Options

[South Park: The Stick of Truth] Sequel announced by Ubisoft SanFran

• Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    Warlock82 wrote: »
    hippofant wrote: »
    It just occured to me that I never checked Chef's PO box after beating the game. Is there anything worthwhile in there to check it out post-game?

Pretty sure it was just a mediocre weapon strap-on. Maybe a shock damage on perfect hit.

Also you can check it out before beating the game. Chef's PO box key is available earlier, I think after going through the school the 2nd time.

Yeah it was disappointingly lame. Not even any good junk item references in there. It was like one weapon strap-on and I think an Afro wig.

It also had Chef's Chocolate Salty Balls. So, it was worth opening.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    Warlock82Warlock82 Never pet a burning dog Registered User regular
    There, all achievements done! Woooo!

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    A Facebook friend is complaining that she can't make her character a girl. The problem is that it doesn't really work in the context of the story, and yet she's claiming laziness.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    A Facebook friend is complaining that she can't make her character a girl. The problem is that it doesn't really work in the context of the story, and yet she's claiming laziness.

Pretty sure you can don a wig basically from the start of the game. Which... is pretty much the only indicator that your character is female other than pronoun usage.

Still... the South Park video game's probably the wrong place to be asking for gender equality. Though I guess Kenny is transsexual.

• Options
    C2BC2B SwitzerlandRegistered User regular
    edited March 2014
    Well,
    MAKEOVER

C2B on
  • Options
    jdarksunjdarksun Struggler VARegistered User regular
    What exactly doesn't work in the context of the story?

• Options
    Dr. ChaosDr. Chaos Post nuclear nuisance Registered User regular
    jdarksun wrote: »
    What exactly doesn't work in the context of the story?
    The Southpark kids have never really been cool with girls in their inner circle.

Cooties and all that.

Pokemon GO: 7113 6338 6875/ FF14: Buckle Landrunner /Steam Profile
  • Options
    Really? I can't remember any episodes where they reject a friend for being a girl.

• Options
    Maz-Maz- 飛べ Registered User regular
    At that age, boys just don't play with girls, in real life as in South Park.

Sure, there's Wendy and occasionally Bebe is involved in a story, but they're not really part of the core cast.

Add me on Switch: 7795-5541-4699
  • Options
    NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    I think its more or less that the kids are 4th graders. I know its the 2010s, but don't tell me that you didn't have or didn't notice others having hangups with girls joining in on boys' fun or vice versa when you were that age.
    It did take the New Kid venturing to Canada in order to get the girls to join in the game...

I'm not playing devil's advocate or white knight with the whole both genders in games that's been discussed to death around the 'net, but this was Matt and Trey's story, and apparently the New Kid was a boy.

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • Options
    Maz- wrote: »
    At that age, boys just don't play with girls, in real life as in South Park.
    My best friend in 4th grade was a girl.
    I'm not playing devil's advocate or white knight with the whole both genders in games that's been discussed to death around the 'net, but this was Matt and Trey's story, and apparently the New Kid was a boy.
    I'm not saying it wasn't their story, but consider how many scenes would have to change if they gave the player the option of playing a boy or a girl.

Because I can only think of one...
    ...in the abortion clinic, but hooboy, that one's a doozy.

From that perspective, it does seem pretty lazy not to allow the player to pick a girl.

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2014

It was a cost-saving measure. Obsidian didn't want to have to hire another voice actress and redo all the spoken dialog for a female character.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    StormwatcherStormwatcher Blegh BlughRegistered User regular
    Congrats on having a girl as 4th grade best friend, but that's not a very usual occurrence.

Steam: Stormwatcher | PSN: Stormwatcher33 | Switch: 5961-4777-3491
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    emnmnme wrote: »
    It was a cost-saving measure. Obsidian didn't want to have to hire another voice actress and redo all the spoken dialog for a female character.
    :Lol:

• Options
    edited March 2014

Ehhhh, more like THQ or Ubisoft as they are responsible for such (money related) decisions. (Depending when the change specific to that happened, as I remember the early trailers having no distinction)

Or Matt and Trey because they didn't want to write/voice the extra lines. They've been very conservative with branching in the first place.

C2B on
  • Options
  • Options
    edited March 2014
    It's a joke, C2B. The New Kid has a single line of dialog.

Noticed too late :)

I meant though in relation to other charachters. Like redoing the lines for *she* or *her*.

C2B on
  • Options
    You could probably get away with adding only a single line: Butters, at the beginning. "Sorry, New Kid, but you'll have to pretend to be a boy for a bit. The Grand Wizard doesn't like girls."

Then maybe change the final line, too. Something about comeuppance.

• Options
    AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Who gives a shit. It's South Park.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    There's something I find very funny about the new kid being a girl, and everyone just assumes she's a boy.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    AspectVoidAspectVoid Registered User regular
    C2B wrote: »

Ehhhh, more like THQ or Ubisoft as they are responsible for such (money related) decisions. (Depending when the change specific to that happened, as I remember the early trailers having no distinction)

Or Matt and Trey because they didn't want to write/voice the extra lines. They've been very conservative with branching in the first place.

I'm pretty sure the decision was made by Matt and Trey. I seem to recall an interview pre-release where they said that being a Girl just didn't fit the story. They tried, it wasn't working for the story, so they locked it into being a boy new kid.

PSN|AspectVoid
  • Options
    GaslightGaslight Registered User regular
    Really? I can't remember any episodes where they reject a friend for being a girl.

In the game it's more that the girls reject the boys for being dorks. There's at least one girl NPC who says she doesn't want to be seen with you if you try to speak to her.

