As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Fantasy Signups Now Open [BASKETBALL]

• Options
    XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens gushed about time spent with Rajon Rondo during a visit to the All-Star point guard's summer camp Thursday.

"I just went down there because I wanted to get a chance to sit down with him," said Stevens, noting he had returned home to Indianapolis and made the two-hour ride down to Louisville. "We spent quite a bit of time just alone together talking, just learning more about him. I just enjoyed spending time with him and asking him questions, not only about his time with the Celtics but time before. I found him to be really, really intelligent, really, really insightful. I thought he had great ideas. I'm really looking forward to working with him."

maybe the plan is to build around Rondo

who I think could be an MVP candidate if they make noise considering the Celtics roster

• Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    the celtics will not make noise

the celtics do not want to make noise

the celtics will not play rondo long enough to be an mvp candidate

should the celtics stupidly play rondo long enough to be an mvp candidate, rondo will not be an mvp candidate

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    MaximumMaximum Registered User regular
    How much time is Rondo going to miss? ACL's generally take a year, so that means he'll miss the first month or two of the season.

Add on the fact that Boston will be in the tank for a lottery pick and you might not see him until after the all star game, if at all.

• Options
    ok eventually he could continue his playoff success and win a lot of people back over

or not at all I dunno but that endorsement helps I guess

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    Rondo will never be an MVP candidate. He's not a good enough scorer or defender to be an MVP candidate. He's maybe the 3rd best overall point guard in the Eastern conference and this is an era full of great point guards.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    simosimo Registered User regular
    lebron will win the mvp unless he is injured or a combination of chris paul/durant career year + lebron voter fatigue happens

there is like a less than 5% chance of another outcome

the nba is pretty predictable

bugss2.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    yeah the MVP thing is kinda dumb and just a silly media award and wish that wasn't the comment that people focused on

it's just weird to see Ray Allen and Doc Rivers say bad or even terrible things about him and then their new coach Brad Stevens is really, really impressed

who knows maybe this is all a charade and they take the Pistons offer to clear even more cap room

Xehalus on
  • Options
    What was Stevens supposed to say?

"Man, this Rondo guy is a complete and total asshole. Let's trade him to Utah for Gordon Hayward"

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    The Knicks should just call it and amnesty Stoudamire already. They are barely a playoff team in the East, and they would get destroyed against any of the West teams in a full series anyway...

• Options
    The Knicks should just call it and amnesty Stoudamire already. They are barely a playoff team in the East, and they would get destroyed against any of the West teams in a full series anyway...

They already used their amnesty on Chauncey Billups.

• Options
    edited July 2013
    -Only players who were signed to contracts before the institution of the last collective bargaining agreement (2011-’12 season) are eligible to be waived through the amnesty clause. Players who have been traded, even if their contracts predated the last CBA, cannot be amnestied, nor can any player whose contract has been extended or amended.

-Teams that have already used the amnesty provision cannot use it again.
    The following teams are not eligible to use their amnesty provision:

Brooklyn, Travis Outlaw

Cleveland, Baron Davis

Dallas, Brendan Haywood

Denver, Chris Andersen

Golden State, Charlie Bell

Houston, Luis Scola

Indiana, James Posey

LA Clippers, Ryan Gomes

LA Lakers, Ron Artest

Minnesota, Darko Milicic

New Orleans, NA (no eligible players for amnesty)

New York, Chauncey Billups

Orlando, Gilbert Arenas

Philadelphia, Elton Brand

Phoenix, Josh Childress

Portland, Brandon Roy

Washington, Andray Blatche

the current amnesty rule is tied to the CBA for now and maybe that changes if bad contracts get out of hand again

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Add Metta World Peace to that list.

It'll be a sad day for all sports fans when he boards that plane to play in China.

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    the mavs are up to 8 guards now i think. one center, who is 28 and in his second year.

great roster composition, donnie

• Options
    well if we can't defend Miami

we'll just outrun them

• Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    they did defend miami

they beat miami

• Options
    simo wrote: »
    lebron will win the mvp unless he is injured or a combination of chris paul/durant career year + lebron voter fatigue happens

there is like a less than 5% chance of another outcome

the nba is pretty predictable

If Rose comes back and has a huge season I could see him being a candidate again. I don't think Durant or any other forward can best Lebron for MVP though. Lebron does a lot of what Durant does and does it better.

PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    Metta World Peace came to terms with the New York Knicks on a two-year deal Monday, with the first year guaranteed

:^:

• Options
    edited July 2013
    Melo, Metta, Amar'e, and Bargnani

that is a lot of starting forwards

I guess Bargnani rotates to the 5 behind Chandler

Xehalus on
  • Options
    edited July 2013
    Metta should not have been starting the last 2-3 years. If Woodson has an ounce of sense he'll play Metta off the bench and he'll be very situational.

Butters on
  • Options
    TicaldfjamTicaldfjam Snoqualmie, WARegistered User regular
    Queens Bridge Dunn!!!

How much you want to bet Ron Ron (refuse to call him metta to feed the troll ego of his.) starts talking shit about Brooklyn?

• Options
    the Detroit Pistons have agreed to a sign-and-trade deal that will net Jennings, a restricted free agent, a new three-year contract worth in excess of $25 million.

The Bucks will receive guard Brandon Knight

I don't know if I like Jennings in that locker room

you still got a helluva front court, Joe

• Options
    I don't know. They traded one crappy guard that they don't have to pay a lot of money to for another crappy guard that they do have to pay a lot of money to.

• Options
    Miami Heat, C Greg Oden Agree to 2-Year, $ 2.17 million deal

Oden chose the Heat over San Antonio, Dallas, New Orleans, Sacramento and Atlanta, teams that -- with the exception of the Mavericks -- all sent representatives to Indianapolis last week to watch him work out in person

he says he's not 100%

I guess that shows how desperate some teams are for defense

• Options
    It's not so much that they're desperate as it is Oden's theoretical ceiling absolutely being worth a couple million to a contender. The odds that he'll play more than 10 games let alone a season are probably very slim but if he does manage to somehow make it through a season he's an absolute steal at that price. Center's don't exactly grow on trees. In fact I think it's safe to say true centers are as scarce right now as they've ever been.

• Options
    It's probably an insured contract as well, so if his knee goes out for the millionth time there's virtually no risk to the team financially.

• Options
    I'd love to see him in the starting rotation by March

but that's probably not happening

Birdman and Oden would be an interesting duo

• Options
    TheBigEasyTheBigEasy Registered User regular
    I'd guess they limit his playing in the regular season as much as possible so that he is ready for the playoffs. It wouldn't make sense for them to push him to play the whole season, only to have him go down right before the playoffs or something. Plus - I read somewhere that he probably won't be playing any games before Christmas anyways.

• Options
    He's going to have to put in some decent playing time in at least the latter third of the season in order to be a factor in the playoffs. Resting an injury prone free agent center the bulk of a season and then shoe-horning him in for the post season doesn't really work. Just ask Cleveland and Boston about their experiences with Shaq. Oden can't be expected to rest through April and then bang under the rim with Roy Hibbert in May. No one can.

• Options
    Well, Shaq was well past his prime when he came to Cleveland and Boston. But other than that I am with you. They won't rest him til April, but they won't risk losing him to an injury early in the season either.

• Options
    You say that like Oden has a prime. He's at risk for injury every day when he gets out of bed in the morning. If Oden can't play some real minutes in the regular season he's of no use.

• Options
    True.

It is still a low risk, high reward signing. If he can't give them anything, they are out of the vet minimum. If he can, he is underpaid.

• Options
    Leaving open the door to play overseas, seven-time All-Star Tracy McGrady retired from the NBA on Monday.

"It's been 16 years playing the game I love. I've had a great run, but it's time for it to come to an end," McGrady said on ESPN's "First Take."

McGrady averaged 19.6 points, 5.6 rebounds and 4.4 assists per game in a career that started in 1997, when he was drafted out of high school.

• Options
    TMZ reported this weekend that Lamar Odom has been battling a crack addiction the past two years which might explain him going from "Six Man of the Year" to "waste of roster space" in a matter of minutes.

• Options
    That is fucking crazy.

• Options
    edited August 2013
    he's been considered missing for 72 hours after a failed intervention

and Kloe is pretty much cussing out all the twitter schadenfreude at this point

Xehalus on
  • Options
    Which means he won't get a contract this season, if ever again.

• Options
    I don't know how strenuous the NBA drug testing policy is (I'm guessing "not very") but I find it hard to believe you can be using crack-cocaine for 2+ years and never test positive for it.

I'll wait until someone other than TMZ reports on it.

• Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    I was delighted to learn that if the Sixers fall be low the salary floor, which they're going to, they only thing they have to do is give the difference to the NBA as a fine.

I could not be happier that the team's leadership would rather give the NBA ten million dollars than some crappy vet who will just be a waste of space.

• Options
    MarthMarth Registered User regular
    Steam PSN LoL: SadSchaub Battle.net: SadSchaub#1357
This discussion has been closed.