As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Super[chat]

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    A lot of really good games came out that year, apparently

Warcraft III TFT
    F-Zero GX
    Mario Golf for gamecube
    Wind Waker
    KOTOR
    Ruby and Sapphire
    Dynasty Warriors 4
    Jedi Academy
    Beyond Good and Evil
    Mario Kart Double Dash
    Mario and Luigi Superstar Saga

Chriiiiiiist, no wonder as a 17 year old all I did was play games.

excellent year, my first in college

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MimMim I prefer my lovers… dead.Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:
    Mim wrote:
    Tourists in Philly are the best. I love seeing them run up the stairs at the art museum to do the Rocky thing.

Yeah; I did that two weeks ago.

You were probably talked about by all the native Philadelphians who saw you.

• Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    I think I remember the one at... dupont? being really long too

• Options
    WinkyWinky rRegistered User regular
    oh and Winky related to your inqury about integers and countability this is an interesting proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

Neat

• Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    People in the south have a much larger area of space they need to maintain between themselves and the next person.

Here in the city, squeezing by someone ain't no thing. Standing right up on someone in a crowded subway? No big deal.

SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    There's this great set of rickety wooden stairs heading down to the beach in Indianola. Found a pic online:

They look a lot steeper in person.

2226683531_4c4e371e53_z.jpg

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    I have never in my life even seen someone try to climb past other people on an escalator in real life outside of some zany movie set in a mall

climb?

you make it sound like someone is crawling on the banister

we're talking about walking up a set of stairs in the direction they're already moving

there is plenty of room on most escalators for someone to walk by you, oftentimes not even brushing against you

do escalators have different widths? Because every one I've ever been on is big enough for me to stand comfortably. This isn't even a fat joke, I'm not talking girth I'm talking normal leg spread.

O_o

Every time I go through Jackson-Hardt (Probably the most poorly-designed airport ever) I walk up the escalator until I hit some fat person that stands there, looks back over their shoulder, gives me a look like

"Oh. A mover."

and then goes back to occupying the entire width of the escalator.

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    Nerdgasmic wrote:
    I don't understand, deebaser

did you accidentally walk into an art installation

Nope. It's the Exchange Place Path Station. Everything is just more awesome in NYC.

/smug

• Options
    Winky wrote:
    oh and Winky related to your inqury about integers and countability this is an interesting proof: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hilbert's_paradox_of_the_Grand_Hotel

Neat
    hey that's something I've actually heard of

• Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    Hahahahah oh my god:

http://www.orlowlaw.com/Personal-Injury/Elevator-and-Escalator-Accidents.shtml
    New York City Escalator Accident Attorney

Are you suffering from an injury caused by an elevator or escalator accident? An experienced accident attorney can help you recover compensation. In New York City alone, each elevator makes approximately 500 trips a day. As another mode of transportation, most individuals trust that elevators and escalators will not cause them harm. Unfortunately, this is not always true, especially when certified inspections are neglected. Injury and even fatality will occur when such crucial inspections are not done properly. If you or your loved one has been injured in a New York elevator or escalator accident due to the negligence of another, an attorney at The Orlow Firm who is familiar with accident claim law can help you.

Have you or a family member been injured or killed in an elevator accident?

Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    I was trying to explain to my girlfriend that there is no public transit outside the cities, to include the suburbs.

"But... but what if you don't have a car?"

Then you're out of luck.
    As people told me when I moved to Michigan, "If you don't have a car, you're just another (insert racial slur) waiting for the bus."

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Ludious wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    I have never in my life even seen someone try to climb past other people on an escalator in real life outside of some zany movie set in a mall

climb?

we're talking about walking up a set of stairs in the direction they're already moving

there is plenty of room on most escalators for someone to walk by you, oftentimes not even brushing against you

do escalators have different widths? Because every one I've ever been on is big enough for me to stand comfortably. This isn't even a fat joke, I'm not talking girth I'm talking normal leg spread.

i mean i dunno i guess the size varies a little?

but either way there is definitely enough width on a normal escalator- in philly, new york city, boston, london, paris, tel aviv, daejong, and many other cities- for someone to walk by you on an escalator

i mean, maybe you'll not be able to fold out your elbow?

but you definitely don't have to like, turn sideways

• Options
    SparvySparvy Registered User regular
    Important to notice, if you are in Singapore or Malaysia or something, you stand on the left side and let people pass you on the right.