• Options
    hippofanthippofant ティンク Registered User regular
    It's a joke, C2B. The New Kid has a single line of dialog.

That line of dialogue could actually probably pass for either male or female to me.

• Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    There's something I find very funny about the new kid being a girl, and everyone just assumes she's a boy.
    Yeah, just like the JRPG trope. Just look at it as another sendup of that.

• Options
    Wraith260Wraith260 Happiest Goomba! Registered User regular

i don't think that its explicitly stated that its because they're girls but both Wendy and Bebe are rejecting when they boys try to find a new replacement for Kenny in the Season 6 episode Professor Chaos.

• Options
    KingofMadCowsKingofMadCows Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    It would have been funny if you could choose the gender of your character but then everyone just assumes that you're a boy since you never talk. Then at the very end, there could be a joke where they find out that you're a girl.

KingofMadCows on
  • Options
    tolragtolrag Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    In the E3 trailer (on page 1 of this thread) it looks like you can make the new kid a girl, so I can see why someone might been have expecting it and feel a bit dissapointed.

Of course, it also says "March 2013".

tolrag on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited March 2014
    A neat joke if you created a girl character could have been all your farts in the game would become queefs. And by 'neat', I mean 'completely disgusting'.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    tolrag wrote: »
    In the E3 trailer (on page 1 of this thread) it looks like you can make the new kid a girl, so I can see why someone might been have expecting it and feel a bit dissapointed.

Of course, it also says "March 2013".
    My kid was wearing Valkyrie and Makeover gear for half the game, so he looked like a chick anyway.

• Options
    The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    The one thing that bummed me out about the character creation was there's basically no way for the game to recognize if you made a ginger. Because I totally made a ginger jew, and got nary a peep out of Cartmam except for the brief class joke he does.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
  • Options
    You know, playing through it again, I think most of the stuff they cut out was meant to go in the end of the game.
    Looking at the whole ending again, Clyde's forces are FULL of vampire kids but I don't believe you ever fight one. Also, I noticed during the Princess Kenny fight that the entire town is destroyed ala the trailer. And obviously, big Clyde would have gone there, considering you never actually fight Clyde which is pretty weird.

I'm thinking maybe some of this is day 4 stuff, since day 3 ends, then you immediately go to Clyde's fort on day 4 and yet it's already night.

Switch: 2143-7130-1359 | 3DS: 4983-4927-6699 | Steam: warlock82 | PSN: Warlock2282
  • Options
    DrunkMcDrunkMc Registered User regular

Just finished my 2nd playthrough and I was set to get the never finish a battle with a partner down.....and the fucking bank manager 1 shotted Cartman then bled out.........fuck

But I think I'm ok with not 100%ing this. I beat it twice, and had a good time!

• Options
    DrunkMc wrote: »

Just finished my 2nd playthrough and I was set to get the never finish a battle with a partner down.....and the fucking bank manager 1 shotted Cartman then bled out.........fuck

But I think I'm ok with not 100%ing this. I beat it twice, and had a good time!

That's when you reload :P

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular

I haven't come across anything that wouldn't have worked fine with a female character.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    The entire premise that the girls of South Park are their own faction and wouldn't want to play with the boys?

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Viskod wrote: »
    The entire premise that the girls of South Park are their own faction and wouldn't want to play with the boys?

This.

It's not some sexist thing that you technically cannot create a female character in the game, it just falls in line with the show and game itself. The boys are all 4th graders who don't typically play with the girls. The girls don't typically play with the boys either, and are their own faction in the game.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    KayKay What we need... Is a little bit of PANIC.Registered User regular
    After the makeover event, my New Kid has decided that he is much more comfortable as a girl, and now always wears her stylish wig and subtle makeup at every opportunity. And none of the other kids treat her any differently.

(Mild game-plot spoilers follow, but not really.)
    At one point, she even got to dress up as a doctor and NO-ONE QUESTIONED HER QUALIFICATIONS. No-one. Not even older Government Agents. This world of equality and acceptance is second to none.

And furthermore, the occasional squeaker doesn't seem to phase anyone. The boys laugh, the girls pretend it never happened, and in Canada, they outright praise her mastery of their national salute. It's wonderful.

ew9y0DD.png
    3DS FCode: 1993-7512-8991
  • Options
    The girls in South Park don't play with the boys, but the protagonist is a New Kid. There's no reason a New Girl wouldn't want to play with boys.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Other than because the creators of South Park say otherwise.

• Options
    JoshmviiJoshmvii Registered User regular
    A big part of South Park is it's these boys hanging out, and you're one of them. The girls don't like the boys because boys are stupid. Plus the hilarity of getting blindfolded and taken to the girl hideout and being sent on their errands works less if you're a girl because if you were a girl, you'd be one of them, and probably be one of the people they assume is a backstabbing bitch. =P

People who fight for better gender representation in games usually claim they aren't trying to demand it in every game, just to have more examples of good female characters. Not every game/tv show/movie needs equal representation of men and women. My wife and I are playing a badass female in Dark Souls 2, and there's no boob armor or any nonsense, and we just wreck demons. So put that one down for the women.

Also, frankly the gender people should appreciate the fact that your gender is not even important to your character in Stick of Truth. If anything, the game promotes blending of gender lines because you can(and I did) have your character dressed up in wigs and fairy princess outfits and makeup if you so choose. I'm not even entirely sure the game even references your character as a male. Maybe your parents use male pronouns when talking about you at the beginning? Either way the character's gender is simply not important in the game.