewing a nice pair of breeches. It looks like we're in the castle for a while and the corridors are drafty.

Bunyip on
    twobit2a.gif
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

I am sewing a nice pair of breeches. It looks like we're in the castle for a while and the corridors are drafty.

Will you make me some breeches? I only have this pair. Here, let me take off my breeches for you to look at. I'm not wearing anything under them. I hope you don't mind.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    werehippy wrote: »
    I !vote Rygar.

After I didn't outright vote for him in the thread, he's been talking to me a bit, and despite the fact I think we had to kill him I wish it wasn't tonight. He won't give me any more info, but it seems clear he had/has no idea what was going on, and somehow vishNub new that, locked into it, and took him for a ride.

I think regardless of what rygar turns out to be, VishNub is going to be my vote tomorrow, barring an amazing explanation for his actions.
    Interesting. I'm writing down VishNub's name for tomorrow. Vish, you should start explaining yourself.

Richy on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    titmouse wrote: »

Will you make me some breeches? I only have this pair. Here, let me take off my breeches for you to look at. I'm not wearing anything under them. I hope you don't mind.

:(

Don't make me stake you.

Bunyip on
    twobit2a.gif
  • Options
    GrimmyTOAGrimmyTOA Registered User regular
    edited February 2007

In all fairness, there was an explanatory link -- either in this thread or the pre-game one -- that outlined the ground rules. I'm sorry that you didn't know and you're getting killed for not knowing, but the first few days are pretty random and as a general rule anyone who calls attention to himself is liable to be staked.

You called a lot of attention to yourself.

Also, you've never really substantiated your doom & gloom threats -- you've just made them. If you've got something to back it up -- if you're a special, whatever -- then just come out and say it. Nothing worse than what's already happening to you can really happen, and maybe it'll change some minds.

GrimmyTOA on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Don't make me stake you.

We could discuss this in my bedroom.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Don't make me stake you.

This Castle already has enough gayness and we can't accommodate you two.

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

Don't make me stake you.

This Castle already has enough gayness and we can't accommodate you two.

How about if we let you join us?

Couscous on
  • Options
    thorgotthorgot there is special providence in the fall of a sparrowRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !retract my vote for Eddy and I !vote for Rygar.

Seriously, if you're a special, you should probably come out and say it now.

thorgot on
    campionthorgotsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    Looking at the player list, there are three or four other people I don't recognize from other games, and thus might be in a similar situation as Rygar knowledgewise. So, here's a list of things to know that generally apply across all games.

When a person has a special role that involves them actively doing something, either pro- or anti-village, they pm that action to the person running the game (henceforth GM). Their votes for staking in the thread are completely independent, but can be the same if they want.

Specials and monsters both vote in the thread for staking each night just like villagers, and their votes count.

Seers have (usually) one vision per night of a player of their choice. They see that player's affiliation, and in most games also see if they have a special role, though this varies.

Guardians protect one player (which can be the guardian himself if he wants) per night from monster and vigilante attacks. If multiple people attack the guardian's target he will still survive. They cannot protect against stakings.

Vigilantes get kills either every night or every other night. They don't have to kill anyone if they don't want to.

Villager specials usually don't know each other at the start of the game, while monster specials usually do. The exception are stonecutters, who are a group of 3 regular villagers who mutually know they are all innocent.

Some games have a thrall, who is a person with no special powers but who wins if the monsters do. This person can be dangerous because they seer as innocent, and thus can infiltrate the seer's network.

Most of the recent games have had hidden game mechanics, so players may not be aware of all the roles. This includes certain standard roles (often the monsters) having unusual abilities. The fact that this is the case may or may not be announced in the rules.

Smasher on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    thorgot wrote: »

Yeah srsly totally. The narration is blind you'll just have to guess.

Unknown User on
  • Options
    WerewulfyWerewulfy Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Bah, my gut's telling me this isn't a good idea, but Rygar is acting like an idiot and I need to vote, so meh.

I !vote for Rygar

Werewulfy on
  • Options
    Elbonian ManElbonian Man Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    I !vote for Aroduc

Rygar's being odd and I'm always weary of having all our eggs in one basket so I'm diversifying the vote a little bit.

Elbonian Man on
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007
    I !vote for Rygar!

I didn't want to kill him tonight, and I'm not yet convinced he's the Wraith. But I'd rather not to keep him around to find out about his supposed powers after that 'revenge' comment. And he's not that good of a player, so no big loss.

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
  • Options
    ElJeffeElJeffe Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited February 2007

"Your uncertainty will be my revenge! Neener neener!"

ElJeffe on
    I submitted an entry to Lego Ideas, and if 10,000 people support me, it'll be turned into an actual Lego set!If you'd like to see and support my submission, follow this link.
  • Options
    Casual EddyCasual Eddy The Astral PlaneRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Erm... thanks rygar?

You got ye olde voters of my back. I'll just be sure to talk regular talk from now on.

And where are the stakings going on? Let Viscount Eddy show you a good time.

Casual Eddy on
  • Options
    GoslingGosling Looking Up Soccer In Mongolia Right Now, Probably Watertown, WIRegistered User regular
    edited February 2007
    Erm... thanks rygar?

You got ye olde voters of my back. I'll just be sure to talk regular talk from now on.

I'm holding the stakings at mtvcdm's House O' Death And Refrigerator Repair.

Gosling on
    I have a new soccer blog The Minnow Tank. Reading it psychically kicks Sepp Blatter in the bean bag.
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Erm... thanks rygar?

Sounds like the name of an Assassin's House.....hmmm....

precisionk on
  • Options
    edited February 2007
    mtvcdm wrote: »
    Erm... thanks rygar?

Sounds like the name of an Assassin's House.....hmmm....
    Yeah, I've been meaning to change it, but you would not believe the language in this lease.

Gosling on
  • Options
    edited February 2007

"My death will be your revenge! Neener neener!"

Unknown User on
  • Options
    VishNubVishNub Registered User regular
    edited February 2007
    How in god's name did I get dragged into this?

Neither Rygar nor Spectre has PMd me. The only person who has is precisionk, asking "what my angle in this" is. Which is a fair question, because I certainly have no idea what's going on.

VishNub on
This discussion has been closed.