Just as they drive on the wrong side of the road they do escalators wrong. Still better than those places where nobody lets you pass at all, like apparently any place close to Ludious

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Ludious wrote:
    I do this literally every day. And I am not the only one.

And yeah, people will frequently stand next to each other on an escalator. Those people are inconsiderate dicks.

I missed a bus because of that one time.

Thanatos on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    yeah you could never do that on any escalator down here.

And trust me, I hate escalators. I know holding onto rails won't do a lot of good.

Here's the problem. 95% of the time, any place that has a choice between escalators and elevators, the elevators have big fuck you glass walls

and that's even more cripplingly terrifying than an escalator for me.

• Options
    riemann that's beautiful

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    syndalis wrote:
    People in the south have a much larger area of space they need to maintain between themselves and the next person.

Here in the city, squeezing by someone ain't no thing. Standing right up on someone in a crowded subway? No big deal.

I was just rubbing butts with a pretty indian girl. I wanted to toss her off the train anyways for cramming her ass on the subway like an idiot.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    Fuck me

Is this shit going to be as bad as X-2? I know we have some X-2 apologists in here, too.

A pre-emptive 'really, come on' to you as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Final_Fantasy_XIII-2

• Options
    Ludious wrote:

And trust me, I hate escalators. I know holding onto rails won't do a lot of good.

Here's the problem. 95% of the time, any place that has a choice between escalators and elevators, the elevators have big fuck you glass walls

Sorry to hear that, bro.

But that video I posted is par for the course in New York. People stand on the right, other people speed by you on the left.

• Options
    I think drez liked x-2

• Options
    DeebaserDeebaser on my way to work in a suit and a tie Ahhhh...come on fucking guyRegistered User regular
    syndalis wrote:

There's more dry humping on the 4/5 train in the morning than at a Technical Virgin Promise Ring Convention

• Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    Drez wrote:
    Hahahahah oh my god:

http://www.orlowlaw.com/Personal-Injury/Elevator-and-Escalator-Accidents.shtml
    New York City Escalator Accident Attorney

Are you suffering from an injury caused by an elevator or escalator accident? An experienced accident attorney can help you recover compensation. In New York City alone, each elevator makes approximately 500 trips a day. As another mode of transportation, most individuals trust that elevators and escalators will not cause them harm. Unfortunately, this is not always true, especially when certified inspections are neglected. Injury and even fatality will occur when such crucial inspections are not done properly. If you or your loved one has been injured in a New York elevator or escalator accident due to the negligence of another, an attorney at The Orlow Firm who is familiar with accident claim law can help you.

Have you or a family member been injured or killed in an elevator accident?

THAT KID IS BACK ON THE ESCALATOR, FUCK!

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    Sparvy wrote:
    Important to notice, if you are in Singapore or Malaysia or something, you stand on the left side and let people pass you on the right.

Just as they drive on the wrong side of the road they do escalators wrong. Still better than those places where nobody lets you pass at all, like apparently any place close to Ludious

Yeah, that makes sense.

every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

the "no true scotch man" fallacy.
  • Options
    Modern ManModern Man Registered User regular
    Deebaser wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

Nope. It's the Exchange Place Path Station. Everything is just more awesome in NYC.

/smug
    You were in Jersey City, so I'd wipe that smug look off your face young man.

Aetian Jupiter - 41 Gunslinger - The Old Republic
    Rigorous Scholarship

• Options
    thehumandignitythehumandignity Registered User regular
    syndalis wrote:

• Options
    FeralFeral MEMETICHARIZARD interior crocodile alligator ⇔ ǝɹʇɐǝɥʇ ǝᴉʌoɯ ʇǝloɹʌǝɥɔ ɐ ǝʌᴉɹp ᴉRegistered User regular
    edited December 2011
    Drez wrote:
    Ludious wrote:

Sorry to hear that, bro.

