As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Forza 4] SBC 2012 Season 2: "It's Good Enough"

• Options
    VeeveeVeevee WisconsinRegistered User regular
    Nazi

• Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    ^ Best top of page post ever.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    I was not aware the Jag D-Type was 3 million credits.

Well, good thing I hardly spend any of the money awarded by racing online. >.>

The default tune on it is pretty good. I pretty much just tweaked it and it's stable as all get out. Simplest tune ever.

• Options
    Also, anyone planning on racing tonight?

• Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    Yeah I'll probably be on.

maybe

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    I'll be on, as normal.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    LTMLTM Bikes and BeardsRegistered User regular
    I wasn't on until later. Even then, I was mostly just trying to buy cars to fill in the Event List spaces.

I think I spent 3.5mil last night, and even bought the cheap McLaren.

• Options
    oldmankenoldmanken Registered User regular
    So I managed a 2:13.077 on Mugello, and then mucked around with my setup and can't get it close again. That's with no aero as well.

How is everyone else stacking up?

• Options
    I've learned over the last few days that I'm physically unable to get a clean lap with any car in R* classes.

• Options
    LTM wrote: »
    I've learned over the last few days that I'm physically unable to get a clean lap with any car in R* classes.

Why's that? Do you just try and take corners too fast? I know I do that in R2 and R1.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Yeah, and I think I don't tune for enough handling/can't control the tail in powerful cars. So I end up overdrifting/sliding a corner and lose control.

• Options
    BasticleBasticle Registered User regular
    so, oldmanken, have we established the rules for car builds for the next mini-SBC?

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    B500, with Sport tires... I'm not entirely sure we need any other restrictions.

Sound good?

• Options
    about to break something

trying to beat the next person in line (groovetini) on the monthly rivals event on maple valley.

after 20 laps I'm getting pissed because I either almost flip it in the esses or I somehow dirty the lap and that dirties the next lap and I'm on this huge cycle of fail. Finally I'm well ahead of groove on my way to a sweet victory when 3 corners from the finish line my wheel freaks out, hits the telemetry and downshifts for me and off zooms groove into the sunset.

so fucking mad

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Basticle wrote: »
    about to break something

trying to beat the next person in line (groovetini) on the monthly rivals event on maple valley.

after 20 laps I'm getting pissed because I either almost flip it in the esses or I somehow dirty the lap and that dirties the next lap and I'm on this huge cycle of fail. Finally I'm well ahead of groove on my way to a sweet victory when 3 corners from the finish line my wheel freaks out, hits the telemetry and downshifts for me and off zooms groove into the sunset.

so fucking mad

Turn on rewind for rivals, you can rewind a dirtying and it won't count toward the next lap. Super handy.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    Knight_ wrote: »
    about to break something

so fucking mad

Turn on rewind for rivals, you can rewind a dirtying and it won't count toward the next lap. Super handy.

Holy shit why did I never think of this before...

• Options
    oh trust me i exploit that all the time

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    You need some downforce mang. I just raced your ghost and you're just way too slow in the sweepers.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    So I won't be racing tonight, even though I'll probably be online eventually.

When is the Mini-SBC officially starting? Next Thursday?

EDIT: And the R2 craziness on Old Musanne is so fun. So, so fun.

Knight, the reason you were getting toasted is because the rest of us have all played with hitting the physics limit. My McLaren hits 264mph, and I have a Veyron SS in R1 that hits the 274mph cap.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    Yeah my Saleen and F1 both hit 272, but no further.

u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Maybe it's 272. Anyway, the Veyron SS is the only car I've managed to get that high so far.

The McLaren F1 GTR is tuned for top speed only, so is squirrely as hell in the corners for lack of downforce. I still love to drive it. :P

I think I'm going to sit down with that Aventador some more. It is so much more fun RWD than AWD, but can be a bit hard to control at times.

I should tune up another R3 car. I think that's my favorite class.

• Options
    How do you know when you're hitting the physics limit? I never really race on Mulsanne, but I'm sort of curious.

I've tuned my R2 Veyron for max hp and min weight, but I bet it'd still get dusted by you guys.

• Options
    edited May 2012
    Nova_C wrote: »
    So I won't be racing tonight, even though I'll probably be online eventually.

When is the Mini-SBC officially starting? Next Thursday?

EDIT: And the R2 craziness on Old Musanne is so fun. So, so fun.

Knight, the reason you were getting toasted is because the rest of us have all played with hitting the physics limit. My McLaren hits 264mph, and I have a Veyron SS in R1 that hits the 274mph cap.

Oh, I know exactly why, my only tuned car in R2 is an Audi A4 GT car, crazy fun and stupid fast around most tracks, but it tops out at like 170. It's just hilarious to be in a Zonda R and be passed like you're standing still. I have a few R3 cars that go zoomy (World's scariest McLaren F1), but we don't do enough R2 for me to bother making another R2 car. :p

Edit: Yea, R3 is a great class, I love my M3 Art Car and the Ferrari Go Kart, both really fun.

Knight_ on
    aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    LTM wrote: »
    How do you know when you're hitting the physics limit? I never really race on Mulsanne, but I'm sort of curious.

I've tuned my R2 Veyron for max hp and min weight, but I bet it'd still get dusted by you guys.

Because the car pulls extremely hard until about 260, hits a wall, crawls into the 270s and even on the "downhill" portion of the Mulsanne struggles get past 271 and hits what is effectively Forza's c, 272 MPH.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    Maybe I'll actually try this out if I play tonight. Nothing but all my best cars on Mulsanne, lol.