But that video I posted is par for the course in New York. People stand on the right, other people speed by you on the left.

SF too.

But just for transit. Not so much in shopping malls.

Feral on
    every person who doesn't like an acquired taste always seems to think everyone who likes it is faking it. it should be an official fallacy.

• Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    whenever I get on a subway I'm afraid someone is going to start groping me

• Options
    ThanatosThanatos Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Organichu wrote:
    Ludious wrote:
    climb?

O_o

Every time I go through Jackson-Hardt (Probably the most poorly-designed airport ever) I walk up the escalator until I hit some fat person that stands there, looks back over their shoulder, gives me a look like

"Oh. A mover."

and then goes back to occupying the entire width of the escalator.
    Why can't you taze those people instead of ethnic minorities?

• Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    Drez wrote:
    I'm kidding of course, Ludious. I wouldn't accost you or anyone else.

But what are your escalators like? Most in New York are at least 2.5 people wide.
    In the South the escalators are the same size

But only 1.25 persons wide

• Options
    I never played through most of X-2 but it has the best ATB system and the best or second best overall battle system of all the Final Fantasies.

And really the whole fanservice weeaboo complaints about FFX-2 are way overblown. What I played of it was fun and fast and wasn't the total fanservice people make it out to be.

• Options
    Modern Man wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

/smug

Check a few pages back. I'm trying to make Drez's Staten Island head explode.

• Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    Because fat isn't a good electrical conductor Than

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    I have never butt rubbed with a pretty Indian girl. Damn Upstate New York.

• Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    one time in the summer some friends and I found a car tire washed up on the beach and hauled it up to the top of those stairs I posted a pic of above (not my pic btw).

We rolled it down from the top and when it hit that landing it bounced so high it cleared the treebranches. Made quite an impact when it landed (the tide goes out over a half mile there)

Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    TL,DR wrote:
    Drez wrote:
    I'm kidding of course, Ludious. I wouldn't accost you or anyone else.

But what are your escalators like? Most in New York are at least 2.5 people wide.
    In the South the escalators are the same size

But only 1.25 persons wide

:/

• Options
    Deebaser wrote:
    Modern Man wrote:
    Deebaser wrote:
    Nerdgasmic wrote:

/smug

Check a few pages back. I'm trying to make Drez's Staten Island head explode.

Yeah yeah yeah.

• Options
    AbdhyiusAbdhyius Registered User regular
    "...no. It was a feeling." love that bit.

ftOqU21.png
  • Options
    I was trying to explain to my girlfriend that there is no public transit outside the cities, to include the suburbs.

"But... but what if you don't have a car?"

Then you're out of luck.

We do have Amtrak and Greyhound if you're just doing an occasional trip, like to visit your family or something. They're too expensive for commuter purposes though.

I prefer taking the Amtrak over flying actually.

• Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    Ludious wrote:
    Can someone with an understanding of electronic interference explain why, on my shitty work headphones that are plugged into my shitty work speakers, that when there is no sound playing, I can hear a faint humming, but it's not the humming that surprises me. I get that it's just dirty noise, but when I click different tabs in firefox, the sound of the noise CHANGES, one tab will be a high pitched hum, another steady static, a third a low pitched hum

what the fuck? Is that from the monitor putting off different fields, or from the computer itself wha

I believe that's interference from a power source somewhere.

Why it changes with firefox tabs, I don't know.

Change in power draw from something. Could be the CPU increasing it's draw, it could be the monitor increasing it's draw or the video card but likely it's power causing that hum. The hum is usually caused by a ground loop somewhere. There are ways to diagnose it and fix it. But it's pretty much one of the worst things in the world to troubleshoot.

• Options
    This is totally a thing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Escalator#Model_sizes_and_other_specifications

seems like I only encounter 600-800mm escalators

This discussion has been closed.