• Options
    So a Mugello race with our miniSBC cars, and then some mucking about in R2 and R3 cars after? I'm in for that tonight, and will look forward to some track suggestions for miniSBC as well.

• Options
    oldmanken wrote: »
    So a Mugello race with our miniSBC cars, and then some mucking about in R2 and R3 cars after? I'm in for that tonight, and will look forward to some track suggestions for miniSBC as well.

Sounds funsies. I should probably make a silly R2 car that isn't my Audi...

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    I should probably make one that dosent require traction control

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I should probably make one that dosent require traction control

Naw, the Venom is totally fine. Super safe.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I've gotta tweak my 8c, see if I can get it to, you know, turn.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    I've gotta tweak my 8c, see if I can get it to, you know, turn.

Psh, turning.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    The DeliveratorThe Deliverator Slingin Pies The California BurbclavesRegistered User regular
    I'm sorry about the mess on nurburgring. R2 cars and I just don't get along well.

• Options
    That R2 Audi A4 on the Nurburgring is my favorite race/car combo. It's so fun to chuck into corners.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    acidlacedpenguinacidlacedpenguin Institutionalized Safe in jail.Registered User regular
    the best part about downshifting from 3rd to 2nd in the radical is pissing off groove, that's what I learned tonight.

GT: Acidboogie PSNid: AcidLacedPenguiN
  • Options
    groovegroove Enforcer SeattleRegistered User regular
    Sorry, my sarcasm setting was off last night, I wasn't really pissed, just resigned. I could see what was going to happen to me ~3-5 seconds before it did, so my reaction was "of course it's the fuckwit in the overgrown go kart that's fucking up my day."

[E]
    axlky.jpg
  • Options
    BloodsheedBloodsheed Registered User regular
    I really do enjoy R2, it's just a little... messy... when we have that many people, I think. Those cars tend to be overpowered, super light, super delicate and aero-dependent.

It was all worth it for me though, for gaining ~2k on Knight on the straight after the first lap, which would have worked better if I hadn't caught up to him right at the bend and had to choose between bailing into the grass or plowing into him at 240+. Or blowing past Kemlo on the straight on the final lap. That RUF is, without doubt, my favorite car in my garage, and the entire reason I'm excited for the Porsche pack.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the 8c stop understeering I would have a favorite R3 car too. I've already tuned every blasted setting that even hints at "reduces understeer" and the thing still has a turning radius greater than the Transit. Well, at least it's better than the Bentley.

Xbox Live, Steam, PSN: Eclibull
  • Options
    Bloodsheed wrote: »
    I really do enjoy R2, it's just a little... messy... when we have that many people, I think. Those cars tend to be overpowered, super light, super delicate and aero-dependent.

It was all worth it for me though, for gaining ~2k on Knight on the straight after the first lap, which would have worked better if I hadn't caught up to him right at the bend and had to choose between bailing into the grass or plowing into him at 240+. Or blowing past Kemlo on the straight on the final lap. That RUF is, without doubt, my favorite car in my garage, and the entire reason I'm excited for the Porsche pack.

Now if I could just figure out how to make the 8c stop understeering I would have a favorite R3 car too. I've already tuned every blasted setting that even hints at "reduces understeer" and the thing still has a turning radius greater than the Transit. Well, at least it's better than the Bentley.

The tiny JATO powered dot in my rearview is the scariest ever.

I tried to give you space on the inside, but I think I should have taken the inside and left you the outside since you were going so fast. We did have a 80 mph speed differential, so I'm not sure if there was a good solution when you caught me in the kink :p

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2012
    just a recap here are the porsches officially revealed so far

Cars that were in Forza 3:

1970 914/6
    2010 Boxster S
    1987 959
    1995 911 GT2 (993)
    2004 911 GT3 (996)
    2007 911 GT3 RS (997)
    2010 911 Sport Classic (997/2)
    2008 #2 Gruppe Orange Racing 911 GT3 Cup (997)
    2005 #31 Petersen-White Lightning 911 GT3-RSR (996)

Cars that were in Forza 3 but have a newer version in Forza 4:

2011 #045 Flying Lizard Motorsports 911 GT3-RSR (997/2) (was the 997)
    2012 Cayenne Turbo (was the 2009)

Cars that are new to Forza 4:

2011 #54 Black Swan Racing 911 GT3 Cup (997/2)

there are 9 more cars yet to be revealed

*edit* if all those numbers letters made your eyes glaze over heres a very brief explanation

the different generations of 911s have different internal designations.

the 993 was produced from 1994 to 1997 and was the last of the air-cooled engine 911s
    996 ran from 1998 to 2004 and was the first of the water-cooled engine 911s
    997 is the outgoing generation and ran from 2005-2011
    the 997 series also had a mid-life update in 2009. Referred to as the 997/2 the cars got new suspension, new direct injection systems, new clutches, new transmissions etc.

the Race editions, come in two different flavors. the GT3 Cup cars are essentially road cars heavily modified with roll cages and all kinds of race parts. the GT3-RSR cars are built from the ground up as race cars and share little with the road going car.

Basticle on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    SiliconStewSiliconStew Registered User regular
    Guesses on what's left? Just based on FM3, I'd say:

R1 class Prototype
    R2 class GT1
    Carerra GT
    '73 RS
    Cayman
    Panamera
    550 Spyder (though a 356 would be nice)

Just remember that half the people you meet are below average intelligence.
  • Options
    If there's a 917, it's a purchase.

u4OkoEI.png